Trying to Help a Friend in NY

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JP

JP
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi all, I know I hardly ever post but I'm trying to help a friend who is desperately trying to find an apartmentt for herself, her husband, her small dog and soon a baby. I'm hoping someone here might know of a place in the Bayside, Whitestone, Littleneck area that I could pass along to her. To make her long story short: Her apartment was trashed in the storm and her landlord is being a jerk about fixing it. Her bedroom ceiling had been leaking before the storm and the landlord wouldn't fix it. Then during the storm she walked into her room and slipped because the floor was full of water. She is 7 months pregnant and was hurt so she went to the Hospital. When she returned the roof over her bed had caved in. Landlord still being a jerk and this woman is sleeping in a chair in her living room. She and her husband have no family and I feel so bad for them. I know many people have it worse but she is such a good person and she is always there to help other people - I wish she could catch a break. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and Tyedye Dee can vouch for me in real life! :beard:

#2 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Best of luck.

This message brought to you by Spidergawd JP, in the interest of clarity. OP is NOT me. :smile:

#3 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

have they applied to FEMA for immediate housing financial assistance? if not, they should do so immediately. it's not a home but the
money can't hurt while they're looking.

#4 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

have they applied to FEMA for immediate housing financial assistance? if not, they should do so immediately. it's not a home but the
money can't hurt while they're looking.

Definitely this. I've heard that FEMA's emergency financial assistance has been surprisingly quick in some cases.

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

the dog may be a problem and limits the availables drastically. sucks but troof.

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,379 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

if the housing situation is anything like it is down here, post-Sandy, most apartments were snatched up within days after the storm by those displaced by flood, fire and long term power outages. FEMA is probably her best bet at this point...they have access to housing options that other agencies do not, and can help her financially if needed too.

i believe her local (temporary) FEMA office is in Forest Hills. best of luck to her, and thanks for being a good and helpful friend.

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

FEMA Evacuee Hotel List

http://www.femaevach...s.com/index.php

#8 JP

JP
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi all, I know I hardly ever post but I'm trying to help a friend who is desperately trying to find an apartmentt for herself, her husband, her small dog and soon a baby. I'm hoping someone here might know of a place in the Bayside, Whitestone, Littleneck area that I could pass along to her. To make her long story short: Her apartment was trashed in the storm and her landlord is being a jerk about fixing it. Her bedroom ceiling had been leaking before the storm and the landlord wouldn't fix it. Then during the storm she walked into her room and slipped because the floor was full of water. She is 7 months pregnant and was hurt so she went to the Hospital. When she returned the roof over her bed had caved in. Landlord still being a jerk and this woman is sleeping in a chair in her living room. She and her husband have no family and I feel so bad for them. I know many people have it worse but she is such a good person and she is always there to help other people - I wish she could catch a break. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you everybody! She has been in touch w/ FEMA but I don't know where things stand. Another friend has offered to take the dog for now since that is a problem with finding a place. Hopefully she'll get some good news soon.

#9 JP

JP
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

FEMA Evacuee Hotel List

http://www.femaevach...s.com/index.php

Thank You! I will pass this along to her right now.

#10 JP

JP
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Best of luck.

This message brought to you by Spidergawd JP, in the interest of clarity. OP is NOT me. :smile:

I wondered who the "other JP" was I think I may have a few old PMs for you!

#11 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Another one they could try is www.airbnb.com for short term rentals

#12 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

:lol: Let's make that the "original JP".

And in case I didn't say it previously, welcome to the circus. :smile:

#13 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Tabbooma'd

#14 JP

JP
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thanks again everyone. It sounds like she has come up with a short term resolution. She sends her thanks for your ideas!

#15 JP

JP
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

:lol: Let's make that the "original JP".

And in case I didn't say it previously, welcome to the circus. :smile:

Ok, you can be the original JP but if any more come along I will need a title as well. Thanks for the welocme too, I think I'm in the right place!

#16 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ok, you can be the original JP but if any more come along I will need a title as well. Thanks for the welocme too, I think I'm in the right place!

Deal. And you are probably in the right place. Stick with us and we'll let you in on the inside jokes. I'll give you the first one for free - theDHJ definitely ruined the boards. :funny1:

#17 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Deal. And you are probably in the right place. Stick with us and we'll let you in on the inside jokes. I'll give you the first one for free - theDHJ definitely ruined the boards. :funny1:

:lol:

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

There was no confusing this new JP with Spidergawd, this guy was polite.

#19 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,795 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

There was no confusing this new JP with Spidergawd, this guy was polite.

You make a good case there, counselor.