music horselfies natalie merchant

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Last night about 300 of us screened Dear Governor Cuomo, with a live performance afterwards with The Horseflies and Natalie Merchant. Some footage was taken from this:

We have kept fracking out of NY so far. And we can keep this unsafe poisonous destructive force out of our beautiful land and our safe water and our clear (but often grey) skies if we keep the pressure on the Governor.

Call Governor Cuomo and Ban Fracking in New York: 1-866-584-6799

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,596 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

If anyone wants to know more about fracking and its pitfalls, I have a copy of Gasland I can loan you...

#3 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I wonder how many of those that would pressure Cuomo to stop it voted to elect a president who is pushing it.

Actions have consequences.

Obama Pushes Natural-Gas Fracking to Create 600,000 U.S. Jobs

President Barack Obama pushed drilling for gas in shale rock and support for cleaner energy sources to boost the economy in his final State of the Union address before facing U.S. voters in November.

Hydraulic fracturing, the process of injecting water, sand and chemicals underground to free gas trapped in rock, could create more than 600,000 jobs by the end of the decade, Obama said yesterday. The process, called fracking, is among a list of energy policies Obama said would fuel economic growth.

More
http://www.bloomberg...e-drilling.html

#4 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Called once, will call again, Dan

I am showing GASLAND in one of my classes this week.

#5 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

I wonder how many of those that would pressure Cuomo to stop it voted to elect a president who is pushing it.

Actions have consequences.

Obama Pushes Natural-Gas Fracking to Create 600,000 U.S. Jobs

President Barack Obama pushed drilling for gas in shale rock and support for cleaner energy sources to boost the economy in his final State of the Union address before facing U.S. voters in November.

Hydraulic fracturing, the process of injecting water, sand and chemicals underground to free gas trapped in rock, could create more than 600,000 jobs by the end of the decade, Obama said yesterday. The process, called fracking, is among a list of energy policies Obama said would fuel economic growth.

More
http://www.bloomberg...e-drilling.html

"you have no right to complain"

:angry1:

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,596 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I've written Cuomo before on this, and will again.

#7 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,661 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm pretty much for fracking

...as long as they leave the Delaware River alone

#8 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

"you have no right to complain"

:angry1:

Everyone has the right to complain but when you vote for someone knowing they stand against you on an issue I feel your complaints about that issue lose a bit of credibility. I'd bet well over 200 of the 300 people at that event voted for the guy who is trying to push through the very thing they're fighting against.

There was a candidate who did support a national ban on fracking, she got my vote

Jill Stein on Energy & Oil

National ban on fracking; natural gas is not clean

Q: Many liberals say natural gas is a "bridge fuel" toward a clean energy future. How do you feel about that?
A: The current science confirms the cynics here. When you do full life-cycle accounting of it, it is not a cleaner fuel, and is very carbon intensive. Add into that all the impacts on water and we do not want to be going there.

Q: Would you support a national ban on fracking?
A: Absolutely. We should not be opening up new lines of carbon right now, like shale gas and shale oil, as well as tar sands oil, and we just cannot go there right now if we do not want to go over the climate cliff. We're looking at 5-6 degrees Celsius increases of warming by the end of century and that's just not survivable. People need to hear the truth about that. Already, the US has been pulled back in their climate understanding by intense propaganda campaign, but even so, they're seeing it right now, with the droughts and the floods and the hurricanes and all that. Source: Interview with Steve Horn of Truthout.org , Jan 29, 2012

http://www.ontheissu...nergy_+_Oil.htm

#9 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Everyone has the right to complain but when you vote for someone knowing they stand against you on an issue I feel your complaints about that issue lose a bit of credibility. I'd bet well over 200 of the 300 people at that event voted for the guy who is trying to push through the very thing they're fighting against.

There was a candidate who did support a national ban on fracking, she got my vote

Jill Stein on Energy & Oil

National ban on fracking; natural gas is not clean

Q: Many liberals say natural gas is a "bridge fuel" toward a clean energy future. How do you feel about that?
A: The current science confirms the cynics here. When you do full life-cycle accounting of it, it is not a cleaner fuel, and is very carbon intensive. Add into that all the impacts on water and we do not want to be going there.

Q: Would you support a national ban on fracking?
A: Absolutely. We should not be opening up new lines of carbon right now, like shale gas and shale oil, as well as tar sands oil, and we just cannot go there right now if we do not want to go over the climate cliff. We're looking at 5-6 degrees Celsius increases of warming by the end of century and that's just not survivable. People need to hear the truth about that. Already, the US has been pulled back in their climate understanding by intense propaganda campaign, but even so, they're seeing it right now, with the droughts and the floods and the hurricanes and all that. Source: Interview with Steve Horn of Truthout.org , Jan 29, 2012

http://www.ontheissu...nergy_+_Oil.htm

I was being snarky, J. I agree :)

#10 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

I'd invite you to go live in a town where one of these wells exists and then let us know if you still support it :)

#11 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Why the Delaware River?

Are you making a joke?

The Susquehanna, Cayuga Lake, Seneca Lake, the Hudson River, they will all be effected if fracking is allowed in NY. Thousands of aquifers. Thousands of ponds and lakes and rivers.

Then there's the radiation.

And poisoning of fresh water by injecting it with chemicals into the fracking wells

#12 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

By the way, the Deleware Basin has a temporary frack ban.

But aren't they planning to extract huge amounts of water from it to be poisoned with fracking chemicals? Or is that another river I'm thinking of?

#13 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

I was being snarky, J. I agree :)

You had be a little baffled there (not very difficult to do) :lol:

#14 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Called once, will call again, Dan

I am showing GASLAND in one of my classes this week.

If you would like to investigate screening Dear Gov. Cuomo get in touch with me. I can hook you up.

Good work, CC

#15 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

#16 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

The movie Dear Governor Cuomo is a sort of letter to the governor.

Right now the governor has a lot of say as to what will happen.

He has a choice in front of him. It is a choice that will, yes, determine his legacy as governor of this beautiful fantastic state, but more importantly will determine the future of millions of people's lives, especially those of us who live here in the heart of the state, who rely on our wells for clean water, our forests to act as the lungs for this big state.

On the one hand the governor can choose to allow this dirty polluting road destroying technology into the state, under the present laws that don't require companies disclose what they put in the ground. It will no doubt bring a short term economic boost while it destroys our thriving agricultural and tourist industries. No doubt certain landowners will make some coin. If the governor chooses this path it will not only fracture the land, but it will also fracture the state, and the governor will face bitter and solid opposition and resistance from those who are his natural base.

But this film asks, this film pleads the governor to be our hero. To be the person who saves us from all this.

The NYS anti-fracking movement is the most powerful profound and biggest grassroots movement in New York in memory. We are a broad based movement that includes business owners, farmers, landowners, elected representatives, teachers, police officers, musicians, accountants, scientists, professors, plumbers, electricians, republicans, democratics, green party, anarchiss and independents.... really from all walks of NY life. There are hundreds of organisation that have sprung up across the state from villages, towns and cities. Together the people of NY have successfully kept fracking out of this state.

Dear Governor Cuomo,

Please be the man you said you were when you campaigned for governor. You said “It is imperative that any drilling in the Marcellus Shale be environmentally sensitive and safe.”

Please have the new health review you ordered be an independent review and not a "review' merely being held to make fracking regulations less prone to legal attack.

Fracking is not safe.

Please do not turn NY Stateinto West Virgina

Please be our hero. We need your help

#17 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

tru story. Had dinner with former Governor Mario Cuomo at a software conference... He was funny as fuck. " It's funny they call us Governors... isnt that a device applied to restrict or impede the ability to progress?? "

#18 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Natalie is a tremendous talent. For your listening (and watching) pleasure

#19 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,351 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Ah, horseflies. :D

Nothing policital to see here.....

#20 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,596 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Dear Governor Cuomo,

I am writing in support of a continued ban on hydraulic fracturing for gas exploration in New York State.

Fracking is, at the very best, a technology which raises significant health and environmental concerns in the areas in which it is used. It consumes precious water resources, and evidence is mounting which suggests that it contaminates the wells and properties of citizens who live in those areas.

I urge you in the strongest terms to protect New York, its residents and those of us who love to visit there by doing everything in your power to continue to prevent the use of fracking technology. The benefit of a temporary increase in the natural gas supply is far outweighed by the damage its collection may cause to New York and its present and future citizens.

Sincerely,

Tim the Beek

#21 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dear Governor Cuomo,

I am writing in support of a continued ban on hydraulic fracturing for gas exploration in New York State.

Fracking is, at the very best, a technology which raises significant health and environmental concerns in the areas in which it is used. It consumes precious water resources, and evidence is mounting which suggests that it contaminates the wells and properties of citizens who live in those areas.

I urge you in the strongest terms to protect New York, its residents and those of us who love to visit there by doing everything in your power to continue to prevent the use of fracking technology. The benefit of a temporary increase in the natural gas supply is far outweighed by the damage its collection may cause to New York and its present and future citizens.

Sincerely,

Tim the Beek

#22 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

what exactly do you say when you call? Do they usually pick up right away? These are serious questions. I've never called an elected servant before.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music, horselfies, natalie merchant