Hedges piece

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hedges has always been a too dramatic for me, but interested in responses from those who voted for B.O.

"Liberals, by voting for Barack Obama, betrayed the core values they use to define themselves—the rule of law, the safeguarding of civil liberties, the protection of unions, the preservation of social welfare programs, environmental accords, financial regulation, a defiance of unjust war and torture, and the abolition of drone wars. The liberal class clung desperately during the long nightmare of this political campaign to one or two issues, such as protecting a woman’s right to choose and gender equality, to justify its complicity in a monstrous evil..

The American Dream has run out of gas,” wrote the novelist J.G. Ballard. “The car has stopped. It no longer supplies the world with its images, its dreams, its fantasies. No more. It’s over. It supplies the world with its nightmares now...

Liberals have assured us that after the election they will build a movement to hold the president accountable—although how or when or what this movement will look like they cannot say. They didn’t hold him accountable during his first term. They won’t during his second. They have played their appointed roles in the bankrupt political theater that passes for electoral politics. They have wrung their hands, sung like a Greek chorus about the evils of the perfidious opponent, assured us that there is no other viable option, and now they will exit the stage. They will carp and whine in the wings until they are trotted out again to assume their role in the next political propaganda campaign of disempowerment and fear. They will, in the meantime, become the butt of ridicule and derision by the very politicians they supported."

http://www.truthdig...._class_20121112

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image

#3 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

yeah, because Gary Johnson or Jill Stein would end evil... I hardly think so.

who are we voting for anyway, President or messiah? I voted for a President whose imperfections I can live with.

I don't think 51% of the population just votes for the person they think is going to win as if it were a wager.

On the other hand, it seems there's about 47% of the population will vote for anyone, even Mitt Romney, as long as there's an ® next to their name.

By the way, which Mitt Romney was your favorite? I'm guessing the "severely conservative" one.

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

Interesting piece, to me,

Obama could have had my vote again, had he not shown him self to fall on the side of extrajudicial execution, disrespect for the Constitution, hypocrisy, dishonesty and his corporate masters.

#5 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Tim, I asked Sarah what she thought of the article.

"pontificating douche"

God, I love her

:lol:

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

It's just always so hard to know where she stands. :mrgreen:

#7 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

I think he can be (a pontificating douche, that is). He could chill with the overdoses of hyperbole. And, he rarely, if ever, has anything hopeful to say. But there is truth underlying his concerns,

You think he voted? Stein?

#8 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Yep

http://www.truthdig....green_20121029/

The November election is not a battle between Republicans and Democrats. It is not a battle between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. It is a battle between the corporate state and us. And if we do not immediately engage in this battle we are finished, as climate scientists have made clear. I will defy corporate power in small and large ways. I will invest my energy now solely in acts of resistance, in civil disobedience and in defiance. Those who rebel are our only hope. And for this reason I will vote next month for Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate, although I could as easily vote for Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party. I will step outside the system.