Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

a good maul?

Posted Image

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

I like mine with a Honda engine attached to it.

#3 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

I've been looking at maul's myself. I don't have any experience with it. I'd go with the heaviest one you can buy... Home Depot I think sells "Collins" brand. 8.5lbs.

I recently saw somebody with a very heavy steel wedge on a handle.. like nothing I've ever seen before. But he bashed the crap out of some 36" rounds, just to make them light enough to lift into his truck. I haven't seen it anywhere though, but I've been looking.

#4 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

a friend of mine loves to chop wood, and I recently found out that not all spiked pieces of wood are axe's so I'm new to the whole maul, and he mentioned his was getting a little loose on top of his maul. So I wasn't sure if maul's were the same like name brands or walmarts...

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,450 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Darth Maul was the bestx

#6 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

Wood handle, not too heavy head. It's more about how you hit it than the maul. Block the wood and give it a few weeks to check, then split it along the checks. I've used fiberglass and metal handles and it just wrecks your hands. For large pieces, I use wedges to make them smaller.

#7 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

a friend of mine loves to chop wood, and I recently found out that not all spiked pieces of wood are axe's so I'm new to the whole maul, and he mentioned his was getting a little loose on top of his maul. So I wasn't sure if maul's were the same like name brands or walmarts...

You can get small metal wedges to put into the maul end of the handle to tighten up the head

#8 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,919 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have a Grainger sledge eye maul and love it.
Just gotta wear gloves to keep it from wrecking your hands.

Posted Image

#9 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,721 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

#10 paco

paco
  • VibeTribe
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

... And make sure you sharpen it. Like many edged tools, they're not actually ready to go right off the shelf.