Looking for a pediatrician.....

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I have started to look for a pediatrician for baby moon.

What are the most important qualities to have in one?

Does anyone know of any in NYC that they would recommend?

Any helpful tips and such would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

Interview them. You'll know when you find him/her. everyone has different things that are important to them. For me it was a good bedside manner, that I would almost always see my doc, that he/she is a D.O. & is knowledgeable on homeopathic or at least accepting of it, one that did not push meds.

figure out whats important to you. also think about wait time to see the doc. when you've got a sick baby/toddler, waiting 1/2 hr or more would be torture (and unacceptable to me). when you find docs that seem to fit the bill, schedule a meeting with them & just chat

#3 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks...

#4 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Yup. For my first 3 kids...I just wanted a strong doctor that knew his/her shit. I didn't want meds pushed. But they turned out to be med pushers.

So, I had to really search for this next baby...considering some of my new thoughts on certain topics. ;)

I found this amazing doctor that not once has asked me about anything she knows I'm not interested. Which is very very important to me.

I now I have someone who knows her shit and won't put anything on you. Respect and she has actually spent time listening to what "I" have to say and has found it to be very interesting.

Good luck!

<3

#5 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

thanks....

its amazing how many new things im looking into.

next on my list is a good nursing bra :wink:

#6 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ha, I have yet...after nursing 4 babies...to find a good one of those. But I REALLY loved the nursing Tanks...you can get them at Target and JcPenney's. :)

soooo comfy.

#7 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I just use sports bras, lol

and I don't use a ped, they just go to my GP

#8 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have been looking at the bras at Target.... I found that online they have a lot more than what they carry in the store. :bigsmile:

#9 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

I loved nursing bras <3

Finding a dr that values your input is awesome. I have that too but I have no idea how you could find that ahead of time. I think I may have 'earned' a bit of that by not being a hysterical call every 5 minutes, in the office daily, kind of mom. We are so rarely there on a sick visit, that when we are, he runs into the room like we're on fire!! :lol:

#10 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I loved nursing tanks, too! As for bras, I went to Target and WalMart (whoops. :lol: )

I love our pediatrician's office! We went by word of mouth. Rich's sister takes the kids there, and so does his cousin. We have heard nothing but good things about them, so we decided to go there.

So far, so good! :)

#11 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

ask your ob/gyn!

#12 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I went to the one my OB suggested yesterday. The office is right across the lobby from my doctor.

They seem nice enough. I am going to do some research on line today and see how they ranked in the New Yorker list of best doctors. If they work out I would say that was the easiest search ever! :wink:

#13 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

I bought two of the nursing tanks as your guys suggested.

I will wait on the bras till after the baby is born......

#14 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Did you get the nursing tanks? The nursing bras suck...don't even bother. Go comfort. :lol:

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT give my kids vaccinations....

Having one child on the spectrum, I just don't trust the system....

#16 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

That's where the "research for the right ped" comes into play. It's hard work. But it can be done. They're out there and they're more available then they used to be.

#17 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Nursing bras aren't HORRIBLE, but tanks are way comfier. When I would go somewhere, bras were obviously a little more practical (for me). Course, I had to wear the pads inside the bra so I didn't leak everywhere. :lol: Still had to wear the pads with the tanks, too. Loved the lansinoh nursing pads!

#18 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I quit nursing bras the baby they came out with the tanks....Which was this last one. They just never fit right with me and I LOVE having material over my belly. personal preference is all. I still vote OUT WITH BRAS. :lol:

#19 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

If I had to do it all over again, I would NOT give my kids vaccinations....

Having one child on the spectrum, I just don't trust the system....

I don't want to get into a debate but I believe in vaccines, I will have my child get them.

I think most of the time i'll be wearing nursing tanks and nursing sports bras. I love being comfortable....

I like having full support bras so once my milk comes in i'll try on the full support nursing ones and have at least one for when I go out into the world.

#20 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yea, vaccines are like talking about religion and politics all at the same time.

Just do what is best for you and yours and live and let live. <3

#21 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Yea, vaccines are like talking about religion and politics all at the same time.

Just do what is best for you and yours and live and let live. <3

Well said.

I love that we all can speak our minds and have different opinions and still be a close family.

#22 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ok.... so I have a question about labor and delivery.

Can you give any suggestions on how to make the room more relaxed and comfortable?

I bought some flame-less candles, i have been putting together relaxing music and i am bringing my ipod speaker system, and i've packed my favorite pillows with water proof cases.

But if you guys can suggest anything that worked for you that would be awesome!

#23 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I went into labor not knowing what to expect, and I can tell you that anything I thought surely went out the window once I was in labor.

Music? Didn't think about it. Relaxing techniques? Forgot them all. Ipods, cell phones, etc...forgot I even had them.

The only thing that worked for me was ice chips, a cool wash cloth on my head, and walking around and rocking. :lol: Thank goodness for my midwife...she was a big help, and so was Rich when it came down to it.

I'm not much help, I know, but just being honest that you can go in there wanting to do this this and this and use that and do this...and it can all change in a hot minute. :)

#24 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

I have helped to deliver 3 of my friends babies.....

I have a small idea of things and I am sure I will forget them all when I am in labor.... :lol:

But i figure if i assign the room prep to Cameraman it might help him stay calm and might help me in the long run. :wink:

#25 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

Yeah, see my labor was "crazy".

I went in to be induced Sunday afternoon (slight preeclampsia), and they were going to start pitocin Monday morning at 7. They inserted cervidil at 5:45pm Sunday evening. Rich went home around 10 because we figured nothing would happen until after pitocin in the morning. Right after he left my contractions started and my water broke (and I didn't know it :lol: ). The nurse was supposed to check the fluid to see if it was amniotic fluid, she didn't, told me to relax, and gave me an ambien. :lol: Finally the nurse started paying attention to the monitor and my cries of pain, and at midnight I called him and said they are calling the midwife, you better come in. He got there in a tizzy, she got there, she checked me, I was already an 8. No time for an epidural, and 2:36am on Monday she was born. :lol:

It was all so fast and crazy, and I wouldn't change a damn thing. I hope next time I will remember breathing techniques. I remember yelling I CAN'T BREATHE and I WANT TO GO HOME a bunch of times. :lol:

They joked it was a magical batch of cervidil. Another girl that was induced with it had the same thing happen. No need for pitocin!

So yeah, I went in wanting an epidural and had to change my birth plan to no epidural. It was crazy and intense and awesome all at the same time, and I'd do it again in a heart beat. :)

#26 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wow... that is crazy.

We have a plan but know that we will be lucky to get any of it.

Our hospital has taken in most of NYU when it was evacuated so its crazy crowded and busy there. They were saying of the 5 floors for labor and delivery and recovery all rooms are busy at all times.

I hope by the time I am suppose to give birth NYU is reopened and they aren't taking their patience any longer. I would like to be able to have a private room for recovery so my son can be with me the entire time. I don't want him to go to the nursery if possible.

#27 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I brought a small fan with me and my own pillows and blanket.

#28 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

OOH! A fan is something I want next time! I kept turning the air down so it was freezing in there, and nurses kept bitching at me. lol I also brought my boppy for after the baby was born! That came in handy for sure!

#29 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Fan and bobby great idea....

I have pillows and blanket packed already.......

#30 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

I brought my own toiletries...soap, shampoo, conditioner. My first shower after labor was AMAZING!

#31 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

With my first I was able to labor in a warm tub with jets that really helped me through the contractions, pretty much up until it was time for the epidural. I wasn't able to do that with Abby for a couple of reasons, but I remember with Jerry it really helped.

My other big tip for when you are nursing is if you are a ridiculous leaker like I was, you can cut maxi pads in half and use them for nursing pads in your bra- especially when you're just around your house. It's so much cheaper than going through tons of nursing pads- and they're thicker and more absorbent anyway so they just worked better.

As far as a pediatrician when they were babies, I just went to our family PCP. I loved her- she had something like 6 kids. She was recommended to me by my midwives.

#32 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I brought my own toiletries...soap, shampoo, conditioner. My first shower after labor was AMAZING!

Yeah I have those packed, robe, sleep wear, slippers, clothes, baby clothes to bring baby moon home in, pillow, blanket, baby book, hospital paperwork, and don't laugh but i don't wear rented shoes so there was no way that I was wearing some nasty old hospital gown I bought two gownies on sale for $9.00 each.

#33 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Aw, that's cute!!! :)

I wore the gown before and during. I was able to wear yoga pants and a nursing tank a few hours after labor!

I'm so excited for you lady!!!!

#34 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks.... I am getting pretty excited.

I realized last night i have less than 2 months to finish things up around the house..... so much stuff i want to purge and organize first.

I have been working on scanning a ton of documents that has freed up so much space but i really need to get rid of a bunch more.

#35 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Tennis ball for massaging you back during labor (this helped me) & they had a large exercise ball for me to sit on. Loved that too. But I agree, the plan usually goes out the window. We were going to play Mickey Hart's Music to be born by - yeah that didn't happen :lol: I'd say my best advice is to be flexible. Lots of things happen or don't happen. If you get 'stuck' on wanting things a certain way, it could just make the process all that much more difficult for you & the baby <3

#36 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

I packed the excersice ball and a hot pack for my back.

I'm 34 weeks now. Getting closer.

My shower is in 12 days. I can't believe how much it cost in food.

Good thing is that I already had plenty of liquor so I don't have to buy any :wink:

#37 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

So my milk finally came in......

After two days of engorgement I have it under control. I am a super producer and it kinda sucks. I have to pump every two hours or i am in pain and get engorged.

Even though the baby can't take it from the breast yet he is getting my milk.

Oh and I cut my nipple today, not cracked or dry but cut it with a sharp pair of sheers. :bang:

I can't wait for this to start getting better.... :wink: :lol:

#38 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

yeah the first week is ROUGH! but hang in there, you'll strike a balance. Don't pump too much or you'll keep producing that much!!

#39 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'm trying to stay every three hours. Some times I have to do it at every two hours because of timing and such.

It is a hard balance to learn.

I have found that if i don't pump on time i will start to engorge quickly. I have enough milk in the freezer already for a month.

#40 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

GM,,,I swear by this stuff ((after 3 babies, I still use it ))

http://www.kerrysher...balsalves.shtml

miracle salve is the  bomb!

#41 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Wow good for you for pumping so good.  That's so awesome.  :)

#42 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

That is awesome!!! :woot:

My milk came in super early and I remember how engorged I got.  Rich went home for the night and came back in the morning and was like, :eek:

Keep up the good work, mama! :heart:

#43 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

OMG with Catie, my oldest, I was so engorged, I swear they were the size of basketballs!! your body finds it's balance after a bit. Hang in there. <3

#44 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

OMG with Catie, my oldest, I was so engorged, I swear they were the size of basketballs!! your body finds it's balance after a bit. Hang in there. <3

Fer reals.  I'm a 38 DD when not lactating,,,,

I can't see my feet!

#45 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

I'm a 38 D so I hear ya!

#46 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks. The over night is the hardest. Having to try and get him to latch, feed him and then pump. It's an hour long process.

I am so tired any more.

#47 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

it's only temporary and it's probably the most trying thing you'll ever have to do.  you can do it mama.  <3

#48 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

surrender to it.  <3

#49 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

yeah my kids are 6 & almost 8 & I'm STILL tired! :lol: Welcome to parenting <3

#50 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Try getting through the no sleep phase and having a life of your own....and then getting pregnant again.  OY!

it's been hard....but, i wouldn't change it.  Plus, my baby decided to sleep until noon today.  Crazy.  I haven't slept 10 hours in a long time.  I think I'm going to pop with energy.  :lol: