• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 749 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

HI,

First, some background: We had no power, no heat, no hot water, no stove to boil anything, etc. for 7 days. Got it all back on Monday. Then last night before the show it started snowing - pretty significantly. We were thrilled to get a few moments away to escape reality and dance with smiling heads.

The band was loose at the start, but picked up very nicely over the course of the show. Most of the second set was smoking, and there were a nice amount of smoking moments in the first set too. At set break, word spread that the whole first set was the entire "Wake of the Flood" album. Pretty cool tribute.

Half Step specifically was pretty loose. When the Rio Grandio coda could have gone down the wrong track and wrecked, Jackie picked it up and brought the band with him. They were slowing down (as if to figure out where to go) and he started rocking harder, and motioned to Russo to get the tempo up. Worked out great and the band rocked out the ending nicely. Phil looked especially pleased at the end of the song.

This band configuration is quite different than Furthur surprisingly, because Jackie did a lot of lead work and it pushed John back to PLQ-style rhythm/lead/rhythm sort of. Jackie had a short but poignant moment of "Jerry" sound/soloing that was quite impressive and he really changed the sound of the band when so much of the night he adopted a very Southern Rock type sound. John did shine at times, but most of those times were because of his very good singing (and solo) on Stella Blue and Weather Report. Although Jackie totally owned Let it Grow.

There were two space jams in there, one somewhere towards the end of the first set and the other between The Other One. I remember in the second space jam John had a really cool sound that was different - which was nice, because most of the time his sound was nothing new, same ol/same ol. It was good, but nothing new.

Jackie surprised me by sticking so often to that Allmans-y sound, but it worked great for him. When he and Jeff shared keys duties, they also elevated the band to new heights. Unbroken Chain, for example.

The second set was pretty much on fire with smooth transitions, powerful song work ups, and a great vibe from the band, which finally seemed locked in for the whole set, whereas the first set was a bit shakey at times.

The crowd was very mellow - it was not sold out and there were plenty of tickets outside. Everyone was very nice and very chill, and there were many dancing hard and many more sitting and rocking in their chairs upstairs where we were. It was a VERY pleasant night, with a great sense of comroderie among the crowd who made it through the thick snowfall to get there.

I suspect this band will be on fire by the ned of this tour. Last night was a lot of fun and a good show. B first set, B+/A- second set. A+ setlist.

J

#2 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

ts;dr

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

ts;dr

sounds like it was a real chill show. Glad u made it home safe too.

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,287 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Audio of the show: http://www.ustream.t...corded/26808490

#5 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

First, some background: We had no power, no heat, no hot water, no stove to boil anything, etc. for 7 days. Got it all back on Monday. Then last night before the show it started snowing - pretty significantly. We were thrilled to get a few moments away to escape reality and dance with smiling heads.

The band was loose at the start, but picked up very nicely over the course of the show. Most of the second set was smoking, and there were a nice amount of smoking moments in the first set too. At set break, word spread that the whole first set was the entire "Wake of the Flood" album. Pretty cool tribute.

Half Step specifically was pretty loose. When the Rio Grandio coda could have gone down the wrong track and wrecked, Jackie picked it up and brought the band with him. They were slowing down (as if to figure out where to go) and he started rocking harder, and motioned to Russo to get the tempo up. Worked out great and the band rocked out the ending nicely. Phil looked especially pleased at the end of the song.

This band configuration is quite different than Furthur surprisingly, because Jackie did a lot of lead work and it pushed John back to PLQ-style rhythm/lead/rhythm sort of. Jackie had a short but poignant moment of "Jerry" sound/soloing that was quite impressive and he really changed the sound of the band when so much of the night he adopted a very Southern Rock type sound. John did shine at times, but most of those times were because of his very good singing (and solo) on Stella Blue and Weather Report. Although Jackie totally owned Let it Grow.

There were two space jams in there, one somewhere towards the end of the first set and the other between The Other One. I remember in the second space jam John had a really cool sound that was different - which was nice, because most of the time his sound was nothing new, same ol/same ol. It was good, but nothing new.

Jackie surprised me by sticking so often to that Allmans-y sound, but it worked great for him. When he and Jeff shared keys duties, they also elevated the band to new heights. Unbroken Chain, for example.

The second set was pretty much on fire with smooth transitions, powerful song work ups, and a great vibe from the band, which finally seemed locked in for the whole set, whereas the first set was a bit shakey at times.

The crowd was very mellow - it was not sold out and there were plenty of tickets outside. Everyone was very nice and very chill, and there were many dancing hard and many more sitting and rocking in their chairs upstairs where we were. It was a VERY pleasant night, with a great sense of comroderie among the crowd who made it through the thick snowfall to get there.

I suspect this band will be on fire by the ned of this tour. Last night was a lot of fun and a good show. B first set, B+/A- second set. A+ setlist.

Again and Again

#6 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 986 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Glad you got to dance and be around some smiling faces after a long 7 days :-) :heart:
Go phil!

#7 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Nice review. I enjoyed the show to the max. Painful getting there though...the 30 minute ride turned into a 2 hour ordeal with traffic jams everywhere. My buddy (Phil aka one) tried very hard to get to the show, but the traffic and parking situation beat him down. At 9pm, he aborted the mission and missed the show.

#8 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Audio of the show: http://www.ustream.t...corded/26808490

What's with the commercials playing over the concert?
Is that typical for ustream?

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,287 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

No clue, found the link, started listening, paused due to distractions and have not revisited.

#10 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,388 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Nice review. I enjoyed the show to the max. Painful getting there though...the 30 minute ride turned into a 2 hour ordeal with traffic jams everywhere. My buddy (Phil aka one) tried very hard to get to the show, but the traffic and parking situation beat him down. At 9pm, he aborted the mission and missed the show.

Its commendable he even tried...i decided not to even go to the grocery store out in that snow last night and stayed in and made grillled cheese and soup for dinner.

#11 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,529 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the great review!

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,529 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Where's the wellmont, btw?

#13 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,724 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Montclair, NJ

#14 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,529 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Ah. Les Moonves territory. Thx!

#15 rock n roll goddess

rock n roll goddess
  • VibeTribe
  • 351 posts
  • LocationHighland NY

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi FECK...thanks for the translation ((((((I've been thinking of You brother hope you are well)))))))

glad You made it to the show Again, and Again..looks like a special one