Photo
- - - - -

Did you lose respect for any friends during this election season?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

If so, why?

The person who got the most doodie points from me was this woman who would proudly proclaim that she had NO Republican friends, that everyone she knew was voting the same way she was, and she just couldn't conceive of being friendly with anyone who would vote differently.

Really? Really? Wow.

#2 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,390 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Barf

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

This thread is hidden because you have the entire board set to ignore.

#4 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

I have a friend that pasted the most ridiculous stories that Fox News could cook up on Facebook every day, even those stupid Jon McNaughton paintings with Obama burning the Constitution.... The supreme moment was when he said that anyone who was a Democrat should just leave the country...

Definitely lost a lot of respect.

#5 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

This post can not be viewed, because you have TakeAStepBack on your ignore list.

:rolling:

#6 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

To the original question, I really don't know or care. I get deleted, or sometimes delete depending on my mood. I really couldn't tell you the exact # of my "friends" right now, nor do I care to look. Of course, CC and TtB are prolly throwing the #s off... prolly. :lol:

#7 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,109 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

One thing I noticed: I saw several people who I've often heard talk about tolerance, co-existing, respect, etc. posting some of the more narrow-minded screeds I read. I won't necessarily say I lost respect for anyone because I know its easy to get heated when you're passionate about something, but it was kinda eye-opening in some instances.

#8 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

To the original question, I really don't know or care. I get deleted, or sometimes delete depending on my mood. I really couldn't tell you the exact # of my "friends" right now, nor do I care to look. Of course, CC and TtB are prolly throwing the #s off... prolly. :lol:

:lol:

You just lost one. deactivated again. :lmao:

#9 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

I try not to respect any of my friends to begin with. That way I'm not disappointed over petty political arguments :P

#10 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,109 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

I try not to respect any of my friends to begin with, that way I'm not disappointed over petty political arguments :P

:thup: :lol:

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

I just pull my pants down and show them the goods. Right from the start they know what they're working with. :undecided:

#12 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 986 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

Haha...very nice Seany!

#13 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

:lol:

You just lost one. deactivated again. :lmao:

I try not to respect any of my friends to begin with. That way I'm not disappointed over petty political arguments :P

:rolling:

#14 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 24,820 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

More aquaintences then good friends. I have a real problem with people that would vote for a Candidate that says he would create an amendment to ban gay marriage. Then smile and hug me.. But I take the high road. Not going to drop friends over their selfish or close minded views. People can always change.

#15 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

More aquaintences then good friends. I have a real problem with people that would vote for a Candidate that says he would create an amendment to ban gay marriage. Then smile and hug me.. But I take the high road. Not going to drop friends over their selfish or close minded views. People can always change.

that's probably what "don't take it personal" means.

if they're still willing to say hello and give you a hug, then they're probably not taking it personally...

It's hard though, when it's a personal situation you're dealing with personally.

#16 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Oops, my bad. I originally read the thread title as "Did you lose any friends during this election season?"

Yes, but that is par for the course when differing opinions apply, the extremes get deleted unless they're worthy for me to witness the train wreck. On what I thought the thread said, I certainly hope so. :lol:

#17 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,038 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

I added a lot of people to scroll-over territory.

#18 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

I added a lot of people to scroll-over territory.

:bananassad:

#19 tiedyesky

tiedyesky
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,382 posts
  • Locationjust outside the box

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

I set a shit ton on ignore...ironically, none of you are on ignore :dunno: I may need to rethink that :lol:

#20 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

I used to think a lot of you were loliberal propaganda-spewing automatons. But living in SF has made ALL of you look pretty good in that dept. :lol:

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,295 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yes as intolerance for differences of opinions is indicative of a narrowness of mind.

#22 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,295 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image

#23 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

:lol: I'll prolly be your friend. For a while.

#24 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

FTMFW! :lmao:

Posted Image

<3 :)

May have lost the respect of a few folks this year, but that's their problem, not mine.

#25 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

A recent FB thread based on this

His comment: Wow Are you kidding me this is is what its come to Dems?

Me:Are you really trying to make a political statement based around the Howard Stern show? Please tell me you're joking.

Him: Its all a big joke from here you dum ass lib!

Him:I gotta edit my friends list starting with you!

yeah, I lost some respect :lol:

#26 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Posted Image

#27 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I find it interesting that most who posted in this thread interpreted "friends" as people they know on the internet and not IRL.
The times they are a changin.

#28 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

What if you know them in the real world, but see them on the tron more often? Still count?

#29 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

What if you know them in the real world, but see them on the tron more often? Still count?

:dunno: I'm not the "friend" police. Just making an observation.

#30 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,368 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

This.

#31 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,550 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Yes as intolerance for differences of opinions is indicative of a narrowness of mind.

nicely said, TEO

I think we serve ourselves and each other when we cultivate the ability to simply observe an opinion (after all, it is simply an opinion), rather than attach our own ego to it, thereby becoming upset by it. (work in progress over here)

amazing book that speaks to this:

Posted Image

"Don Miguel Ruiz wrote that bestseller 12 years ago, and now has written "The Fifth Agreement" with his son, don Jose. The fifth agreement is deceptively simple, yet incredibly profound. It states, "Be skeptical but learn to listen." While the first four agreements deal with our relationship to ourselves and how to create a happy life, the fifth agreement deals with our relationship to others, and how to create a better world.

"The Fifth Agreement" asks us to be skeptical and use discernment when listening others, and to understand that everyone has his or her own perspective and agenda reflected in their words. It is up to us to discern the truth behind the words, but always to be respectful of another's right to his or her views, even if we don't share them. Each of us is the artist of our own life, the director of our own play, and we can make it an adventure or a drama - heaven or hell, it's up to us."

#32 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Most of my friends are level headed (relatively speaking) so even those that I don't see eye to eye with weren't spewing the type of hateful rhetoric I'd need to hear for me to lose respect for them.

I hope they feel the same way :lol:

#33 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,289 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I hope they feel the same way :lol:

See post #9. :wink:

#34 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

See post #9. :wink:

When we're all in the same gutter, we're all equals :thumbup: :thumbup:

#35 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,295 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I picked up "The Fifth Agreement" a while ago and have yet to read it. Looks like time to move it up the list.

#36 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I thought she meant mostly online friends like on facebook, who you've known since grade school and maybe are finding out for the first time what their political beliefs have become. This is the first big election in the past 4 years... and 4 years ago it didn't feel like I had half as many friends as I do now... because now when you meet someone in person, don't you usually friend them on facebook nowadays? oh and my graduating class only recently all got in touch with one another... so for me facebook is mostly all real life friends and contacts in real life, only sorted and stored on the internet.