Photo

How is everyboardie doing?.....Power back?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi guys, How are you?
Do you have power?
Is everyboardie hanging in there?

Hope all fare well thru this next storm due to hit tonight.

Posted Image

#2 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I was fine until my mom called & told me they lost power again. Had it back for a whole day and now, pfft. Here's hoping its temporary because of a repair being made near them.

#3 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

no power and no prospects. they're now requiring every house to be inspected by an electrician.
just call the hotline and we'll get right on that. as if the civil service yentas who sit at their desks doing nothing all day down at the town
hall have the qualifications to organize a logistical nightmare like this! any day now...

and FEMA is a complete waste of time. they sent me an automated voicemail saying i'm eligible for hotel accommodations.
there's not a vacant hotel room within 150 miles of me. i really get a kick out of the repeated TV clips showing the
national guard driving around in their humvees handing out water and blankets and inedible food as if this is our salvation.

just blowing off some steam. :angry:

#4 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am good at the moment.... Hoping that this storm doesn't knock out my power.

I feel for Staten Island, Long Island and New Jersey for the rain and storm surge that they are going to be hit with again.

#5 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

good at home, as are my Dad & Uncle on SI, Jersey bothers still powerless.
office is open, but no heat - so i'm headed back home to ride this one out.
spending time w/ TtC - almost trusts me now, layed down on my foot the other day :)
no gas in my car, so i've been walking more.

#6 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,150 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Just got a call fom my sis in law and we have power!!!

I'm in Lindenhurst, Long Island...maybe some of our Nassau County folks may be up and running now???

#7 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Powerless. New estimate on the website is Sunday, word on the street weeks.
It is what it is and I keep reminding myself how lucky I am compared to some without homes or complete messes of one.

I filled my assortment of gas cans this morning in anticipation for this storm, but just found out I will be losing 2.5 gallons back to my neighbor who got a genny himself now. Just have to conserve now. Gas is gold.

My heart goes out to the island folks. Hang in there. You guys are tough though. Mother Nature is not going to knock you guys out.

edit to add: and to you my Jersey shore peeps, I love u guys. you will also rise above :heart:

#8 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Just got a call fom my sis in law and we have power!!!

I'm in Lindenhurst, Long Island...maybe some of our Nassau County folks may be up and running now???

awesome news!

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,228 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Indomitable human spirit :heart:

#10 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hang in their guys.

Miss you all and wish i could help.

#11 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,379 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

we lost power again, for about an hour tonight...when it came back i heard a shout of joy rise up over the neighborhood :lol:

sending warm thoughts, love and light to everyone out there still without power :heart:

#12 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Liz's power went out at about 5, and is still out.

#13 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

Still warm and with power... 3 inches of perfect snowball making snow in Asbury Park. Amazing

#14 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,993 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

:heart: Dont give up, please dont give up

#15 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

The power lines here are really getting weighed down and the snow is still falling. I know there's a power outage somewhere in town because we saw a flash before that had to be either a sparking wire or a transformer, followed by a suddenly darker area a few blocks away.

#16 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

My sister, her hubs and her in laws are without power still...braving the cold and keeping amazing attitudes about it.

So grateful my mom is safe and sound in northern NJ with my sister who does have power.

Hang in there friends...I am thinking of you all.

#17 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

All around us things are getting back to normal. cars and people running the rat race once again.

Meanwhile in my little slice we're still lining up every day with our limited supply of gas and gas cans. Most still not going into work if they can help it, slaves to our generators if you have em'. Otherwise helping those who don't and are really cold.

I've already come to terms in my head fthat it's never coming back on. This way there are no more let downs, just surprise and joy when it does.

#18 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,150 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

:heart:

#19 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

my mood has brightened a bit today. still no power and ZERO communication from LIPA or the town
about the home inspections but i was able to buy a generator last night and the always-helpful-alway-generous fellow
boardie and friend clouseau is coming over tonight to help me rig it up to the breaker panel.

java time - i'm right near you! are you south of montauk why? no inspection required? happy to hear of
your good fortune. :bigsmile:

elder - i feel the same as you. no more expectations. plan on power by new years and if it happens before then -
SURPRISE!

#20 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 987 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yeah scarfire!!

#21 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

This is us ..... 10's of thousands of tree's down, JCP&L non-existent.

http://www.dailyreco...|text|FRONTPAGE

If the rumor is true that they don't have tel poles and transformer parts, and won't for awhile, I'm gonna shoot someone.

I sit on planning meetings all day. You work in contigencies like this. There was a disaster coming, plenty of notice, and they didn't stock the obvious inventory?!

...becomming less and less civilized per day

#22 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,150 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

my mood has brightened a bit today. still no power and ZERO communication from LIPA or the town
about the home inspections but i was able to buy a generator last night and the always-helpful-alway-generous fellow
boardie and friend clouseau is coming over tonight to help me rig it up to the breaker panel.

java time - i'm right near you! are you south of montauk why? no inspection required? happy to hear of
your good fortune. :bigsmile:

elder - i feel the same as you. no more expectations. plan on power by new years and if it happens before then -
SURPRISE!

I am a coupla blocks north of Montauk Hwy, south of Hoffman...our long ass power outage was just a fluke. I can't even imagine what everyone south has been going through and still are. I love your outlook scarfire!!!! hopefully this weekend I can help out somewhere...

#23 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,150 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

If the rumor is true that they don't have tel poles and transformer parts, and won't for awhile, I'm gonna shoot someone.

I sit on planning meetings all day. You work in contigencies like this. There was a disaster coming, plenty of notice, and they didn't stock the obvious inventory?!

supposedly, LIPA has plenty...and they don't appear to be using them, maybe the can lend some out :rolleyes:

#24 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Liz's power went out at about 5, and is still out.

The power in Liz's neighborhood came back on this morning! :clap:

#25 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

P O W E R !!!
they gave up on the individual home inspections as it was never realistic to begin with.

my neighbor called and i rushed home to hit the main breaker and then slowly
turned on each individual breaker and everything went on!

feels awesome after 12 days without. still no heat or hot water but things are looking up!

thanks megmyster and java time! :bigsmile:

#26 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,707 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

trucks were leaving here loaded with telephone poles this morning, about 25/truck. cities/towns can't afford to have that much inventory sitting around. hope some of those poles get to your neighborhood. maybe sit still for a moment, breathe, and see if you can come up with 6 things you are grateful for right this minute. won't be that hard i bet. :) :heart:

#27 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

trucks were leaving here loaded with telephone poles this morning, about 25/truck. cities/towns can't afford to have that much inventory sitting around. hope some of those poles get to your neighborhood. maybe sit still for a moment, breathe, and see if you can come up with 6 things you are grateful for right this minute. won't be that hard i bet. :) :heart:

Not very hard at all :heart:
...especially since the POWER came back on tonight :bananatiedye:

Have to admit, I was getting used to my little armegdon survival camp.

Lets get all the rest of you powerless peeps going now!

#28 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Yeah.......some things are getting better.

Hope everyone else gets power soon too.

#29 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,707 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

power to the people,niiiice. :dance: here's hoping ALL the people get it back soon!!

#30 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,083 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

clousseau rocks. don't think we'll have power for a while, but we have a generator and hot water, so that's pretty good.

#31 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,788 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

jesus, tom - FINALLY! :clapping: :heart:

#32 Gypsy Bob

Gypsy Bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Not very hard at all :heart:
...especially since the POWER came back on tonight :bananatiedye:

Have to admit, I was getting used to my little armegdon survival camp.

Lets get all the rest of you powerless peeps going now!

Far Out Brother! Shine Your Light... :beard:

#33 Gypsy Bob

Gypsy Bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

P O W E R !!!
they gave up on the individual home inspections as it was never realistic to begin with.

my neighbor called and i rushed home to hit the main breaker and then slowly
turned on each individual breaker and everything went on!

feels awesome after 12 days without. still no heat or hot water but things are looking up!

thanks megmyster and java time! :bigsmile:

Great News Mike! Love to Cluster...

#34 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hurricane Sandy Hotline Contacts and Numbers
  • New York State Hurricane Sandy Helpline: 1-888-769-7243
  • Disaster Assistance: (FEMA)
  • For Aging/Elderly: 1-800-342-9871
  • For Businesses seeking storm help (power issues, flooding, etc..):
    1-888-769-7243 /
    disastercustomerservice@sba.gov
  • For Chemical/Oil Spills: 1-800-457-7362
  • For Cultural Education (Museums, etc..): M-F 8am to 4pm
  • Libraries: (518)486-4864
  • Archives & Records:(518)474-6926
  • For 24/7 Cultural Education issues:
    • American Institute For Conservation: (202) 661-8068
    • Northeast Document Conservation Center: (978) 470-1010
    • Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts: (215) 688-0712
  • For Disability Assistance: 1-800-342-3009
  • For Insurance or Banking issues: 1-800-339-1759
  • For Mental Health (Stress & Anxiety) Hotline: 1-800-985-5990
  • For PETS (Residents unable to evacuate with, assistance, retrieval): (347) 573-1561
  • Salvation Army: 1-800-SAL-ARMY
  • The Red Cross: 1-800-RED-CROSS
  • For Sheltering/Meals:
  • For Office of Technology: Customer Care Center: 1-800-697-1323 or 518-408-6487
  • For Temporary Disability Assistance: 1-800-342-3009
  • For Transportation: (518) 485-8621
  • For Utilities: 1-800-342-3377 (7:30am - 7:30pm)

Disaster Assistance
Hurricane Sandy Helpline - 1-855-NYS-SANDY
How to apply for FEMA Assistance
You can register for FEMA assistance by:
There is never a fee to apply for FEMA disaster assistance or to receive it.
There is never a fee for FEMA or U.S. Small Business Administration property damage inspections.
Please be aware: Government workers will never ask for a fee or payment. They wear a photo ID. Watch out for middlemen who promise you will receive money, especially if they ask for an up-front payment.
One of the dire consequences of any disaster for many people is the loss of important documents. Often, such documents are needed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and state emergency services in order to process assistance applications for those who suffered losses or damage to their homes and belongings.
For copies of your utility bills, bank records, insurance policies, mortgage payments and the like, call the appropriate firm and speak to a customer-service representative.
If papers are lost - like birth certificates, Social Security cards, drivers' licenses, tax records and so on - you can receive replacements by contacting the following:
  • Birth certificates:
    • For Five boroughs of New York City:
      • Visit or write to the Office of Vital Records, 125 Worth Street, Room 133, New York, N.Y. 10013. (A photo ID is required both by mail and in person.)
      • The office advises the fastest way to get records is online at NYC Office of Vital Records.
        Print an Application or Apply online,
      • Phone: (212) 788-4520.
    • New York state (Not including New York City)
    • Vitalchek This will connect you to a company called VitalChek, which is contracted with the state to handle credit-card orders. There are modest fees involved.
    • Phone: 1-877-854-4481
  • Drivers' licenses:
  • Visit any New York Department of Motor Vehicles office.
  • To find an office nearby, log onto NYS Department of Motor Vechicles
  • Phone: 1- 800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time.
    For TTY users the number is 800-325-0778
  • US Social Security Administration
  • Phone: 800-829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time
  • IRS (Internal Revenue Service)
  • Social Security cards:
  • Tax records:
    Federal:
New York State: Information About Disaster Loans through the Small Business Administration
SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, nonprofit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.
For more information:
Visit SBA.gov - U.S Small Business Administration
or contact the SBA Customer Service Center toll-free at 1-800-490-2498 or 1-800-659-2955.