sitting here in limbo

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

i'll find out more at 10:00 AM, but here i sit.

have power, water, heat and cooking gas
can't get to my personal e-mail or work e-mails
almost time to call again, i don't think Time Warner help desk opens until 9:00 AM, or the line is so long they just drop your call.
limited gas in the car, may be days until there is enough to go around.
i can walk to some stores to get what i need.
i can get to downtown, but the office building still may be shut.
hopefully we find out when it may reopen later today.

all minor problems compaired to a lot of friends, families and other people still homeless from the storm.

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,888 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Waiting for the tide to turn.

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Still no power in Wall nj, but ive heard rumors the lights may be back on in Asbury Park. It would be nice to fet back home, tho hanging at my parents wasn't all that bad. Caught up on season 2 of Spartacus. Tits and torture...mmmmm

#4 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

lots here to keep me busy, but i'd rather be out helping out.

#5 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,545 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

there's isn't much I can do to help out yet either*, but there is a church that is feeding those in need, if they need night help I can assist...but as far as being able to help out the folks by the water there isn't much I can do.

glad to hear you're hanging in there, is most of SI with power now?

* don't have power yet and fuel is still a bit of an issue...but Optimum Cable is up and running. they actually are running our area from a van and gennie down the street.

with our gennie being budgeted, we at least have a couple of hours a night for TV for news, and tv shows...would really like to know more as we have an 83 year old woman (bro's MIL) on heart meds with no heat!!! we're getting by and she's ok...we wrap her in a bunch o' blankets and place a lobster pot of boiling water close to her for extra heat.

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Waiting for the tide to turn.

My faith will lead me on...

#7 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Glad your ok Dave. Seemed like the news of the Staten Island destruction took a little longer to get out, but parts look devastated.
I am happy that everybody I personally know are safe.

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Weather Channel is reporting from east-central facing SI coast, boats everywere. What a mess!!

#9 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,632 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

we're hearing that Jason's folks might be able to visit their home for a short period (minutes or a few hours) with a travel permit, over the next week or two. they're starting today and tomorrow with Seaside Park, as that's the easiest town on the island to access right now. a lot of work still needs to be done until residents can safely travel to Lavallette, and it may require them to board a bus rather than take their own vehicle, so what they can bring back would be limited...but it's a start.

it's difficult on them and us, being in limbo and not knowing what state the house is in or what further damage will be caused by the waiting and the cold weather we're having. but temps are heading north again, so that is a blessing. they hope to winterize the house in the brief time they're given. only time will tell how it will all play out, but they're keeping busy and being productive.

it certainly lends a new meaning to the word limbo. i've gained a whole new respect for his parents through this experience. a new closeness, too. making lemonade :)

#10 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Building houses on barrier islands should be banned after this. Just seems like an inevitable disaster with the changing climate. I read a report saying that several more storms like Sandy will reclaim some of these sand spits eventually.

Id like to see new rules happen to protect life, property, and the mainland behind these barriers. No reason to build on a beach anymore.

#11 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,545 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Building houses on barrier islands should be banned after this. Just seems like an inevitable disaster with the changing climate. I read a report saying that several more storms like Sandy will reclaim some of these sand spits eventually.

Id like to see new rules happen to protect life, property, and the mainland behind these barriers. No reason to build on a beach anymore.

we're hearing that Jason's folks might be able to visit their home for a short period (minutes or a few hours) with a travel permit, over the next week or two. they're starting today and tomorrow with Seaside Park, as that's the easiest town on the island to access right now. a lot of work still needs to be done until residents can safely travel to Lavallette, and it may require them to board a bus rather than take their own vehicle, so what they can bring back would be limited...but it's a start.

it's difficult on them and us, being in limbo and not knowing what state the house is in or what further damage will be caused by the waiting and the cold weather we're having. but temps are heading north again, so that is a blessing. they hope to winterize the house in the brief time they're given. only time will tell how it will all play out, but they're keeping busy and being productive.

it certainly lends a new meaning to the word limbo. i've gained a whole new respect for his parents through this experience. a new closeness, too. making lemonade :)

glad to see y'all hanging in there :heart:

just because I was for the Marathon doesn't make me uncaring :smile:

#12 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

they say only 20k still without power - prolly the highest % of folks by boro.
reports from the other side have been good, but a lot of people still can't get back their homes etc.
about 1300 runners showed up yesterday, took the ferry in and ran to South Beach to help out, clear debris, basements etc.
lots of local north shore restaurants are supplying food and meals.
60 new tie dye onsies were delivered as well - my friends can wait for replacements

call from work, my building has power, no heat and they are restarting the servers today.
i will go in tomorrow, shouldn't be too bad, busses and ferries are running, walking or the bike is probably healthier.
some from the office are still without power or heat.

my voting location is within walking distance and will be open tomorrow

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,888 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

:heart:

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

Above all, be careful travelling to and from work. Wear extra layers if ur office still is without heat...or bring a space heater.

#15 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

heat comes back on Wed., so for me it's just tomorrow.
they have asked that we do not bring in space heaters, fire and power usage issues.
coffee machine will be pumping fresh hot coffee all day, mini moos are good and then we have all the Japaneses teas.

the only question is what bus do i take home, each route passes or drops me off at a local bar/rest.
not really a bad question.

#16 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,545 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

they say only 20k still without power - prolly the highest % of folks by boro.
reports from the other side have been good, but a lot of people still can't get back their homes etc.
about 1300 runners showed up yesterday, took the ferry in and ran to South Beach to help out, clear debris, basements etc.
lots of local north shore restaurants are supplying food and meals.
60 new tie dye onsies were delivered as well - my friends can wait for replacements

call from work, my building has power, no heat and they are restarting the servers today.
i will go in tomorrow, shouldn't be too bad, busses and ferries are running, walking or the bike is probably healthier.
some from the office are still without power or heat.

my voting location is within walking distance and will be open tomorrow

sounds like real progress!!!

runners do lots for the communities, wherever they go, so no surprise that they would be so giving of themselves :heart:

#17 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,502 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for checking in!