Ways to help in the wake of Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

*PLEASE NOTE: the shelter at Nugentown Road is now closed to evacuees, in order to prepare for the re-start of classes next week. but there's still lots of ways to help. contact me for details about local efforts, or see recent updates to this thread for other options. thanks, boardies!

a lot of people have reached out with offers of assistance to us personally, and to the relief efforts in general. please use this thread to post your local relief efforts so that others in a position to help can do so where it will do the most good.

the middle school in my town is acting as a temporary shelter, serving those displaced from Long Beach Island, Tuckerton Beach, Little Egg and Mystic Island. it's a grassroots effort with no outside support, but we're doing all we can to help those who lost everything down here.

here is a list of items most needed there right now...if you prefer sending a gift card, i can hit Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart or Target for these items and deliver them personally, as the 4 of us are donating our time there.

Posted Image

#2 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Jennie, i saw this on FB and boxing up items to send out tomorrow. hope you don't mind that i copied the address to send...

ADDRESS: 590 Nugentown Road Tuckerton, NJ 08087

love and comfort to you all!

#3 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

thanks Laura! you rock.

sending donations directly to Pinelands Middle School at 590 Nugentown Road, Tuckerton NJ 08087 is great, and we really appreciate it. :) :heart:

#4 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

<3 love you guys...

#5 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

:heart:

#6 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,962 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'll get stuff to mail out tomorrow as well. :heart:

#7 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,359 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

<3 love you guys...

HI Laura!

Thugger Muffin, I'll send a gift card tomorrow.

#8 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

my sister (who is a chemist and works with water systems) wants to pass on to people who want to donate goods: If you can, please include anti bacterial dish soaps and hand soaps. In normal circumstances, I know they are overused, but in times of crisis, standing water, no electricity, no running water, they are needed to keep water born illnesses in check (botulism, cholera, e.coli, dysentery, typhoid, et al)

#9 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi Ryan! <3 love you!! :grouphug:

#10 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thank you all...anyone preferring to send gift card to me directly to buy whatever is needed most, private message me.

To be clear this is NOT going toward my family in anyway. We were insured for whatever losses we will discover in the months ahead. This is for the local temporary shelter currently housing everyone displaced by Sandy. Our area was hit hard as were most barrier islands...this just happens to be an area with little commerce so relief efforts are mostly at the grassroots level.

Not taking anything away from relief efforts in other regions...you are welcome to post those here too. Thank you for any and all contributions. Xo

#11 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

wow...donations are starting to flow in already and more are promised in the days and weeks ahead. thank you all so so much for all you're doing...you know who you are!

please keep this bumped if you can folks...i'll be spending my days at the shelter this week and Jason is returning to work tomorrow so we won't be around to do so. boardies rock! xoxox

#12 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

Bump.

Love you sweetie!

#13 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

love YOU darlin'!

and please Karen, i know you are working so so hard to help your home town. please, add your information here. lots of people would love to lend a hand to the efforts in Rockaway, too.

it just feels good to be doing something. way too much waiting for others to decide our fate here, this week.

#14 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

when my mother in law went to Kmart today to pick up some much-needed items, she found out about this. please, if you have no need for this $20 credit and are a Kmart or Sears rewards customer, take a few minutes this week and use your $20 credit to buy some much needed supplies for the shelter closest to you, or closest to a friend who is giving their time to this cause. thanks :)

from the recent press release of Sears and Kmart:

Given the deep engagement with local communities and knowledge of where Members are impacted the most, up to $20 worth of Points will be added to the accounts of existing Members hit the hardest by the storm. Customers will see the points in their accounts Saturday and can use them from 11/3 through 11/8. The impacted areas include parts of Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York,Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Vermont. Sears and Kmart estimate that millions of SHOP YOUR WAY REWARDS Members were affected in some way by the storm.
"The resilience of these communities is once again being tested by Mother Nature. Kmart and Sears are helping residents and the thousands of employees who work in our stores get back on their feet," said Imran Jooma, senior vice president, Sears Holdings and president of Marketing, Online & Financial Services. "We recognize that the lives of people hit by the storm have been greatly affected. We feel it is our duty to step up and help them during this difficult time."
Sears and Kmart have partnered with Rebuilding Together, a nonprofit working to preserve affordable homeownership, and in the coming months to provide assistance to communities in their rebuilding efforts.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

#15 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,417 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

URGENT The Rockaways needs volunteers to help distribute food, water, blankets, etc. Central point/dispatch is 219 Beach 129th , St. Francis de Sales. Need to move stuff to make a shelter for the storm and get blankets ups stairs. please repost and retweet. anywhere you can.

#16 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

another opportunity to help, this one in North Jersey:

http://www.gathering...429#entry383429

thanks Erin! :)

#17 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Jennie, didn't know you started a thread about it.

Boardies ASTOUND me with their generosity. I've already been offered a shipment of books and one has placed an order on scholastic <3 Oh and one sent funds for hot meals to be delivered :heart:

#18 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

boardies are the best :heart: i've had several very generous donations for our shelters down here, too. which is great because as other temporary shelters are closing, they're sending everyone here. our capacity doubled overnight, yesterday.

just got word that Jason's alma mater (Lavallette elementary) has been relocated to the mainland and will reopen on Monday, but they have no school supplies and are seeking monetary donations and gift cards to Staples, Walmart, Kmart and Best Buy to equip the school.

the town of Lavallette will not be inhabitable for an estimated 6-8 months, possibly more, and it is unknown at this time what steps will need to be taken after that to make the school safe and functioning, if that is even possible.

in the meantime there is no access to anything that makes a school a school. but they found a church in Toms River willing to take on the task of creating a school out of thin air, which is huge! so if anyone can help, please see my post on Facebook or contact me directly for more information.

#19 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

The Asbury Park Press
Middletown updates:

Volunteers for Fri, Nov 9

Sandy volunteers can meet at the Town Hall Courtroom, 1 Kings Highway, at 10 am on Friday, November 9th. Buses will return volunteers to Town Hall by 3:00 p.m. Volunteers will be taken in groups by bus to the Croydon Hall Emergency Relief Center to load supplies onto the buses and distribute them to residents in Port Monmouth, Leonardo and Belford most affected by Hurricane Sandy. Volunteers will also gather information about the most current needs of residents from those who wish to provide it. Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in volunteering!

#20 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,584 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

i've taken part in several collections up here, two truckloads are leaving today from one of them. my heart goes out to everyone affected :heart:

#21 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

The Asbury Park Press
Middletown updates:

Volunteers for Fri, Nov 9

Sandy volunteers can meet at the Town Hall Courtroom, 1 Kings Highway, at 10 am on Friday, November 9th. Buses will return volunteers to Town Hall by 3:00 p.m. Volunteers will be taken in groups by bus to the Croydon Hall Emergency Relief Center to load supplies onto the buses and distribute them to residents in Port Monmouth, Leonardo and Belford most affected by Hurricane Sandy. Volunteers will also gather information about the most current needs of residents from those who wish to provide it. Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in volunteering!

to anyone asking themselves "where the f are Port Monmouth, Leonardo and Belford???"...

if you've seen Clerks, the Quick Stop is in Belford.

thanks guys. it's wonderful to see everyone helping in whatever ways they are able.