NYC Marathon Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#201 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Everyone wants to be king. Hell, everyone thinks they are an expert in NYC disaster response coordination...... We've got more instant experts on this than we have seats to fill.

With you at the head of the table, obviously.

#202 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Everyone wants to be king. Hell, everyone thinks they are an expert in NYC disaster response coordination...... We've got more instant experts on this than we have seats to fill.

I don't. Too many politics. Besides, the taxes are way too high in NYC :grin:

#203 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

With you at the head of the table, obviously.

Except I'm quoting and listening to the mayor of NYC, not some made up bullshit regarding disaster response resources for a city that I probably dont even live in. I realize it may chap the ass to have to resign to reality and admit that the only reason this was cancelled is because some folks think we shouldn't hold a charity event with so many in need of charity.

At any rate, I'm kind of bored of this.

#204 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

I might rather be the piss boy.

#205 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Some of us have had disaster training......natural, biologic, chemical and nuclear.
Some of us are certified.
Some of us are the ones who will be running the facility that 1st responders will be bringing victims to.
Some of us will be tagging victims Black, Red, Yellow or Green.

Some of us have an idea of what wasting resources or putting added stress on an already stressed system may be like.

This does not make us King.....it makes us the ones you will turn to when the shit really hits the fan.
It makes us the ones who will have to make the hard decisions on if you live or die.

By the way....the mayor is not the one who made the decision....there is a behind the scenes team of advisors he goes to and he is the face they put the decision too.

#206 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

You're preaching to the choir. I'm a certified first responder and have disaster preparedness and training myself.

#207 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Except I'm quoting and listening to the mayor of NYC, not some made up bullshit regarding disaster response resources for a city that I probably dont even live in. I realize it may chap the ass to have to resign to reality and admit that the only reason this was cancelled is because some folks think we shouldn't hold a charity event with so many in need of charity.

At any rate, I'm kind of bored of this.

I'd be bored too if I kept repeating the same thing over and over. Just because you repeat it over and over again doesn't make it true. The NYC Marathon is not a charity event. Say that 10 times. It became one in theory after the storm happened. Why that so difficult for you to grasp? It just makes you come across as thick headed. You're a smart guy. I don't get it.

#208 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Then you should realize that the mayor is nothing but a face.

This went before everyone and the monatary gain lost out over the risk of straining an already burdened system for the saftey of the population.

Sure the money would have been great but the timing was off and with so many in need of basic resources the backlash and press would have had a field day.

#209 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

No, they did have a field day.
And while the mayor is a face, he is a face to a team. A rather large team coordinating efforts.

I'd be bored too if I kept repeating the same thing over and over. Just because you repeat it over and over again doesn't make it true. The NYC Marathon is not a charity event. Say that 10 times. It became one in theory after the storm happened. Why that so difficult for you to grasp? It just makes you come across as thick headed. You're a smart guy. I don't get it.

You obviously should go read about the NYC marathon and then come back as less of a block head that still wants to have his own facts regarding emergency response resources.

#210 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Then you should realize that the mayor is nothing but a face.

This went before everyone and the monatary gain lost out over the risk of straining an already burdened system for the saftey of the population.

Sure the money would have been great but the timing was off and with so many in need of basic resources the backlash and press would have had a field day.

Yes, a face tot he public from a team, a large one, of those who run and coordinate efforts. This isn't some little town population 20,000. I also happen to live here and the team has done a fantastic job (as said before) on bringing things back up and getting efforts to those most effected. This was about divisiveness. The people cried foul, the press put the generators first page and then every tom, dick and harry became an expert on generator utilization, response resources, etc...

#211 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'll say this, Brehm...Bloombleberry is a tenacious lil dickhead. Hard for me to envision him backing down unless someone made a case to him which was gonna serve his ego (and maybe the city) best.

It's done. Last I'll say about it.

#212 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thats right the press put the generators on the front page.

Those who have any education in the area know that those generators are pretty much useless to power a major black out area.

Do you really think the "press" knows this?

They probably think you can just run an extension cord into them from your house.
Most people may also think that........We know it is not that easy.

This whole thing is in no way going to be a week long thing.

After the initial rescue and recovery phase is over a long drawn out recovery plan is going to have to be enacted and after that a revitalization phase will need to be implimented.

In the meantime people will be struggling thru this for quite a long time and there will be daily issues due to weather and infrastructure abilities or lack of.

You are looking at a small view of this disaster and not looking ahead at the big picture.

If the marathon was next week i belive we wouldnt even be having this discussion......it is a simple case of to much to soon.

For once money did not trump level heads in a time where decisions needed to be made.

#213 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Oh, I think I AM looking at the bigger picture. A picture where this wont be fixed over night. Where people will be displaced or in shambled living conditions for a logn time to come. So an 8 hour race that generates a ton of local money and chairty, is a good move to improve available resources both immediately in the city, and from said donations to relieve those in need over time.

We took the low road here. That's what Ive been saying since the start. I could really give a fuck about the race. However, what it provides in not just the current disaster, but long looming ones that complete charity tasks based on these types of events.

I would say it is the others who are looking at the small portion of the picture on this.

#214 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Your favorite opinion sucks !

#215 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'll say this, Brehm...Bloombleberry is a tenacious lil dickhead. Hard for me to envision him backing down unless someone made a case to him which was gonna serve his ego (and maybe the city) best.

It's done. Last I'll say about it.

I really dont like the guys policies at all, but this is an instance where I think he was seeign the bigger picture instead of the quick appeal to emotion fix. Mostly the guy could eat a bag of theDHJ dicks for all I care.

#216 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

I would think most people understand that recovery is going to be a long-term project based on the Katrina aftermath, no?

#217 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

No, they did have a field day.
And while the mayor is a face, he is a face to a team. A rather large team coordinating efforts.

You obviously should go read about the NYC marathon and then come back as less of a block head that still wants to have his own facts regarding emergency response resources.

I do understand. While many do run for charity there are many that don't. Say what you want. You're really are rude and condescending. Thinking you're smarter than everyone else is not a very redeeming quality.

#218 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Well, bad decision or not one was made.

Now we have to deal with that and hope the money lost will be re-couped in other ways.

Lets just hope at this point all those making the decisions keep their eye on the ball and follow thru for all those in need before winter kicks in full force.

#219 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Well, bad decision or not one was made.

Now we have to deal with that and hope the money lost will be re-couped in other ways.

Lets just hope at this point all those making the decisions keep their eye on the ball and follow thru for all those in need before winter kicks in full force.

:heart:

#220 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

I think we've all said our peace on the topic.
Its over. Old news.

Lets close this thread and move onto more and important things ... like music and recovery

#221 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

And happy belated by a little 420 my brothers and sisters. Love to you, stay warm and safe, we're all in this mess together.

#222 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,950 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Interesting to me how football is still acceptable.

of course it is. As we know in this country football and baseball are more important then anything :dunno:

#223 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

I do understand. While many do run for charity there are many that don't. Say what you want. You're really are rude and condescending. Thinking you're smarter than everyone else is not a very redeeming quality.

:facepalm:

On that note, I agree with elder. On up to better discussions.

#224 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Bump.

:lol: Made you all look.

Yup..........I'm a dick. :wink:

#225 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

:facepalm:

You got me, I tasted it. You got me.

#226 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Surprised the election wasn't post-phoned.

#227 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Bump.

Dammit Tony!! :lol:

#228 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well played! :)

#229 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Bump.

:lol:

#230 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Even the blockhead looked. :undecided:

#231 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

:lol:

#232 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

:rolling:

Game, set, match to Tony.

#233 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

:lmao:

#234 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

#235 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Damn!

#236 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,597 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

i wanted them to cancel halloween. just the thought of those ugly little bastards knocking on my door for candy after what we just went through made me want to punch a soccer mom in the face