• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Just heard, its official. Someone finally came to their senses.

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Or succumbed to extensive whining.

#3 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Would rather have had it postponed if possible, but I'll take canceled! :thup:

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

We should cancel Thanksgiving too.

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

TASB u are peculiar

#6 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Not really. I just don't understand the logic of such a cancellation. People aren't being rational over this, they're being emotional. This annoys me. Remember the Jung results for me and our last discussion.

#7 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

RATIONAL? 4 days ago peoples lives were turned upside down. 4 Fucking days. So, I should go down there and give them a big pile of Hula hoops and tell them to get over it, here's a diversion....back to Normalcy with you. Shit happens.....Move on! Really dude? :lol:

Marathon needed to be canceled and it was. good for them.

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Ahh, its you that doesnt realy compute here.

I find any person who showed up to run a terrible human being with terrible priorities and no regard for the lives of other people. Glad it was canceled so no one will be chastised for being selfish fucks who came to run

#9 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Ahh, its you that doesnt realy compute here.

I find any person who showed up to run a terrible human being with terrible priorities and no regard for the lives of other people. Glad it was canceled so no one will be chastised for being selfish fucks who came to run

#10 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,380 posts
  • Locationthe Island

yes...so now when NY sees their taxes go up to "help out" the situation, are all you folks going to reimburse me?

again, failing to look at the big picture IMO :sad:

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Yeah, really, dude. (facial condescension lacking) Because millions of dollars of disaster aid flushed down the toilet for a tradition and a sign of resilience really spanks those. And canceling it really will help them out so vastly. The complainers won. Congratulations.

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,252 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Sad for the people who prepped and I'm sure were really looking forward to the race, and would have preferred to see it postponed (or as Wit suggested earlier, moved...I think that was a great idea...though I'm not sure how feasible it would have been), but barring postponement, I think this was the right call.

In part, yes, because of emotion and compassion for people who would have watched runners go by while their lives were in ruins. And in part because of what I argued earlier, which I feel had a good dose of logic to it.

#13 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Sounds like it has been postponed? Which I think is a good move, let people that need the immediate rescue aid get help first, then have the marathon as a stimulus.

#14 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Moving it to a different location sounds great on the surface but would be an absolute train wreck, imo. The prep, permits, etc and so on requires so much time to deal with.

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,252 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

And I suspect that those millions in aid will be easily replaced when the depth and breadth of the damage done really sinks in...

#16 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

It's not postponed. It's fucking cancelled. Just think this through, really. The logistics are staggering.

#17 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not really. I just don't understand the logic of such a cancellation. People aren't being rational over this, they're being emotional. This annoys me. Remember the Jung results for me and our last discussion.

really? emotional? it seems pretty damn rational to me.... why clog up resources running a race when it can be used to aid ppl with damage to their homes?

#18 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,252 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Good Lord, Bloomberg is a mealy-mouthed troll.

If you think back to 9/11, I think Rudy [Giuliani] made the right decision to run the marathon,” Bloomberg said of his predecessor after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. “It pulled people together and we have to find some ways to express ourselves and show solidarity to each other.

That was two months after a disaster happened. They weren't still actively recovering bodies, as I recall. :angry:

#19 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Replaced with peoples kindness, perhaps. But this is a HUGE charity event. HUGE. And it was being sub-sponsored by it's sponsors for relief effort for those in need from the disaster. .and for what? This isn't just one small org that partners in this. It's actually a travesty to me that we couldn't be more collectively resilient and instead chose to complain.

I''m out of the subject. I'm ally-less and in a heated mind. Peace out, friends.

#20 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

http://www.npr.org/b...anc?ft=1&f=1001

I'd almost forgotten about the NYC Marathon, thanks to Sandy, and when I did remember that this is "Marathon Weekend," I just assumed it would get cancelled.

As of this writing, the ING New York City Marathon is not cancelled. But it should be. Immediately.

I understand how much training goes into a marathon, how long the runners spend preparing, and how hard it is even to get a number in the New York City version. I can only imagine how much planning a sporting event of the marathon's size and sprawl must require, coordinating with police and medical personnel, sanitation, meteorologists, juice-table-ologists — it's a troop movement, literally. It's disappointing if it doesn't come off.

But there's disappointment, and then there's a still-rising death toll; fights breaking out on gas lines around the tri-state area; city schools closed for the fifth straight day; power outages that, while they may lift later today, continue to blanket a huge chunk of Manhattan, not to mention Long Island and North Jersey; entire neighborhoods in Staten Island burnt down to the foundation pilings. The marathon will draw key resources away from rescue and relief efforts, including police, EMS, clean water — and power. The generators powering the marathon's tents in Central Park could restore electricity to 400 homes in Staten Island.

This is all provided the runners can get here from out of town, or in from the airport. It's still extremely slow going getting around the city, and if you have to cross a river at any point in your journey, you'd better have good sneaks and some trail mix. Now, just as the transportation system is heaving itself back onto its knees, the marathon will shut down swaths of the city — the Verrazano, where the race starts; 4th Avenue, one of Brooklyn's main arteries; the Queensboro Bridge. The marathon makes it difficult to get around the city on the day, and we don't need any more of that right now.

What we really don't need any more of is the "Race to Recover" rhetoric that positions the marathon as a much-needed boon for tourism, or a symbol of the city's resilience, and we absolutely don't need any more ill-advised comparisons between holding the marathon after Sandy and playing baseball after 9/11. Leaving aside the fact that, in the city, baseball didn't resume for ten days (the marathon is giving us five), baseball is the national pastime; I didn't love how many things got co-opted as symbols of American gumption in the autumn of 2001, but baseball is the exception. Resuming a sport that's identified with the entire country, after a terrorist attack on, really, the entire country — it's elegant symbology.

Sandy is a natural disaster, and even if the infrastructure were ready, which it ain't, whom or what, exactly, are we showing that life in Gotham will go on — climate change? The jet stream? And is New York really obligated to demonstrate that at all, at this late date? Is there anyone in the world who's like, "New Yorkers: what a bunch of passive little daisies"? We have nothing to prove, and if we did, it'd be a lot easier to do that if we could see one damn thing below 34th Street, so if the marathon wants to make itself a heroic emblem of support for New York City, great. Let the planners donate time and resources to struggling communities in the area, instead of making cynical pronouncements about our "resilience" that are code for "it's a hassle to reschedule it," then expecting the city and its small businesses to thank them.

And we will thank them — later. Right now, we need to rebuild, and if the marathon can't help us with that in a real, logistical way, then it's just in the way.

#21 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,380 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

canceled. No Marathon this year...no way to recoup that loss of what was already invested and now it puts NYC in a bigger fiscal deficit

besides us having to pay more in taxes...cuz it will happen folks one way or the other (consumer goods taxes, state and fed taxes) now businesses in the city that perhaps on the border of losing everything needed the business and now they are not going to get it.

sooooooo...yeah....it's awesome they canceled it

#22 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Just saw the press conference. They went through every permutation & possibility for having a race of some sort (whether this Sunday or at another time) and came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work.

Upside: My understanding is that sponsorship money is going to be diverted to hurricane relief, along with substantial additional donations from several organizations involved, including New York Road Runners, ING, the Rudin Family and others.

#23 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,726 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Habit'd

#24 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Habit'd

Thank you for the comic relief! :rolling:

#25 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

of course, if you think taxes weren't going to go up after this disaster, you must be a "head in the sand" republican
The work Gov't (and yes, disaster relief) does costs money. As a Democratic leaning independent I have come to terms with the fact that services cost money, we NEED services, we pay taxes. That's the way it goes. If you don't want taxes to go up, you have to live in the jungles of the Amazon Basin or somewhere equally remote.
Does anyone really think this relief will be free? Only in America do people really think no bad should ever befall us. Maybe the subway fairies will just fix those things overnight...

As for the marathon, a postponement might be nice, but winter is coming on fast. I would hope the runners and those who support them will support the Northeast in this tragic time.

#26 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,796 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Great more of my tax dollars are going to be spent on New Yorkers because they wouldn't let other people give them money to run around their city :rolleyes:

wise decision :clapping:

#27 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,956 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Longtime boardie Jen S. was slated to run in the marathon. She opted out of it prior to it being canceled. I support and admire her decision.

#28 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

I'd like a reminder of the positive impacts of this decision.

#29 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

- Thousands of police not tied up doing traffic control for a sporting event in the middle of a very expensive disaster.
- Bridges and roadways not closed for the marathon while the city's public transportation system is still partially crippled.
- Other City resources not diverted from where they are needed most.

#30 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

how does running actually raise money?

I thought people giving did that.

Are people going to withhold donations now because they couldn't have a rat in their race?

#31 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

lets not forget the displacement of those temporarily housed in hotels, BECAUSE THEIR HOMES ARE GONE.

#32 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

- Thousands of police not tied up doing traffic control for a sporting event in the middle of a very expensive disaster.
- Bridges and roadways not closed for the marathon while the city's public transportation system is still partially crippled.
- Other City resources not diverted from where they are needed most.

I keep hearing this mantra, and yet the city and the mayor have made it clear that this is not the case. No resources will be or were planned to be diverted. Suddenly, however, every tom, dick and harry is an expert arm chair QB regarding disaster relief planning/coordination for the city of NY.

And Cur, you actually think that those runners who were to participate coming from out of town aren't in a large part. already here? They are. And hotels aren't pushing people out to make room. I've looked everywhere for ONE case of such a thing. It doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's all over now. Hopefully all the arm chair QBs are getting out there and helping people in NYC, NJ and CT today.

#33 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

tasb...yes, i don't believe they're not all in the city or on staten island yet, in large part because of the storm. you don't know who is where or why. neither do i. what i do know is that housing 40k+ people takes lots of rooms, and it's been reported that many hotels would find themselves in that quandary.

there is no question that the race was already diverting resources that are needed elsewhere. eg: the two large generators used to heat their tent in central park. it's estimated that those generators could restore power to 400 homes. the other points are spot on...road closures; police details; first responders... . there was no plan to divert them prior to sandy. at this point they are already unexpectedly diverted due to the need for their services in the devastated areas.

#34 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Is running that important.....................Take a fucking cab.

Seriously.......hold it in kenya.......they always win anyway.

As far as resources it might be nice to let the fire/police go home and deal with their own storm issues.

I have friends that do this work and have no homes to return to or are in disrepair.

#35 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I keep hearing this mantra, and yet the city and the mayor have made it clear that this is not the case. No resources will be or were planned to be diverted. Suddenly, however, every tom, dick and harry is an expert arm chair QB regarding disaster relief planning/coordination for the city of NY.

And Cur, you actually think that those runners who were to participate coming from out of town aren't in a large part. already here? They are. And hotels aren't pushing people out to make room. I've looked everywhere for ONE case of such a thing. It doesn't exist.

Anyway, it's all over now. Hopefully all the arm chair QBs are getting out there and helping people in NYC, NJ and CT today.

Another point: Let's say you're right, that the personnel who would be involved in securing the route were not being diverted from the relief effort. Did you ever consider the fact that maybe they're among the people who were displaced or otherwise suffering due to the storm? Look at the Rockaways as an example. A huge percentage of that community are cops, firefighters, EMTs, etc. So where do you think a cop from Breezy Point would rather be: helping get his/her family and/or friends the help they need? Maybe finally getting some much needed rest before going back out into it again? Or babysitting the marathon route? Long Beach, LI has a similar demographic... lots of cops & firefighters live there. Same question.

And yes, lots of marathoners/spectators are already in NYC. I saw tons of them all over the place when I was walking through Manhattan yesterday to get to work. Yes, it sucks that they spent the time, money and effort training for the marathon or getting here to be a spectator. But they have homes to go back to. Can't say that for a lot of folks in the New York area right now. I know if this were an event scheduled in CA in the wake of an earthquake, I'd be fine with forfeiting the money I spent on plane tickets, hotels, etc. and instead count my blessings.

You accuse the rest of us of being armchair QBs but you need to realize you're doing the exact same thing, just from the other side of the fence. I respect your right to your opinions. I just think you're way off base here.

#36 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

1st responders and hospital workers are always expected to turn their back on their own issues to serve and protect the population.

It's sad when folks dont get that we do that everyday.

Who shovels out my driveway in a blizzard?
When everyone is off the roads i still have to drive thru the blizzard, hurricaine, whatever to get to work.
Then drive thru it if i get relived and am lucky enough to go home.

In a state of emergency we get mandated to stay on shift.

When my power goes out there is nobody there to turn on my sump pump, generator, keep my home from being looted.

Yes, that is the profession we have chosen but it gets hard as the years go on to give and give and leave your own familys to depend on others.

As far as a race........I couldnt think of anything less inportant than getting people water, shelter, power, heat and saftey.

The police, DPW, Fire personell and time and resources should not be squanderd in this way especially with another big storm bearing down on the tri state area and east coast.

#37 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,380 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

FEMA is out here in Lindy...

I asked them wtf are you doing here while people still need rescuing in NYC?!? DON'T YOU REALIZE THEY CANCELED THE NYC MARATHON?!?
THERE WERE EXTREMELY AFFLUENT PEOPLE BEING REMOVED FROM HOTELS BECAUSE LESS AFFLUENT FOLKS MADE RESERVATIONS A YEAR AGO FOR THOSE ROOMS?!? WE CAN'T HAVE RICH FOLK SLUMMING IN ONE OF THOSE MANY CUNY S HOOL SHELTERS....IT'S BENEATH THEM!!!!

so me and the boys beat their FEMA asses!!! :Phishfolk:

if less affluent areas were the affected areas the Marathon would still be going.

#38 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Sadly your most likely right.

#39 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

things are tough. they're not going to get much better as fast as anyone wants. to divert valuable resources for a sporting event, in the same place a catastrophic natural disaster hit less than a week before, is imprudent at best and grossly negligent at worst. my understanding is that one the marriott managers on staten island, cancelled marathon related reservations in favor of keeping his working class neighbors sheltered. i'm good with that.

#40 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hey, you asked and i answered, if you don't like it too bad. You'll get your little race back next year.

#41 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Question?

How come the Knicks home opener last night wasn't rescheduled? I'm sure a 20K attendance event requires a number of resources.

How come the Giants game this Sunday hasn't been moved? Doesn't a 82K attendance football game require a number of resources?

Why has there been such uproar over the Marathon, but nobody cares about these two events that both also require a massive amount of safety and medical personnel? :dunno:

I'm not saying I think the Marathon shouldn't have been cancelled, but given that there are other massive events going on requiring resources it would appear to me that the cancellation is at least somewhat of a symbolic gesture more so than a decision that's going to result in a huge benefit to the recovery efforts.

I think they made the right call in cancelling it, but it's puzzling that especially the Giants game on Sunday hasn't received at least a little bit of the same scrutiny that the Marathon did.

#42 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

This thread makes my head hurt. :lol:

aye yaye yaye.

#43 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Marathon spans all 5 boros. Giants and knicks play inside a designated area, and both are timed eents spanning several hours, vs a marathon which is spread out over an entire day, on roads and over bridges.

I think its pretty obvious what the differences are. Ill toss in that the marathon isnt much of a spectator event...

#44 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

The marathon isn't much of a spectator event?

Over half a million people cram the streets to watch the Boston Marathon. I'd imagine and even bigger crowd is drawn for the NYC marathon.

#45 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Normally id agree, but i doubt anyone cares to stand outside and watch runners...run, while they rebuild. I could be wrong, but bookies aret taking bets on which runner is gonna win...

The comparisons here are flimsy. I appreciate the stretch, but the logistics between holding a marathon vs keeping a scheduled football or basketball game arent even in the same...uh, ballpark.

#46 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

ryan, neither of those games involve the further displacement of others.

#47 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Why keep arm chairing this, folks?

The whiners and complainers and sudden experts already won. Just give each other a hug and find something else to arm char.

#48 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

The marathon isn't much of a spectator event?

Over half a million people cram the streets to watch the Boston Marathon. I'd imagine and even bigger crowd is drawn for the NYC marathon.

Exactly. The amount of roads that need to be closed off in order for the Marathon to happen is reason enough. I won't even mention how huge the crowds can get. Have you ever tried to navigate NYC on marathon day? Trust me, you don't want to, its pretty much impossible Now throw repair trucks, emergency personnel and desperately needed fuel deliveries into the mix. My guess is you can imagine the outcome.

#49 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Make us a Power Point on it.

#50 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

are you Visitor?