Hot stove baseball

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#101 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

I cant believe the Dbacks gave up on Bauer so quickly.

#102 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I cant believe the Dbacks gave up on Bauer so quickly.

I agree, he is only 21.

wonder if we will see Youk on the back of a horse in October?!
so odd seeing him as a yankee, but considering the options he is a solid fit.

the landscape of baseball certainly is changing

watch the red sox win the WS this year beating the Padre's in 7

Wade Boggs?

The Reds are my sleeper choice right now.

#103 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Angels going hard at Josh Hamilton and may have a deal soon.

In an equally exciting move, the Red Sox are expected to sign Dempster!!!!!

#104 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Angels going hard at Josh Hamilton and may have a deal soon.

In an equally exciting move, the Red Sox are expected to sign Dempster!!!!!

I just heard this, and saw something about the Dumpster signing too.

#105 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Josh Hamilton to the Angels for 5 years $125 mil.
Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, pretty nice top of the lineup...

#106 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Tigers to re-sign Anibal Sanchez five-year, $80 million

#107 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

2014:  Best free-agent class ever?

While the 2013 free-agent class will be flush with quality starting pitchers, it has as much uncertainty as potential because most of the players are either coming back from injuries or in decline. The class still will be well-represented with a pair of St. Louis Cardinals aces in Adam Wainwright (who's likely to re-sign) and Chris Carpenter, and two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum, who’s coming off the worst year of his career. A few pitchers with questionable injury history, such as Josh Johnson, Matt Garza and Dan Haren, will also likely make it to free agency. 

However, consider the 2014 class. The top five reads like an All-Star Game rotation: Justin Verlander, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, James Shields and Brett Anderson, who has the potential to be a Cy Young candidate someday. That’s three of the best starters in baseball and two more who are pretty close, all eligible for free agency. 

So, imagine the Yankees with a reset tax history and cleared payroll ready to rebuild their starting rotation. They could do it in one offseason. Or perhaps two? The 2015 class is almost as loaded with pitching as 2014's, headlined by David Price, Cliff Lee, Johnny Cueto and Yovani Gallardo. 

#108 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

ESPN Insider Rumor's has Red sox to trade for Matt Kemp.  

Sox fans is this a real possibility or just conjecture by reporters.

The Boston Red Sox know that Jacoby Ellsbury is out of the equation, as the free agent is now in the enemy uniform of the New York Yankees. While they could decide to simply insert Jackie Bradley Jr. in center, there's no reason to think that the team wouldn't pursue more established options to fill the opening in their outfield. 

General manager Ben Cherington said as much on Wednesday. "We certainly feel real good about some of the in-house alternatives and one of those guys is certainly (Bradley),"Cherington said. "That doesn't mean that we wouldn't add an outfielder. It doesn't mean that we wouldn't add a player at another (outfield) spot." 

That otufielder whom they might add could be Matt Kemp. As Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe tweeted, "Matt Kemp is in play for the Red Sox and the Dodgers would eat some money in the right deal. Just a question of whether the Red Sox want to." 

ESPN Boston's Gordon Edes points out that because the Dodgers and the Red Sox are on very good terms, a Kemp-to-Boston deal is a very realistic option: "The (teams) already have one megadeal under their belts, the August 2012 trade that sent Adrian Gonzalez,Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett to the Dodgers and allowed the Sox to reboot their franchise." 

"The lines of communication between ownership and general managers on both sides are excellent. The Red Sox have made inquiries, and if they are convinced that Kemp can approach the talent level he displayed when healthy, they might try to find another match with Kemp." 

I found this to be the most interesting note:

"Which raised an interesting question: Sources on both sides of the Ellsbury negotiations said the club was willing to go to six years for Ellsbury at a figure less than $120 million. Assuming that is accurate, would the Sox then be willing to go six years for, say, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp, the former MVP who has six years and $128 million left on his contract but has been hurt each of the past two years? Especially if the Dodgers took back some money?"

#109 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

Kemp ain't coming to Boston unless the Dodgers eat a huge amount of that contract.

And I think the team is set on giving Jackie Bradley Jr a shot at the starting CF job.  

#110 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Its a possibility that Kemp gets traded to the Red Sox, however Kemp's trade value is so low at this point, the Dodgers won't get any real value for him.  The Dodgers won't trade him for now.

(basically what deadhead said above)

#111 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Roy Halladay retired today.

Joe Torre, Bobby Cox, and Tony LaRussa voted into the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's committee.

#112 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Its a possibility that Kemp gets traded to the Red Sox, however Kemp's trade value is so low at this point, the Dodgers won't get any real value for him.  The Dodgers won't trade him for now.

(basically what deadhead said above)

I read otherwise (previously and this morning) on Kemp/Eithier.  I read that because the Dodgers are willing to eat a lot of his salary that teams are listening.  He may not go to Boston, but it sounds like it very possible.  I brought up Kemp because I think he is the better player of the two, but I could be wrong.

From Buster Olney:
• Matt Kemp's agent believes the center fielder will be traded, as Dylan Hernandez writes. Wrote here last week that the Dodgers have indicated to other teams that they're willing to buy down on money owed to Kemp or Andre Ethier to make a trade happen -- not necessarily to dump the contract or to pare down their list of outfielders, but to add prospects. In other words, the Dodgers are ready to eat enough money to compel another team to give up good young players. 

#113 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Interesting...  Kemp's been hurt for almost 2 years and has $160 mil coming to him.

Why wouldn't they just wait until spring to trade him?  Wouldn't they get more back?

Either is wildly overpaid, but could be interesting at the right subsidized price.

#114 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Interesting...  Kemp's been hurt for almost 2 years and has $160 mil coming to him.

Why wouldn't they just wait until spring to trade him?  Wouldn't they get more back?

Either is wildly overpaid, but could be interesting at the right subsidized price.

If you get LA to eat 36 mill or 6 mill a year for the team that acquires him then his contract is only 93 million or (15.5 a year) for 6 years, when Kemp is only 34 year of age.  Not that bad, and better than Choo would cost, plus he is already 31 years old.

The caveat being the team would have to surrender prospects to make it happen.

Very interesting.

I would be interested for the Mets but for the right price of course.  They say the Met pay roll is 75 mill at moment, and they expect it to be 87 million.  Room to increase, especially if they trade Ike and Murphy.  Lot of rumors about them two going somewhere.

#115 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Rumors list

David Price to the Mariners (although the Mariners GM partially shot them down)

Red Sox trading one of Nava/Carp

Phillies trading Dominic Brown.

#116 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Question ...   Is Jon Lester worth Cole Hamels money?

Why Cole Hamels' contract may be blueprint for possible Jon Lester extension with Red Sox

Buster Olney adds the following about this possibility:

• It'd be a shot if the Red Sox ever considered giving Lester that kind of contract, given the team's current working philosophy. I could see them being open to something in the $80 million-$100 million range, but not $150 million-ish. 

#117 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Very interesting note I found this morning in Buster Olney's column.

The media and baseball was aware of Steroids dating back to 1988.  It is documented on TV, before game 1 of the Boston, Oakland.

Note it took 15 years (2003) before baseball did anything about it.

#118 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,193 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

Here is who i would vote for Morris Maddux Glavine Piazza Biggio Martinez Bagwell Thomas Trammell Alou (courtesy vote)

#119 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,193 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

So Thomas's selection begs the question.

If Ted Williams was Teddy Ballgame

and Don Mattingly is Donnie Baseball

does that mean Frank Thomas is Ballpark Frank?

#120 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Armando Benitez got one vote for the hall of fame, and JT Snow got two votes.

:rolleyes:

Next years locks:  Randy Johnson, Pedro.

#121 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

I like how voters won't let in Jeff Bagwell or Mike Piazza because of suspected steroids.

But as a former Auburn football player, Frank Thomas is above suspicion....

#122 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,193 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

I like how voters won't let in Jeff Bagwell or Mike Piazza because of suspected steroids.

But as a former Auburn football player, Frank Thomas is above suspicion....

good point Jer.  I never thought either Piazza or Bagwell were on the Juice.

Speaking of multi-sport athletes . Dave Winfield was drafted in 3 sports. He said. "I could have been a big man in baseball, a small man in basketball or a broken man in football.  The choice was easy."

#123 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Speaking of multi-sport athletes . Dave Winfield was drafted in 3 sports. He said. "I could have been a big man in baseball, a small man in basketball or a broken man in football.  The choice was easy."

3 Sports, but 4 leagues (ABA)

Honestly I'm pretty sure Piazza and Bagwell were juicing.  Just like I'm sure Rickey Henderson was (who's already in) and Pedro and Randy Johnson ( were using something and who will get in next year).  

So really, what the hell is the point?

btw you want another interesting name possibly connected to steroids, Nolan Ryan.

Kinda funny his numbers go up a level once he gets to the home of such steroid users as Jose Canseco, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmerio, Pudge Rodriguez, Ruben Sierra, Sammy Sosa, A-Rod, and others (obviously they didn't all play there at the same time, but ....)

#124 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

3 Sports, but 4 leagues (ABA)

Honestly I'm pretty sure Piazza and Bagwell were juicing.  Just like I'm sure Rickey Henderson was (who's already in) and Pedro and Randy Johnson ( were using something and who will get in next year).  

So really, what the hell is the point?

btw you want another interesting name possibly connected to steroids, Nolan Ryan.

Kinda funny his numbers go up a level once he gets to the home of such steroid users as Jose Canseco, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmerio, Pudge Rodriguez, Ruben Sierra, Sammy Sosa, A-Rod, and others (obviously they didn't all play there at the same time, but ....)

The reason Piazza gets linked is the groin injury he had.  Many people thought the severity of that injury was cause by steroids.  "They" say normal people do not get that injury, and only use of other substances could cause that injury.

JG tend to agree with you on the point, they probably all did steroids.

The one name that gets people upset here in Philly and may be even Boston folks, but I always thought Schilling did steroids, because how he got even better as he got older.  Who knows if I am right or wrong, my stupid opinion, but the point is I would not be surprised if most of the players were using steroids.  And to be honest, I would not blame them for using.  Evidence goes back to 1988 that players were using, but baseball could care less.

When the Mitchell report came out and a large number of the 2000 yankees were on the report, I thought, damn, why weren't more Mets using.  That is the only way we would have won that series, and to me, that is all that really matters.  1986 is so long ago now.  This is why I don't blame any player.

Although Bonds and Clemens do annoy me on almost every level.

PS.  I would not be surprised by Nolan.  I mean he did pitch into his 40's (46).

1988 12-6   (age 41)

1989 16-10  (301 K's)   (age 42)

199013-9   (age 43)

1991 12-6  (age 44)

#125 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

The reason Piazza gets linked is the groin injury he had.  Many people thought the severity of that injury was cause by steroids.  "They" say normal people do not get that injury, and only use of other substances could cause that injury.

There's also the whole Piazza goes from being drafted in the 62nd round out of community college as a favor to Lasorda to the greatest hitting catcher of all time.

He's admitted to doing Creatine (which was not banned in baseball) and that some see as a gateway steroid.

In 2003 (I think) they did a league wide test and I believe 30% of the players tested positive for steroids.  Then you have people like David Wells saying 40% of the players used steroids.    I mean honestly if the writers who vote on the Hall of Fame don't think the players are all laughing at them, then...

#126 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Buster Olney's column on Bob Costas theory or comments of how to handle the steroid era.

I've thought more about an argument that Bob Costas forwarded the other day about the steroid era Hall of Fame candidates. The key word of his thesis -- embraced by others employed by MLB Network and Major League Baseball -- was "authentic." What he outlined, in so many words, is a search for "authenticity." 

The argument could be made, he said, that Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens were already Hall of Famers before they started using performance-enhancing drugs -- which, he seemed to be suggesting, made them more authentic than others. Some achievements and some players, he seemed to suggest, were authentic, while others lacked authenticity. 

It's an interesting ideal for which to aim, and the beauty of it is you really can move the line anywhere you want. 

Is there authenticity in the numbers of Babe Ruth, who played at a time when the sport was segregated? Is there authenticity in anything that happened before 1947? Are Hank Aaron's numbers more authentic than those of Ruth? Are Barry Bonds's numbers more authentic than that of Aaron and Ruth, because the game is more globalized, with the greater number of international participants providing a larger pool of talent? 

What about the war years, when rosters were depleted because stars like Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams and Willie Mays were in the military? Are those years authentic? When Williams was out of baseball to serve in Korea, were the numbers of the American League pitchers less authentic? 

How about the '60s, when the pitching was so dominant, so overwhelming, that the powers that be decided to lower the mound. Is Bob Gibson's 1.12 ERA in 1968 authentic? Is there authenticity in Sandy Koufax's feats? 

What about the performances of the stars of the Deadball Era -- Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, and others? Because they played at a time when the baseballs used essentially turned into shot puts during the course of the action, are those numbers authentic? 

What about the records produced with a 162-game season? Are they less authentic than the numbers generated in a 154-game season? (It seems Ford Frick went down this road before, in attaching an asterisk to Roger Maris's 61 homers in 1961, because apparently in his eyes, Maris's single-season home run record was less authentic than Ruth's home run record.) 

Are the World Series titles won since the advent of the divisional ard era in 1969 less authentic, because it could be argued that winning a league of eight to 10 teams over the course of the regular season is a much more difficult task? Or are the titles won in the wild-card era more authentic, because teams have had to go through two or three or even four rounds of playoffs? 

Testing for amphetamines started in 2006, and a lot of players and executives strongly believe that the offensive numbers have declined because most players haven't been able to use speed in the way that a very high percentage of players did for a period of about half a century. So do the numbers generated since amphetamine testing began lack authenticity? Or is it the numbers produced with greenies that lack authenticity? (Keep in mind: Some current Hall of Famers have acknowledged using amphetamines.) 

It's all very complicated. 

There's probably an easier way to determine authenticity than trying to assess mental demerits: You open the record book; click on Baseball-Reference.com. Everything in there is authentic, because it happened. It's all real; you can look up the box scores, for when Ruth mashed his 60th home run in 1927, when Maris hit No. 61 in '61

You can look up the 1919 World Series, with the 12 errors by the White Sox notated, orGame 6 of the 1975 World Series, or the amazing twists in the 2001 World Series. It's all there. It all happened -- the good, the bad, the ugly. 

Now, if a fans wants to assign more credence to something Ruth accomplished when he was in the live-ball era, or less credence because he played at a time of segregation, that's up to him or her. If the fan wants to give more credence to something accomplished in the years saturated merely by amphetamines than in the time filled with amphetamines andsteroids, well, that's the fan's prerogative. If the fan respects Gibson more than Clemens, hey, that's up to the fan. 

But unless Major League Baseball steps in and wipes the history from the books -- in the way that the Olympics have, in the case of Ben Johnson and others -- it's folly to question the authenticity of what happened in 1903, or 1927, or 1961, or 1998, or 2013. 

It's like arguing that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are less authentic than Abraham Lincoln because Washington and Jefferson were slave-owners, or that Lincoln was less authentic than Theodore Roosevelt because Lincoln once proposed the creation of a colony of African-Americans outside of the United States. Each is on Mt. Rushmore for what they accomplished in the context of their times. 

Baseball's history is authentic, and whether we love all of it or only some of it, or hate some of it, it happened, on the ever-changing landscape of circumstances. 

#127 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

In the end, isn't it all just entertainment?

#128 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

In the end, isn't it all just entertainment?

Exactly.

#129 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,193 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

My Freshman soccer coach used to call us "The only untainted team in sports!"

Man that coach was great he was a psychology professor at a nearby college.  Learned more from him than most teachers.

I mean in the early 90's was it coincidence that Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi always met in the finals or that Duke and North Carolina always met in the finals of the ACC tournament.  Probably, just that they were the best two, but maybe?????

#130 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,633 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

I think a few guys on my high school football team were using steroids, I think.  My evidence is seeing a guy have puss come out of an unknown orifice while working out in the gym.  Plus the same guy was way to cut and got big way to quick.

Please note, we never lost a game.