Hot stove baseball

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#51 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Red Sox are in talks with Nick Swisher, Cody Ross, and Mike Napoli and are expected to sign 2 of the 3....

Adam LaRoche is now looking for a new home with the Denard Span trade to the Nationals. Red Sox are interested.

#52 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

BJ Upton in talks with the Braves (to replace Bourne) .

BJ Upton signs 5 year deal at 70 mil or so with the Braves.

#53 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

yanks sign Mo for $10M
Russel takes his muscle to the Pirates

Looks like the mets inked Wright last night

#54 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Angels Acquire Tommy Hanson For Jordan Walden

#55 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Adam LaRoche is now looking for a new home with the Denard Span trade to the Nationals. Red Sox are interested.

Because the Nats went with Span (over Upton) they appear to have the money to go in on Greinke.

Damn, that would be a nasty starting 3 w/ Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg,

#56 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

Because the Nats went with Span (over Upton) they appear to have the money to go in on Greinke.

Damn, that would be a nasty starting 3 w/ Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg,

Wow, that would be formidable. I just do not see him turning down LA's money though. And LA is a great park to pitch in.

I am not a big fan of LaRoche, be wary.

#57 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

if I was greinke I would figure out a way to go to the cardinals
everyone always excels there, great crowd, good franchise and good park

#58 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

• The Mets increased their offer to R.A. Dickey, but it's unclear whether it's close enough to what Dickey seeks in a two-year deal. The Mets were stunned by Andy Pettitte's one-year, $12 million deal, coming off a year in which he made 12 starts -- and in a strange way, Pettitte is a comparable for Dickey, because of his age. If Pettitte is getting $12 million now, what is Dickey's market value after a season in which he won the Cy Young Award?

http://www.kansascit...ners-would.html

Mike and Cindy Hill know the vultures are coming. They would’ve expected it anyway, because that’s what happens in America when people win the lottery. So they’re not surprised the business offers started coming in before they were even officially introduced as the winners of nearly $300 million.
But they probably didn’t expect a request from a baseball All-Star.
“Hey Powerball winner/Royals fan in MO,” Royals slugger Billy Butler posted on Twitter. “...feel free to drop some $$$ off at the stadium... it will be put to good use! #pitching #spreadthelove”

They just laughed.

The Royals connection goes deeper, though, but it took a real fan to notice when the winning numbers were announced: 5, 16, 22, 23 and 29, with a Powerball of 6.
In other words: George Brett, Bo Jackson, Dennis Leonard, Mark Gubicza, Dan Quisenberry (or Mike Sweeney) with a Powerball of Willie Wilson

#59 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Napoli to the Red Sox on a 3 year deal. Could be the precursor to a Jarrod Saltalmacchia trade (maybe to the ChiSox for Gavin Floyd)

Red Sox said to be in on Nick Swisher and Shane Victorino

#60 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

A-Rod is out until June with hip surgery. Guess the trade rumors die down for a while...

#61 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Napoli to the Red Sox on a 3 year deal. Could be the precursor to a Jarrod Saltalmacchia trade (maybe to the ChiSox for Gavin Floyd)

Red Sox said to be in on Nick Swisher and Shane Victorino

Mets have interest in JS, but prolly asking too much. See Gavin Floyd as too much in asking price.

Victorino is not the smartest player on the bases. He has lots of brain farts on the base pads.

#62 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Is Napoli going to Catch or play First primarily
Thats a ton of money for a guy coming off a bad year, but they need a bat.

not the worse thing in the world for AROD to get eased back in. it will be interesting to see what they do. Seems like Stephen Drew is a hot name for the yankees to fill in for Arod and Jeter as needed.

where is Louie Sojo when you need him...

#63 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Sources: Dan Haren to Nationals

#64 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Is Napoli going to Catch or play First primarily
Thats a ton of money for a guy coming off a bad year, but they need a bat.

not the worse thing in the world for AROD to get eased back in. it will be interesting to see what they do. Seems like Stephen Drew is a hot name for the yankees to fill in for Arod and Jeter as needed.

where is Louie Sojo when you need him...

1B primarily and hoping that reducing the wear of catching and playing in Fenway leads to a rebound year. Apparently his BABIB was at .220 last year but .320 the year before, so if it goes to .270 he should be a nice piece. If they get Swisher (who seems to be leaning towards San Fran) then they'll rotate Napoli a bit more into catcher. Otherwise, they're hoping Lavarnway is the future at catcher, possibly by the middle or end of the year.

Josh Hamilton rumors have the Rangers and Red Sox as favorites right now...

#65 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Rumor is Victorino to Red Sox.

#66 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

Rumor is Victorino to Red Sox.

No rumor, Victorino 3 yrs 39 mil. Apparently the Indians offered 4 yrs 44 mil....

#Rays indeed do have a deal to get SS Yunel Escobar from #Marlins for INF prospect Derek Dietrich

#67 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

interesting mix of scrappy guys the sox got. they like the yanks still have holes and need to get younger.

I dont like any of the rumors guys for the yanks.
Wouldnt mind the yankees trading granderson for the right package...maybe they can spin him into a top prospect or two, and send them along with Nunez to Arizona for Justin Upton??

I would like to see the yankees look at Toff Frazier as well, he is still young, solid all around player at 3b/OF and is used to being a role player.

I want no part of Hamilton thats for sure.

#68 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

No rumor, Victorino 3 yrs 39 mil. Apparently the Indians offered 4 yrs 44 mil....

#Rays indeed do have a deal to get SS Yunel Escobar from #Marlins for INF prospect Derek Dietrich

Victorino's deal doomed to fail

I am not a fan of Victorino's, and you will also be asking questions like, why did he do that? Or what was he thinking there?

#69 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

interesting mix of scrappy guys the sox got. they like the yanks still have holes and need to get younger.

I dont like any of the rumors guys for the yanks.
Wouldnt mind the yankees trading granderson for the right package...maybe they can spin him into a top prospect or two, and send them along with Nunez to Arizona for Justin Upton??

I would like to see the yankees look at Toff Frazier as well, he is still young, solid all around player at 3b/OF and is used to being a role player.

Cincy is not giving up the 3rd runner up in the NL rookie of the year.

#70 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

JG, Buster Olney is speculating on good destinations for Elsbury today.

Would you trade him for Cliff Lee (3 years $87 mil left)

They desperately need some outfield help, and the Red Sox have had interest in Cliff Lee in the past and have the ability to absorb his extraordinary salary -- he's owed $87 million over the next three seasons. Among lesser options the prospect-thin Phillies could offer would be Vance Worley, though again, it all depends on how the Red Sox would evaluate him. Boston is not going to get a huge package of players in return for Ellsbury, given that he's so close to free agency.

#71 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

for some reason I thought I read he was available this year I must have been thinking of someone else

#72 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

for some reason I thought I read he was available this year I must have been thinking of someone else

No worries, he was very good when he played everyday, when they moved him to the bench or platoon he did not play well in September.

#73 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

JG, Buster Olney is speculating on good destinations for Elsbury today.

Would you trade him for Cliff Lee (3 years $87 mil left)

There was an interesting article on Yahoo today, talking about the 3 yr window the Red Sox seem to be creating. Essentially that they expect the next generation of players to be ready by then. Boegarts, Barnes, Bradley, specifically and perhaps Middlebrooks and Lavarnway as well.

That because the Red Sox are so far under "the cap" they can afford to overpay/absorb short contracts, especially if they don't cost draft picks and more importantly draft picks slot money (Josh Hamilton, Nick Swisher?)
Certainly Cliff Lee works into that plan. Especially if the Red Sox than flip Lester for Wil Myers. It gives you an average team for now, that maybe can overproduce, while maybe the Blues Jays and Yankees under produce?

However if the Phillies are going all in, why would they trade Cliff Lee?

#74 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

There was an interesting article on Yahoo today, talking about the 3 yr window the Red Sox seem to be creating. Essentially that they expect the next generation of players to be ready by then. Boegarts, Barnes, Bradley, specifically and perhaps Middlebrooks and Lavarnway as well.

That because the Red Sox are so far under "the cap" they can afford to overpay/absorb short contracts, especially if they don't cost draft picks and more importantly draft picks slot money (Josh Hamilton, Nick Swisher?)
Certainly Cliff Lee works into that plan. Especially if the Red Sox than flip Lester for Wil Myers. It gives you an average team for now, that maybe can overproduce, while maybe the Blues Jays and Yankees under produce?

I think the Phillies are down on Lee after last year, and if they move him they can be more flexible to sign other players.

#75 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Very interesting though.

I think that is a good plan.

#76 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

from Buster Olney
Arizona is the middle of this four-team talk; they would be getting Asdrubal Cabrera for Trevor Bauer.

Red Sox could be close on a two-year deal with Stephen Drew.

#77 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Chavez signs with AZ. Figured he would be a yank again.
Interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

#78 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

from Buster Olney
Arizona is the middle of this four-team talk; they would be getting Asdrubal Cabrera for Trevor Bauer.

Another version of the trade above has Upton going to the Rangers, Cabrera to the DBacks, and Martin Perez to the Indians.

Red Sox could be close on a two-year deal with Stephen Drew.

#79 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

If the Rangers trade for Upton, then the market on Josh Hamilton just collapsed (taking the Red Sox out as well?) With only the Mariners remaining to bid against, the Yankees would have to jump back in....

#80 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

i really hope that doesnt happen
I think the yankees are going cheap this year

i think the current ownership is cool winning 90+ games and stay relevant enough to keep making money

if they win, its a bonus but not the main focus anymore.

I just do not see a plan to get better and get younger.

#81 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Report: Jason Bay to Mariners

#82 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Chavez signs with AZ. Figured he would be a yank again.
Interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

Looks like the Yanks offered a 3 yr deal to Keppinger, but he went to the ChiSox for slightly less money.

Keppinger three-year deal with #WhiteSox for about $12M.

They say they're talking to Youk, but he wants huge money to only sign a 1 year deal.
The Indians appear to be offering more...

#83 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I think Youk would be good fit in Philly.

His approach may rub off on Ryan Howard.

#84 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Indians are also in on Dee Gordon as a replacement if the Cabrera deal goes down.

#85 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

His approach may rub off on Ryan Howard.

You want two? old and hurty first basemen?

#86 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Looks like the Phillies have turned their attention to trading for Michael Young to play 3rd base.

Could be a crazy day for the Rangers if they trade away Young, sign Greinke, and trade for Justin Upton...

If the Justin Upton deal goes through, look for Josh Hamilton to sign with the Mariners...

#87 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

You want two? old and hurty first basemen?

I do not, I just think he might be a good fit at 3rd. 3rd base is weak.

Looks like the Phillies have turned their attention to trading for Michael Young to play 3rd base.

Could be a crazy day for the Rangers if they trade away Young, sign Greinke, and trade for Justin Upton...

If the Justin Upton deal goes through, look for Josh Hamilton to sign with the Mariners...

With that said, why would they bring in a 35 year old 3rd basemen?

Yes could be crazy day, hope it is.

#88 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I do not, I just think he might be a good fit at 3rd. 3rd base is weak.

With that said, why would they bring in a 35 year old 3rd basemen?

Yes could be crazy day, hope it is.

Age doesn't really matter to the Phillies if this and next season are it with this core. Plus he won't cost any real prospects, but will give 600+ decent ABs

#89 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

yanks supposedly have a 1yr/$12M deal in front of Youk
Would be odd to see him a yankee, but it would be a good fit for them, as would Young

#90 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Phils and Twins discussing Ben Revere. Possibly for Vance Worley.

Deal is done.

#91 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

The Royals acquired former All-Star James Shields and fellow right-hander Wade Davis from Tampa Bay in a six-player deal that sent top prospects Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi along with two other minor leaguers to the Rays. The swap immediately bolsters the Royals' starting rotation and should make them a contender in the relatively weak American League Central.

#92 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Great to see KC going for it.

It's a shame they haven't been relevant since the 80s.

#93 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Much wringing of the hands from Red Sox fans that the Rays were able to pull this trade off and their team couldn't....

#94 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Much wringing of the hands from Red Sox fans that the Rays were able to pull this trade off and their team couldn't....

I say sour grapes for RS fans. Trades happen because teams like your teams young players, not we could not get it done.

The royals liked Shields better than Lester.

#95 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

From peter King on his Beloved Red Sox:

It's entirely possible the Red Sox are the fifth-best team in the East. Just because you spend $13 million a year on Shane Victorino doesn't make him a $13-million-a-year player

#96 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

The royals liked Shields better than Lester.

We'll nickname this segment, Andy's Obvious Ideas

although the more correct statement would br that they like Shields and Wade Davis more than Lester + ?

#97 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

It's entirely possible the Red Sox are the fifth-best team in the East.

1. Yes, please see the hand wringing comment above.

Just because you spend $13 million a year on Shane Victorino doesn't make him a $13-million-a-year player

Lets start with the fact the Indians offered him 4 yrs $44 million.

On the otherhand you could spend $40 million on Angel Pagan or $15 million to Joe Blanton, but I wouldn't do that either.
What Peter King doesn't appear to understand is the major restructuring of contracts going on. Teams now have a hard salary cap in the draft and in the international market and a soft salary cap on the major league roster and tons and tons of money flowing in. Its resulting in teams desperate to spend it on players that wouldn't have sniffed that money even last year....

Either way he takes an obvious statement, (the Rays, Yankees, Blue Jays, and Orioles are better positioned than the Red Sox) and connects it to an uninformed statement, when he should just stick to NFL analysis.

#98 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,644 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

We'll nickname this segment, Andy's Obvious Ideas

although the more correct statement would br that they like Shields and Wade Davis more than Lester + ?

That would be great, I am pretty good with the Obvious.

:lol:

Although I agree with PK, the Red Sox overpaid for Victorino. But he is better than Pagan. Although both are ADD players who lose track of the game situation on occasion, which will drive you nuts.

#99 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Youk to Yankees

Shin-Soo Choo to the Reds

#100 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 860 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

wonder if we will see Youk on the back of a horse in October?!
so odd seeing him as a yankee, but considering the options he is a solid fit.

the landscape of baseball certainly is changing

watch the red sox win the WS this year beating the Padre's in 7