• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Let have an off season thread dedicated to the discussion of transactions this winter.

Trades happening earlier than usual.

D-backs acquire reliever Heath Bell

http://espn.go.com/m...oung-pair-deals

Royals acquire Ervin Santana

http://espn.go.com/l...-angeles-angels

#2 Jakemass

Jakemass
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationArlington, Ma.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Where will Josh Hamilton end up? Milwaukee??

#3 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

How much money and how many years is the better question?

If he stays in ball park of 4 years and reasonable money (4 for 60, 15 per). Milwaukee has been mentioned.

I think the Braves are a sleeper. If they let McCann and Bourne walk they would have cash to do so.

Or the White Sox my other sleeper. They are not shy on spending and have some money coming off if the decline Youkalis's option..

#4 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

Thought this was going to be about playing baseball with a scalding hot frying pan or something.

Color me disappointed.

#5 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Great pitcher coming over from Japan.... Blue Jays, Rangers, Orioles, and Yankees are the favorites

#6 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Look at this stat:

The trouble with the Kansas City Royals is they've developed exactly two decent starting pitchers in 25 years. And one of those two got hurt early in his career, and the other was traded.

So, as always, it turns to starting pitching with the Royals. This franchise has one winning season since the 1994 strike season. In those 18 seasons of the wild-card era, only 11 pitchers have won at least 25 games with the Royals. That unfortunate roll call:

1. Zack Greinke, 60 wins, 3.82 ERA: first-round pick, 2002.
2. Kevin Appier, 49 wins, 3.97 ERA: first-round pick, 1987.
3. Tim Belcher, 42 wins, 4.38 ERA: free agent, 1996.
4. Jeff Suppan, 38 wins, 4.73 ERA: purchased from Arizona, 2008.
5. Jose Rosado, 37 wins, 4.27 ERA: 12th-round pick, 1994.
6. Brian Bannister, 35 wins, 5.13 ERA: trade with Mets, 2006.
7. Luke Hochevar, 33 wins, 5.36 ERA: first overall pick, 2006.
8. Kyle Davies, 29 wins, 5.34 ERA: trade with Braves, 2007.
9. Gil Meche, 29 wins, 4.27 ERA: free agent, 2007.
10. Bruce Chen, 28 wins, 4.35 ERA: free agent, 2009.
11. Runelvys Hernandez, 25 wins, 5.38 ERA: amateur free agent, 1997.

The Hochevar pick -- Dayton Moore was hired just before the draft that year -- was especially disastrous, as Evan Longoria, Clayton Kershaw and Lincecum were top-10 selections that year. Going back even further, between 1997 and 2001, the Royals spent top-seven picks on pitchers Dan Reichert, Jeff Austin, Kyle Snyder, Mike Stodolka and Colt Griffin. None developed.

#7 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Very interested to see where Hamilton ends up and for how much. He had an up and down year and brings baggage. I just know he won't be going to the Yankees.

#8 Jakemass

Jakemass
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationArlington, Ma.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Very interested to see where Hamilton ends up and for how much. He had an up and down year and brings baggage. I just know he won't be going to the Yankees.

NYC would implode with both Hamilton and Tebow in town.

#9 Jakemass

Jakemass
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationArlington, Ma.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Great pitcher coming over from Japan.... Blue Jays, Rangers, Orioles, and Yankees are the favorites

He is only 18 y.o.... Anyone who wants him can have Daiske Matsuzaka for cheap money..please!!!

#10 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

((((((((((((((((((Royals)))))))))))))))))

#11 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Orioles are the ones that have me worried (as a Saux fan)

#12 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

The Mets cut ties with Jason Bay yesterday and if they can't come to an agreement with Dickey soon, may trade him for OF or C help...

D-Backs appear to be trading Justin Upton and are looking for a 3B or SS. If the Rangers lose out on Hamilton they might be willing to trade Andrus for Upton...

#13 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I saw Cleveland has interest in bringing in Youkalis.

Also saw the Phillies are interested in Denard Spahn.

#14 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

The Miami Marlins and Toronto Blue Jays are on the verge of a blockbuster trade that would send shortstop Jose Reyes and pitcher Josh Johnson to Toronto, according to sources.

Also going to Toronto would be pitcher Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and infielder-outfielder Emilio Bonifacio.

"Just about any (Marlins) player making money is going to Toronto," a source told ESPN.

The Blue Jays are sending shortstop Yunel Escobar, two top prospects -- outfielder Jake Marisnick and shortstop Adeiny Hechevarria -- and possibly more to the Marlins.

Reyes (6 years, $106 million) and Buehrle (4 years, $58 million) just signed long-term deals with the Marlins last offseason. Buck has one year remaining at $6 million, Johnson one year at $13.75 million, and Bonifacio is eligible for arbitration after making $2.2 million last year.

#15 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

UPDATE, 7:58 PM: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Jake Marisnick, a 21-year-old outfield prospect with a .278/.351/.436 career batting line in the minor leagues, will also be joining the Marlins organization.

UPDATE, 6:41 PM: The Fish will get shortstop Yunel Escobar, infielder Adeiny Hechavarria, right-hander Henderson Alvarez and lefty Justin Nicolino in return, according to various reports.

Mike Stanton already throwing a fit

@Giancarlo818

Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple

#16 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Blue Jays fan for life..so happy right now

#17 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

RT @Joelsherman1: 2 execs spoke to already said this: Ricky Nolasco will be next to go from #Marlins

#18 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

How many times will the Marlins fire sale the team? And to an AL East team no less. :bang:

#19 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

crazy trade. how pissed is Reyes!

now watch the yankees go get stanton to have him turn into a .220 pull hitter who hits 47HR and 72RBI

#20 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

crazy trade. how pissed is Reyes!

now watch the yankees go get stanton to have him turn into a .220 pull hitter who hits 47HR and 72RBI

I'd love to see Stanton on the Yanks!!

#21 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

No dice! You've already got 3 OFs and a 1B!

Actually it was suggested that the Rangers might use Profar to get him (instead of using Andrus for Ellsbury or Upton)

#22 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

No dice! You've already got 3 OFs and a 1B!

Actually it was suggested that the Rangers might use Profar to get him (instead of using Andrus for Ellsbury or Upton)

A trade could be worked out for Stanton and I'm guessing that he wants out of Miami now.

#23 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I was half joking. We actually only have one OF in Granderson now so we could use him.
hopefully the yankees dont over-react old school style and give Hamilton a shit ton of money

I also want no part of Torii Hunter, hope he goes to detroit as rumored.

#24 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I was half joking. We actually only have one OF in Granderson now so we could use him.
hopefully the yankees dont over-react old school style and give Hamilton a shit ton of money

I also want no part of Torii Hunter, hope he goes to detroit as rumored.

Hunter is declining in everyway. I also want no part of him. Granderson and Gardner is who we have at the moment and I bet Ichiro resigns. We'll see....

#25 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Gardner is a nice role player, but not anything more then an avg everyday outfielder IMO
Not sure why the yankees think he has so much potential

he is a .275 slap hitter, with great speed who always misses time. once he loses a step he has very little value
I like bringing Ichiro back for a year, but we need to get younger

#26 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hunter is declining in everyway. I also want no part of him. Granderson and Gardner is who we have at the moment and I bet Ichiro resigns. We'll see....

While yes he is, he did hit .350 in the second half this year.

Top 8 in batting average after the All-Star break in 2012
1. Buster Posey .385
2. Torii Hunter .350
3. Marco Scutaro .339
4. Miguel Cabrera .337
5. Billy Butler .336
6. Ryan Braun .333
7. Jeff Keppinger .332
8. Aramis Ramirez .331

#27 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Gardner is a nice role player, but not anything more then an avg everyday outfielder IMO

he is a .275 slap hitter, with great speed who always misses time. once he loses a step he has very little value
I like bringing Ichiro back for a year, but we need to get younger

I see changes coming in the outfield before all is said and done.

#28 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

While yes he is, he did hit .350 in the second half this year.

Top 8 in batting average after the All-Star break in 2012
1. Buster Posey .385
2. Torii Hunter .350
3. Marco Scutaro .339
4. Miguel Cabrera .337
5. Billy Butler .336
6. Ryan Braun .333
7. Jeff Keppinger .332
8. Aramis Ramirez .331

I did hear that. IMHO that is hardly a reason to sign him to a contract. He is a very popular clubhouse guy but we already have a few of those. His best days are behind him and the Yanks need to get younger not older.

#29 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

The Tigers have agreed to sign Torii Hunter to a two-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Hunter obtains $26MM over two years, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter). The contract with the Reynolds Sports Management client is pending a physical
Read more at http://www.mlbtrader...E3Oq7YCwG8ia.99

#30 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

The Tigers have agreed to sign Torii Hunter to a two-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Hunter obtains $26MM over two years, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter). The contract with the Reynolds Sports Management client is pending a physical
Read more at http://www.mlbtrader...E3Oq7YCwG8ia.99

13 million a year??? That's absurd for a guy that old and in decline. LOL!

#31 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

13 million a year??? That's absurd for a guy that old and in decline. LOL!

This.

2 year 20 mill would have been a little pricey, but they say baseball teams are infused with new money from the increasing revenue from TV packages. Get used to seeing over played players.

#32 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

This.

2 year 20 mill would have been a little pricey, but they say baseball teams are infused with new money from the increasing revenue from TV packages. Get used to seeing over played players.

Ebb and flow with the salaries to a certain extent. Glad the Yankees don't overpay for players. :lol:

#33 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

He was pretty healthy in 2010 & 2011. Plus it looks like he's making $2.8 million which is a great deal for the Yankees.

(Yeah I know you were kidding on Stanton :) )
Looks like he won't be a free agent for quite a while, so unless he refuses to play, the cost in players to get him would be sky high...

#34 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

He was pretty healthy in 2010 & 2011. Plus it looks like he's making $2.8 million which is a great deal for the Yankees.

(Yeah I know you were kidding on Stanton :) )
Looks like he won't be a free agent for quite a while, so unless he refuses to play, the cost in players to get him would be sky high...

dont get me wrong he's a nice player, just not someone I think has much more potential then what we have seen
.270 w/100K's is not a good trade off for some steals IMO

for some reason the yankees keep acting like he has superstar potential.

#35 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

lolReyes. good for you. go buy a few sweaters.:beer:

#36 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

dont get me wrong he's a nice player, just not someone I think has much more potential then what we have seen
.270 w/100K's is not a good trade off for some steals IMO

They do that with all their players, for future trade value.

#37 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I agree for prospects Andy, but for some reason the yankees brass has a hard on for Gardner, they always have
Nunez is another one that they love more then then should

#38 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Take a look, its his fielding that has them in a tizzy http://www.fangraphs...927&position=OF
It gives him a WAR between 6 & 5.(which is why he's taking over center next year)

#39 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Names mentioned for Red Sox
  • Shin-Soo Choo, RF (I like his game)
  • Cody Ross, RF
  • Ryan Dempster, RHP
  • Justin Masterson, RHP
  • Adam LaRoche, 1B (don't like him, but production has been there)
  • Mike Napoli, C/1B
  • Anibal Sanchez, RHP
  • Hiroki Kuroda, RHP
  • Justin Upton, RF
  • Joe Blanton, RHP

#40 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Names mentioned for Red Sox

• Shin-Soo Choo, RF (I like his game)
  • Cody Ross, RF
  • Ryan Dempster, RHP
  • Justin Masterson, RHP
  • Adam LaRoche, 1B (don't like him, but production has been there)
  • Mike Napoli, C/1B
  • Anibal Sanchez, RHP
  • Hiroki Kuroda, RHP
  • Justin Upton, RF
  • Joe Blanton, RHP

Ross will sign with the Sox and Kuroda will either sign with the Yanks or go back to Japan. I have heard Mike Napoli's name mentioned for the Sox but strictly for first.

#41 Count P-Funk

Count P-Funk
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Love Gardner (as a player) - don't understand how Yankee fans don't appreciate what they have there.
Disappointed in the MVP vote, but change is slow.

#42 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Love Gardner (as a player) - don't understand how Yankee fans don't appreciate what they have there.
Disappointed in the MVP vote, but change is slow.

The MVP came down to traditional thinking vs W.A.R. I am a more of a traditional thinking guy. The right guy won IMHO. No disrespect to Trout. He had a great year as well.

#43 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Dont get me wrong I like gardner, he plays hard, and seems like hustle type player. I jusr dont think the ceiling is any higher for him then we have seen
He has speed and plays a solid defense (although his arm is avg)

He is a .270 hitter, and strikes out 100 times.

He is a nice player, but not much more then that.
Once his speed goes, he is a below avg every day player IMO

#44 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

The MVP came down to the fact that Detroit won their division, coming from 4 or 5 games back to over take the White Sox, and the Angels finishing in third.

Had this gone the other way, Trout wins.

#45 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

The MVP came down to the fact that Detroit won their division, coming from 4 or 5 games back to over take the White Sox, and the Angels finishing in third.

Had this gone the other way, Trout wins.

That didn't hurt either. I personally think that playing an important role in winning the divison should be weighed in heavily. Just me though...

#46 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I think Cabrera also deserves some credit for switching positions and being a team guy in that respect

they both had historic seasons and both won major awards and accolades.

#47 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Breaking News: It is being reported that Melky Cabrera will be heading to the Blue Jays. Lauren Shehadi has the details coming up on MLB Network at 3pm ET.

#48 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Ross will sign with the Sox

I'm not so sure about that right now.

#49 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

1. There is a perception among other teams that the Royals are looking to capitalize on the value of prospect Wil Myers right now -- to the point that questions are popping up about why the Royals want to trade him.

The reason could be as simple as this: Trading Myers gives the Royals their best chance at landing a good and relatively young pitcher, while at the same time allowing Kansas City to keep its developing group of young major league position players intact.

The Red Sox have discussed a possible deal with Kansas City involving Jon Lester. He is the perfect type of pitcher for the Royals to invest in: He's still in the first portion of his career, he's under contract and he has a chance to be pretty good. Plus he's left-handed.

#50 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,062 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

One person involved in the Zack Greinke talks believes that in the end, the pitcher could get a deal larger than the seven-year, $161 million package that CC Sabathia got from the New York Yankees, which is the current record for pitchers.

And remember this: If the Dodgers sign Greinke -- or even if they don't -- this deal will have a direct bearing on the forthcoming negotiations with left-hander Clayton Kershaw, who is clearly regarded as the better pitcher. Kershaw is in line to be eligible for free agency after the 2014 season, at age 27; if he actually hit the open market, the Yankees, Red Sox and other teams would be in position to make strong bids, if they wanted.

But the Dodgers, in free-spending mode, will presumably work out a long-term deal with Kershaw before that happens. Following this order of business, however -- not finishing a Kershaw extension before getting involved in the Greinke talks -- will likely to cost the team a lot of money.

The Dodgers' new TV deal has the baseball world in an uproar. There are also a lot of folks who don't think the deal is worth in real present-day dollars what it has said to be worth.