• Please log in to reply
659 replies to this topic

#651 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Anoo :heart: Sarah :heart:

Jason was able to go over with his dad for the first time yesterday. the island is still under lock and key but residents are allowed to cross over in the morning as long as they vacate by 3pm, the last couple of days. though the insurance adjuster and contractor haven't been onsite yet, we're pretty sure the house will be condemned when all is said and done. the old sewer line that runs below the house cracked and filled their home with raw sewage, and the foundation is cracked.

Jason punctured his hand while removing slippery, nasty carpeting and had to go for a tetanus shot. later, he dropped a freezer on the same hand and nearly broke it. in the same accident he blew out his knee. some healing vibes and love sent his way would be helpful today.

his folks are taking everything as it comes but it is beginning to wear on them and we're concerned about their long-term mental and physical health. the one thing they have going for them is they have an incredibly strong bond with each other, and are so supportive and loving. it's inspirational and explains so much about Jason.

i hope this next phase (dealing with insurance adjusters, contractors, etc) goes swiftly so they can focus on rebuilding and moving forward. this part is hard on everyone. sifting through what remains of their home of the last 40+ years, the home that was built for them by an uncle as a wedding gift...facing the possible tear down of that home and wondering whether they can ever live comfortably in a new home with all these new memories...

part of me wonders if they wouldn't be happier walking away from it all and starting over in a new town. but i don't think his mom could do it. she grew up there, watched her family build the town, owned an Italian restaurant there, made her family there, put down roots there.

Uncle Frank's business is gone and he's considering his options. one thing is for sure, there will be no need for his old store or anything like it for a very long time. he's considering converting the store into a restaurant to serve all the contractors who will be working in Ortley for months and years to come. he's not ready to retire and his old business isn't viable without residents and beach-goers to support it.

i just don't know. but whatever happens...life goes on. still very thankful that they were not there when all this happened.

#652 Mutant

Mutant
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Much love to all who continue to struggle with Sandy's aftermath. :heart:

#653 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,447 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks elder.

The thing that's hard is like... I am not starving or have no place to stay... so I'm hesitant to really hound FEMA for help. There are undoubtedly people who need help more than me. Nevertheless, I've paid taxes every year since I was 16, and 3 weeks of 'mobile' living in order to get to work here every day costs a lot of extra money. Still no timeframe on when our bldg will be liveable or if they will let us out of our leases.... so ya feel stuck.

The reality is that the only thing FEMA can really offer people is money. They have said many times that there is no room to setup temporary shelters down here, there are no hotel vacancies within 100 miles and the apartment vacancy rate is under 3% in a lot of the affected areas. You're stuck until you can go back home.

Anyways I'm just venting. Life is good.

hope you get it figured out soon BHB.

#654 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,898 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, NY

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

sarah, i'll text next week, leaving until Monday.

thanks y'all for the support and input... much appreciated.

#655 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,898 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, NY

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

no ETA on custom made commercial boilers. doh!

FEMA claim complete.
Lease and utilities terminated.
Looking like Westchester will be the new home.

Congrats Sandy! You win bitch!

gonna miss that beach.

Posted Image

#656 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

:heart:

#657 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,614 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

:( <3

#658 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

that sucks the balls.

Westchester is closer to Rockland. Lemme know when you wanna hang out. I'll even make BBQ for ya. :beer:

#659 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,898 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, NY

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the love.

meh, was time to move on anyways.
I've never live anywhere for more than 3 years and this was my 3rd.

sounds good J ... or if you're interested, come join me at http://www.beerandbo...-york/show-info

not sure you want to take the family though :cheers:

#660 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

i love you all :heart: :heart: :heart: