Tropical Storm Sandy

• Please log in to reply
659 replies to this topic

#551 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

a family friend flew over the McEwan home today and confirmed what we already suspected: there is nothing to come home to.

his parents are with us now, and devastated beyond belief. 40+ years of memories in that home, on that island...all traces gone. the place we were married. Jason's elementary school. his uncle's store. their home. so many homes and businesses. everything...just...gone.

Mom did take a minute to pack up a few irreplaceable family mementos before evacuating before the storm hit Lava. they're with us for safe keeping until they can establish a new home, somewhere. they hope to rebuild, but we don't know yet if that will even be possible.

lots of sadness today as reality sets in, followed immediately by deep gratitude that they are safe and sound and here, not there.

so many of our friends are now homeless. it's hard to take it all in at the moment, really. unfathomable.

Oh, Thuggie, I'm so sorry to read this. :(

If there's anything we're able to do to ease your family's difficulty,,,

<3

#552 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

well...some folks round these parts call 'em vegan burgers :cowboy:

:eek1:

:lol:

#553 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,567 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

:heart:

#554 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

So sorry to hear, JT. Glad everyone is safe though.

#555 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,182 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

a family friend flew over the McEwan home today and confirmed what we already suspected: there is nothing to come home to.

his parents are with us now, and devastated beyond belief. 40+ years of memories in that home, on that island...all traces gone. the place we were married. Jason's elementary school. his uncle's store. their home. so many homes and businesses. everything...just...gone.

Mom did take a minute to pack up a few irreplaceable family mementos before evacuating before the storm hit Lava. they're with us for safe keeping until they can establish a new home, somewhere. they hope to rebuild, but we don't know yet if that will even be possible.

lots of sadness today as reality sets in, followed immediately by deep gratitude that they are safe and sound and here, not there.

so many of our friends are now homeless. it's hard to take it all in at the moment, really. unfathomable.

so sorry :heart:

you are the example of "good people" and what's good about humanity!

so glad everyone is ok!

#556 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,182 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

so sorry :heart:

you are the example of "good people" and what's good about humanity!

so glad everyone is ok!

#557 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,529 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

My heart goes out to you and Jason and your familys Thuggie, and everybody in your situations.
Watching the Channel 12 chopper tour of the shore last night gave me chills. So much is just not recognizable. If theres anything I can do...

And thats just it. A lot of people can't go help other people because of the gas situation. I've never seen anything like this in my life.
If you drive somewhere you stand the chance of running out of gas. Its that hard to come by.

As we sit here in the cold, I keep reminding my family about whats happened down the shore, up in Moonachie, etc. How lucky we are just to be powerless. There are many now who are homeless.

Thinking of all of you today.

#558 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

jennie and jason, heartfelt best wishes to you and your whole family, and to the othes who have suffered loss and disruption in their lives coming out of the storm. <3

#559 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Wow!! My heart goes out to you, Jason and Family. This is so terrible.

#560 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

#561 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,196 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

(((Thuggie & Jason)))

#562 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,430 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Oh man, that's so sad! :sad:

I'm so sorry Jennie and Jason. Much love and positive energy to you guys and Jason's parents.

If there's anything any of us can do, please say so.

#563 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,253 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

So sorry, J and J.

#564 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,392 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

thank you all. we can feel your love, prayers and vibes and really do appreciate it. :heart:

we spent the morning on the phone with FEMA and now the 'rents are out picking up medications, clothing and other basic necessities. they're going to stay with us for a while...maybe a long while. so we're making things as close to normal for them as we can. it's just...man, it's the craziest thing. the hardest part is waiting to hear about friends and neighbors who didn't leave the island before the storm. we're hoping for news today, and have a friend on the rescue team who will get back to us as soon as they can identify the victims they've found.

Lucy the dog may be a permanent member of the family. she's really taken to us and her owner is hinting at it. might be good...she cheers things up around here.

#565 Mutant

Mutant
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thinking of you and Jason, Jen. Your positivity through this horrible ordeal is truly inspiring. :heart: :heart:

#566 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

#567 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

#568 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Anyone know what's going on in Rockland?

Stony Point is good for the most part. Calrkstown got its ass kicked, along with orangeburg.

there aren't many working traffic lights south of congers. some secondary roads are still blocked, and other problem spots are problems. (9w from piermont to nyack)

Piermont took a beating ,nyack / haverstraw / stony poiny along the hudson got the crap kicked out of it good. the river breached the sea wall in grassy point.

my office in congers just got power back this morning, and things are slowly coming to life. I'm still without power in sparkill, so we're camping at my folks in stony point.

#569 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,440 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

the great south bay has receded from my basement.

i can't describe the surreal feeling watching that wall of water coming at us at high tide monday night.
almost as shocking as seeing the towers collapse on 9-11. burned in my brain.

but it's only material losses. a mother lost two young children swept away in the surge. so sad.

#570 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

much love JT & Jason, and to all affected <3 <3 <3

#571 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I didn't read the entire thread before responding to the rockland question.

much love to you thuggie, and jason, and the family. :heart:

#572 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,254 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I didn't read the entire thread before responding to the rockland question.

I appreciate the info. It's been hard communicating with family.

#573 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I appreciate the info. It's been hard communicating with family.

no problem, I've been from SP to sparkill, through orangeburg and in congers over the last couple of days.

route 303 from NY into NJ is surreal. the starbucks lot was the only place with power on tuesday. take out from the pizza place in the wendy's parking lot was over an hour. one of the 7 gas stations on that strip has gas and the line is completely around the block onto 303.

if you're looking for any specifics lemme know, and I'll do the best I can to find out. :beer:

#574 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,251 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

sending healing, loving vibes to all who need them

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

#575 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

:iagree: And more of the same. J and J, so sorry. I'm glad they grabbed some of those irreplaceables before leaving though. Destroyed pictures made me so sad when helping flooded friends last year. Nice they kept a few safe, along with themselves.
Peace

#576 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,392 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

we just received the most amazing news...the initial report we received (from a friend who said he stood on the street in front of a vacant lot where their house once stood) turns out to be absolutely false. an aerial satellite image from this afternoon shows that the house is still standing, and a close family friend confirmed that with their own photos. no mistaking this...their home still stands!

there is no way of knowing what is awaiting us inside or what will be salvageable, including the structure of the building. but some of the most important things to them are stored way up in the attic, and we are pretty sure water could not have reached that height.

we are celebrating a minor victory tonight, and are eager to get onto the island as soon as the national guard will allow, or sooner if we can find a small boat to take over there, as others have safely done. it's going to be a long road, but we are settling in together at our place and things are looking SO much better than they did this morning. even if the house needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the foundation up, the things that are most important to us are most likely intact...and we have each other, which is so much more important than ANY stuff.

#577 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,877 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

thats awesome news, Jennie! :clapping:

i just watched the news and they did a story about staten island...i didnt realize how hard they got hit :shocked:
PLEASE tell me someone has heard from dave? :dunno:

#578 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

love to you both and so happy things are at least momentarily moving in the right the direction. I've got my lovely at the ready willing to knit cock socks and titty toasters a plenty as you need them. ;)

P.S. - don't ask Mario for help with a boat. sofuckingangryrightnow

#579 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,164 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

we just received the most amazing news...the initial report we received (from a friend who said he stood on the street in front of a vacant lot where their house once stood) turns out to be absolutely false. an aerial satellite image from this afternoon shows that the house is still standing, and a close family friend confirmed that with their own photos. no mistaking this...their home still stands!

there is no way of knowing what is awaiting us inside or what will be salvageable, including the structure of the building. but some of the most important things to them are stored way up in the attic, and we are pretty sure water could not have reached that height.

we are celebrating a minor victory tonight, and are eager to get onto the island as soon as the national guard will allow, or sooner if we can find a small boat to take over there, as others have safely done. it's going to be a long road, but we are settling in together at our place and things are looking SO much better than they did this morning. even if the house needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the foundation up, the things that are most important to us are most likely intact...and we have each other, which is so much more important than ANY stuff.

Great news! And i hope it gets better when you get more info.... Love to you all :heart:

#580 Mutant

Mutant
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Wow Jennie! That is sofuckingawesome! Hope a visit to the island reveals more happy surprises. Much love to you, Jason, and your families. :heart:

#581 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

thats awesome news, Jennie! :clapping:

Definitely this! :clapping:

i just watched the news and they did a story about staten island...i didnt realize how hard they got hit :shocked:
PLEASE tell me someone has heard from dave? :dunno:

I was thinking the same thing watching SI coverage. Anyone??

#582 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thuggie, that's fantastic! <3

#583 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

:clap: for J&J

SG, Feck is posting this morning

#584 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

:clap: for J&J

SG, Feck is posting this morning

Saw that thread right after posting here. Thanks!

#585 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

an aerial satellite image from this afternoon shows that the house is still standing, and a close family friend confirmed that with their own photos. no mistaking this...their home still stands

wow, that has to feel better, glad to read this.

#586 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,392 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

i can't tell you how this news has lifted our spirits. the house may need to be rebuilt due to storm damage, but our family built it once and we can build it again. what's inside is what matters, and there is hope. it could be 6 months or more before my inlaws can return to their home, but they are comfortable here with us for the time being so all is well.

and the Crab's Claw survived too :dance:

:lol:

#587 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,430 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

That is so awesome!! I am so happy for you guys and Brother Jason's family!!! :bliss:

Much love to you all during the regrouping and rebuilding!! :heart:

#588 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

So glad for some positive news for your family. All my love. :heart:

#589 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

such good news, j&j <3 my heart goes out to all of you...
i'm heading north to get my Dad and his dog - Dad has Alzheimers and his routine has been completely uprooted by the lack of power and with a new storm possibly coming, i have to get him here and in a comfy place... some of his neighbors found him wandering around the other night and brought him back to his home. my niece is bringing him part way, staying in a hotel in Pa for a couple of days with him so she can get a hot shower, hot meals and spend some time with her g'pa. when i get my Dad back (who knows when) i'll be staying up in NJ for a time - want to help in any way that i can. so that being said, anyboardie who needs anything at all i will try my best to help. gathering clothes, blankets, pet food etc...to load up when i make it back.
stay warm, love and hope to you wonderful folks, hug your loved ones tight!

#590 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,757 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

whewwwww, that is awesome news J&J and family!! :heart: :heart:

#591 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,182 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

that is awesome news Jennie :heart: :ura1:

#592 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,877 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

such good news, j&j <3 my heart goes out to all of you...
i'm heading north to get my Dad and his dog - Dad has Alzheimers and his routine has been completely uprooted by the lack of power and with a new storm possibly coming, i have to get him here and in a comfy place... some of his neighbors found him wandering around the other night and brought him back to his home. my niece is bringing him part way, staying in a hotel in Pa for a couple of days with him so she can get a hot shower, hot meals and spend some time with her g'pa. when i get my Dad back (who knows when) i'll be staying up in NJ for a time - want to help in any way that i can. so that being said, anyboardie who needs anything at all i will try my best to help. gathering clothes, blankets, pet food etc...to load up when i make it back.
stay warm, love and hope to you wonderful folks, hug your loved ones tight!

glad he is ok...you are a good daughter :heart:

#593 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,906 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

running out of diesel fuel for generators and still no working gas stations... heading up to Kingston at 4am to pickup fuel.... hoping to get us through the next week with no power or water.

#594 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

running out of diesel fuel for generators and still no working gas stations... heading up to Kingston at 4am to pickup fuel.... hoping to get us through the next week with no power or water.

hang tight brother!!! good luck. as the weekend starts to roll on the gas shortage should come to an end. they are letting tankers into ports and waiving some tax and trade fees to speed up the process and give more incentive to get some gas in this general area.

#595 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,182 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

I don't know where Kingston is but if you are still on the island, CITGO in Babylon on Sunrise Hwy (west) has diesel pumping...no gas but diesel.

#596 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,357 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

hang tight brother!!! good luck. as the weekend starts to roll on the gas shortage should come to an end. they are letting tankers into ports and waiving some tax and trade fees to speed up the process and give more incentive to get some gas in this general area.

Good news. Hoping they can get some to LI soon. I'm thinking of getting up with the birds tomorrow to get in line just in case. Biggest problem here is stations with plenty of gas have no power to pump, and stations with power are getting slammed and running out at record speeds.

#597 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,906 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Good news. Hoping they can get some to LI soon. I'm thinking of getting up with the birds tomorrow to get in line just in case. Biggest problem here is stations with plenty of gas have no power to pump, and stations with power are getting slammed and running out at record speeds.

ya basically you're looking north of stamford / greenwich in ct or north of new paltz in ny. not sure about west of the catskills.... i know newburgh is reporting no gas. if you can make it that far it's what i'd recommend. black garbage bags to hide the red cans in and plenty of ammo... just in case. :no:

#598 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

:heart: J and J.

#599 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

For those in the lower Hudson Valley, the Appalachian Market is out of gasoline, but has plenty of diesel fuel available.

https://www.facebook...169566893059960

#600 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

wow this thread really took a turn for the best! woohoo!

congratulations... or something...