Tropical Storm Sandy

• Please log in to reply
659 replies to this topic

#501 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Just heard from Matt (Gram-Man) he's back home, has power. All good.

:thup:

#502 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Great. Car accident right up the corner from us. Scared the crap outta me... I thought another transformer blew.

No one hurt but I'm wondering which of the idiots involved ran the stop sign. And also which part of "please stay off the roads" they didn't understand. The cops have better things to do today.

#503 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Great. Car accident right up the corner from us. Scared the crap outta me... I thought another transformer blew.

No one hurt but I'm wondering which of the idiots involved ran the stop sign. And also which part of "please stay off the roads" they didn't understand. The cops have better things to do today.

Morans.

#504 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,743 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Anyone know what's going on in Rockland?

#505 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Just got off the phone with Roo. He was the first area to lose power yesterday in Riverhead, still without it. Biggest complaint is he's beyond pissed that he put the "good" burgers on the grill and ran out of propane, chucked them across the lawn. "Some raccoon was fuckin happy!".

Got cut off due to poor service, but he is good and property is ok. :)

#506 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Anyone know what's going on in Rockland?

http://apps.coned.co...ru/default.html

#507 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

we're at home and just got power back a little while ago. we're fine. Lucy the dog's home is still under water so she's spending a little more time with us until her people can come home.

we got REALLY lucky. as it turns out, our home sits at the highest point in our neighborhood. at high tide last night the water climbed 3/4 of the way up our back slope (for those who haven't seen it...it's an 8-10 foot drop to the lagoon from the back of the house) before it receded. many, many homes in the cove were destroyed, any boats that were left moored at dock were relocated to improbable places. many docks were ripped out, and there is debris everywhere you look. but those who needed to evacuate did and cleanup has begun wherever possible.

we've heard a lot about the destruction in Lavallette (same island as Seaside Park/Heights) but have no access to know whether Jason's parents' house still stands. they are safe and sound at his sister's home though, and the next time they have access to a phone we'll invite them all to come here since we now have power and they're still waiting. there are so many stories like theirs...people who evacuated and now have no way of knowing what awaits them, or when they'll be able to return to assess the damage.

cellular service is spotty all over. if you've yet to hear from a loved one, our thoughts are with you. :heart:

#508 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

:heart:

Thanks for the update darlin'. Thinking of you all.

#509 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

Having trouble finding out when OEM or FEMA is going to show up in these devastated areas.... Friends and family in Rockaway are desparate for information and I am coming up empty :( Keep getting text 'please help us find out what is happening' but I can't seem to find any information! :gah:

#510 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Karen, this is the NYC.gov site: http://www.nyc.gov/html/index.html

Check the scroller on the right (NYC Right Now), there's contact info for requesting assistance from FEMA. Don't know if they'll be able to give you info, but maybe you can help get the ball rolling re: requests for assistance

#511 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

Thanks hon. Not much info there, at least the stuff I am looking for. Trying to find out when LIPA is estimating power restoration but no news yet...
Judging by the amount of power lines down in the ROck, it'll be quite a while before they fix it.

#512 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,743 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Talked with my parents...power's out in most of Rockland. No electricity, no hot water. Trees took out houses around them...our house was spared. Their marina..which is like their fucking social club (:lol:) has major damage...

Does anyone know how Chinatown fared? :undecided:

#513 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Thanks hon. Not much info there, at least the stuff I am looking for. Trying to find out when LIPA is estimating power restoration but no news yet...
Judging by the amount of power lines down in the ROck, it'll be quite a while before they fix it.

Are they LIPA or Con Ed?

LIPA storm center: http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/

ConEd: http://www.coned.com/

Might be some timetable info. I've heard estimates of 7-10 days for either utility.

If I hear any new info, I'll let you know.

#514 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

Does anyone know how Chinatown fared? :undecided:

Probably about as well as the rest of lower Manhattan. :sad:

#515 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

Are they LIPA or Con Ed?

LIPA storm center: http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/

ConEd: http://www.coned.com/

Might be some timetable info. I've heard estimates of 7-10 days for either utility.

If I hear any new info, I'll let you know.

Thanks! I've been checking LIPA and the whole peninsula is still 'unassigned' so no estimates there.... I am guessing 7-10 days at least. Coned is saying that Brooklyn and Manhattan will be restored in 5 days.

My sis needs to just get the hell out of there, and she knows it. She is just trying to come up with a plan right now. I want to drive out there and give her my car as they lost theirs... :(

#516 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,743 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

:(

Now that I know my people are ok...my mind is turning to places.

#517 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,022 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

PSNH - the local electric supply company can eat a dick. Wasn't even that bad here. Barely any trees down to speak of and just like every other time a few people make a fart in the same direction, we're out of power for a couple days and are offered no updates from them. fuckers :joker:

#518 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,447 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Talked to a buddy who lives on 46th and 2nd...he said there is no power at all soouth of 42nd, so all the restaurants and stores around him are being slammed by the people comjng north. He said the wind was easily 80mph at times, and the east river came up to 1st avenue, unheard of levels. He says people are gonna start freaking out soon with no subways or power down there.

#519 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

(((Patience))) :heart:

Trust me, I know in times like these it isn't the first inclination.

#520 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Posted Image

#521 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

#522 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

I like how all the lights are still on. :lol:

#523 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, the devil's in the details.

:rolling:

#524 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,664 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

hope everyone weathered this out safely...limited internet service and spotty phone service...yay everything at work is up and running.

will try and read through everyone's posts but I've got 3 days worth of work to do today!

so far it seems y'all are OK...keep it that way :heart:

#525 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Power back on late last night.
Not sure why it went out? New Hampsire sucks.

Cant complain though just out some cash for what i had to throw out in the refrigerator.

I have not had time to read this whole thread or really check the boards heading out to work 11-11 tonight.

I hope everyone is okay :heart:
I know some folks must have been really screwed by this storm.

#526 WindDancer

WindDancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 377 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Pretty devistating video of Mesquamickut State Beach and the businesses that line the waterfront in Westerly, RI:

www.vimeo.com/m/52513169

We are okay up in nothern RI. Nowhere near the damage I've heard about. My heart goes out to all those in the community dealing with loss and hardship right now. If you guys need anything at all, just let us know!

#527 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Glad to hear peeps are ok (Sarah B check in?)
The pix of what used to be the shore are devastating. LI. Man, you guys have all had enough.
North jersey is a mess from the wind meet trees meet power lines deal. Lots of rearranged landscape in NJ now.
We've got no power but sustained no damage so the elder's are good. Now I have to find away to feed my little generator monster that is keeping the frig and a couple things going. I waited in a 30 car car line this morning to fill the small cans I have.

I'm sorry electricity. Please come back.

#528 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,083 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

i am afraid my ((((boston blondes)))) abodes didnt fare well
terra lost the roof off her apt and tatums was damaged and flooded
prayers for them both, please? :heart:
they are safe but its a lot to deal with right now...i cant imagine :sad:

#529 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

:heart: to all affected.

#530 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,664 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

macdonalds, taco bell, kfc and Dunkin Donuts are all up and running...plus I'm right close to my bro with a generator and plenty of food.

thank goodness I won't be the one drinking their own urine and making defication sandwiches :D

#531 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

macdonalds, taco bell, kfc and Dunkin Donuts are all up and running...

thank goodness I won't be the one drinking their own urine and making defication sandwiches :D

Those of us with sticks up our asses about food might say that you will be. :funny1:

#532 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

:nikkiblue:

#533 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

But we would still be glad yer findin' sustenance. :)

#534 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

macdonalds, taco bell, kfc and Dunkin Donuts are all up and running...plus I'm right close to my bro with a generator and plenty of food.

Where can I get these deification sandwiches? They sound heavenly.

#535 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,605 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

macdonalds, taco bell, kfc and Dunkin Donuts

Pay attention! :angry:

#536 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Jason is traveling north to deliver ice to his sister who is without power. his parents got word that the rescue effort is still very much ongoing in Seaside/Ortley/Lavallette and it may be weeks before they are allowed access to assess the damage to their home. we don't expect much to be salvageable when all is said and done. they are devastated to lose the home built by J's uncle for them 40+ years ago, but we are all more concerned for family and friends who chose not to evacuate and are now in need of rescue.

needless to say, without a home to go to, his parents are coming to stay with us for a while.

Lucy the puggle's family is on their way with a general contractor to assess the flood damage to their house. i'm pretty sure the water has receded from that end of our street, so cleanup can begin as long as they can safely enter. she might be with us for a while, we'll see. fingers crossed that it's a relatively simple process.

sending love and light out to all who need it today :heart: we discovered a very small amount of damage to our place (water damage in one room, a door that was ripped away in the storm and needs to be replaced, and our dock will need repairs before it's utilized again) but overall we were very, very lucky and we are here to assist anyone we can, in any way we can.

heading over to help an elderly neighbor now, but i'll check in periodically. if anyone needs anything we can provide, please don't hesitate to ask.

#537 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,506 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Sorry for the damage and loss to your place, and Jason's parents' place.

If you guys need anything, please don't hesitate to ask! :heart:

#538 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,108 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Sorry for the damage and loss to your place, and Jason's parents' place.

If you guys need anything, please don't hesitate to ask! :heart:

This.

#539 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Seaside Park (Beepo) http://photos.newhav...aerial-tour/#12

#540 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Walnut Beach, Milford http://photos.newhav...aerial-tour/#24

#541 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,777 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Oh, hai. I'm getting a new car. Love you. See you when there's more service. I hope everyone's doing well.

#542 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,743 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Oh, hai. I'm getting a new car. Love you. See you when there's more service. I hope everyone's doing well.

She was hiding out on the Price is Right! I knew it!!!ยก

#543 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

a family friend flew over the McEwan home today and confirmed what we already suspected: there is nothing to come home to.

his parents are with us now, and devastated beyond belief. 40+ years of memories in that home, on that island...all traces gone. the place we were married. Jason's elementary school. his uncle's store. their home. so many homes and businesses. everything...just...gone.

Mom did take a minute to pack up a few irreplaceable family mementos before evacuating before the storm hit Lava. they're with us for safe keeping until they can establish a new home, somewhere. they hope to rebuild, but we don't know yet if that will even be possible.

lots of sadness today as reality sets in, followed immediately by deep gratitude that they are safe and sound and here, not there.

so many of our friends are now homeless. it's hard to take it all in at the moment, really. unfathomable.

#544 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,664 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Those of us with sticks up our asses about food might say that you will be. :funny1:

:funny1:

well I won't be the guy prepping it...just eating it

#545 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,664 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

well...some folks round these parts call 'em vegan burgers :cowboy:

:eek1:

#546 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,859 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

a family friend flew over the McEwan home today and confirmed what we already suspected: there is nothing to come home to.

his parents are with us now, and devastated beyond belief. 40+ years of memories in that home, on that island...all traces gone. the place we were married. Jason's elementary school. his uncle's store. their home. so many homes and businesses. everything...just...gone.

Mom did take a minute to pack up a few irreplaceable family mementos before evacuating before the storm hit Lava. they're with us for safe keeping until they can establish a new home, somewhere. they hope to rebuild, but we don't know yet if that will even be possible.

lots of sadness today as reality sets in, followed immediately by deep gratitude that they are safe and sound and here, not there.

so many of our friends are now homeless. it's hard to take it all in at the moment, really. unfathomable.

Oh honey. There are no words.... My heart goes out to your family.

:heart:

#547 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have fond memories of Lavalette... many wonderful family vacations there when I was a kid.

Sending love to Jason's family. So glad they are safe but can't imagine the heartache they must feel. :heart:

#548 Mutant

Mutant
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Much love to all effected by the storm as they begin to pick up the pieces. :heart:

#549 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

My love to you, J, his parents and your friends. This post made me cry, that has not happened thus far, it takes a lot. Anything you need, all you have to do is ask. I love you both, always.

#550 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

so very sorry, J & J and family, Tatum and Andrew, and everyone so adversely affected. :heart: