220 replies to this topic

#201 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,085 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

the randoms here and there keep you solidly a "smoker".  Knock it off...

<3

i was gonna post that too...from experience!

less is definitely better but you arent there yet...SO CLOSE!

i KNOW you can do it :wink:

i KNOW its hard to fight off even those random urges when "it wont hurt if i only have one" makes all the sense in the world

its a slippery slope from there!

i quit for almost a decade and started again after one of those rationalizations

just telling you my POV, buddy...

just take it that last step! :smile:

#202 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,491 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

I can't imagine quitting something that actually gets you fucked up.  This has been challenging enough :heart:  Though I've discovered lately I seem to be over the need to get drunk when I go out.  I used to have a big problem with this.  I just don't care anymore.  lolold 

#203 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,085 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

<< was talking about cigs not :pimp:

#204 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,491 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

<< was talking about cigs not :gregoir:

I know I was just talking about substances in general.  It amazes me people that have substance problem that are able to quit. a lot of those things make you feel good while killing you.  smoking doesn't even do that.  

#205 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

the mystery has you. you need to not deny your brain oxygen in order to think clearly...

#206 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

aim for three years, if you can quit for three years you'll have it licked!
:rockon:

I quit for more than 20 years.   Then I had a roommate that was a part time smoker.  

I said "you can smoke part time?"

"I didn't know that,  Maybe I'll try."

In 2 days I was up to a pack to a pack and a half a day.  After 6 months of that, I finally quit, again.

#207 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

I know I was just talking about substances in general.  It amazes me people that have substance problem that are able to quit. a lot of those things make you feel good while killing you.  smoking doesn't even do that.  

I smoked cigaretts for 18 years....quit right after jerry died,and haven't had one since...so hang in there buddy....ps I cheated though cause I smoke cigars,(and other things)working on eliminating them next.(cigars that is.......)

#208 territoryranger

territoryranger
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

#209 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,835 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Ciggs are the worst thing for ya, hands down. Too many family members lost way to young from those. Been about 14 years since I smoked. And saving $10 a pack isn't so bad either.

#210 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

My how far this thread has come.  Good going.

It took me maybe a year before I got past all urges. (15 years now) What followed was more of a subliminal suggestion like, "I sure miss blowing smoke rings", or "You never caught colds when you smoked."

They never had the strength to equal the message I had developed over that first year that I REALLY don't want to smoke any more. (Long term undiagnosed pneumonia had worked some good magic also).

Mary is joining this quest and is almost 4 weeks.  About the time the physical stuff is well behind her, but the mental stuff is just getting cranked up.

We're trying to hike a lot this summer.

Keep rocking it Greg and everyone else trying to kick it.  Remember that any "urge" is just your mind f'ing with you and is all bull$h!t  (Used to piss me off that those little fu*%er$ had gotten into my mind so deeply as to cause me to lie to myself, but that is the nature of addiction)

#211 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

my suggestion to aim at three years was based on the effect three years without smoking will have on your health, sense of smell, taste..

I quit 25 years ago and I am glad I did. Fact is now I hate smoke and actively avoid it whenever possible...

You think smokers will EVER have the courtesy to stand downwind of (me) (entrances to buildings) (etc.)???????

#212 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I fully quit when I was 25.  I crushed up the half pack I had in my pocket and chucked them in the trash at a gas station I had stopped in to....buy another pack.  Its been almost 10 years now, and in my experience, once I made it 5 months without cigs, it was easier to just never have them again.  They dont get you high, as you already said, so what REALLY is the motivation?  They really dont taste good (that is truth, and once nicotine leaves your system, you will see this for yourself), they are very expensive, and they make you smell completely disgusting.  

RIght before I finally quit, my doctor asked me at a checkup if I smoked.  I said yes, then he closed the door and asked "no, do you smoke (and made the universal joint to lips sign).  I said yes again, and he said "PICK ONE".  He said to quit one of those habits....one does do something for you, the other just kills you.  So pick one, and you'll be much healthier for it.  I chose to bag the cancer sticks.   Seen in that light, it was amazingly easy to never go back to that evil.

#213 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,914 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

now to lose the 30lbs I put on in the 4 months since I quit :lol:

#214 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,348 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

<3  Way to go guys... 

#215 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I knew I was going to make it when I hung out at Kara's (deadhead) bar in Albany (any one remember that place?)...knowing only the owners a bit, I chatted and drank with lots of folks (met a shepherd that night, no $h!t) and never wanted a smoke.  Of course I had to do something with my hands, so I drank a lot more than usual, but that was ok. I think I was less hung over than when I drank moderately and smoked a lot. I think the lack of oxygen accelerates the hangover.

#216 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

SD-LOG-DPR2PK-400.jpg

7 months today.

#217 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:26 AM

Hey lolwingman!  Lets pick a date and stick to it.  We'll need to negotiate said date, of course.  Come on!  We can bitch and complain!  We'll be awesome at this!  We could even place a wager.  One. Million. Dollars. Muahahahaha  :D

Seriously, let's do this shit!  

#218 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

Hell, we could start a thread!  :thup:  :lol:

#219 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,491 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hey lolwingman!  Lets pick a date and stick to it.  We'll need to negotiate said date, of course.  Come on!  We can bitch and complain!  We'll be awesome at this!  We could even place a wager.  One. Million. Dollars. Muahahahaha   :D

Seriously, let's do this shit!  

I'm game I got to get back on this shit after smoking this summer.  :)

#220 token

token
  • VibeTribe
  • 486 posts
  • LocationAlbanyyyyyyy

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

Gregoirs lulz thread

#221 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,491 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

It went pretty well till full on derailment. Now I have beat Krisnyg's ass inspiration :pimp: