sick kitteh

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

My Sage is sick :( She is 17 and up until today, unbelievably healthy with a voracious appetite.

Today she wouln't eat which is highly unusual. Vomiting up clear froth and won't go near food. I finally got her to take some water which she kept down. At 3pm she took a teaspoon of milk (lapped it right up) but then she vomited it back up a few minutes later.

Went to the vet at 5pm. He thinks it's maybe her liver or her kidneys. He gave her some shots: a b-12, an anti-inflammatory, an anti-biotic and took some blood. We'll get the results tomorrow. He's a great vet and uses mostly herbs and acupuncture to treat animals.

She is a bit less lethargic than she was earlier today so that's an improvement. She purrs when i am near her and rubs up against me and the vet said that is a very good sign that she is still doing that. She's actually curled up on the back of the couch right now (her usual perch) which is also a good sign since she spent the whole day in Sav's bed sleeping...

I'm sick with worry. This was such a sudden onset. JP is away on business too....

Get better soon my baby girl! I just love that cat so much I cannot even put it into words :heart:

I need to stop crying about this already. Geez, I'm a mess :(

#2 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

Just boiled some chicken and chopped it up....she ate about 1/2 teaspoon of it. Then she wobbled off and laid down...
She's so quiet. :(

#3 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{Sage and Karen}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

#4 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:13 AM

Thanks Ryan :heart:

So far she has kept that little bit of chicken down and is sleeping :)

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

Love, Light, Strength & Inner Peace to you Karen and your Sage kitty. :heart:

Furry babies create special bonds in our hearts, that go far beyond words.

Do you have any Sage kitty stories to share with us?

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

Thanks TEO :heart:

She is such a chatty girl and very social. Every day, I get my tea and head to my office (other side of the house).
So I say, okay Sage, let's go to work and she trots behind me, we go to the office and she jumps up on the desk and settles down in her kitty bed on my desk. :heart:

She is SO chatty too! Always getting up, walking around the desk, meowing her little head off and looking at me until I respond. She likes to chat :) Her new thing is sleeping in a shoe box. We got new shoes for JP a few weeks ago and I knew she wanted the box. She's been sleeping in it every night for a month :funny1: So sweet....

Thanks for the support. I am reminding myself to think positive as that is the best thing for her. I just wuzzled her and she put her paw on my cheek and looked at me as if to say 'hi mom, thanks for taking care of me' :heart:

#7 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:57 AM

:heart:

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:58 AM

Awww...

Seems Sage kitty knows Workzilla has to be reminded to take intermittent breaks. :heart:

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

She is SO chatty too! Always getting up, walking around the desk, meowing her little head off and looking at me until I respond. She likes to chat :) Her new thing is sleeping in a shoe box. We got new shoes for JP a few weeks ago and I knew she wanted the box. She's been sleeping in it every night for a month :funny1: So sweet....

Thanks for the support. I am reminding myself to think positive as that is the best thing for her. I just wuzzled her and she put her paw on my cheek and looked at me as if to say 'hi mom, thanks for taking care of me' :heart:

Anyone who says cats cant communicate doesnt know cats :)

Natalie has been wanting to sit by/on me a lot lately and she has a way of letting me know when it's time.

#10 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:05 AM

Natalie says "Meowy Christmas"

Posted Image

Karen, do you have pics you can share of Sage?

#11 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:09 AM

Nat sometimes likes to watch tv.

Posted Image

#12 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Here she is. She loves to lay on my pajamas :heart:

Posted Image

#13 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

This one is too cute! She looks like she is going to fall off this thing...

Posted Image

#14 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

So she is doing better today! She ate some boiled chicken again this morning. While she does not have her usual voracious appetite, she is slowly eating and drinking and that's good. So far NO vomiting since she got the injections at the vet yesterday :clapping:

Thanks for the love and support yesterday. I really needed it :heart:

#15 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Aww she is a pretty kitty. :heart:

#16 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

#17 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

i'm so glad she's doing better today! she is a beautiful girl :) :heart:

#18 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,212 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

:heart:kitty:heart:

#19 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Well her bloodwork came back...
She has bile duct congestion (gall bladder), liver congestion and a kidney deficiency :cry:

I'm meeting with the vet at 9:30am tomorrow to discuss a course of treatment. He integrates traditional pet medicine with acupuncture, herbs and other holistic remedies. He is so amazing and kind and I know will treat her wisely....

She is so quiet again today. She did however spend quite a bit of time on my lap while I massaged her. That seems to really give her comfort :heart:

#20 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

She is so beautiful. :heart:

Love, healing & comfort

#22 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

She is a beautiful girl! I just love, love, love, LOVE her!

Keep on drinking water Sage! We are going to get you well...

#23 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

I just read this! Karen, so sorry that your lovely furbaby is sick!:undecided: I am sending her healing vibes and you some comforting, soothing vibes. Sounds like the vet is fabulous. Please keep us posted. Much love out to you BOTH. {{{{{{{{Karen & Sage}}}}}}}}}:heart:

#24 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:15 AM

Thanks Donna! The vet is wonderful. He actually won 'Most Gentle Vet' Award in 2010 :heart:

We're hanging in there. I'm worried sick but am going to stay positive and see what the vet has planned for her treatment.

How is Zoey?

#25 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:19 AM

:heart: (((Sage)))

#26 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

:heart: (((Sage)))

Thanks Sean :heart: I love that you also have a Delia like we do!

#27 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

((Sage)) :heart: Hang in there, sweeties. :heart:

#28 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Sage woke me up meowing this morning! The good kind of meowing...where she walks all over the bed and then stands on my chest meowing to wake me up :heart: THEN she ate some wet cat food which is a good. She had not eaten anything but tiny bits of boiled chicken for 2 days so I was pleased to see a little appetite coming back. Then, it appears she's up to her old tricks because she waited for Delia to finish eating (Delia never actuallly eats it all) and then finished Delia's portion for her ;) I used to get annoyed when she did that but today I said 'good girl!' :lol:

Looks like she may have a good day today! (((Sage aka ShooshiePants)))

#29 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

:jump:

#30 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

I met with the vet today to discuss a treatment plan for her. Basically, due to age, her liver, kidneys and gall bladder are just not functioning at 100%. And she has already developed hyperthyroidism. Because this is natural towards the end of life (cats, humans, etc) there is no 'cure' for it. The plan is to use acupuncture to spark the existing energy in her problem areas and stimulate it. She had her first injections (it's actually aquapuncture injections of B12 to put more pressure on the area) on Wednesday and I see an improvement each day. The vet says this is great because eeing continuous improvement 2-3 days after treatment means we are going in the right direction. We'll go see him again next week for more shots and continue to monitor her progress.

I have come to terms with the fact that we can't 'fix' her and JP and I agree that her treatment should be about what is best for her and not what is best for us. It's hard not to want to do everything you can to keep your cat from leaving this earth... However, it's about her comfort and not ours. She is happy and comfortable today and that is all that matters.

Thanks for all the love everyone :heart: It means so much to us :)

#31 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

However, it's about her comfort and not ours. She is happy and comfortable today and that is all that matters.

This is so true. It's so hard, but so true. :heart:

#32 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Such a pretty girl!

Posted Image

#33 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

she's beautiful. :heart: i'm sorry you're having to go through this! i'm sending much love to you and JP and kitty, sounds like a really awesome vet. :) :heart:

#34 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Nancy and Sarah!

Today is another ogod day for my sweet girl! I'm amazed at the effectiveness of this aquapuncture treatment. Continuous improvement indeed! :clapping: She's back to wanting to be with me everywhere I go and wants lots of rubbins and luvins :heart: AND she is eating and drinking. One day at a time. I am so grateful she made this comeback (I think she is too)

I feel so fortunate to have a vet who practices Chinese medicine! Honestly I don't that I would have sought that type of treatment out only because it probably would not have occured to me? I didn't even know that it was practiced on animals. Now it makes total sense though! I've already called 2 of my siblings who have older animals to tell them about it and also called my sister-in-law who is an acupuncturist in NY to tell her. She was delighted to hear about it :)

#35 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

it definitely works, my own massage therapist also does all kinds of massage, accupressure and energy work on dogs, too. :) glad kitty's doing better! :heart:

#36 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

she IS beautiful :smile:
glad to hear she's doing better :heart:

#37 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Elayne! I am amazed and thrilled at the effectiveness of the aquapuncture treatment. She went from gravely ill to back to having a voracious appetite and being super communicative and active. The vet was also pleasantly suprised at how quickly she bounced back! We are going to wait 2 weeks now for the next treatment instead of one because she's doing so good :heart:

((Sage my sweetie baby))

#38 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,030 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

:clapping: :heart:

#39 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Karen you are doing a great job taking care of Sage. Glad to hear the treatment is helping the beautiful kitteh, she is telling you so too.
:heart::heart::heart:

#40 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:32 AM

Our vet wants to use Sage's picture as their profile picture on Facebook!

#41 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

Our vet wants to use Sage's picture as their profile picture on Facebook!

That's awesome!

#42 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

she'll be famous! :D

Zevon had a webpage when he was at the shelter and named Van. :)

#43 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

:clapping:

#44 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

i would have loved to have printed it but by the time they told me about it they had taken it down, since he was already mine all mine. :)

#45 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Well we saw the vet again yesterday which was 30 days after her last treatment and he is delighted with how healthy and strong she is! Her liver, kidneys and gallbladder are doing awesome which was the original issue she had.

He's astounded at her progress and said that the clock been has turned back for this kitty for sure. Her positive response to treatment was beyond his most optimistic expectations and he said that the only way he can tell she is 17 is by looking at her eyes. Her physique and coat are that of a 10 year old cat.

:happyhappy:

((Riverside Animal Clinic and holistic methods of healing))

Thanks everyone for the support and positive vibes! Sage says 'meow-thanks-you-guys-rock-meow!'

#46 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

That is awesome!!! :heart:

#47 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

great news! I love the morning lay on chest come feed me meowing. :lol:

#48 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

yay :) :heart:

#49 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,670 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

was woken up wayyyy too early by mine and i wouldn't have it any other way. :) :heart:

i am definitely finding a holistic vet in the area, would be interested to see if they thought they could help Zevon's disease.

soooo happy for you Karen, that's just the greatest news ever. :) :heart:

#50 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Nancy, I hope you can find a holistic vet too!