• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

A Turkish drummer has had a lifelong ambition to visit America to study jazz drumming with his idols. In order to earn enough money for the venture he has joined 'Abdul Ahmed's Club Date Band,' which specializes in Turkish folk music and is much renowned in the circuit of well-paid society gigs. After saving up enough money he leaves the band and moves to New York where he takes private lessons from his favorite drummers, Steve Gadd and Elvin Jones.

After two years of hard study and penniless, he returns to Turkey, where necessity once again forces him to join the famous Abdul Ahmed. Eager to show off his recently acquired jazz licks, the drummer crams every available space in the arrangements with fills and breaks of astonishing complexity, displaying all of his breath-taking technique. After enduring an hour of deafening pyrotechnics, Abdul Ahmed approaches the drummer during the intermission and takes him to one side. "You know, I think what you are doing is very nice. Very, very nice," he says smiling patiently, "but all we need here is a simple backbeat on seven and thirteen."

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,796 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

:funny1:

#3 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Why is this funny? Can you explain the joke please?

#4 musicfan

musicfan
  • VibeTribe
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better Neil Peart coulda done it.

#5 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Why is this funny? Can you explain the joke please?

First time I saw this earlier I thought TL NR.

Not sure it is so funny per se, but I see the humor in the irony of how many drummers tend to over fill, and while it may sound jamming, it may loose the simplistic tone the song writer may have originally wanted.

A perfect example would be Stewart Copeland, a classic over drummer, playing "Every Breath You Take". He later stated he could not fill and ended up thinking about the 4 time of the song making it harder instead of easier.

Edit to add, Copeland also said it was the hardest song for him to play live. (back in the day).

#6 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

It just seems like this 'joke' is filled with specific names and stuff that maybe I'm supposed to recognize and make the joke funny, but since I don't know the names, I'm just lost. Is there some significance to the seven and thirteen not being traditionally 'simple' beat counts? Is Abdul Ahmed a real guy?

I was hoping someone could explain it a little better. I get that the joke has something to do with over-drumming.

#7 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

The key to the joke is "a simple backbeat on 7 and 13". Count it out.

#8 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

But...if the guy was such a wonder-drummer and had such skills, wouldn't a backbeat on the 7 and 13 be simple for him?

ARGH WHERE'S THE FUNNY?!?!!?

#9 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

But...if the guy was such a wonder-drummer and had such skills, wouldn't a backbeat on the 7 and 13 be simple for him?

ARGH WHERE'S THE FUNNY?!?!!?

Well, yes. Also, a simple backbeat would be on 2 and 4, so the joke plays on the odd meters of some traditional Turkish music. (See "Blue Rondo a la Turk".)

#10 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

nd;dg

#11 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Ok, we're getting somewhere. You need a background in Turkish music to find the funny maybe.

Still and all, I question the wisdom of posting this joke here. Maybe it would go over better in the Drums and Drumming board.

You want a joke? Here's a joke.

A man walks into a bar, goes to the bar and orders a beer. He notices a grasshopper having a drink. The guy says to the grasshopper, "You know they got a drink named after you." The grasshopper says, "They have a drink named Fred?"

That's a joke.

#12 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ok, we're getting somewhere. You need a background in Turkish music to find the funny maybe.

Still and all, I question the wisdom of posting this joke here. Maybe it would go over better in the Drums and Drumming board.

A man walks into a bar, goes to the bar and orders a beer. He notices a grasshopper having a drink. The guy says to the grasshopper, "You know they got a drink named after you." The grasshopper says, "They have a drink named Fred?"

That's a joke.

:rimshot:

#13 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

what do you call a guy that likes to hang around with musicians?

:rimshot:

#14 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ken Hays?

#15 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,565 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Ken Hays?

/thread :lol:

#16 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

That's a joke.

I don't get it.

#17 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

I don't get it.

I sure as hell diddnt ask for a 12" pianist!

#18 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

I sure as hell diddnt ask for a 12" pianist!

And with these prices, you won't see many more.

#19 orion

orion
  • VibeTribe
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

A "simple back beat" in American music would be on 2 and 4.

The "7 and 13" is a joke at the relative complexity of middle-eastern patterns.

#20 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm, and a two-foot salami under the other. The bartender says, I guess you won't be needing a drink. Naked lady says...

#21 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,915 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Didn't Les Claypool joke once that practicing in 7 - 13 time is something only bands like Phish practice.

#22 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,896 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

... fuck, I forgot my pencil!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: humor