• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,990 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

My breasts seem they they are lumpy everywhere - how do you distinguish a normal lump from a potentially bad lump???

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,807 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

I haven't started doing these yet, but would also be interested to know.

#3 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,713 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

i have fibroids in my breasts, too (lumpy boobs)
the protocol there is to get a baseline feel for them and then just note any changes
a baseline mammogram wouldnt hurt, either, i dont think
at least that is what my dr did for me, especially since there is a history of breast cancer in my family
i started at 35, i think?

there is a new procedure, too, which allows them to see even smaller tumors
http://www.cancernew...Article/210.asp
probably overkill for most but valuable for those with dense boobies and family hx
will be mentioning it at my next appt :smile:

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

if you have ANY concerns, go get a mammo right away Melissa. other than that, the lumps probably change throughout your cycle and like Dee said, it's a matter of getting to know your breasts at all stages of your cycle. that said, any hard pea-like lump should be checked out no matter what/when. next time you're at your gyn's office, ask if they have the silicone boob with the hidden lumps in it. i'm sure they will. one year i had to feel the silicone boob, find the lumps AND match up what i felt, to a picture of the lumps. it was harder than you'd think but you'll be able to feel for yourself the difference between your own fibrous tissue and a lump.

#5 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

pea of any size, i should add. :)

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

a tip my physician gave me is to use the pads (not nail tips, but the sensitive flat part) of your middle and index finger together to perform the self-exam.

if you've never been instructed on how to perform one, ask your doctor. it's good to have a baseline and know what's normal for you, as others have said, so a mammogram isn't a bad idea either.