Self breast exams

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 melissaphish

• VibeTribe
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

My breasts seem they they are lumpy everywhere - how do you distinguish a normal lump from a potentially bad lump???

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

I haven't started doing these yet, but would also be interested to know.

#3 tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 10,660 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

i have fibroids in my breasts, too (lumpy boobs)
the protocol there is to get a baseline feel for them and then just note any changes
a baseline mammogram wouldnt hurt, either, i dont think
at least that is what my dr did for me, especially since there is a history of breast cancer in my family
i started at 35, i think?

there is a new procedure, too, which allows them to see even smaller tumors
probably overkill for most but valuable for those with dense boobies and family hx
will be mentioning it at my next appt :smile:

#4 nancykind

• VibeGuide
  • 16,042 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

if you have ANY concerns, go get a mammo right away Melissa. other than that, the lumps probably change throughout your cycle and like Dee said, it's a matter of getting to know your breasts at all stages of your cycle. that said, any hard pea-like lump should be checked out no matter what/when. next time you're at your gyn's office, ask if they have the silicone boob with the hidden lumps in it. i'm sure they will. one year i had to feel the silicone boob, find the lumps AND match up what i felt, to a picture of the lumps. it was harder than you'd think but you'll be able to feel for yourself the difference between your own fibrous tissue and a lump.

#5 nancykind

• VibeGuide
  • 16,042 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

pea of any size, i should add. :)

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,635 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

a tip my physician gave me is to use the pads (not nail tips, but the sensitive flat part) of your middle and index finger together to perform the self-exam.

if you've never been instructed on how to perform one, ask your doctor. it's good to have a baseline and know what's normal for you, as others have said, so a mammogram isn't a bad idea either.