56 replies to this topic

#1 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

feels sooooooo good! :bliss:

my motivation's a little drastic but it's working and my giant garbage and recycling bins are so full that anything else will have to wait until after this week's pickup. and i have a car load of stuff for the salvation army, too. yayyyy tax write offs! :jam: and i have a box full of stuff for a friend and might just get a 2nd box, yet. :thup:

i even emptied a matching 6 drawer dresser and 4 drawer night-table set. :dance: i'm kind of thinking of getting rid of them altogether because i already have a big extra dresser that either my father or my grandfather made, and really need the space in that room.

it's been at least 10 years since i've really gone through my closets, much less anything else like kitchen junk and have no regrets so far. and i'm not done yet, either! :)

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,192 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Fantastic! I had a similar experience with my recent move into a smaller place. Culling more items during the unpacking process as well.

Are you getting a roommate?

#3 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

just have a need to get rid of some STUFF. too much stuff. :)

#4 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Good for you. I try to get rid of stuff all the time.

I'm purging stuff to get ready for the baby.

It feels good to just let go.

#5 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

once or twice i've caught myself reorganizing instead of reprioritizing and had to backtrack, but overall i've done really well. as displayed by my full trunk and more than half full back seat! :funny1:

#6 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

woohoo! that's a great feeling. When Tatum came and did my closet I was forced to make some cuts. My issue is I use so much of my stuff for various things...I need a bigger home

I went through my clothes recently and made some tough calls 'if you haven't worn it in a year it's gotta go' although those rules do not apply to the costume side of my closet :funny1:

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

whewwwww. i think i'm done for this round, i can always do another donation before the end of the year if i want to. now i just need to bag the last of it up and get it in the car. :thup:

next up is piles of paperwork and receipts to be sorted. ugh.

#8 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

Way to go Nancy!

I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff in my mom's apartment and she is happy about it :)

#9 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

Did this last week before we brought Cobalt home. Cleared out & deep cleaned the spare bedroom and I felt great when I was done. Tired, sore & grimy... but great nonetheless. :)

Its amazing how much crap we accumulate.

#10 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,079 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

Inspirational, that is.

#11 manzanita stark

manzanita stark
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

#12 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Great job Nancy. Feels good.
been doing this since kids left for college.
Anyone want a 14" trampoline?

#13 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

a 14 inch tramp?? :eek: :funny1:

#14 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

i was going to see if nancykind wanted to stop by and give me her advice on the incredible accumulation of accumulated things

however even nancykind has now dragged another thread right into the gutter. no wonder they made her a vibeguide.

#15 Nuthatch

Nuthatch
  • VibeTribe
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Anyone want a 14" trampoline?

#16 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

all i have to do is look at something and ask myself if i'd rather keep it - or get money for it!! works great! :D my aflac was untaxed so i'm going to be paying big time this year, thus the push for tax deductions this year in particular. :thup:

also, my motivation originally was in thinking of my sister and father. that if i were to die, nooobody deserved to have to deal with that much crap! :lol: :blush: now i can picture them going in to a room without being completely overwhelmed. :lol:

#17 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Posted Image

#18 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Posted Image

#19 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Posted Image

#20 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,779 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

the best cure for keeping too much stuff is moving :lol:
i havent moved in over 10 years now but moving a lot in the years previous sure cured me of most of my packrat tendencies
now, once a year i do the "i havent worn this so it goes" donation sweep and not only are the tax write-offs nice, but the space is wonderful!
my biggest problem now is going through old paperwork and recycling non-sensitive stuff, shredding the stuff with info on it and keeping only what i NEED to have paper copies of

how long do people keep paper copies of paid bills?
i used to keep them for a year but have been told that its unnecessary :dunno:

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,192 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Depends if they have been used for a tax deduction or not.

#22 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,779 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Depends if they have been used for a tax deduction or not.

if i use something for my taxes, it goes in my tax return folder and thus, gets saved :wink:

how long for non-tax related items?

#23 Nuthatch

Nuthatch
  • VibeTribe
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Conquer the paper piles
What documents to keep, what you can toss—and when.
Consumer Reports Money Advisor: March 2010

There are a lot of good reasons to have a plan for keeping track of your important papers. If you're meeting with a financial adviser or an attorney, it might take you an hour to prepare instead of a week. If there's a fire, flood, or theft, you'll be able to find essential documents without delay. If something happens to you, your loved ones will be able to readily locate your health-care power of attorney, insurance policies, medical records, and outstanding bills. Even on an everyday basis, good record-keeping makes it easier to pay bills on time, find receipts, and reduce tax-time anxiety.

Unfortunately, only 40 percent of Americans think they can find a document at a moment's notice, and only 49 percent can do so with a little looking, according to a recent poll by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. And although 89 percent said they were extremely to fairly organized when it comes to their financial paperwork, nearly one-quarter had either lost or forgotten about an important financial document. Worse, 16 percent had lost money or incurred a charge because of their poor organization of paperwork.
"It's amazing how much money disorganized people lose track of, and how much they waste on late fees and interest charges," says Stephanie Denton, a professional organizer and author of "The Organized Life: Secrets of an Expert Organizer" (North Light Books, 2006). "One time I found a check for $25,000 that some clients forgot to deposit."

If you're a married woman you're more likely to think you're on top of your financial record-keeping than your spouse is. Fifty-eight percent of the women surveyed said they had a better idea of where their most important documents were than their spouses did; only 30 percent of the married men thought they had a better idea. But some of the respondents might not be as on top of things as they think—5 percent admitted they had hidden accounts from a spouse or significant other.

The most surprising discovery from the survey may be this: 16 percent of the respondents said they actually liked organizing their financial records. People who were 65 and older were the most likely to enjoy it.

Even if you dread it, getting your financial papers in order helps lower stress in your life, says Peter Walsh, author of "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" (Simon & Schuster, 2008). All you have to know is how long to keep your records and where they should be stored.

Tax season is the perfect time to start tackling the paper piles, Denton says. The act of filing (or gathering your information for a tax preparer) forces you to become reacquainted with your finances. You can divide nearly all of your financial records into four categories: papers that you need to keep for the calendar year or less; ones that can be destroyed when you no longer own the items they cover; tax records, which you should save for seven years; and papers to keep indefinitely.

Keep for a year or less

Denton suggests you begin your organizing by setting up a place you can keep your bills until you pay them. As soon as a bill comes in, for example, put it in a folder labeled "bills to pay." Then set an electronic calendar reminder for a time when you're going to sit down and pay them. Store the documents listed below in a file cabinet. You don't need to keep other bills.
If you don't pay your bills electronically, now may be a good time to set up online banking. "That way you can schedule your payments in advance, and even set up monthly bill payments for amounts that don't change, like your mortgage, so you won't be late," Denton says.
To help avoid identity theft, shred anything you plan to throw away that contains personal data. More than 50 percent of the people we surveyed said they put documents through a shredder before they trashed them. Look for a crosscut shredder rather than a strip one, which leaves long paper bands that could be reassembled.

Documents that you have no long-term need to keep include:

Bank records
Keep deposit and ATM receipts until you reconcile them with your monthly statements. File your monthly checking and savings account statements. After you do your taxes, file any statements needed to prove deductions with your tax records; the rest can be shredded.

Credit-card bills

You don't need to keep them after you've checked and paid them, unless you need a bill to support a deduction you'll be taking on your taxes, such as for a charitable donation (in which case you'll need to file the bill with your current-year tax records). If an item you've charged is under warranty, keep the bill until the warranty expires. Staple the credit-card bill to the warranty document and put it in a file with other warranties; you may need the bill as proof of purchase if the item needs repair.

Current-year tax records

Keeping your records organized can save you headaches and money at tax time. Tax preparers might charge more if you give them a disorganized shoe box full of papers. Place documents you'll need for your next return in a file. If you need to save a lot of receipts and bills, use a standing accordion file.

Insurance policies

Keep policies that you renew each year, such as those for your home, apartment, or car, until you get new policies, then shred the old ones.

Investment statements

You can shred your monthly and quarterly statements from brokerage, 401(k), IRA, Keogh, and other investment accounts as new ones arrive. But hold on to annual statements until you sell the investments. You may want to have separate folders for traditional and Roth accounts to help you keep track of amounts that are deductible and non­deductible for tax purposes. Better yet, sign up for electronic statements if your financial institutions offer them.

Pay stubs

Keep the calendar year's records until you reconcile them with your annual W-2 form, then shred them.

Receipts

If you're not doing anything with your receipts—like tracking your spending, itemizing tax deductions, or using them to return purchases—you can get rid of most of those little scraps of paper immediately. If you need to keep them on hand so you can verify amounts against your credit-card bills or bank statements, create a folder labeled "receipts" and keep it with your bills-to-pay folder. That way you'll have your receipts handy when you pay your credit-card bills. If you think you might return something, ask the sales­person how long you have to decide, and jot down the date on your receipt.

Keep for a limited time

Documents relating to investment purchases, loans, and other items that expire or are sold can be stored in an out-of-the way file cabinet. But try to go through them once a year and toss out papers as detailed below.

Household furnishings paperwork

Keep receipts, warranties, and, while you're at it, instruction booklets for major appliances and electronics. You can get rid of a warranty when the period it covers has passed, and the rest of the material when you no longer own an item. Ditto for canceled receipts and bills for major purchases such as furniture.

Investment purchase confirmations

You'll need these to establish your cost basis and holding period when you sell the investments. If this information appears on your annual statements, you can keep those instead. Store the records in your file cabinet until you sell the investments, at which time you should move the back-up records into that year's tax-return file.

Loan documents

Keep closing documents for mortgage, vehicle, student, and other loans in a safe-deposit box. You can get rid of them after the loan is paid off.

Savings bonds

Hold these in a secure place until you cash them in. Or you can convert them to electronic form using the Treasury's SmartExchange program, at www.treasurydirect.gov.

Vehicle records

Keep purchase receipts, titles, and registration information in a safe-deposit box as long as you own the car, boat, truck, or other vehicle. Store the maintenance and repair records in your home filing cabinet.

Hold these for seven years

This category includes personal federal and state tax returns and their supporting records. You should keep them because your returns can be randomly audited up to three years after the date you filed the return. If you fail to report more than 25 percent of your gross income, the government has six years to collect the tax or start legal proceedings. You can be audited at any time if the IRS suspects you of fraud.

After seven years, you may want to keep just the tax returns if you'd like to track your income over the years. Keep tax records more than seven years old in your out-of-the-way file cabinet. Better yet, scan the returns into your computer and store them on a CD or external hard drive. Nearly half of the people in our survey said they kept both electronic and paper tax files, but only 3 percent stored their records only in electronic form.

Do not toss

These are permanent members of your financial paperwork family, which you may need to retrieve occasionally. Essential records such as birth and death certificates, marriage licenses, divorce decrees, Social Security cards, and military discharge papers should be kept in a safe-deposit box. Here are some other documents you should hold on to forever:

Defined-benefit plan documents

Keep pension-plan documents from your current and former employers. Store them in your file cabinet.

Estate-planning documents

Keep copies of wills, trusts, and powers of attorney in your safe-deposit box. You should also make sure your attorney and your executor have copies. It's also a good idea to give your primary-care physician and anyone named to make decisions on your behalf copies of your health-care proxy.

Life-insurance policies

For permanent life insurance—policies that have a cash value or investment component—keep documents and a list of the companies that issued them and their phone numbers in your safe-deposit box. If you have a term life policy, hold the documents until the term is over, then toss them.

Safe-deposit box inventory

Note the location of the box and your keys, and keep a list of what you have in it. Update the list once a year or as you add or remove documents. Keep the inventory list in your out-of-the way file cabinet. You should also keep photocopies at home of any documents you have stored in the box in case you need to refer to them.

#24 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,779 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

thats AWESOME! thanks! :clapping:
will print that out (more paperwork to keep :lol: )

#25 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

You maybe want to sell us your dresser and nighttables? :D

#26 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

ive been doing the same. what used to my apartment is now shared with jon, and soon to be baby too so ive been finding ways to make more space left and right. it does feel great to take a giant load of stuff to goodwill! liberating!

#27 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

well if no one wants a 14" trampoline, I'm sure this 14' one won't fit in the yard either.

Love the document list! Can now convince Mary that the pay stubs from 1992 can go

#28 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Nuthatch - PERFECT!! thank you so much!!!

Diddy - sure! want pics? PM me an email addy and i can send some. it's one nightstand though, single not plural. one dresser, matching nightstand. :grin: i stained 'em myself. 25 years ago. golden oak! :funny1:

Lostsailr - good luck with that!! :D

#29 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

and Dee!! i still owe you that pin! :wink: need your address!!

#30 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

salvation army took everything except for three items, which is awesome considering i had a whole notebook page sized list and my trunk and back seat were fully packed. still have to calculate the total but yay! :) :dance:

#31 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,192 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

Awesome!

#32 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWZ624wBVA

Love the GOne with the Wind Civil War like scene of the wounded! lol

I do have a safety net (but made me crazy when kids went on with friends dispite my "1 at a time" rule. Damn kids!

#33 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

on a trampoline in cape cod when i was maybe 8 years old, i fell between the springs and scraped my entire leg up from top to bottom. freakin' HURT!!! :sad:

#34 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

oh, spring covers are included :wink:

#35 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

i could come to your house and go through your drawers for ya.....and i charge to do a thorough job....but i'm pretty sure it's deductable...

:hmmm:

#36 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

thread killer eh?

:hmmm:

#37 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

I was just going to ask about the dresser but I see Diddy has beat me to it!!

Can u email pics?? We really need extra clothing storage space. My pants are in a pile! Lol

Will PM :)

#38 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

sented. :grin:

i'll be kinda sad to see them go but not for any good reason. just 'cause i've had them so long, i guess. but if either they or the handmade but plain one has to go, my choice is obvious. :)

#39 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

I could send you photos weekly of the dressers with cats perched on top, if you'd like! So you'd know they were gettin good n loved up. :)

#40 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

:lol: awesome.

#41 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

here is Kitty in my drawer just to get the ball rolling :)

Posted Image

#42 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Purrrrrfect :D

#43 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

very freeing, getting rid of stuff you don't need anymore. excellent list nuthatch, thanks for posting that :)

#44 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

a few years ago i went through an unexpected, but ultimately cathartic purge. it truly is more freeing than you know, until you rid yourself of physical baggage and it's simply out of your life. :heart:

#45 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

well just for fun, here's the dresser and nightstand! :lol: the nightstand is the right color, the other pic is too dark. and blurry. :tongue1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

Here's one I like to call "Office Kitteh"...

Posted Image

#47 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

very nice. i can picture kitteh sitting on the dressers, too. :)

#48 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

why would i have TWO maps of the city of st louis, mo? two of washington dc, two of rochester, 2 of philly, 4 of boston!?? :lol: i :heart: maps, but that's a little ridiculous!

and those sheets that came with mail order tickets that had hotels and restaurants and directions 'n stuff? time to get rid of those too. :thup:

i have a pile of random envelopes with no cards, cards with no envelopes, 6 copies of the foot and hand reflexology charts that aren't even in color.

:gah: but i can't help but laugh.

#49 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

got through the old bills and taxes and stuff but my paper shredder overheated so now i'm waiting for it to cool down. :lol:

#50 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

Yay Nancy!