• 14,857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

:lol: :lol:

#57 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

and Julius, regarding your first point of contention: were you not aware of someecards.com before they became a popular "share" on Facebook? because they've been around for years and almost always feature a period scene (whether it be the image of a 1950s nuclear family or something from the French Renaissance period or whenever) along with a modern observation. it's the juxtaposition between the two that is supposed to make it funny, i think...but when less funny people began making their own memes in that style, it lost a lot of its charm.

No, I had no idea. Thanks for straightening me out. I still think those memes should die a horrible death though. :lol:

maybe you should step away from the computer for a bit, Jules :lol:

Sometimes I posted about love, a food for thought piece, politics, monsanto (and to call you out a bit, Jules, you responded to one of my posts quite a while back, with undefended arguments in support of gmos - and I posted numerous sites and documentaries to argue the opposite. You said you didn't want to watch them. so if you call someone out, you should watch what they've watched and have a debate about it, don't expect cliff notes - we're not here to do your research for you, baller :tongue: ).

Can't argue with needing to step away from the computer! See, I have no actual life so I require FB to validate what a brilliantly funny person I am every day. :grin:

As for the documentaries. . . "Here, go watch this 2-hour video that could easily be explained in 5 content-heavy sentences" will just never be the right answer for me.

#58 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

No, I had no idea. Thanks for straightening me out. I still think those memes should die a horrible death though. :lol:

Can't argue with needing to step away from the computer! See, I have no actual life so I require FB to validate what a brilliantly funny person I am every day. :grin:

As for the documentaries. . . "Here, go watch this 2-hour video that could easily be explained in 5 content-heavy sentences" will just never be the right answer for me.

slacker :lol:

#59 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

You are heeeeelarious!

CC can be a pushy pants with the docs... sent me the veg ones, I watched one.

Hey, CC! Want Julius's addy? Please mail docs after 10/22.

#60 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

These are all reasons I killed my facebook last month for good. It just makes everyone, including myself, seem more petty and less educated than we all really are. That and the massive waste of time I found it.

#61 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

You are heeeeelarious!

CC can be a pushy pants with the docs... sent me the veg ones, I watched one.

Hey, CC! Want Julius's addy? Please mail docs after 10/22.

trying to change the world, I is. :mrgreen:

#62 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

These are all reasons I killed my facebook last month for good. It just makes everyone, including myself, seem more petty and less educated than we all really are. That and the massive waste of time I found it.

no, it might be a good indicator of how petty and uneducated we really are :lol:

#63 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

no, it might be a good indicator of how petty and uneducated we really are :lol:

:lol: you may be on to something.

#64 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

I never get pissed off about Facebook because I pretty much don't read people's posts in the first place. If I get something in my newsfeed and it makes me feel aggravated/annoyed/anything negative I immediately hide it and it's done a pretty good job of remembering what I hate :lol:

When I repeatedly find myself hiding stuff from people, and it's usually stuff from people I barely know or don't know at all in person, I oftentimes unsubscribe from them entirely. Mostly what I do on Facebook is keep in touch with people I've actually hung out and enjoy spending time with in person. There are occasional people that I am "friends" with I might have met through someone or just met online but if I find that I am not talking to them often or getting anything out of it I'm pretty likely to unfriend. The only other thing is contacts that might be part of my network when I start doing stuff professionally within the music business and they are most likely to stay in place even if I don't get a chance to talk to them often.

It's for that reason I'll probably never have more than about 200 friends maximum, once I get beyond that I usually start deleting people. :dunno:

#65 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

LOL.. maybe you should not have 300 plus friends on there ;)

#66 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

What boils my butt is when people (me included) rant about $hyte on FB, dispite the fact that IT DOESN"T FREAKING MATTER! IT"S FREAKING VIRTUAL MASTURBATION! (and I get to get off with a lot of friends I barely know :wink: )

#67 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

Masturbation Built America ;)

#68 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

people like to sound like they are some kind of educator on facebook.... or vibes boards....... being a douce is being a douce no matter if you do enjoy a turd sandwich.

#69 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

OK, and do you realize that re-posting things from sites such as "Being Liberal" completely destroys your credibility with everyone who you are trying to convince about your point of view? I got news for you, that stuff is called "propaganda." Look it up. Nobody who doesn't already share your rigid views is going to pay any mind to it.

Wow.. somebody is cranky today! :lol:

#70 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

And guess what Karen just posted...

Posted Image

:rolling:

:dunno:

#71 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

:D

like my whitest child declaring she is "ashy" and wants lotion to keep in her bookbag? LMFAO

Your stories rock. Keep up the good work!

#72 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Throwing out degrading insults to sum up the debate...all over my newsfeed this morning and, to me, quite surprising. I wouldn't high five anyone over an insult but see the point that some are just seeking that.
I am appreciating the very few thoughtful summations.

#73 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

:dunno:

:lol: You know I'm kidding, it just cracked me up! :kiss:

#74 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

LOL.. maybe you should not have 300 plus friends on there ;)

Interesting as I went through my friend list the other day, I axed about 7 people. Even though I don't "talk" to everyone all the time they are still important to me. Between high school, town, here, the music scene currently and from back when, etc. I'm over 400... I think.

#75 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

...but when less funny people began making their own memes in that style, it lost a lot of its charm.

yes, a lot of them are not even funny, and completely repetitive.

#76 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

this. i think they just like hearing themselves talk and getting high fives from those who agree with them. then again, i feel the same way about most posts about Monsanto, vegetarianism, bacon, and a lot of other things.

:bananassad:

#77 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

:lol: You know I'm kidding, it just cracked me up! :kiss:

:lol: I was using :dunno: because I deleted that post...as if to say 'what post?' not the DHJ :dunno:

:lol:
;)

#78 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,057 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I hate foreign "friends"...they post in a different language...it's like they're special or "above" me.

#79 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

:lol: I was using :dunno: because I deleted that post...as if to say 'what post?' not the DHJ :dunno:

;)

:rolling: I missed that! :rolling:

#80 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Your stories rock. Keep up the good work!

Aidan: Mom, since I'm sick it would make me feel better if I got to watch something special
Me: Ok, what do you want to watch when it's your turn to pick?
Aidan: The Walking Dead
Me: Um, NO! Nice try though.
Aidan: Dammit.

#81 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

:lol: Yep, your posts can stay PA! :lol:

#82 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Deep breaths. . . and they're off! I'm really big on content, and really down on hyperbole. The media is bad enough as it is but facebook is really driving it home for me. I don't even care if I agree with the sentiment, which I often do, it's the presentation of it that irks me irrationally beyond belief.

My apologies to all of you who shared this one recently. . . but I'm going to use you as an example. This meme from the Grateful Dead Tour page was the perfect illustration:

Posted Image

OK, so I totally agree with the words. But what is with the mommy and daddy and child with a newspaper looking all old school like a perfect family from the 1950s. Am I missing something or is that total hyperbole? Is it funny in some way and I'm just missing the humor?

end of part 1.

.... at least it's not a picture of a fucking cat.

#83 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image

#84 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Posted Image

i am immune

#85 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image

#86 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image

"Do I HAVE to vote???"

#87 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Deep breaths. . . and they're off! I'm really big on content, and really down on hyperbole. The media is bad enough as it is but facebook is really driving it home for me. I don't even care if I agree with the sentiment, which I often do, it's the presentation of it that irks me irrationally beyond belief.

My apologies to all of you who shared this one recently. . . but I'm going to use you as an example. This meme from the Grateful Dead Tour page was the perfect illustration:

Posted Image

OK, so I totally agree with the words. But what is with the mommy and daddy and child with a newspaper looking all old school like a perfect family from the 1950s. Am I missing something or is that total hyperbole? Is it funny in some way and I'm just missing the humor?

end of part 1

Yeah, but 601....

#88 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image

#89 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,832 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Posted Image

#90 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,832 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Posted Image

#91 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

that's hot :devil:

#92 Ezekiel Tweakscrotum

Ezekiel Tweakscrotum
  • VibeTribe
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

that's hot :devil:

Quite.

#93 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

Well, I just want to say hi, and I miss all you guys. <3

#94 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

hi

#95 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Posted Image

#96 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,815 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

So apparently Aidan has been getting up early in the a.m and watching the walking dead on the sly

I confronted him, and said "Why did you stop watching this episode halfway thru? was it too scary?" (love that netflix lets me look at recently watched and it's in order and timestamped)

he said "no. the Korean guy and that girl were gonna have sex and THAT'S DISGUSTING! so I turned it off and played Sonic the Hedgehog instead"

**facepalm**

#97 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

:lmao:

#98 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,832 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

#99 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,832 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Posted Image

#100 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

So apparently Aidan has been getting up early in the a.m and watching the walking dead on the sly

I confronted him, and said "Why did you stop watching this episode halfway thru? was it too scary?" (love that netflix lets me look at recently watched and it's in order and timestamped)

he said "no. the Korean guy and that girl were gonna have sex and THAT'S DISGUSTING! so I turned it off and played Sonic the Hedgehog instead"

**facepalm**