Time for a facebook-bashing rant from hell

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Deep breaths. . . and they're off! I'm really big on content, and really down on hyperbole. The media is bad enough as it is but facebook is really driving it home for me. I don't even care if I agree with the sentiment, which I often do, it's the presentation of it that irks me irrationally beyond belief.

My apologies to all of you who shared this one recently. . . but I'm going to use you as an example. This meme from the Grateful Dead Tour page was the perfect illustration:

Posted Image

OK, so I totally agree with the words. But what is with the mommy and daddy and child with a newspaper looking all old school like a perfect family from the 1950s. Am I missing something or is that total hyperbole? Is it funny in some way and I'm just missing the humor?

end of part 1.

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,986 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, hippies to yuppies.

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,986 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Do you "get" this one?

Posted Image

#4 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Part 2: politics.

OK so I know you support Barack Obama but how about making real arguments about why instead of posting shit about how Romney has no idea how cabin pressure in an aircraft works, or many dozens of other falsehoods based on some stupid article written by some journalist out to make a name for himself by spreading fake shit around?

Does your support for Obama really make you into a complete idiot? Do you really believe this crap? Do you rag on Fox news for reporting fake spun news but then go and do the same damn thing yourself every day?

#5 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

deadhead sticker in a cadillac?

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,986 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

Oh so the point of this thread is really that people are idiots?

#7 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

OK, and do you realize that re-posting things from sites such as "Being Liberal" completely destroys your credibility with everyone who you are trying to convince about your point of view? I got news for you, that stuff is called "propaganda." Look it up. Nobody who doesn't already share your rigid views is going to pay any mind to it.

#8 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

:rolling:

#9 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Do you "get" this one?

Posted Image

3 more decimal places than most pies?

#10 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Here's a goodie from The Book of Face that I saw today. Took great restraint to let it go.

"Good luck to The President of The United States tonight in the debate. I hope we end the Romney campaign tonight. I'm sick of this selfish prick who never had to work a real job a day in his life. Started a business with his fathers considerable wealth and power. Never lived like we do. Never had to worry about which bill got paid first or if he had enough money to go to a doctor. Basicly he is the mammas boy preppy private school kid we all hated growing up. He hides behind hate and accusations but tonight we will see the real Mitt Romeny. Good luck to you too Govenor."

The person than made a separate post to draw yet more attention to the original one... "It's getting heated on my page y'all."

In other words, I feel your pain.

#11 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Miss seein' some of you folks there, but I find I don't much miss the facebook. :)

#12 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,961 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

::does not draw random picture in thread::

#13 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,819 posts

people that post political thing after political thing after political thing get the old "hide" button

#14 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Alright, now that's out of my system, I have to give major props to my friends who actually post interesting things about their kids. . . innocent and inappropriate comments they make, cool things they have learned, nice things they have done, ways they have made the parents really proud of them. I have to admit, I find that kind of thing really cool.

#15 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Alright, now that's out of my system, I have to give major props to my friends who actually post interesting things about their kids. . . innocent and inappropriate comments they make, cool things they have learned, nice things they have done, ways they have made the parents really proud of them. I have to admit, I find that kind of thing really cool.

nice save
you almost made it to politics and religion

#16 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

That said, if you're going to go into massive detail about potty training, feel free to add as much hyperbole as you want for the sake of having some hope of making it into a good story. :lol:

#17 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,819 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

:D

like my whitest child declaring she is "ashy" and wants lotion to keep in her bookbag? LMFAO

#18 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

:D

like my whitest child declaring she is "ashy" and wants lotion to keep in her bookbag? LMFAO

That one made me. :lol:

#19 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Oh, and if you're going to spend many hours per week re-posting things from other sites about how evil GMO seeds and Monsanto are, I expect that you spend at least an equal amount of time reading actual scientific content about the issue. If you can't answer the question "Why is it bad?" then maybe you should spend more time reading and less time posting.

#20 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Face Fuckbook!!!

#21 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

This one's specially for you Julius. If WAS on Stupidbook, I would be totally bombing the shit out of your feed with this. :funny1:

PLEASE KEEP THIS TRUCK MOVING
─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ▄ ▌ ▐ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▌
─ ─ ─ ▄ ▄ █ █ ▌ █ ░ ♥ ░ HONK HONK- ITS A TRUCK ░░ ♥ ░░ ░ ░ ▐
▄ ▄ ▄ ▌ ▐ █ █ ▌ █ ░ ♥ ░ FULL OF DICKS ░░░ ░ ♥ ░ ...░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ▐
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ ▌ █ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▌
▀ (@)▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ (@)(@)▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ (@)▀ ▘
TO ALL THOSE WHO LIKE Dick TRUCKS PLEASE RE POST

#22 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Oh, and if you're going to spend many hours per week re-posting things from other sites about how evil GMO seeds and Monsanto are, I expect that you spend at least an equal amount of time reading actual scientific content about the issue. If you can't answer the question "Why is it bad?" then maybe you should spend more time reading and less time posting.

So then you prolly don't miss me, prolly. :lol:

#23 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

This one brought the lulz recently. sent people into a fit of rage. was :lmao:

Bachmann: ‘We Must Ban Falafel’ in School Lunches

http://dailycurrant....school-lunches/

#24 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

So then you prolly don't miss me, prolly. :lol:

Actually, I can probably paraphrase your position on the issue quite well, using your actual points. You actually thought it out before taking a position because all your friends are doing it too. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on anything. . . just to have some clue what they're talking about.

#25 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

This one brought the lulz recently. sent people into a fit of rage. was :lmao:

Bachmann: ‘We Must Ban Falafel’ in School Lunches

http://dailycurrant....school-lunches/

:lmao:

Funny how she's SUCH a crazy bitch that it takes a moment to determine if it's actually satire.

#26 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

Sweet. Thanks! :cheesy:

#27 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

jihadi foods! :lmao:

#28 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Or how about this gem that even some of my smart friends seem to be posting:

WARNING -any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or

the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control the contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

The reasoning behind this posting: Facebook is now a publicly traded entity. Unless you state otherwise, anyone can infringe on your right to privacy once you post to this site. It is recommended that you and other members post a similar notice as this, or you may copy and paste this version. If you do not post such a statement once, then you are indirectly allowing public use of items such as your. . .

#29 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

This one's specially for you Julius. If WAS on Stupidbook, I would be totally bombing the shit out of your feed with this. :funny1:

I prefer Derek Trucks.

#30 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

And guess what Karen just posted...

Posted Image

:rolling:

#31 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

you must have missed my memo yesterday. here it is again for your consideration.

Please copy and paste this to your status if you're constantly being asked to copy and paste things to your status by friends who copy and paste things to their status. Many people won't copy and paste this, but my truly sarcastic friends will copy and paste it because they're sarcastic by nature. If you don't copy and paste this, then this means you hate bacon.

And if you hate bacon, the terrorists win.

#32 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

I dont understand the passive agressive guilt trip ones:
Example: a photo of some bald kid
Beneath it, something that goes sort of like this...
"Like if you believe she deserves love and care. Scroll if you are just an asshole", etc. etc.

What the fart? What is the point? Why the attitude?

#33 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,199 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Actually, I can probably paraphrase your position on the issue quite well, using your actual points. You actually thought it out before taking a position because all your friends are doing it too. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on anything. . . just to have some clue what they're talking about.

Thanks. :)

I try.

#34 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,107 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

OK, and do you realize that re-posting things from sites such as "Being Liberal" completely destroys your credibility with everyone who you are trying to convince about your point of view? I got news for you, that stuff is called "propaganda." Look it up. Nobody who doesn't already share your rigid views is going to pay any mind to it.

bingo

#35 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

people that post political thing after political thing after political thing get the old "hide" button

this. i think they just like hearing themselves talk and getting high fives from those who agree with them. then again, i feel the same way about most posts about Monsanto, vegetarianism, bacon, and a lot of other things.

and Julius, regarding your first point of contention: were you not aware of someecards.com before they became a popular "share" on Facebook? because they've been around for years and almost always feature a period scene (whether it be the image of a 1950s nuclear family or something from the French Renaissance period or whenever) along with a modern observation. it's the juxtaposition between the two that is supposed to make it funny, i think...but when less funny people began making their own memes in that style, it lost a lot of its charm.

#36 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,107 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

and Julius, regarding your first point of contention: were you not aware of someecards.com before they became a popular "share" on Facebook? because they've been around for years and almost always feature a period scene (whether it be the image of a 1950s nuclear family or something from the French Renaissance period or whenever) along with a modern observation. it's the juxtaposition between the two that is supposed to make it funny, i think...but when less funny people began making their own memes in that style, it lost a lot of its charm.

Posted Image

#37 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

maybe you should step away from the computer for a bit, Jules :lol:

It's nice to change up types of posts so you don't get pigeonholed but, hey, whatever people want to post...

Sometimes I posted about love, a food for thought piece, politics, monsanto (and to call you out a bit, Jules, you responded to one of my posts quite a while back, with undefended arguments in support of gmos - and I posted numerous sites and documentaries to argue the opposite. You said you didn't want to watch them. so if you call someone out, you should watch what they've watched and have a debate about it, don't expect cliff notes - we're not here to do your research for you, baller :tongue: ).

I can only speak for myself, and in doing so, hope to provide an alternative perspective about those who post about controversial issues. I'm guessing some may do it do get high fives but others do it out of genuine desire to create change. I don't know the intentions of others but when I posted it was with the hope people might think about and reconsider an issue (monsanto, being more kind, vegetarianism... ). What happened in the vegetarian thread right here on the board shows that people are influenced and make changes based on other people's posts; hence, why I'm willing to continue to potentially annoy others :)

I do think it's all about balance though. And trying, as best we can, to be accurate, articulate, and sensitive

one bothersome aspect of FB was the reposting of graphs and charts that carried information that had already been proven false- it was sometimes frustrating to see the same inaccuracies reposted dozens of times

#38 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Is china arguing that she was a voice of balance while on FB? :dunno:
:bubblechick:

#39 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#40 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Is china arguing that she was a voice of balance while on FB? :dunno:
:whistle:

definitely not :lol:

balance as in balance the types of posts your make. meaning try not to post about the same thing all the time

#41 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

(((china))) :lol:

#42 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

)))seany((( :lol:

oh and the reason i'm off there is i had no balance between time spent there and time needed to do work :lol:

#43 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

oh and the reason i'm off there is i had no balance between time spent there and time needed to do work :lol:

I think I've heard/read this before. :coffee:

#44 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

I think I've heard/read this before. :coffee:

hey, where i you finding this emoticon? i've wanted to post it but i don't see it when i hit "show all" ???

#45 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

hey, where i you finding this emoticon? i've wanted to post it but i don't see it when i hit "show all" ???

ain't tellin. :coffee:

#46 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

I'm not getting you a shower gift now.

#47 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:16 PM