• LocationNutmeg State

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

:heart:

#7 DJ Easy Wind

DJ Easy Wind
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:58 AM

Tune in midnight to 3 am est. for a rebroadcast of my tribute to Owsley "Bear" Stanley RIP www.hgrnj.org

(Beautiful Artwork, btw Beany!!)

Posted Image

#8 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

nice. :)

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,061 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

#10 Burning Heart

Burning Heart
  • VibeTribe
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

#11 DJ Easy Wind

DJ Easy Wind
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Posted Image

There will be a very special remembrance of "Bear"

~ Augustus Owsley Stanley III ~

on WBAI-FM's "Morning Dew" program.

Tune in (Late Saturday night) Sunday 3/20/11, between 1:00 - 3:00 AM (EST)

99.5 FM in NYC ~ Also streaming globally on http://www.wbai.org

There will be a Discussion with Dennis McNally about The Bear, a Live In-Studio performance by Grateful Dead Tribute band, Wigjam, and some tasty treats from our collection of rarities!!

Bear

If you miss the Live Program, you can listen later to the streaming Archival Broadcast at http://archive.wbai.org ~ Just scroll down to Morning Dew for 3/20/11

#12 upsguy

upsguy
  • VibeTribe
  • 563 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:41 AM

[B][COLOR=windowtext][FONT=Arial]Critic

#13 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,629 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

great read
thank you :rose:

#14 Tooozday

Tooozday
  • VibeTribe
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

#15 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

Found out about this guy when reading The Electric Kool-Aid @cid Test. He will be missed and I am GRATEFUL for what he has given us before he departed.

#16 Puff Doobie

Puff Doobie
  • VibeTribe
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:28 AM

Posted Image

#17 gMONEY

gMONEY
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

#18 chrispy

chrispy
  • VibeTribe
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

:heart::heart::syf

#19 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:36 AM

Now I respect and have read a lot of literature on the man, but he's purely known for making an illegal drug. Wouldn't terrapin rather not glorify the passing since Vibes is right around the corner? I mean deadheads and people in the know, know what he's all about. But IMO Vibes has been gathering a large audience of ticket buyers that enjoy the experience and enjoy all types of music Vibes bring together, its not just Deadheads anymore. If I was coming here after receiving the vibes lineup email, went to the very first "family" forum, and one of the sticky threads was dedicated to someone I didn't know, I'd look the person up, and then to find out he's known for @c!d, I'd question the integrity of the company I plan on doing business with. I understand he just passed away, but timing is everything. Threads are getting tossed for mentioning drunk driving.

just my 2 cents and observations. no disrespect to Owsley from what I've read about him he's a great man in the scene for providing a substance loved in the scene.

#20 listen2sloka

listen2sloka
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:25 AM

Now I respect and have read a lot of literature on the man, but he's purely known for making an illegal drug. Wouldn't terrapin rather not glorify the passing since Vibes is right around the corner? I mean deadheads and people in the know, know what he's all about. But IMO Vibes has been gathering a large audience of ticket buyers that enjoy the experience and enjoy all types of music Vibes bring together, its not just Deadheads anymore. If I was coming here after receiving the vibes lineup email, went to the very first "family" forum, and one of the sticky threads was dedicated to someone I didn't know, I'd look the person up, and then to find out he's known for @c!d, I'd question the integrity of the company I plan on doing business with. I understand he just passed away, but timing is everything. Threads are getting tossed for mentioning drunk driving.

just my 2 cents and observations. no disrespect to Owsley from what I've read about him he's a great man in the scene for providing a substance loved in the scene.

or... he was the original sound technician of the band that terrapin was founded due to... :dunno:

#21 OnBongos

OnBongos
  • VibeTribe
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

#22 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,675 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Nice Beany! :rose:

#23 DJ Easy Wind

DJ Easy Wind
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

Habit, you say Owsley is "purely known for making an illegal drug." Nothing could be farther from the truth. Bear was a man of exactitude, and I think he would find it necessary to correct you , that the bulk of his "manufacturing" of psychotropic substances was when it was still quite Legal. Life magazine was doing cover stories on it at the time for it's use in Psychological circles.

Beyond that, he was a real, live person on the scene who many of us knew from tour as he was quite accessible, hanging by the Greenpeace Table, selling his "wearable art" and sculptures. I knew him, spoke with with many times, was fond of him, if a bit intimidated by his intellect, and I know that myself and many people on our scene felt the same way. To show one's Love and Respect for such a friend to our scene is only reasonable.

Owsley was also well known as the Sound Engineer/Producer of the #1 selling Bluesgrass Album of all time "Old & In The Way" (A record that I think was later snatched by "O, Brother Where Art Though" Soundtrack.) This album had a massive impact, and I think it's safe to say was the crucible that started bands like Yonder Mountain String Band, SCI, Railroad Earth, and dozens of others, while giving a boost to Bluegrass Festivals all across the country.

That's to say nothing of his accomplishments in the area of Concert Sound Engineering, which while perhaps glossed over by the mainstream media, is perhaps his greatest contribution to humankind. Every person and performing artist the world over owes Bear a huge debt of gratitude for creating and enhancing the Live Concert Experience. For that alone, Bear deserves our Respect, Admiration, and Condolences to his friends and family.

For those who knew [of] him as only a one-dimensional figure, shame on them. Forums like this are one of the few places common people have to set the record straight...

#24 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

Owsley was also well known as the Sound Engineer/Producer of the #1 selling Bluesgrass Album of all time "Old & In The Way" (A record that I think was later snatched by "O, Brother Where Art Though" Soundtrack.) This album had a massive impact, and I think it's safe to say was the crucible that started bands like Yonder Mountain String Band, SCI, Railroad Earth, and dozens of others, while giving a boost to Bluegrass Festivals all across the country.

hitler was a great painter but no one knows him for that.. If you ask 100 people they will say Hey isn't that the guy who made a bunch of @cid... not oh wow wasn't he the sound engineer on a bluegrass album.. :funny1:

a spade is a spade..

edited to add: In no way am I compairing him to hitler just an example of someone famous who did other things but is known for 1 thing