Photo

things looking good for woodstock '94 site to host festival(s) as early as next year?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

http://www.recordonl.../NEWS/209200321

SAUGERTIES — The planets appear to be aligning for creation of a music festival site at the Winston Farm, the site of Woodstock '94.

The Town Board likes the idea. The family that owns the 850-acre site likes the idea. And the man with the still-developing idea, Woodstock festival impresario Michael Lang, sounds like he's eager to do a deal.

Winston Farm was the mud-spattered site of Lang's 25th anniversary festival in 1994. Nobody, including Lang, is looking to duplicate the traffic jams and legendary hassles of a Woodstock-style festival; he's got something a lot more modest — and controlled — than that.

Plans call for coordinating shows with Saugerties' existing big venue, Horse Shows in the Sun, as well as keeping traffic needs in mind.Rather than the single weekend blowout model epitomized by the Woodstock events, the idea that's won the support of Town Board members is closer to a continuing summer festival site that would draw from 15,000 to 25,000 customers at a time.

The property already has much of the infrastructural support — roads and electricity and water — that would be necessary for the festival.

Town Supervisor Kelly Myers said she and the entire Town Board were enthusiastic about the proposal.

She said she had a "really nice" meeting several weeks ago with Lang and Jeremy Schaller, whose family owns the property.

"They're talking about putting up a temporary stage next spring and presenting three concerts next summer," she said.

The next step, she said, will be to get a proposal in writing, something she expects will happen later this month.

#2 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

Yummy, more festivals!

#3 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

I bet those people want to get their paws on The Phish From Vermont.

#4 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

I was there in 94.

#5 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

I bet those people want to get their paws on The Phish From Vermont.

possible, we're talking somewhere around the capacity of spac (25k), area more than twice the size of seaside park. i'll cross my fingers for some of the phil & friends lineup from this summer.

#6 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

I was there in 94.

me too. I worked for the official food vending co. Got to hear all the music and make money. It was the end of my youth and a great time.

#7 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,926 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Vibes as their inaugural fest?!?

#8 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,437 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Yummy, more festivals!

Yeah because the market isn't completely over saturated with festivals as it is

#9 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,719 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Yeah because the market isn't completely over saturated with festivals as it is

Nateva'd

#10 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

me too. I worked for the official food vending co. Got to hear all the music and make money. It was the end of my youth and a great time.

This was my first festival ever.

I went with no tent. Slept under a tarp that neighbors put up between friends tents and theirs.

I had so much fun. So many stories.

Remember this was not a car camping festival. We parked and then got bused in, then lugged our gear to camping to behind the second stage. Good thing I did not come to prepared. (no food, tent, only change of clothes, sleeping bag, and money).

Highlights of Music.

I thought Metallica were awesome! As were NIN, but I was hanging out with a chick I just met so I missed some of this set.

Was a good night of music Saturday NIN > Metallica > Aerosmith who came on at 2am in a down pour.

Day 1 was just ok, I remember the band who played with a saw they were the first band I heard. Lots of 90's nobodies first night like Candelbox. The guest performers were Violent Femmes.

Sunday, I ended up hanging out with the very attractive girl that came with our group. She wanted to see green day and no one else did. So I went with her. We ended up watching all of W.O.M.A.D. which was african tribe bands that got better and better as the 2 hour set went on. Even having Peter Gabriel come out and play the last 2 or 3 songs.

Then came the epic Green Day performance of flinging mud, fans being thrown from the stage right near us, since we got there so early we were right up to the stage.

Best part of this day other than the music was telling the young lady I was hanging with off. She complained for most of the day about this or that. At some point I told her:

"You know how 1969 woodstock people had life changing moments or experiences? Well here is my advise, quit your bitching, no one wants to hear it"

And with that she did not talk to me ever again, since I never saw her after we got home.

We stood and watched Bob Dylan in silence, no more small talk.

Then the Chili Peppers, then an amazing closing set by Peter Gabriel.

The following day we waited around and were in no rush to leave. Thing I remember the most, was the amount of Pepsi lying around. Guess they were a sponsor. But I was not carrying it back to my car. Oh and the mess left by the hippies.

#11 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

My highlights were The Allman Brothers, Traffic, Peter Gabriel and NIN.

#12 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

I was there working for a towing company. Helped pull Aerosmith's bus out from being stuck behind the stage. At that point in my life, I had little interest in any of it as I was there to make money. I watched Blind Melon for a bit from atop the wall stage left. Then decided to walk in from back stage for a bit. Tried to get out the gate I went in and was told, "nobody comes back in this gate." Had to walk to the front gate to get out. Cypress Hill was on at that time.

#13 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

I was there working for a towing company. Helped pull Aerosmith's bus out from being stuck behind the stage. At that point in my life, I had little interest in any of it as I was there to make money. I watched Blind Melon for a bit from atop the wall stage left. Then decided to walk in from back stage for a bit. Tried to get out the gate I went in and was told, "nobody comes back in this gate." Had to walk to the front gate to get out. Cypress Hill was on at that time.

Yes, Blind Melon. The singer died not too long after this show. I remember always thinking about this when i would hear them on the radio.

My highlights were The Allman Brothers, Traffic, Peter Gabriel and NIN.

I think the Allman's were on during Green Day. Traffic too I think. oh well.

I did enjoy Crosby Stills and Nash, they rocked pretty hard. I remember, was it wavy gravy?, the MC, he said, if you guys mosh the CSN you guys are crazy. People moshed to them.

#14 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,488 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Primus was the highlight of my Woodstock 94 :D

I liked that site but it has incredible mud potential the likes of Coventry :undecided:

#15 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

I was at Woodstock '94. Went with some friends from home. Had never really been camping before. Bought a "2-man" tent and a single person air mattress, which was like a pool toy. The tent was so small that I had to sleep diagonal to fit. We camped on a hill, and when it rained, my "2-man" tent leaked, so there was an inch of water in the tent, but thanks to my pool toy, I was dry. I was smart enough to leave my stuff on it while I was out of the tent, so my stuff was dry.

We'd heard reports of droog sniffing dogs, so we came in squeaky clean. Nothing. There were no dogs, but we were made to go through metal detectors, which as far as I know did not detect ANY metal anywhere. But they had us walk though them. A row of metal detectors set up in a field. Really weird.

So we get there, and nobody's got any booze anywhere. The Jackyl guy made us all chant about it. He'd yell "Whaddaya got?!?!" and we all yelled "NO BEER NO POT!" Pretty funny. Cypress Hill passed a giant joint into the front row.

We heard a rumor that people were selling beer at one of the fences, so we went and found a group of townies with a pickup full of cases of bud light cans, selling them for $20/case though a hole in the fence. We bought a case, walked back to our spot on the main field during James' performance (amazing), and the look on people's faces as we walked through the dry crowd with a case of beer was something I will never forget. People were drooling. When we got back to our crew we were fucking HEROES.

Best experience was becoming one of the "Mud People". I was dancing to CSN on the side of the mud-people pit, wearing a Dead dye, and they grabbed me, said "YOU ARE ONE OF US!" and threw me, bodily, into the mud pit, where 15 people surrounded me and kicked mud at me. It went EVERYWHERE. In my face, in my mouth, my nose, my ears, my eyes. I was completely covered. Danced with my new friends, the mud people. When Melissa Etheridge came on, we charged the stage ("MUD PEOPLE TO THE STAGE!!!"). People got out of our way *fast*. Within 1 miunte, we were front row, and Melissa was looking at us and laughing. Took me 30 minutes at a spigot to undo the damage. The shirt was never the same.

I was 20 years old.

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I was at Woodstock '94. Went with some friends from home. Had never really been camping before. Bought a "2-man" tent and a single person air mattress, which was like a pool toy. The tent was so small that I had to sleep diagonal to fit. We camped on a hill, and when it rained, my "2-man" tent leaked, so there was an inch of water in the tent, but thanks to my pool toy, I was dry. I was smart enough to leave my stuff on it while I was out of the tent, so my stuff was dry.

We'd heard reports of droog sniffing dogs, so we came in squeaky clean. Nothing. There were no dogs, but we were made to go through metal detectors, which as far as I know did not detect ANY metal anywhere. But they had us walk though them. A row of metal detectors set up in a field. Really weird.

So we get there, and nobody's got any booze anywhere. The Jackyl guy made us all chant about it. He'd yell "Whaddaya got?!?!" and we all yelled "NO BEER NO POT!" Pretty funny. Cypress Hill passed a giant joint into the front row.

We heard a rumor that people were selling beer at one of the fences, so we went and found a group of townies with a pickup full of cases of bud light cans, selling them for $20/case though a hole in the fence. We bought a case, walked back to our spot on the main field during James' performance (amazing), and the look on people's faces as we walked through the dry crowd with a case of beer was something I will never forget. People were drooling. When we got back to our crew we were fucking HEROES.

Best experience was becoming one of the "Mud People". I was dancing to CSN on the side of the mud-people pit, wearing a Dead dye, and they grabbed me, said "YOU ARE ONE OF US!" and threw me, bodily, into the mud pit, where 15 people surrounded me and kicked mud at me. It went EVERYWHERE. In my face, in my mouth, my nose, my ears, my eyes. I was completely covered. Danced with my new friends, the mud people. When Melissa Etheridge came on, we charged the stage ("MUD PEOPLE TO THE STAGE!!!"). People got out of our way *fast*. Within 1 miunte, we were front row, and Melissa was looking at us and laughing. Took me 30 minutes at a spigot to undo the damage. The shirt was never the same.

I was 20 years old.

Ah yes, I was a mud person. I ended up a mud person that first day. in a very similar fashion. Although when they ran to the stage I ran also. My friend who I left standing on the edge of the mud said he saw me on the big screen rushing the stage because every one was covered in mud and I was not, yet. People first used my shirt to wipe themselves. This was also the first and only time I crowd surfed.

When candelstick came on, I left the mud and went and bought a shirt. A bob dylan shirt, that for years after I got, "nice shirt" from random people at shows.

I went back in the mud day two, but left during NIN to clean up. I hung at the water spout near the sound board taking turns cleaning people with my very attractive and previously mentioned new friend.

Yes, I do remember it being a pretty dry festival, but we had my own party supplies that kept me happy for hours at a time, if you catch my subtleties.

#17 FYC (Find Your Cloud)

FYC (Find Your Cloud)
  • VibeTribe
  • 747 posts
  • LocationIn the clouds

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

I just wanted to say thanks for the stories guys. I really enjoyed reading them. Thanks for sharing. :)

#18 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

*tips hat*

#19 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Either on the board on in person, b.diddy has always been a great story-teller. Miss you bro, it's been too long.

#20 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Seriouslah. Going to Jazz Fest was amazing, but we haven't really been able to make it out to much this summer. Hope to see you at some point this Fall, Ryan!

#21 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

My whole woodstock 94 experience was fantastic. My sister and brother scored tickets in exchange for working in this dude's booth set up outside the venue. People laughed at the dude cuz he was selling wool sweaters at a summer festival, but he cleaned up when temps dropped down to the 30's overnight. He sold outta sweaters that weekend!!!

I dropped the balls on signing up to work for a ticket. I decided to go anyway and take my chances. We also heard tales of ticket checks at toll booths and police dogs and whatnot. We ended up being parked in the Black Lot about 10 miles away from the site. That was the first lucky thing that happened. Some folks were parked and shuttled in from near Albany. We later found out that the "black lot" was a last minute created lot that was on no map or diagram. Cops were stationed at the entrance of the lot and we were told we must wait for a shuttle......but no shuttle came. Again and again we tried to get past the cops but each time our escape was usurped. Each time we went to storm the gate, our group got larger and larger. Finally we went again, ready to hive those cops hell only to find that they had abandoned their post. It was dark and late and off we went, carrying/dragging all our stuff. We got about 3 miles, at least 10 shuttles pasted us when we came across a cop on the side if the road. We asked him how far we had to go and he told us 8 miles. We were so disillusioned because we saw the lights and heard Collective Soul playing. As we talked to the cop about the elusive "black lot" another shuttle was coming down the road. The cop flagged the bus to a stop and told the driver to let us on. The driver argued with the cops, saying under no circumstances was he to let us on. Then the cop said, "let them on or I will place you under arrest.". That was all it took, we were on!!
I was freaking out. My brother and sister were all set, tickets in hand. What was going to happen to me??? How was I going to get through the gates, the search, get into the camp ground?? How? Get on an employee shuttle, that's how!!! The shuttle pulled us right in to the staffing area. By this time it was like 3am. When we got off the bus we were told to set up our tents in this gravel lot.
we woke up the next morning to a little tent city around us. My sister and I decided to start the morning with a bowl of, uh, salad when someone started unzipping our tent door. It was a cop....SHIT!!! I immediately apologized as a knee-jerk reaction. The cop could care less. He told us we couldn't camp there cuz it was a bus loop. Then he proceded to tell us to go up the road, make a right and that there was a hole in the fence and we could camp up on the hill. Wow!! Thanks officer :D
There were mud people before the rain fell. Not me. I was glad to NOT be covered in mud by the end of the show. When the rain did come, we were all set up on our little hill.
The locals were phenomenal. I was fed, people let me use their bathrooms and gave us tips all weekend.
The music was great. Saturday I opted to stick to the South Stage. I saw
The Cranberries
Youssou N'Dour
The Band featuring Hot Tuna, Bruce Hornsby, Roger McGuinn, Rob Wasserman, and Bob Weir
Primus featuring Jerry Cantrell

Salt n Pepa closed out the South stage for the night. Midway through their set I trekked over to the North stage and caught most of NIN, metallica and most of aerosmith.

Sunday was north stage day. it was a truly awesome day!!

Like I said earlier, primus stole the show for me. During My Name Is Mud, Les Claypool informed the mud-slingers, "You know, when you throw things on stage, it's a sign of small and insignificant genitalia."
The mud-slinging came to an immediate halt. :lol:

We even lucked out leaving. Being the the black lot was a last minute addition, no one knew exactly where it was. One of the locals drove the 3 of us around looking for it and only took $20 from us.

Magical weekend. Writing this story put the hugest grin on my face. Thanks :mrgreen:

#22 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,826 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

so it sounds like Michael Lang learned an awful lot from running Woodstock and Altamont... :rolleyes:

glad you guys were able to have fun, but I think I'll never go to an event that he organizes :lol:

#23 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

i was at bethel in 94 - i just wore the t-shirt the other day in fact. :)

#24 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

such a strange mix of music...NIN/Salt N Pepa...

great stories!

#25 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,400 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

94' was great time, saw the skies part and sunshine through when Santana had Jimis daughter on stage talking about her dad, lots of mud tossing during Greenday, chilipeppers had everyone take off their shirts and wave them, very trippy to see, looked like a rolling sea... Just a great time, 99' was another story ;)

#26 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

I wasn't there but a family member drove shuttles. Said kids would hang from the windows on the outside of the bus and he had no choice but to just keep going, claimed the best part was when he told a girl he liked her shirt she took it off (no bra on) and gave it to him.

#27 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

I will wait five years to tell my tales - and they are fine- of the chaotic mysteries of woodstock 99

#28 tommacco

tommacco
  • VibeTribe
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

I will wait five years to tell my tales - and they are fine- of the chaotic mysteries of woodstock 99

statute of limitation on arson?

#29 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

Jennifer, great read, Iike any review that uses the word usurped. :funny1:

#30 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

Best part of this day other than the music was telling the young lady I was hanging with off. She complained for most of the day about this or that. At some point I told her:

"You know how 1969 woodstock people had life changing moments or experiences? Well here is my advise, quit your bitching, no one wants to hear it"

And with that she did not talk to me ever again, since I never saw her after we got home.

I've been in these exact shoes, and let me tell you, it was f'n AWFUL!!!

#31 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Jennifer,  great read, Iike any review that uses the word usurped. :funny1:

Thanks Ryan. I was pretty proud of my use of the word :tongue1: