• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan a summer festival. My wife and I and another couple and possibly one more couple.

Obviously the line up is importatnt to me. I have only been to one Vibes and had a great time. I'm sure the lineup will be great. Even though I have just been to the one I always check out who is there.

Anyway, I like to camp. But it's at least a 12 hour drive. The drive doesn't bother me but it's a time factor. We did Austin City Limits last year flew and stayed in hotel and had a great time.

Trying to figure out what anyone who has hoteled thinks? Ease of shuttles etc. Did ya miss out on the experience?

Thinking maybe driving down and then picking some people up at airport and camping? I don't know. A lot of other festivals out there as well. Think my wife would dig it being on the water.

Any input would be appreciated.

The bottom line may be the lineup. Anxious to see.

Peace!

#2 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

"The bottom line may be the lineup" Monday you can book your flights for the Vibes :wink:

#3 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

If your driving in, Tabbooma set up a camp to chill at and maybe crash, never done the shuttles before. If you are going to book a room Tabbooma would book right away they are going to sell out, especially the holiday inn. Hope you can make it, last year was outstanding and this year is going to top that! :jump:

#4 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

The shuttles are just fine. Although they have only announced shuttles to Holiday Inn so far. Last year they went to 3-4 other cheaper hotels.

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I think the shuttles may pause for a bit around 4:00 am. As long as you are ready to leave by then, the transportation is easy, otherwise it can be 20-30 minute wait for a cab in the wee hours.
(This is based on several years ago. Nowadays I prefer being on site.)

#6 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

No shuttles between 4:30 and 8:00 AM (sometimes 7:00 AM)

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

We stay at the Holiday Inn on Sunday night before the long drive back to Chicago. It's a really nice hotel and has a great little restaurant and bar.

Do it!

#8 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

We stay at the Holiday Inn on Sunday night before the long drive back to Chicago. It's a really nice hotel and has a great little restaurant and bar.

Do it!

Karen this year you guys should try Ralph and Rich's. Great food, right across street from PT Barnum Museum :dance:

#9 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Karen this year you guys should try Ralph and Rich's. Great food, right across street from PT Barnum Museum :dance:

We had dinner with Lola and Tyler there last year per your suggestion! It was great!

We usually have lunch before hitting the road at the Holiday Inn restaurant. The 17 hour journey back to Chicago...LOL

#10 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Ralph and Rich's was very good! You should join us this year on the way out Chris.

#11 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Ralph and Rich's was very good! You should join us this year on the way out Chris.

Maybe join for breakfast, but have to get RV cleaned and back to New Haven early Monday, usually do not pull out Sunday til 9 or 10PM... Will figure out something :wink:

#12 Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the responses, looking forward to seeing line uo tommorrow.

#13 Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

Wow, what a great line up. can't use that as an excuse now, chit, almost talked myself out of this yesterday and now trying to figure out how I can pull this off???

#14 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Our room is booked at the Holiday Inn for Sunday night! :jamguy:

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,104 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Stayed at the Holiday Inn last year, and it was pretty good.

Comfy place to sleep, hot private shower, no spun kids playing hand drums at 4 am. Shuttle was fine.

The downside was that my friend Juls and I agreed afterward that we'd felt a little separated from part of the experience.

So we're giving the RV deal a whirl this year, though that's something you'd have needed to plan for back in Nov/Dec

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,839 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'd like to give the RV gig at Vibes a try.

#17 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,104 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

I'd like to give the RV gig at Vibes a try.

I'm looking forward to trying it out, for sure. If you get a few people in on it, it isn't too crazy expensive. Whether it's worth what it costs, well, that remains to be seen.

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn this year. Easier access than the other hotels (Ramada isn't bad) Much nicer hotel, and always filled with fun people!

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

I'm looking forward to trying it out, for sure. If you get a few people in on it, it isn't too crazy expensive. Whether it's worth what it costs, well, that remains to be seen.

You RVing with C&D?

#20 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,104 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

You RVing with C&D?

They aren't into it, and are sticking with camping again this year.

Juliet and my friend Rob and maybe one other person.

C's pretty amped about Jane's Addiction from an email we traded yesterday. :mrgreen:

#21 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

I suggest setting up a place to chill somewhere on site. In case it's super hot, rainy, or ya just need a break :)

I've heard great things about the hotels and ease of getting back and forth. I wouldn't want to be away from the grounds personally though.

#22 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

I'm thinking of the campground up rte 8 as the old bus takes a bit longer to get to Albany than a car...and if I stay for the dew...might have to stop. Did the "booked" hotels stay that way for Sunday night usually?

#23 namaste

namaste
  • VibeTribe
  • 495 posts
  • Locationpine plains, ny

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

I have a room and am wondering if I should set up in the camping area as well to have a place to hang out on site, is that crazy?

#24 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

I have a room and am wondering if I should set up in the camping area as well to have a place to hang out on site, is that crazy?

no, that is not unheard of, at all. :)

#25 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'm thinking of the campground up rte 8 as the old bus takes a bit longer to get to Albany than a car...and if I stay for the dew...might have to stop. Did the "booked" hotels stay that way for Sunday night usually?

as i recall that sunday night was fairly easy to get a reservation for, but i would personally probably make the reservation and cancel it later if i didn't need it, rather than wait and take a chance.

#26 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,104 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Great way to do it. My only suggestion would be that you have your camping area broken down and car parked somewhere besides the camping area sometime on Sunday before the end of Vibes.

#27 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

very happy that we booked our hotel months ago..... vibes actually has one of the best hotel options because of its location - the hotel is literally only 5 minutes away (vs 30-45 min at other festivals ie moe.down, camp bisco, coachella) and its so easy to get back and forth (hotel shuttle, cab, vibes shuttle, bike, even walking)

at first I always thought I was going to "miss" something back at the camp site but since we have been hoteling nothing amazing so at first we were renting RVs but that got so expensive (bc they make you rent for a full week) and really stressful for me (what if we get stuck in mud, what if something breaks on RV, what if....)

#28 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,971 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

I setup camp, leave my car campside. It's good to have a place to crash/chill on the grounds. I take the busses to the hotel. When I'm ready to leave, I just pack up the camp, and drive away.