http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12720219

:eek: oh my northern japan will never be the same
:sad:

#2 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

At this point Japanese officials are claiming that containment of the reactor is still intact

#3 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

:shocked:scarey....

#4 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

There was a small exposion... I think killing 4 people, but the whole thing didnt blow yet. I've been watching CNN for the past hour, and they didnt say anything.

They've been trying to avoid this since yesterday. I was convinced we would wake up this morning to the meltdown, but it seems they are keeping it in check... For now. :cry1:

I'm praying they continue to keep it under control. They've been managing so far.

#5 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

What is scary, is that there are 4 plants going through the same thing. the result of 4 plants exploding would just completely destroy that area.

Yesterday, they were saying that the officials were not saying how bad it really is b/c they did not want the people to panic even more then they aready were. I believe that.

#6 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Seems like its just a matter of time, now. That explosion caved the roof in.

#7 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

They are reporting it was a hydrogen explosion to the outside wall. The reactor is still intact and cooling down.

But all these aftershocks are what can make matters worse and threaten the stability of the plant if they do not get the plant cooled down and maintained.

#8 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

We have a friend who invests in things worldwide- I dont know what he invests in exactly- but it's heavy shit.

He informed us that HE was informed by his fellow investors overseas that the doodoo is going to hit the fan as far as these reactors go very soon- and it would be wise to start to stock up on about 3 weeks worth of food.
Just passing along what he told us- but he says its much worse than what they are reporting on the news

#9 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

We have a friend who invests in things worldwide- I dont know what he invests in exactly- but it's heavy shit.

He informed us that HE was informed by his fellow investors overseas that the doodoo is going to hit the fan as far as these reactors go very soon- and it would be wise to start to stock up on about 3 weeks worth of food.
Just passing along what he told us- but he says its much worse than what they are reporting on the news

Thank you for the heads up....

#10 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Nuclear fallout rain is not a good thing contaminating water, soil and the food chain, crops and animals.:cry1:

2012 anyone? :panic:

#11 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,662 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

:heart: Japan...the core will keep :fingers crossed:

Heard they may use sea water to keep it cool...they need to get the diesel generators up and running...

C'mon Japan you can do it!!!

#12 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:25 AM

Posted Image

#13 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,455 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:52 AM

:undecided:

#14 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

My ex lives in Oregon with his wife. Might be a good time for him to come for a visit to NH?

#15 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,455 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

Maybe, Eileen!:heart:

#16 Nuthatch

Nuthatch
  • VibeTribe
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:10 AM

I have been following the news posts as they come in at this site;

http://www.nukefree.org/

#17 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:42 AM

I have been following the news posts as they come in at this site;

http://www.nukefree.org/

1 reason why I love this board.. always find the greatest links you never new about.

Book marked for daily reading! Thanks

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,352 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Posted Image

:undecided:

#19 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

:shocked: Shit. I'm going to Vegas for 15 days tomorrow. Ummm...

#20 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

I've seen this floating around the net. Not seen any attribution of the source. Several people says it's not accurate. Do you have a source for it?

Posted Image

#21 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,022 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

I've read several people stating it's a hoax as well. One brief article I read suggested that in order for 750RADS to reach our coast, the Japan meltdown would need to be six thousand times as severe as Chernobyl

#22 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

I'm not saying this is a hoax, but others are

Posted Image

#23 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

I certainly hope they're right.

#24 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

I've read several people stating it's a hoax as well. One brief article I read suggested that in order for 750RADS to reach our coast, the Japan meltdown would need to be six thousand times as severe as Chernobyl

My understanding is 750 RADS is a lot. Large percentages of people exposed would be killed.

#25 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,455 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

I spoke to my Dad earlier and he was not at all worried about the "fallout" here in the US. The fact that he was so nonchalant about it, made me breathe a lil easier! I am not saying that his heart did not go out to the people who have suffered so much loss, just that he was not worried about the effect that we would feel.

#26 freerange

freerange
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

that map does not follow the course of the easterlies, westerlies nor the jet stream.
i don't know anything about fallout clouds however the wind has been mapped for many years.
looks like fiction to me.

#27 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

This is old data but it seems pretty significant to me.

Expected Effects of Acute
Whole-Body Radiation Doses
Acute Dose
(rads) Probable Effect
0 - 50 No obvious effect, except possibly minor blood changes.
80 - 120 Vomiting and nausea for about 1 day in 5 to 10 percent of exposed personnel. Fatigue but no serious disability.
130 - 170 Vomiting and nausea for about 1 day, followed by other symptoms of radiation sickness in about 25 percent of personnel. No deaths anticipated.
180 - 220 Vomiting and nausea for about 1 day followed by other symptoms of radiation sickness in about 50 percent of personnel. No deaths anticipated.
270 - 330 Vomiting and nausea in nearly all personnel on first day, followed by other symptoms of radiation sickness. About 20 percent deaths within 2 to 6 weeks after exposure; survivors convalescent for about 3 months.
400 - 500 Vomiting and nausea in all personnel on first day, followed by other symptoms of radiation sickness. About 50 percent deaths within 1 month; survivors convalescent for about 6 months.

550 - 750 Vomiting and nausea in all personnel within 4 hours from exposure, followed by other symptoms of radiation sickness. Up to 100 percent deaths; few survivors convalescent for about 6 months.

1000 Vomiting and nausea in all personnel within 1 to 2 hours. Probably no survivors from radiation sickness.
5000 Incapacitation almost immediately. All personnel will be fatalities within 1 week.

Acute Lethal Response
Lethal effects are observed in mammals within a period of 30 days from acute exposures in the few-hundred rad range. Acute exposure refers to a short time period of delivery of the radiation, generally within minutes. Expression of this response is known as the LD5030 or the dose which yields 50% lethality in an irradiated group of a particular species measured at 30 days. At doses appreciably below the LD5030, very little lethality occurs; whereas at doses appreciably above,100% lethality occurs.
Acute Lethal Responses

Testing has not been done on humans (that we know of) but here is what kills other mammals quickly.
guinea pig 175-409
dog 350
goat 350
man 350-450
mouse 550
rat 590-970
monkey 600
rabbit 800
fowl 1000
goldfish 2300

lets not forget the real issue will be what gets contaminated by the fallout...water, crops animals...the whole food chain can be affected by this over time.

#28 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

lets not forget the real issue will be what gets contaminated by the fallout...water, crops animals...the whole food chain can be affected by this over time.

let's not forget that as a race we've tested over 2,000 nuclear weapons in the past 65 years. in the Pacific ocean alone, this testing has awoken many sea monsters, all of whom have wreaked havoc on the Japanese mainland to a far greater extent than the events of the past 3 days have, at least to this point.

my half-hearted joke is an attempt to say that as devastating of an event as a meltdown with subsequent escape from containment would be, we've done plenty worse over the course of just a few decades, and the food chain has done ok for itself. we'd prefer to avoid the tragedy, but even if it occurs, we'll find a way on.

what's amazing is the Japanese fascination with the splitting the atom. 54 nuke plants with 8 more scheduled to be built, every fucking one on a seismically red-hot spot. mind-boggling, really.

#29 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,777 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

but is ivan doing okay? that has been my question, since this news.

#30 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

but is ivan doing okay? that has been my question, since this news.

ivan and family are shaken like the rest of Japan's residents, but ok, according to Feesh via facebook. :thup:

#31 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,487 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

Posted Image

Who believes this and would you also like to buy this bridge I'm selling?

#32 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

From Australian Radiation Services:
Australian Radiation Services is aware of information about radioactive contamination being spread from the Japanese nuclear reactor incident released under the ARS logo and name. We wish to be clear that this information has not originated from ARS and as such distance ourselves from any such misinformation.

#33 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,385 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:58 PM

My younger brother lives in Tokyo. As luck would have it, he left for a vacation in Indonesia about 3 days before the earthquake. Something tells me he'll be taking his time getting back.

#34 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

are we ready to use Haarp technology to alter the path of fallout if necessary?

yes, the map seems a hoax..

#35 Uncle Coulro

Uncle Coulro
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:06 AM

the map seems a hoax..

It doesn't just "seem" to be a hoax. It's a verified hoax. Please see my previous post.

#36 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

2nd explosion happened. :undecided:

#37 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

From Australian Radiation Services:
Australian Radiation Services is aware of information about radioactive contamination being spread from the Japanese nuclear reactor incident released under the ARS logo and name. We wish to be clear that this information has not originated from ARS and as such distance ourselves from any such misinformation.

glad to learn this. that map was on so many sites.

#38 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,022 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

glad to learn this. that map was on so many sites.

pretty shameful that mainstream sites such as CNN had that map posted without verifying it's authenticity and accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if some people on the west coast got scared and started hightailing it east for no reason at all.

#39 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12307698

1535: Just to recap for you: We're getting reports that water levels in reactor 2 at Fukushima have fallen sharply, leaving the nuclear fuel rods fully exposed and raising fears of a meltdown. More as it comes in.

#40 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Not looking so good right now.:undecided:

#41 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,385 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

I've got a feeling that my brother's tenure in Japan may be up.

#42 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

I haven't validated the blog, but the information here seems much more realistic. Even in the worst case scenario, the reactors core would be contained...

https://morgsatlarge...clear-reactors/

[QUOTE]The plant came close to a core meltdown. Here is the worst-case scenario that was avoided: If the seawater could not have been used for treatment, the operators would have continued to vent the water steam to avoid pressure buildup. The third containment would then have been completely sealed to allow the core meltdown to happen without releasing radioactive material. After the meltdown, there would have been a waiting period for the intermediate radioactive materials to decay inside the reactor, and all radioactive particles to settle on a surface inside the containment. The cooling system would have been restored eventually, and the molten core cooled to a manageable temperature. The containment would have been cleaned up on the inside. Then a messy job of removing the molten core from the containment would have begun, packing the (now solid again) fuel bit by bit into transportation containers to be shipped to processing plants. Depending on the damage, the block of the plant would then either be repaired or dismantled.

Now, where does that leave us? My assessment:
The plant is safe now and will stay safe.
Japan is looking at an INES Level 4 Accident: Nuclear accident with local consequences. That is bad for the company that owns the plant, but not for anyone else.
Some radiation was released when the pressure vessel was vented. All radioactive isotopes from the activated steam have gone (decayed). A very small amount of Cesium was released, as well as Iodine. If you were sitting on top of the plants

#43 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

that blog is filled with simple math errors and a clear lack of knowledge regarding the effects of seawater and boron on nuclear reactors. so, i'm not gonna believe any of it. also, he admits below that he doesn't know much about nuclear science. :lol:

#44 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

murry says:
March 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I wonder how the news that two reactors are in partial meltdown, six out of ten are without any cooling and in the japanese prefecture of Miyagi Sunday radiation levels 400 times above normal have been measured fit in your “analysis” that the situation is now under control.

morgsatlarge says:
March 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I am no expert, but my understanding from the article, was that there are “meltdowns” and there are meltdowns. This is a non-lethal, worrying one, not a chernobyl level “kiss your butt good-bye” one.

The best way of explaining it is that there are various types of heart attacks. None are good, but not all kill you.

As for being under control, Josef clearly is of the opinion that they are, and the Japanese govt is repeatedly stating that there are no big concerns. I’m happy with that for now.

yup. he knows what he's talking about. :lol:

#45 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:05 AM

all residents within 19 miles of the complex are now being told to stay indoors as an explosion unrelated to the previous two has probably damaged the containment unit for a 4th reactor, leaking more radiation than has been seen previously. emergency personnel are being evactuated, as it's feared that the cooling tube has been compromised, which likely puts FOUR NUCLEAR REACTORS SIMULTANEOUSLY IN STATES OF MELTDOWN.

even the officials are starting to lose hope that they can do much other than let this run its course, whatever the final effects may be. :undecided:

#46 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,487 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

The news is very very bad and will probably get worse, but that's no reason to bandy about a bunch of phoney charts.

#47 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-12733393

#48 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Not looking good :sad:

#49 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Here's another read http://www.nytimes.c...tml?_r=2&emc=na

Here's one part:

"
It diminished hopes earlier in the day that engineers at the plant, working at tremendous personal risk, might yet succeed in cooling down the most damaged of the reactors, No. 2, by pumping in sea water. According to government statements, most of the 800 workers at the plant had been withdrawn, leaving 50 or so workers in a desperate effort to keep the cores of three stricken reactors cooled with seawater pumped by firefighting equipment, while the same crews battled to put out the fire at the No. 4 reactor, which they claimed to have done just after noon on Tuesday.

That fourth reactor had been turned off and was under refurbishment for months before the earthquake and tsunami hit the plant on Friday. But the plant contains spent fuel rods that were removed from the reactor, and experts guessed that the pool containing those rods had run dry, allowing the rods to overheat and catch fire. That is almost as dangerous as the fuel in working reactors melting down, because the spent fuel can also spew radioactivity into the atmosphere."

and

"Readings reported on Tuesday showed a spike of radioactivity around the plant that made the leakage categorically worse than in had been, with radiation levels measured at one point as high as 400 millisieverts an hour. Even 7 minutes of exposure at that level will reach the maximum annual dose that a worker at an American nuclear plant is allowed. And exposure for 75 minutes would likely lead to acute radiation sickness."

#50 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

The news this AM said there was another explosion and radiation was now leaking into the atmosphere...reaching Tokyo 150 miles away...but that the rad levels in Tokyo werent of concern yet.

They keep saying it isa good thing that the radioactive material is being swept offshore by the winds...but is that really a good thing in any case? :dunno: