Need to vent- mother of my stepson GRRR

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

So my husband and I have been talking about taking my stepson (his son) to disney for almost 2 years. We did not take him this summer because I was pregnant. So we decided we were going to take him this upcoming june/July after school ended. We didn't official set a date but we been talking about it for months and thats when we are going. My stepson, almost 7 has been so excited and talking about it alot. This child does not stop talking. Hes with his mother half the week and us the other half. The other day my husband meets her to go pick him and and she tells him that she is taking Connor to disney on his spring break (2 and 1/2 months) before we are. OMG!!!!! Now there is no way she did not do this out of spite or to be the first one to take him there. She has a new born too(who will be almost 1 - who she is not taking with her) It takes all my might not to say something to her. But we try to keep the relationship on a good note for Connor. So now what do we do... still take him when we planned such a short time after, wait? I don't know.

I think i'm more annoyed because shes not the greatest mother in the world. She pushed him into school earlier than he should have (2 weeks shy of cut off) and now hes struggling in 2nd grade! My husband did not fighter her on that and I wish he did. She sent him to school with wrong homework a couple times in 1st grade. Then she buys him everything he wants to show her love and that mommy loves her more while we try to teach him to appreciate what he has and earn it also.
I could go on but just needed to vent because my husband was so upset about disney I feel bad bringing it up to him right now.
Thanks for listening

#2 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

The real winner here is Connor! Disney back-to-back?!?! Lucky kid!

#3 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

I know very true, I have to think that way! :bouncey:

#4 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

There are plenty of other theme parks you could take him to.
My kids loved Sea World at that age.

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

There are plenty of other theme parks you could take him to.
My kids loved Sea World at that age.

Personal input...Seaworld really sucked compared to Disney when I was like 7-8. Universal Studios (they still have that?) also was not as fun (but was still cool) as Disney.

Take the kid to Disney as planned. You cant do it all in one trip anyway, and he will seriously feel like the luckiest kid in the world.

#6 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Personal input...Seaworld really sucked compared to Disney when I was like 7-8. Universal Studios (they still have that?) also was not as fun (but was still cool) as Disney.

Take the kid to Disney as planned. You cant do it all in one trip anyway, and he will seriously feel like the luckiest kid in the world.

Very true!! All and all i know that in my head but just the fact that she did it. Any more suggestions on what places you think are best would be great? I have not been there in like 10 years!

#7 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

i'd be pissed too, but like jbetty said there a bunch of other fun places.

at that age my brother & i LOVED busch gardens in va. pretty sure we went on 2 or 3 separate occasions. we did colonial williamsburg on the first trip too.

the first time my parents took us to disney i was 10 & honestly not impressed :lol: universal studios was cool, but regular disney seemed better for really little kids. they wanted to take us again when my little sister turned 4 & we said no :lol:

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Very true!! All and all i know that in my head but just the fact that she did it. Any more suggestions on what places you think are best would be great? I have not been there in like 10 years!

It is probably easy for me to say, but you cant control her actions, and you probably shouldn't take what she does personally at all. While you are probably correct and it was spiteful, does it matter?

Kids like Disney, she is taking him to Disney. So are you.

Im not sure I really see the problem, but Im coming from a kid's perspective here

#9 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

postpone trip 2 years wait for your own to be able to enjoy is. (If I got the time scale correct.)

#10 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,075 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

I think i'm more annoyed because shes not the greatest mother in the world. She pushed him into school earlier than he should have (2 weeks shy of cut off) and now hes struggling in 2nd grade! My husband did not fighter her on that and I wish he did. She sent him to school with wrong homework a couple times in 1st grade. Then she buys him everything he wants to show her love and that mommy loves her more while we try to teach him to appreciate what he has and earn it also.

We all do the best we can. :)

If she planned the trip to one up you guys, so be it. As far as being good/bad parents, she is in his life, actually wants to take him somewhere and probably loves him a whole lot! Being a parent is challenging...but you know that, because you are a parent :heart:

#11 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,072 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

Islands of Adventure is pretty awesome, too. At 7, I bet he's super-psyched for double Disney. :)

#12 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

not to sound witchy, but sending your kid with the wrong homework happens to even the very best parents sometimes. seems like you're nitpicking and aiming to be displeased with his biomom for whatever reasons you can dig up. not a good road to take, imo. and talking about going to disney and actually booking the trip are two very different things. had you already had everything in place for the trip, what she did would have been shitty. but you can talk about disney every day for a decade, still won't get you there.
my suggestion would be to slap a smile on your face, continue loving your stepson as though he is your own, and search for reasons to appreciate his biomom, rather than reasons to dislike her. everything after that is cupcakes and rainbows with or without double disney.

#13 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Wet and Wild was an AWESOME water park when I was there as a kid, and just as fun as Disney IMO.

#14 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Double Disney rocks. I'm a Disney fanatic & would've loved to go twice in 1 year. Shit I'd love to go twice in 1 year now. I say keep your plans. He will 'know' the parks & have favorites & you can skip some of the unnecessary stuff that you inevitably get sucked into as a 1st timer. If you want to make it more special somehow, they offer tons of extra experiences:

The Main Street ice cream shop has ice cream sundae party during the fireworks that you can sign up for
Chef Mickey dining experience in the Contemporary hotel is supposed to be awesome
They have a pirate cruise out of the contemporary that was awesome!!!!! Watch the fireworks from a boat on the lagoon, get pirate eye patches, swords etc.

You can find all this & lots more on the disney website but if you want help, PM me. I'm a Disney encyclopedia :lol:

#15 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

There is enough of disney to fill up a few visits.

Take him to Universal! Dr. Suess world and stuff. Good times :)

#16 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

not to sound witchy, but sending your kid with the wrong homework happens to even the very best parents sometimes. seems like you're nitpicking and aiming to be displeased with his biomom for whatever reasons you can dig up. not a good road to take, imo. and talking about going to disney and actually booking the trip are two very different things. had you already had everything in place for the trip, what she did would have been shitty. but you can talk about disney every day for a decade, still won't get you there.
my suggestion would be to slap a smile on your face, continue loving your stepson as though he is your own, and search for reasons to appreciate his biomom, rather than reasons to dislike her. everything after that is cupcakes and rainbows with or without double disney.

Ohh i do keep that smile on face and keep things happy for him and will continue to. But i'm allowed to vent. I do not understand kids going to school with wrong homework, especially when its one page 1st grade homework. Yes hes excited and we never let him see any of our annoyance with her and never will. Hes a very happy and healthy kid and understands how blessed he with all the people that love him.

Thanks for all the disney suggestions, MamaKel I'll be hitting you up once we get closer to deciding what we will be seeing.

#17 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

OK :)

#18 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

There is never too much Disney World! I could go every month and be happy. And my kids would be thrilled too!!!

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

not to sound witchy, but sending your kid with the wrong homework happens to even the very best parents sometimes. seems like you're nitpicking and aiming to be displeased with his biomom for whatever reasons you can dig up.

My first reaction. The idea that a parent wouldn't make a mistake when it comes to their kids homework, especially in the first few years is ridiculous to me. This shit is hard. I used to forget to put the money under the pillow. Not once, like all the time. We had a Tricky Tooth fairy so the kids would need me to help them find the money the next morning. And she didn't take the tooth because she had soooo many teeth that her fairy castle was going to be condemned because she was a hoarder.
Oh- and Disney sucks- go to Islands of Adventure. :gingersnap:

#20 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Doesn't universal studies have harry potter world now? I want to go to harry potter world...