Stressful wedding/ Help with Centepieces and such

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

I get married 9/10/11 and the amount of people we have to invite and the money i'm getting stressed. We been cutting corners every where we can. I'm getting married on a military base which is a pretty venue but for the right price. I finally found my dress which was hard to do. Not sure how we are going to pay for it all. We are counting every penny we can now.

Still need to figure out centerpieces, favors, flowers- all doing myself.. wedding bands, bridesmaid dress (still have not picked my colors! )

I'm overwhelmed. (not to mention someone at my job was let go and i'm now doing his work to with no extra money- eats up alot of my time)

Any advice on centerpieces or flower or favors?

#2 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

you probably know this already, but the fastest way to save money on a wedding is to cut your guest list. i know that's hard...i cried when i crossed 20 names off my list a few weeks ago, but it had to be done. i was recently laid off and there just wasn't money in the budget for the size wedding we originally had in mind. so i had to get tough with myself (not something i'm very good at) and plan the wedding we can afford instead, knowing that we will have a chance to celebrate with out of state friends in our own way, soon.

flowers: pick a flower (or multiple flowers) that is in season at the time of your wedding and readily available in your region. then choose a vessel whose shape works with that flower(s), and buy them up at second hand stores, yard sales...or use what you have on hand already, if you have lots of vases or know someone who does.

when you get closer to your wedding date, scope out your local produce outlets, bulk stores and farmers' markets for their floral selections. try to go on the day of week you'd actually be buying them for your wedding to get the best idea of their selection. when you know who has the best selection in your area...set your mind to using them, and be flexible if your dream flower isn't available.

if you have a friend or family member who works for a florist or owns a florist shop...ask them about wholesale ordering. i randomly asked a friend whose family owns a shop about whether 'normal people' can order wholesale flowers delivered to their homes...and she surprised me by offering to place an order in my name, to be delivered to my home a few days before my wedding! :clapping:

i have a 'thing' for vintage milk white glass, and had a small collection going long before Jason asked me to marry him. after visiting 4 thrift stores i ended up with enough vases, bowls and other vessels to do all of my flower arrangements for well under $30. clear glass will cost you even less. and one friend of mine went with a really eclectic mix of pitchers and other china pieces, and that turned out beautifully too. another friend is using blue glass Mason jars. whatever fits your wedding and your style...go for it!

here's my inspiration:

Posted Image

we found that by keeping the guest list to 50 guests, keeping our budget in mind when making any purchasing decisions, and relying on a few close friends and family members to help out with the things they love to do...we were able to plan a wedding without going into debt, which would have been a deal breaker for us right now.

best of luck to you! just remember, your wedding will be a beautiful day regardless of how much you spend, because it's the two of you. keep the marriage in mind more than the wedding, and try not to let the bridal machine get into your head too much...once they're there it suddenly seems totally logical to spend $20,000 you don't have for a one day celebration :lol: which is great for those who have it sitting around, but not so much when you don't. keep a calm head and find alternatives to the expensive things you see and love. they're out there :)

#3 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,359 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

ps - cut out the favors entirely if budget is an issue. of all the favors i've ever received, i only really use one: a mix cd made by close friends, who just happened to have my exact taste in music. but i would be willing to bet i'm the only person who attended their wedding who still listens to that mix! and i've never missed favors, at weddings where there were none.

wedding bands: check out Etsy! :)

#4 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

it will all get done!

are your parents helping with costs at all?

#5 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

My dad passed away about 10 years ago, My mom battled cancer twice and has little money. I dont want her to help. His parents will probably give us some money towards the wedding. They are throwing us a rehersal dinner (I never really wanted one in first place for money reason- but you dont fuck with a Italian woman going through menopause)

So its on us. I think we are able to keep the cost around $10k for 120-130 people wedding. I cant' cut the list much, we both have big italian families and its worth the money to not have to hear it afterwards!

Jersey Thug.. thanks for all the good advice, I love your picture! Beautiful. I hope you have a great one!

#6 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

To keep the cost way down for my tables I am going very simple and very elegant. I am getting a seasonal potted plant that is costing my less than $10.00 a table.... decorating the plant holder in a white foil from the dollar store. I am getting clear votive holders and white candles for the table also from the dollar store. Laying some white silk flowers again from the dollar store. The color is coming from the table cloths. It looks elegant and very inexpensive.

Since our venue is a restored barn it works very well. Maybe something like that would help.

You can order all these things from the Dollar Tree if you do not have one near you. :heart:

We just talked shop on the caterer ourselves.... yeah we are keeping things simple in the decorations so the food, music, and bar can be great.

Much love in this time.... feel free to contact me if you need any help.