Mt Biking Hurts Sometimes

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

Man, did I have my ass handed to me tonight.

Cruising downhill rather fastly on a trail covered with gravel. I warn everyone not to get caught in the washed out ruts caused by the recent heavy rains. But for one reason or another, I accidentally got caught in one. Much like driving on ice, best bet is to just aim straight ahead and ride it out... But I didn't think that fast, and I tried to steer up and out of it, which is impossible. So I dump the bike, go flying, and smash into the only huge boulder on the side of the trail for hundreds of feet. I kinda hit the boulder chest first, with my arms crossed in front of my chest. both elbows took the brunt of it and a pretty good hit to my shoulder. And got a pretty nice rasberry on my kneecap from the gravel. Everything works as it should (Bike and body parts), and I finished the ride, albeit at kind of a 65% pace...but right now, I'm pretty banged up, getting a little stiffer, and walking around like a 95 year old.

I'm on a roll. Last weekend, i got 5 stitches in my right index finger from a boning knife, while trying to open up a cryvac package of spare ribs at a BBQ competition. Whattadummy.

I just felt like posting so I can have myself a little pity party. Now come on everyone, let's hear it: "Boo Hooh for Eddie" Somebody send me the WhaaaaaaaaaaaaAmbulance!

LOL

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Still, I know that trapped feeling of s rut. Still, you dun goofed. It happens, suck it up. Happy trailz.

#3 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

Quick healing man and be careful, healing takes a bit longer for the folks that saw plenty of GD shows ;)

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

Ouch. I done only saw one...

#5 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Quick healing man and be careful, healing takes a bit longer for the folks that saw plenty of GD shows ;)

Oh man, if healing is truly linked to # of shows seen, then this will take a *LLLLLLLLLLLLLLONG* time! Damn! LOL

#6 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

LOL... A nice way to say we are not youngins no more and bouncing back/healing takes time ;)

#7 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

:bouncey:

Ouch. I done only saw one...

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,124 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Ouch! Style points for getting back in the saddle.

#9 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

i quit single track after a particularly nasty endo.

arnica gel is your friend for those bruises.

#10 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

pity parties helped build america :mrgreen: :lol:

feel better, eddie :)

#11 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Damn, this sucks. I took the day off today and I'm trying to be mildly productive around the house. My Right arm and left hand are so banged up that getting peanut butter out of a jar was tough. Could barely wring out the floor mop. Hopeing some of my dexterity comes back by Saturday...I've got a big catering job coming up, and will need to be a bit more functional than this. Crosses my mind that this may be more serious than I originally anticipated. idk.. I really don't want to go for X rays since I don't want a broken arm! LOL

#12 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

i would recommend ice, ibuprofen & some rest, but i'm not a dr....i just play one on these here boards :lol:

edit to add: i don't think you'd be able to use a mop or do much of anything if you had an untreated broken arm...could just be some really bad bruising. hope it's better soon :)

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

i quit single track after a particularly nasty endo.

arnica gel is your friend for those bruises.

Howardless Heathen!!

#14 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,534 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Eddie, you should prolly stay inside from now on. Prolly.

#15 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Howardless Heathen!!

how old are you now, youngin'? you wait until your body takes a bit longer to heal, and then see what you decide to voluntarily do to it... . ;) :lol:

#16 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Never! I will be eleventeen in March. But I will ride the trails until the day I fall over and can't get up! :D

#17 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Never! I will be eleventeen in March. But I will ride the trails until the day I fall over and can't get up! :D

exactly. ;)

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

:lmao:

#19 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Tabbooma fall down he no like, it hurts now ;)

#20 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Oh, it hurts me too. Even when I was young I've taken some nasty spills out on the bike. But I just get right up and keep going. One time, I crashed so bad (in Shindagin when only the FLT ran through there) I tried to get up and ride and crashed again due to be being dazed. At the bottom of the hill I realized I had ripped out the back of my t-shirt completely and had rasberries neck to ass.

#21 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Helmets save lives, yo.

#22 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Helmets helped build America :)

#23 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

<3 swift healing, i'm not a mountain biker, but i love my bike. getting old sucks ;)

#24 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

i would recommend ice, ibuprofen & some rest, but i'm not a dr....i just play one on these here boards :lol:

edit to add: i don't think you'd be able to use a mop or do much of anything if you had an untreated broken arm...could just be some really bad bruising. hope it's better soon :)

Thx. The reason I think it's not broken: I can lift my arm, swing my arm around at the shoulder, I can rotate my arm and hand, wiggle all my fingers and grip things.. It just hurts in most positions and is very very weak. Prefrence is to just not use it at all.
I didn't get it checked out becuase I'm...just F*cking stubborn as the day is long

#25 katydid

katydid
  • VibeTribe
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Sorry you got so banged up! Sounds so painful....sore for days painful. Hot bath?

I was wondering when you got your stitches if you went to the Hospital right away or wrapped it up, finished the competition and went after?

#26 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Sorry you got so banged up! Sounds so painful....sore for days painful. Hot bath?

I was wondering when you got your stitches if you went to the Hospital right away or wrapped it up, finished the competition and went after?

A little backstory first: I was invited to help a BBQ restaurant at a Competiion in Mt Holly NJ. So we got all set up, and the skies are darkening. A line of severe weather is supposed to move in. So these guys take off for the supermarket, and leave me behind at the booth to 1.) Open up the Cyrovac packages of Ribs and remove the membranes...and 2.) batten down the hatches if the rain comes.

No sooner did they drive away, while opening one of the Cyrovac packages, I stuck myself really good with the boning knife. (yeah, I know...cut away from yourself, yeah yeah..I should know better). A little 3/4" bone deep cut on my forefinger which I immediately knew was gonna need a stitch or two, or it would bleed all weekend.. One of the neighboring competitors gave me a huge bandaid, overwrapped it with duct tape, and stuck my hand in a foodservice glove. I continued to work on the ribs, finished them up mostly and by then the storm was coming, so I dragged tarps all over the pie of stuff to be protected. At that point, the last place I wanted to be was in this tent, due to the violent storm. So it seemed to be the perfect opportunity to get the stitches. The hsopital was half mile away..it took a total of an hour. I came right back to the booth, and continued like nothing happened, although i was careful to keep the dressing as clean as I could, thanks to foodservice gloves. And I was the butt of a handul of jokes all weekend!

#27 katydid

katydid
  • VibeTribe
  • 589 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

:clapping: impressive for sure. I have never heard of going to the ER and leaving within an hour. Good for you! Did you win the comp?

#28 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

The Texas Smoke BBQ team got 4th place overall. In the main KCBS categories, we got 5th in Chicken, 2nd in Ribs, 11th in Pork shoulder, and 14th in Brisket. In the ancillairy catergories "anyhing but" (chef's choice) we got 2nd, and in desserts we got dead last. 33 teams participated. I learned SOOO much, and I had one hell of an amazing BBQ lunch.

#29 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,353 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

Nice work and brave actions, Eddie Z.
Good story telling too.