• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

2 classes in and the hamstrings sure are sore! it's been over 3 years since i left my regular practice when i strained my back. my new teacher is gentle and kind. and he knows i'm old and out of shape :funny1: he promised me i would not get hurt and i believe him!

namaste :)

#2 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

:) At some point I'd like to start up again.
I just need to find someone who will be gentle and treat me like an old lady.

Good morning! :heart:

#3 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

good morning jess! :)

yeah, this guy is teaching for the 1st time so it's really perfect for me. he's very careful and explains everything really well. and so far the classes i've gone to are just me and a couple of the women i work with so it's super comfortable!

#4 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thats awesome! Once I get settled in this part of the state I'll be looking for some classes. Are you at a yoga studio?

#5 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

yes, a really small studio a couple of blocks from where i work.

#6 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

the 3rd class was amazing. i'm really looking forward to saturday :) it's all coming back to me. i just need to work on my strength. i'm still pretty flexible. i also need to work on my core. my core is sore! :funny1:

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was never really "om the mat" (lol, typo, but I'm leaving it)...have dabbled in the past (was probably taking classes which were beyond my skill/physical fitness/flexibility level, but am looking for ways to stay healthy and centered, so I've been dabbling again lately...been doing DVDs, and took a gentle class over the weekend*.

Kinda digging it and hoping to continue. :)

*There was a really cute chick on the mat next to mine. If I see her there again, I'll prolly make a move and take her home with me. :mrgreen:

#8 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

my back was out for a couple of weeks so no classes for me but i went back this week and my teacher moved his studio into an old dance studio with hardwood floors. nice! and he painted the walls purple :)

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

my back was out for a couple of weeks so no classes for me but i went back this week and my teacher moved his studio into an old dance studio with hardwood floors. nice! and he painted the walls purple :)

How very TEO of him. :mrgreen:

#10 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

we started working on this one yesterday. only there was no "holding onto your butt" part :funny1:

Posted Image

#11 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

I reckon that oughta be called the timber pose...at least for me. Cause if I did it, it'd be all like Timberrrrrrr, as I fell over like a tree with a saw to it. :funny1:

#13 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

They do a walk-up yoga class every saturday morning on the 4th ave beach here in Asbury Park. I dont know the teacher, but they seem to be really popular, and I like watching!

#14 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

tim, we started out against the wall. and just did it with a bent knee, hand on the wall (facing the wall) and worked on the twist. i can do the leg extension but i've done a lot of yoga in the past. it's all about stages.

as far as the balancing poses, i am solid on my right leg and not-so-much on the left.

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Gonna take me a while to really get deep in the folds and get good extension like that...I haz tight hamsters. They're startin' to stretch some though. :)

#16 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

keep doing your forward bends, that's really the best way to loosen those 'strings. or sitting leg extensions.

#17 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Workin' on it. :)

#18 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

back to back, chicken shack.

i did a friday evening and a saturday morning. hmmmm, there are a couple of spots that are feeling that!

#19 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

we worked on warrior 3 yesterday. sans rock:

Posted Image

#20 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

so i haven't been posting much but i have been going to class 2 - 3 times a week :) i'm feeling really strong and i'm grateful for the experience :dance:

#21 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

we practiced twists last night :) i really love the twists. probably because i have no waist and i'm hoping these will help! :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

worked on half moon last night. did not fall over :)

Posted Image

#23 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

today i did a supported headstand for the 1st time in about 4 years :)

headstand2.jpg

#24 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

Nice!

#25 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

friday night i did it up against the wall but saturday morning i balanced all by myself for about 30 seconds :) which doesn't seem like a long time, but it is when you're standing on your head!

#26 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Go Sums!

Tim and are doin a class here and there. I miss the calm yoga provides

#27 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,403 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Went for the second time yesterday. Really enjoying this. Three other people in the class and I think two of them are fairly new to this. The instructor is new to teaching but seems really good. She gives clear direction, watches everyone closely without the feeling that she is, makes just enough helpful comment, and mixes in just a little laughter here and there. I think we're doing pretty easy and basic stuff, which feels like a great way to start. After, I'm just the right amount of sore that feels like I've stretched and moved in ways that are good for me. 

#28 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

that's awesome! :)

we did headstand and shoulder stand last night. shoulder stand is more difficult for me, for some strange reason. i think because it bunches up my belly flab more :) :lol: :blush:

Shoulder+Stand_vertical.jpg

#29 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,856 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Went for the second time yesterday. Really enjoying this. Three other people in the class and I think two of them are fairly new to this. The instructor is new to teaching but seems really good. She gives clear direction, watches everyone closely without the feeling that she is, makes just enough helpful comment, and mixes in just a little laughter here and there. I think we're doing pretty easy and basic stuff, which feels like a great way to start. After, I'm just the right amount of sore that feels like I've stretched and moved in ways that are good for me. 

this is awesome, Gary. If you stick with it, I'll bet you begin to notice your life transforming in interesting ways, I look back and smirk at the journey yoga invited, without even knowing I was on that journey. Changed my sleep, my diet, my tv habits... interesting side effects.

that's awesome! :)

we did headstand and shoulder stand last night. shoulder stand is more difficult for me, for some strange reason. i think because it bunches up my belly flab more :) :lol: :blush:

Shoulder+Stand_vertical.jpg

oh, I despise shoulderstand! and I only like headstand because I can actually do it :lol:

#30 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Good for you! I need to start back up again, but am letting fear stand in my way. You are an inspiration! <3

#31 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

i'm almost 54 and i can stand on my head! so if i can do it, anyone can! ;)

speaking of "mat", i'm investing in a super nice mat next week! :dance:

#32 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

so yesterday i was running up the stairs at work and i felt like i was using my core, my whole body, rather than just my legs and feet to propel me up the stairs. it felt awesome. thanks yoga :)

#33 JLP

JLP
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

so yesterday i was running up the stairs at work and i felt like i was using my core, my whole body, rather than just my legs and feet to propel me up the stairs. it felt awesome. thanks yoga :)

that IS awesome !  it feels soooo good to be stronger, healthier, & have more stamina! 

used to be a yoga junkie, now it has been WAY too long but on the occasion I do a quickie cat>down dog just to remind my body how good it feels, well, it feels really good :bigsmile:

#34 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

getting headstand down to where i don't need the wall. nice to have the wall there though ;)

#35 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

also i'm feeling so much more balanced in the balancing asanas. tree pose especially. i always visualize roots coming out of my feet and growing down into the floor. that helps :)

#36 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

sunday morning i was having trouble getting motivated so i put in my dvd and did a quick energizing practice. then i did yard work for 5 hours. i guess it worked!  :tongue1:

#37 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

wow, nancy! yard work for me is an hour and half if i'm really motivated! :lol:

#38 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

i did both headstands yesterday. (yes up against the wall but) i balanced in both on my own :) not bad for an old bag! :D

still trying to master the handstand... i mean, just trying to get up into the handstand!

#39 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

i did something to my ankle. i think it's a strained tendon but i can't tell... anyway, taking a week off from the yoga to let it rest. there isn't any swelling which is really weird! and i have no idea what i did... it just started hurting on sunday...

sigh.

#40 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

one of the most difficult, yet seemingly easy, poses for me is side plank. i can do it like this:

side-plank-l.jpg

but have had the darndest time balancing it on the side of just one foot. like this:

15511001032011103828.jpg

today i did it on the right side :) it doesn't even look like that difficult of a pose! especially since i can stand on my head, do half moon, crow, etc. but this confounded pose just confounds me! which means i just need to work on it more :)

#41 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

so... being sick for 2 weeks was not only teh suck, but i couldn't even do a forward bend without snot running out my head. 

today was my 1st day back. i took it easy on myself, went to the beginner class instead of my usual saturday morning level 1 & 2.  it felt so amazing! i feel soooooo much better. can't wait to go again on monday :)

:dance:

#42 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

:happyhappy:

#43 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

finally got some time to myself to do yoga here in the suite. in BC for my bro-in-laws wedding. they have "yoga on the roof" weds morning so i'll be checking that out before the long drive back home...

#44 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

tried to get to the 6am class outside that started today for the summer - but i went to the wrong park!  :lol:

we did half moon in class tonight - the right side was fine, couldn't get my balance at all on the left.    no biggie, i'll just try again next time, right?     :)

some poses, like crow, really bring home the probably permanent changes in my upper arms since the mastectomies.   some days i can't tolerate even slight pressure on the backs of my arms, some days they're fine and other days i just have to poke around a bit before doing the pose to find an okay spot.    :dunno:

#45 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

i did crow!!!!  held it for like 3 seconds them my arms gave out and i face planted, split my lip inside and out and it bled for the next 20 minutes.    good times :thup:

the poor instructor was way more freaked out than i was!  :lol:

:

#46 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

i did crow!!!!  held it for like 3 seconds them my arms gave out and i face planted, split my lip inside and out and it bled for the next 20 minutes.    good times :thup:

the poor instructor was way more freaked out than i was!  :lol:

:

Oh no!   (congrats on the crow pose)    

#47 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

oh nancy! :eek:

crow is challenging. if you have yoga blocks, it's great to start with your feet on a block, position your arms and legs, then you have way less further to go when you lift your feet off the block ;)

just learned that one recently!

half moon is challenging. my teacher is having us practice up against a wall. now that we've done that a bunch, i can do it pretty well on both sides. finally ;)

#48 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

hmmm, i could probably use that trick for the headstand i can't do yet.   :grin:

#49 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

which headstand are you doing? tripod? or the one with your head cradled in your hands? the wall is mandatory for headstand, until you can do it on your own.

#50 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

the one with my head cradled in my hands.    the teachers will help if we ask but my arm strength just isn't quite 'there' yet.  soon.  :)