Photo

Anyone been in a residential facility for mental health reasons?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

I have a family member in a very tough situation and I'm wracking my effing brain as to what to do.

She was in the hospital by "force" due to mania/psychosis for 2 weeks. Is no longer in the hospital but needs "rehabilitation" to get her life back.

If anyone has lived through this, works in the field, has suggestions...please feel free to throw in your .02.

You can also private message me if you want to keep your biz private!

#2 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

I have worked in residential for 8 years, mostly direct and clinical care. What kind of outpatient services is she recieving now?

#3 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I think she is just going to her doc/therapist a few times a week, but from what I see, there is very little improvement. Thank you for responding!

#4 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,365 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

i was going to say, ask Wit. ^

best wishes to you all.

#5 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I've never been in a long term residential facility but I have been on the psych floor 3 times. It's a bad sign that she had to go by force because if you have some comprehension you realize people have more rights when they are voluntary. Maybe people are just stubborn though.

Many hospitals have what they call the "partial" program. This allows the patient to receive counselling, medications and group activities but still go home at night.

Also, If she is in the care ofa Behavioral Health Service program they may have what they call "The intensive outpatient program". I was in this and it featured 3 group therapy sessions, 2 one-on-one sessions with a social worker and 1 visit with RN or Dr. to check in on meds, all these happen over the course of a week. They tried to get me out after 3 weeks, and I think I left after 5.

#6 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I was curious if there are long term and short term type facilities, like she could go for a month until her medication is stable. Somewhere inbetween hospital and regular life...

sounds like the intensive outpatient thing is pretty helpful, thank you royal.

#7 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

From what I've found there's not much the health system can do to get patients to take meds properly and long term. Where you could help is maybe work on a routine with her. When I'm home and on my routine I always take my meds on time. At festivals I tend to forget, but have Gregoir, Jason, TEO and Erinisme to remind me :)

#8 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

http://www.skylandtr...rg/who-we-serve

the funny thing is she is generally a much more routine person than most people, this all came out of the "blue" and couldn't happen to a more unlikely person.

I was checking out the place above...the part that is hard is she doesn't seem to be "there", I don't know if it's the continued mania and psychosis, the medication, etc.

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

If she is on anti-psychotics they can really take away the appearance and reality of not being "there". I was put on risperdal and that was able to make saners but I gained weight and wasnt really "there"
Then I was on abilify and that a little better. One day I went to my RN's office and told her I was feeling down. She said I'm gonna give you this but only for a week because it makes you gain weight" I came in the nextweed and told that this stuff makes me feel 10 times better and that I would take the steps to make sure I dont gain weight. I'm on it now and a good day is no longer just
"not feeling suicidal" a good day is genuine feel good day. I've actually lost weight while on this med for a year and six months.

I dont post about people hating me or being mean to me very frequently anymore.

#10 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

If she is on anti-psychotics they can really take away the appearance and reality of not being "there". I was put on risperdal and that was able to make saners but I gained weight and wasnt really "there"
Then I was on abilify and that a little better. One day I went to my RN's office and told her I was feeling down. She said I'm gonna give you this but only for a week because it makes you gain weight" I came in the nextweed and told that this stuff makes me feel 10 times better and that I would take the steps to make sure I dont gain weight. I'm on it now and a good day is no longer just
"not feeling suicidal" a good day is genuine feel good day. I've actually lost weight while on this med for a year and six months.

I dont post about people hating me or being mean to me very frequently anymore.

I wonder if it was zyprexa, the big weight gainer.

#11 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

I was curious if there are long term and short term type facilities, like she could go for a month until her medication is stable. Somewhere inbetween hospital and regular life...

sounds like the intensive outpatient thing is pretty helpful, thank you royal.

I was going to suggest looking into whether or not there is a respite facility in your area or other transitional type facility to "step down" from inpatient until she is more stable. The length of stay will usually depend on insurance...what state is she in?

#12 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Most of the questions I have I would rather ask in pm's aand I can definitely be able to engage in more after dinner tonight. Is this her first break? How old is she? And does she have insurance?

#13 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Ryan, my Mom gained almost 100lbs on risperidol

(((((BQ))))) <3

#14 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Most of the questions I have I would rather ask in pm's aand I can definitely be able to engage in more after dinner tonight. Is this her first break? How old is she? And does she have insurance?

I gained probably 75 lbs. Took my out of the 2XL easy to find shopping experience to the 4XL difficult to find shopping experience.

#15 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

:heart: