The Brain in Love (and TLE)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

i am not even halfway through this book, but i had to share it after a watershed moment this morning while reading a chapter of the book. while i'm head over heels in love with my guy and we have no relationship issues to speak of, i'm always looking to educate and inspire myself to be the best partner i can be. the title of this book caught my eye recently, so i added it to my Nook and have been reading it in stages, between other reads...until this morning. i suspect i'll tear through it now. :)

while anyone can benefit from a basic understanding of the link between brain health and healthy relationships, the book would be incredibly helpful, i think, to anyone with a temporal lobe disorder (also ADD, PMS, depression, excessively high or low libido or sexual response, anger/impulse control, and other issues that may be explained by brain chemistry/neurotransmitter imbalance) or who is in a relationship with someone who shows symptoms of any of these maladies.

what i didn't expect from this book, but found personally relevant, was an explanation of how my TLE (temporal lobe epilepsy, which several others here also have) effects not only my love life, but all interpersonal relationships, how i view the world and respond to it, its effect on short-term memory and word retrieval, and so much more. most importantly, it suggested that i may be able to mitigate the effects of TLE with supplements and mental exercises. i'll need to do my due diligence to find solutions that help me (and thus, everyone in my life), but just knowing the root cause and that i CAN solve this puzzle is huge!

i was medicated (heavily!) for TLE when first diagnosed in my early 20s, but quickly discovered that the drugs were far worse than the symptoms i hoped to mask, so i weaned off them and haven't taken anti-seizure medication in over 15 years. so i learned to live with it, and have managed over time to practically eliminate the worst symptoms (the seizures themselves - they are exceedingly rare for me now, when i used to have several/many each day, totally disrupting my life)...but i didn't know that many of the "personality traits" i like least about myself are also commonly attributed to TLE, and that there is still a lot i can do to heal myself and be more productive and happy.

i really wish my neurologist had better educated me on this condition when i was first diagnosed, rather than handing me a scrip for a drug that turned me into a zombie (he didn't warn me about that either, the jerk) and wishing me the best. but i'm glad i finally have a better understanding of it. it's a good start, for sure.

anyway, here's the link. i hope others find it equally enlightening and useful.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0307587894

from Amazon.com: Everyone wants to know how to improve his or her love life, but so few of us understand the integral role the brain plays in attraction, keeping us excited about our partner, and helping us feel a strong connection. Based on Dr. Daniel Amen’s cutting-edge neuroscience research, The Brain in Love shares twelve lessons that help you enhance your love life through understanding and improving brain function. Filled with practical suggestions and information on how to have lasting and more fulfilling relationships, The Brain in Love reveals:

• How emotional and physical intimacy can help prevent heart disease, improve memory, stave off cancer, and boost your immune system
• How the differences between men’s and women’s brains affect our perceptions and interest in sex
• The science behind why breakups hurt so much, and what you can do to ease the pain
• Surefire techniques to fix common problems–depression, PMS, ADD–that contribute to conflicts
• How to make yourself unforgettable to your partner

The Brain in Love explains everything there is to know about the brain in love and lust, guiding you to the emotional and physical intimacy you need.

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,234 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Awesome :heart:

#3 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Seems like a very good read for me, as well. :)

#4 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

could be, rabbit...could be :) :heart:

btw, i stumbled upon this book on my local library's website. while it's a very small town library, they offer free downloads of TONS of books on Nook and other reader platforms. so if you have a library card, maybe check there first if you have a Nook, Kindle or other tablet reader.

#5 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,093 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thanks, mama. Dr. Amen got a blurb from my doc for the back of one of his books. :grin:

#6 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

haven't watched, but title made me believe you'd like this thuggy

http://www.ted.com/t...in_in_love.html

#7 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

nice, Sarah B.

CC, as always, thank you for the hour long video i will be sure to check out 'later' :lol: no really...thanks. i will try to watch it later, or tomorrow.

#8 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

it's only 15 minutes! :lol:

and I did watch it - too many quotes at the beginning, delivery style is meh, but some interesting points.