Favorite Prayers

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Don't honestly know where this should go. Maybe P&R, though it's not my intention that it about debate. Maybe Y&M, as there can be an element of meditation to it. Someone can move it to where it should go.

I don't know if there's a sentient, omniscient "god" or not. I lean toward not. But I've been around long enough to see the interconnectedness of everything, and have come to believe that prayer and meditation can be keys to finding peace and love, both within and without, and to lessening the fear in our lives.

So below are a few of my favorites. Feel free to add your own.

It would be nice if this thread stayed peaceful and civil. But if it doesn't, that'll be the way of it.

<3

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Today, Creator of the Universe, we ask that you help us to accept ourselves just the way we are, without judgement. Help us to accept our mind the way it is, with all our emotions, our hopes and dreams, our personality, our unique way of being. Help us to accept our body just the way it is, with all its beauty and perfection. Let the love we have for ourselves be so strong that we never again reject ourselves or sabotage our happiness, freedom, and love.

From now on, let every action, every reaction, every thought, every emotion, be based on love. Help us, Creator, to increase our self-love until the entire dream of our life is transformed, from fear and drama to love and joy. Let the power of our self-love be strong enough to break all the lies we were programmed to believe - all the lies that tell us we are not good enough, or strong enough, or intelligent enough, that we cannot make it. Let the power of our self-love be so strong that we no longer need to live our life according to other people's opinions. Let us trust ourselves completely to make the choices we must make. With our self-love, we are no longer afraid to face responsibility in our life or face any problems and resolve them as they arise. Whatever we want to accomplish, let it be done with the power of our self-love.

Starting today, help us to love ourselves so much that we never set up any circumstances that go against us. We can live our life being ourselves and not pretending to be someone else just to be accepted by other people. We no longer need other people to accept us or tell us how good we are because we know what we are. With the power of our self-love, let us enjoy what we see every time we look in the mirror. Let there be a big smile on our face that enhances our inner and outer beauty. Help us feel such intense self-love that we always enjoy our own presence.

Let us love ourselves without judgement, because when we judge, we carry blame and guilt, we have the need for punishment, and we lose the perspective of your love. Strengthen our will to forgive ourselves in this moment. Clean our minds of emotional poison and self-judgments so we can live in complete peace and love.

Let our self-love be the power that changes the dream of our life. With this new power in our hearts, the power of self-love, let us transform every relationship we have with ourselves. Help us to be free of any conflict with others. Let us be happy to share our time with our loved ones and to forgive them for any injustice we feel in our mind. Help us to love ourselves so much that we forgive anyone who has ever hurt us in our life.

Give us the courage to love our family and friends unconditionally, and to change our relationships in the most positive and loving way. Help us to create new channels of communication in our relationships so there is no war of control, there is no winner or loser. Together let us work as a team for love, for joy, for harmony.

Let our relationships with our family and friends be based on respect and joy so we no longer have the need to tell them how to think or how to be. Let our romantic relationship be the most wonderful relationship; let us feel joy every time we share ourselves with our partner. Help us to accept others just the way they are, without judgment, because when we reject them, we reject ourselves. When we reject ourselves, we reject You.

Today is a new beginning. Help us to start our life over beginning today with the power of self-love. Help us to enjoy our life, to enjoy our relationships, to explore life, to take risks, to be alive, and to no longer live in fear of love. let us open our heart to the love that is our birthright. Help us become Masters of Gratitude, Generosity, and Love so that we can enjoy all of your creations forever and ever. Amen - Don Miguel Ruiz

#3 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Oh, Great Spirit,
whose voice I hear in the winds
and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.
I am small and weak.
I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes
ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made
and my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may understand
the things you have taught my people.
Let me learn the lessons you have hidden
in every leaf and rock.
I seek strength, not to be superior to my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy - myself.
Make me always ready to come to you
with clean hands and straight eyes,
so when life fades, as the fading sunset,
my spirit will come to you
without shame.

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Go forth into the world in peace: be of good courage; hold fast that which is good; render no man evil for evil; strengthen the faint-hearted; support the weak; help the afflicted; honour all men; love and serve the Lord, rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit.
And the blessing of God Almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost be upon you and remain with you for ever.

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

And my favorite one of all:

Thank you

#6 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,747 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Posted Image

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

#10 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

That St. Francis Prayer is a good one. :)

#11 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

That St. Francis Prayer is a good one. :)

Perhaps my favorite. :heart:

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thought about posting it, but didn't want to hog 'em all. :)

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thought about posting it, but didn't want to hog 'em all. :)

You did get the one about fighting one's greatest enemy. :heart:

#14 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm greedy that way. :)

#15 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Prayer could be you talking to yourself...

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,549 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

I am okay with that. :smile:

#17 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

Prayer is you talking to yourself...

Or, another way of putting it, it's you putting your focus in a positive, loving direction...

#18 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,835 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I really like that first one by Don Miguel Ruiz that you posted Tim, I don't necessarily believe in a "creator" but I found that if I adjusted my perceptions of that particular word being used that speaking those words out loud actually made me feel good. It's not as if I was speaking to another entity, but just to say those words to myself seemed to bring about a positive feeling. I'm certainly not going to be trying to start a religious debate but I think that perhaps asking people to speak those words as if to another entity allows them to get over any self-doubt that says "this is dumb" or whatever and makes them more comfortable with the idea of speaking those words. Either way, focusing your mind and your energy in a positive direction, however it's accomplished seems to be a very good thing for anyone.

#19 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

I really like that first one by Don Miguel Ruiz that you posted Tim, I don't necessarily believe in a "creator" but I found that if I adjusted my perceptions of that particular word being used that speaking those words out loud actually made me feel good. It's not as if I was speaking to another entity, but just to say those words to myself seem to bring about a positive feeling. I'm certainly not going to be trying to start a religious debate but I think that perhaps asking people to speak those words as if to another entity allows them to get over any self-doubt that says "this is dumb" or whatever and makes them more comfortable with the idea of speaking those words. Either way, focusing your mind and your energy in a positive direction, however it's accomplished seems to be a very good thing for anyone.

This. :)

#20 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

I really meant it in a mystical sense, the micro appealing to the macro...

#21 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

And I've found in the past that replacing "Creator" with "Creation" has been helpful. As I see them as pretty much one and the same, I don't dwell on it anymore.

#22 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I really meant it in a mystical sense, the micro appealing to the macro...

Perhaps they're one and the same. :)

#23 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Prolly

:lol:

#24 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

#25 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,520 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

"Jesus Christ stay down."

A go to for a variety of situations.

#26 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

:lol:

#27 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,341 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Good bread
Good meat
God god
Let's eat!

#28 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

May the sun bring you new energy by day,
May the moon softly restore you by night,
May the rain wash away your worries
And the breeze blow new strength into your being,
And all the days of your life may you walk
Gently through the world and know its beauty

#29 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

and I always close my yoga classes with

“May you be happy. May you be healthy. May you be joyful. Namaste,”

I think it's like a prayer/blessing.

#30 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

CROM!

#31 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,865 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

CROM!

:clap:

#32 tiedyesky

tiedyesky
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,395 posts
  • Locationjust outside the box

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

I don't know that I actually say any "prayers". While most are beautiful poetry, I find them to be one person's idea that we adapt as our own. I was raised one way, I raised my children another....
In our house, we say grace before every family meal as a mean of community, and starting with the youngest member, each person takes a turn stating what s/he is thankful for. As for regular prayer, we just "talk to God". Communicate with the Creator. Seek guidance from the Great Spirit. However you view it, we believe that it is a personal experience and should be personal, not scripted

#33 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Here's a sweet little saying to say to yourself:

I love and approve of myself and I accept the process of life - I am safe