Gary Clark Jr.??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

So, what's with the hype for this dude?? Just read on the jambands.com article that he's compared to "Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and other impossible guitarists." I saw Gary Clark Jr. and I've watched lotsa live videos and he's alright, but I can think of tons of other guitarists out there that are new and blow him outta the water. I've never seen or heard him play anything that blew me away in the least bit. Can anyone point me in the direction of his "impossible" guitar playing?? I wanna like him, his voice and songs are great, but I feel like there's just something lacking...

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Perhaps a depth of emotion that comes with living through hard times is missing?

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

being compared to jimmy is nothing all that great. we have guitarists now that piss all over jimmys face

#4 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Perhaps a depth of emotion that comes with living through hard times is missing?

That could be...

being compared to jimmy is nothing all that great. we have guitarists now that piss all over jimmys face

Blasphemy. Sure there's people that outshred Jimi, but to me there's few people ever that played with the soul he did, alive or dead. In my mind if you're being compared to Jimi you better be unfuckingbelievable. Gary does not do it for me but he's constantly being praised as the second coming of Jimi.

#5 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

jimmy was the first to do what he did...ill give him that...but its a natural progression. he was just a spoke in the wheel

#6 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

jimmy was the first to do what he did...ill give him that...but its a natural progression. he was just a spoke in the wheel

being so innovative, creative and say, being one with the guitar, qualifies him for much greater than spoke status.

Posted Image

#7 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

maybe a turbo spoke...but thats as far as ill go

#8 -Q-

-Q-
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

:lol:

#9 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

So, what's with the hype for this dude?? Just read on the jambands.com article that he's compared to "Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and other impossible guitarists." I saw Gary Clark Jr. and I've watched lotsa live videos and he's alright, but I can think of tons of other guitarists out there that are new and blow him outta the water. I've never seen or heard him play anything that blew me away in the least bit. Can anyone point me in the direction of his "impossible" guitar playing?? I wanna like him, his voice and songs are great, but I feel like there's just something lacking...

I bought the dude's Bright Lights ep based on hearing that tune. Pretty good.
Not ground breaking. Not Jimmy.

#10 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

To me Jimi was the whole wheel, not merely a spoke. He IS rock and roll guitar playing as we know it.