• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Police were responding to a double shooting at a Dunkin' Donuts on Derby Avenue in New Haven.
A witness tells NBC Connecticut, a person pulled up to the Dunkin Donuts in a car and honked the horn. When two people inside the store looked out to see who it was, the person inside the car opened fire.
There's no word on the conditions of the two victims.
Dunkin' Donuts is located at 105 Derby Avenue at the corner of Norton Street.
First Published: Feb 16, 2011 6:29 PM EST

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

What is wrong with some people? What is wrong with society?

:cry1:

#3 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,786 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

#4 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Is that how they get the holes in the donuts in Ct?

#5 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

Is that how they get the holes in the donuts in Ct?

:rolling:

#6 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:04 AM

America runs from Dunkin'! :sad:

#7 mylightning2

mylightning2
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

I really can't understand why my Pops is so fond of New Haven. He was born there and he went to the university there, but he can't see beyond that shit. It's not 1940 anymore, but he doesn't realize it. He's got a place there and I think he's fucking out of his mind. It's on a really nice street, all fat houses, but drive up over the hill or under 95 in the other direction and you're in the ghetto.

Yeah, shootings suck and I feel for whoever got hurt, but it doesn't surprise me. Not much I can say. If one wants a better chance at not being a victim of violence, get out of New Haven.

#8 Mutant

Mutant
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:25 AM

Wasn't there a shooting outside a Dunkin' Donuts in New Haven just a few months ago? :eek:

Note to self: Make sure all doughnut and coffee needs are met before rolling into New Haven.

#9 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

You'd think with how cops like donuts that Duncin's would be safe...

#10 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,450 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

Is New Haven actually that bad, or is the "gun wavin " bit a joke?

ser questions here. I alrways thought New Haven was uppity CT

#11 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

I think I heard this morning that New Haven PD is laying off 16 officers. WTF

#12 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Is New Haven actually that bad, or is the "gun wavin " bit a joke?

ser questions here. I alrways thought New Haven was uppity CT

New Haven is messed up. It has Yale and a few nice neighborhoods. The rest of it is urban decay and crime. The gun wavin' is ser biz.

But yes, I always felt out of place at the synagogue we went to because it seemed everybody else was a doctor, lawyer or Yale professor.

#13 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

http://www.google.co...g3g-v3&aql=&oq=

#14 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:54 PM

Dunkin' Donuts and no cops? :shocked:

#15 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

new haven is scary and smells like rotten fish. :shocked:

#16 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

New Haven was home (maybe still) to some of the largest gun manufacturers in the country (Winchester, Marlin) amongst many other small manufacturers. I'm sure that place has plenty of guns kicking around the streets.

Similar situation on a much smaller scale near here in a small town. Tyco Mallinckrodt (drug pressers) moved into a very small quaint town and everyone thought it was going to be great for that area. Now, the town is a shit hole with property values dropping due to neglect. Neglect due to addiction.

#17 IndustrialXHippie

IndustrialXHippie
  • VibeTribe
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Yeah New Haven is a place I would like to go to more often but I always second guess myself because of the crime . I have never really seen any of said crime when I am out in New Haven but you cant discredit the news reports .

Must be all those damn samsquanches!

#18 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

New Haven is nice to visit...some parts...but I wouldn't want to live there...again.

#19 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

the only good thing about new haven is ikea and c.o. jones. :coffee:

also brody. :moose:

#20 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

Toad's Place smells of pee.

#21 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,450 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:36 PM

Saying "gun wavin New haven" just seems funny to me.

#22 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

I don't know anyone who has lived in New Haven for more then a year that hasn't been robbed, burglarized or had property vandalized.

#23 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

I don't know anyone who has lived in New Haven for more then a year that hasn't been robbed, burglarized or had property vandalized.

1. Signed. My car was stolen from in front of our Westville apartment the week before we closed on our house.

#24 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

My truck got stolen by the AAA driver that towed my car because we couldn't get the spare off the bottom of it. It was found in the middle of an intersection with a crack head sleeping in it. The cops let the crackhead go and I got to pay the impound charge. I found a crack pipe in it. The cops didn't care.

#25 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,919 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

My truck got stolen by the AAA driver that towed my car because we couldn't get the spare off the bottom of it. It was found in the middle of an intersection with a crack head sleeping in it. The cops let the crackhead go and I got to pay the impound charge. I found a crack pipe in it. The cops didn't care.

Neither does honey badger.

#26 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

that is awesome, sad and scary all in one.

twilight zone shit

#27 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

but hey! free crack pipe!

#28 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,450 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

i swear you just stole my post jen dantscher

#29 sillyolbear

sillyolbear
  • VibeTribe
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

i saw someone once buy a newspaper from one of those boxes on the street and they took TWO instead of one. very scary city

#30 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

My friend got mugged during the middle of the day on a busy street (Whitney & Edwards) with people watching. The attackers hit her in the back of the head and took her bag w/her lap top in it. Nobody helped her.

#31 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

New Haven is good for 2 things. Pepe's Pizza and Ikea.

That is all I go to New Haven for. And for a random show at Toad's Place.

#32 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

I'm still mad I never made it to the Noodle House. :ravn:

#33 Burning Heart

Burning Heart
  • VibeTribe
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

I lived in and around New Haven for over 10 years after having grown up in inner city Boston.
New Haven is not scary, but it can be dangerous. It is a city, there is drug use and crime and most people don't care enough about their neighbors.
I was broken into during the day while at work. They ripped my back door off the hinges. My neighbor was working on his garage and "didn't see nuttin"
You have opulent homes on one block; the next block is all crack houses; then another gang of beautiful homes on the next.
I would only go back to New Haven to visit sillyolbear...and a short list of other close friends...
my $0.02:mrgreen:

#34 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

I used to go gymnastics in New Haven - Whaley Avenue maybe.....

Well, I guess I won't stop at the D & D in New Haven before The Buds gig on Wednesday (23) at the Beach House Cafe - Greenwich

#35 mylightning2

mylightning2
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

Old Greenwich. Ya know how many "towns" are in Greenwich? It's crazy.

There's Greenwich, Old Greenwich, Riverside, Byram, Pemberwick, North Mianus, Glenville, Backcountry Greenwich (not really a separate town) and i'm sure i'm forgetting some. They all have their own post offices, schools, some have their own town offices and libraries. It's kinda weird how that place is set up. Way nicer than New Haven:funny1:.

New Haven has some good things going on, but it's pretty scary too.

Have fun down there Kitty. If you want a good meal before the show, go to Applausi right across the street and up the road (1 min. walk) from The Beach House. Saw the Beach House menu and it looks kinda boring. Applausi has good Italian food, bring $$$$.:v:

http://www.osteriaap....com/index2.htm

#36 Sugar_Mag

Sugar_Mag
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

I go to New Haven to go to Toads or to see Moose. That is all. Last time I was there just "hanging around" with some friends I had 3 people come up to me within an hour and a half either wanting me to buy their crack or give them money to buy crack.....twas an interesting night.

#37 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,919 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

So how much did you buy?

#38 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

A couple of high profile crimes and cases in Connecticut that I followed. The murder of a Yale lab student named Annie Le. That guy who comitted the murder Raymond Clarke III or whatever will go to prison for keeps.
http://en.wikipedia....der_of_Annie_Le
The other is this pair of guys who murdered and raped this wife and daughters of a Connecticut family and one has already been sentenced to death and the other one Joshua Komisajevski will recieve the death penalty soon. The pre-trial hearings for that guy are going on now. The rapes and murders happened in Cheshire, Ct. I believe??? Thank God Connecticut is a death penalty state. That's all I've got to say.

#39 Sugar_Mag

Sugar_Mag
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

So how much did you buy?

:censor:

#40 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

I go to New Haven to go to Toads or to see Moose. That is all. Last time I was there just "hanging around" with some friends I had 3 people come up to me within an hour and a half either wanting me to buy their crack or give them money to buy crack.....twas an interesting night.

Yeah...it's all about the part/section of the city. I'm in the Woodlawn section of the Bronx which is beautiful and awsome but if I cross over the 238th Street bridge and up the hill to Wakefield under the 2 train, it's crack Ave. up there on White Plains Road. The only time I'm up there is to hop on the #2 train at 233rd Street.

#41 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

The rapes and murders happened in Cheshire, Ct. I believe???

Yup my hometown. I can't imagine being Dr. Pettit and having to go through another trial.

#42 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Yup my hometown. I can't imagine being Dr. Pettit and having to go through another trial.

That man is really stand up and stand out though. I'll call him my hero! Cheshire, Ct. has a dynamite high school lacrosse program. They whiped the stuffing out of us Scarsdale High School guys. We travelled from Scarsdale, New York to there and got beat 13-1 or something.:rolleyes:

#43 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

New Haven police are investigating four shootings that occurred in a 24-hour span leaving five people injured, one fatally.
Officers responded to 141 Butler Street shortly before 5 p.m. Friday evening, after a caller reported a group of males shooting behind a house.
Officers arrived and found a 16-year-old victim suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to the Hospital of Saint Raphael’s where he is in stable condition.
According to the New Haven Register, police say the shooters were members of the R2 drug gang.
Another shooting was reported at 135 Carlyle Street a few hours later. Police said a man was shot in the ankle and taken to an area hospital. His condition is unknown.
The most recent shootings occurred on Hamilton Street. Two men ages 26 and 22 years old were found lying on the ground suffering from gunshot wounds outside of the Crazy Horse Cabaret.
According to police, a car was seen fleeing the scene and police pursued the car into East Haven where the driver was caught and taken into custody.
The driver’s name has not been released.
These shootings happened after a fatal shooting early Friday morning on West Street. 53-year-old Derrick Suggs was found suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest just before 1 a.m.

#44 bedidr

bedidr
  • VibeTribe
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

I really can't understand why my Pops is so fond of New Haven. He was born there and he went to the university there, but he can't see beyond that shit. It's not 1940 anymore, but he doesn't realize it. He's got a place there and I think he's fucking out of his mind. It's on a really nice street, all fat houses, but drive up over the hill or under 95 in the other direction and you're in the ghetto.

Yeah, shootings suck and I feel for whoever got hurt, but it doesn't surprise me. Not much I can say. If one wants a better chance at not being a victim of violence, get out of New Haven.

well..every city has bad spots like this...I live a town over in West Haven, and Im in and out of New Haven a lot...work at Yale..plus cool bars and rest's.......depends on where you go. Tis my county bro....home is home.

#45 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,385 posts
  • LocationDerby

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

I love New Haven. I loved living in New Haven for the 8 years that I was there. That said, I moved as soon as I had kids.

However, I'm willing to bet that, as with most shootings, this was not a random incident. I don't think that living in New Haven necessarily means that you are more likely to get shot. Most people who get shot are targeted by someone who knows them.

Connecticut is a death penalty state.

Not for long, thank God.

#46 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

nuts......

http://www.yaledaily...ot-toads-place/

#47 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,363 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Double shooting in the bar.. crazy, see if they hold anymore rap events... New Haven is Safe, sure the occaisonal shooting or Robbery, nothing like Bridgeport in the 80's, was like the freaken wild west... Hope they both make it :heart:

#48 mylightning2

mylightning2
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

well..every city has bad spots like this...I live a town over in West Haven, and Im in and out of New Haven a lot...work at Yale..plus cool bars and rest's.......depends on where you go. Tis my county bro....home is home.

I know where you are coming from, but there are a few cities I know of that don't have bad spots. Well, maybe they are technically large towns.

Guess I shouldn't go to Mory's anymore for dinner. I guess lunch might be safe. That place is kinda lame now anyway, I liked it the way it was before they reopened it.

Be safe y'all.:v:

#49 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Double shooting in the bar.. crazy, see if they hold anymore rap events... New Haven is Safe, sure the occaisonal shooting or Robbery, nothing like Bridgeport in the 80's, was like the freaken wild west... Hope they both make it :heart:

I lived in the South End of Beepo in the '80s. You could hear small arms fire every night.

I lived in Westville in the '90s. We sometimes heard gunfire from across Edgewood Park, but our neighborhood was fairly safe. The Hill, Newhallville, Dixwell -- not so much.

#50 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

A 23-year-old man, a California musician who moved to Newhallville last winter, was shot to death in what police are describing as an apparent home invasion at his rented house with friends on Bassett Street.

Mitchell Dubey, of 29 Bassett St., was shot at least once inside his house near the front door after police say he opened it and was confronted by a gunman.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Police said the killing did not appear to be a "random act" but stated that the investigation remained in its early stages.

His housemates were interviewed at police headquarters.

The shooting happened at about 10:02 p.m. Thursday.