Preparing to be really poor

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:03 AM

so we've been less than thrilled w/ the public school. It's a "good" district but having my kindergarten child come home bored w/ tons of worksheets just doesn't cut it.

So I've been tossing around homeschooling, private schools etc & I went on a tour today.......

LOVE this school http://randolphschool.org/

right down the street, everything I believe in as a teacher, for my kids - it's awesome

But now I've got to pay for it :shocked:

#2 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:20 AM

just a quick reminder that every child you take out of a public school system means less money for the system federally. that means less chance of that school ever being able to be the type of school you are looking for. we thought about leaving bps but instead i decided to become an advocate for change. its amazing how good it feels to see a middle school that was failing and had no one choosing it turn around and become the school most chosen in just 2 years.
the school does look incredible though. are you going to put both girls there? :heart:

#3 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

I know but I'm defeated - as a teacher, as a parent - I'm just defeated. I've been fighting for change forever & the NY state teacher's union is so strong, I just don't see it happening anytime soon :(

and it's not a bad school, it's considered a great school sadly. Being an early childhood teacher, it's just not what I want for my kids. The 'plan' is to transition them back to public school probably around 4th grade. The early childhood experience happens once & it's such a small window. I just want it to be incredible & luckilly I am able to do that for them.

I plan on sending Cate next year & Jess in 2 for 'kindergarten'. They don't really have grades, they do multi-age groupings. We love our current preschool & I want to let her finish it out next year.

#4 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

My children went to private school and it was perfect for them....at the time. We just got finished homeschooling Brandon last spring and they are now all back in public school. I am trying to find the best niche for them there. We just can't afford to send them back to private.

Good luck, I think if you can afford it...absolutely do it. Your childrens education is the biggest investment you can make.

Keep us filled in. :):heart:

#5 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,421 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:48 AM

holy crap that's expensive! :eek:

but it does look absolutely amazing. if you guys can afford it, go for it. :thup:

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,006 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

Tough choice. Tuition is so expensive for a school like this but the payoff can be so worth it!

Best of luck with the plans :)

#7 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

Yes prepare to be poor..... but well worth it.
My children all went to private school also, but in high school.
The public elementary school here is wonderful, middle school not so much, high school awful.
My children have all graduated from and my youngest now attends a small private 2 room, 4 teacher school. Best money I ever spent.

#8 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

Thanks all :)

Wende - we were seriously considering homeschooling & we figured, if I'm going to give up my potential salary to homeschool, I could work & send them to private school. I just don't think I've got homeschooling in me!

For those of you who have done this & transitioned your kids back to public school, tell me about that transition please

#9 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Homeschooling is not for everyone. It wasn't for me. I sucked at it. But he grew up soo much during that time and we were able to get some real quality field trips around the state of NY, in. Just the two of us.

The transition to public school was much much harder for me I think. Hearing the stories that my son would come home and and tell me about his classmates, kills me. Kids just didn't act like this in private school. There were manners and structure. Public school is very zoo like. BUT, the kids LOVE having the diversity of friends now. They wouldn't ever go back. They are, personally, much *happier* in public. Their grades aren't as good as they were in private. Reason being, the structure just isn't there. It's going to take a bit more time for us. IT's only been since this past Sept. The activities and clubs that are offered to them is tremendous and worth the move alone..

All in all, we still have some adapting to do, well, I do. I will come back and talk with you after this school year. :)

#10 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

My son Marcus who is in private high school also has to options to participate in anything the public high school offers if his private school does not offer it, as we are still members of the school district. He plays on the basketball team for the public high school as his school does not have a basketball team.
When my son Sam went to the private school, he went to the public high school for wood working. Best of both worlds in my opinion.
You may find that after a few years, you do not want to send them back into the public school system. Then again, you may find that private school is not for your children. All children learn and grow differently, as you know. I am sure you will figure out what works best for yourself and your girls as they grow. :heart:

#11 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Where are you HippieChick? I'm in NYS and was told that this is not aloud. It would have made a huge difference. Since the private school just didn't have enough to offer the children...

#12 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

I am in NH. If you live in the school district here but your child goes to private school, if the private school does not offer a program and the public school district does offer it, the child is eligible to do whatever the program is through the public school and still get credit for it when applicable also. This includes classes, sports teams, clubs, school dances, etc. I guess it my not apply where you are Wende, but that does not really make alot of sense since taxes are what pays for the public schools and your taxes do not go down if your child attends private school. Then again there are many rules which do not make sense to me.

#13 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

Yea, not in NYS. :( I hate this state. Although the school get's your local money, their federal and state funds are by enrollment only, so they do lose a lot of money when you pull your child out of the home school. So, I can understand to some degree.

Still, this state sucks.

#14 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for the imput. I agree that we might not want to send them back and if we can afford it then we probably won't.

My concern is actually for the lack of structure in private school: multi-age groupings, individualized education, child centered education, hands on exploratory learning, etc and then transitioning back to the factory that pumps out fact spewing robots

I'm thinking 4th grade b/c our elementary school is a k-3 building & they naturally transition to the other elementary bldg in 4th grade. Also Randolph school ends at 5th grade & if there is to be a transition, I'm thinking 4th might be easier than 6th :dunno:

#15 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:59 AM

Update - we are going to homeschool

after lots of research, discussions, reflection & continuing to see my child (who loves learning) dislike school, I am done

Now NYS is coming out with mandatory core curriculum standards in Sept that bring me visions of The Wall & kids on conveyor belts - factory farm schools.

Any homeschooling advice (ahem Wende) would be appreciated <3

#16 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

I found we did best with a little online schooling and most traditional. TONS of hands on. Friday, was field trip day. Local musuems, historic buildings, locations...local history, rivers, lakes, hiking..
We also did the hot lunch for the private school my other children were going to at the time as a bit of "community service" Get them out in the community. There are A TON of homeschooling groups everywhere. HOmeschooling is getting pretty popular now and there are wonderful activites that include other kids.

Do a TON of research and be prepared. I bought all of our books on Ebay. You'll find them cheap right now. Not so cheap come summer. So, now's the time to ebay it for the books.
You will need to write a letter to your home school. But that doesn't need to be in until I think July 1st. There are some great samples of letters out there on the net that you can copy or get an idea of how to word it to your SUPER. You will have to send it certified so you know and have proof that they got it. Our super was so awesome he sent a letter back wishing us luck in our endeavors and to please contact him if there is anything he can help us with to succeed. That was a huge relief to get that. To know, we are supported. Ya know? I was so nervous it was going to be a fight. But I guess not all counties are that cool. So good luck wtih that <3

I"m trying to think of other stuff. I'm sure I will. When I do, I'll come back and talk to you. I took my 16 year old out of school again a couple weeks ago. We are, once again going to go the homeschool route. So, I'll be here for you and you'll be here for me. <3 Support <3

#17 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

awesome! thanks Wende. I am not worried about the letters & forms b/c I am a teacher & I figure if I can write a lesson plan for a NYS district, I can sure as hell do this! What i am afraid of is telling them too much. So far I keep hearing - tell them as little as possible. Do you agree? Thank you for saying certified though - wouldn't have thought of that.

My girls are 7 & 5 - will be 2nd & kindergarten next year. I don't have to really worry about textbooks yet - but good to know. I have contacted several local homeschool groups. there are 2 local co-ops. We are visiting one on 3/8 & another on 3/20. One is academic & 1 is for the arts. They get together weekly - looking forward to meeting them & getting in on that. Definitely plan on lots of trips & volunteer work. I am a member of 4 yahoo homeschool groups :funny1: and others also get together for trips & weekly playdates.

I am also starting a girl scout troop for my younger one, they will both play a sport & also be in an activity (GS, art etc). I'm starting to get excited about this. I love to develop curriculum, so this is right up my alley.

Starting to tell people. Nervous about telling her school & the PTA - I am currently PTA VP & they want me to be prez next year - oh well. I also have a great relationship w/ the principal so I'm hoping he will be cool w/ participating in extra curriculuar activities (I think they have to anyway). My closest friends have been totally supportive - of course! My mom on the other hand....:bang:

Next time I'm up (I actually just got back from toga) we should get together <3 thanks

#18 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,875 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

Update - we are going to homeschool

after lots of research, discussions, reflection & continuing to see my child (who loves learning) dislike school, I am done

Now NYS is coming out with mandatory core curriculum standards in Sept that bring me visions of The Wall & kids on conveyor belts - factory farm schools.

Any homeschooling advice (ahem Wende) would be appreciated <3

Just saw this thread

wow! exciting!!!! no one better equipped than you!!!! :Phishfolk:

#19 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

You said something about your school having to let your children in extra curricular school activities? Not in NYS they don't have to let you. YOu are no longer a part of the school. Yes, you pay the same taxes and should they? Yes, but not in NYS. Actually, it's more up to your Super to decide. But NYS is pretty blech when it comes to this sort of thing. You're better off finding activities outside the public school area.

And yes, it is soooo exciting. I look forward to homeschooling my new baby. My husband will be taking over that though. When she is 5, we will switch positions. I will go do his job and he'll come home and be a SAHD. :heart:

#20 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm usually a "lurker" on the board but I have to chime in, I too live in NYS and have been struggling with the best decision for my kids education. I have a 4 & 7 year old which currently attend public school. I love the school they currently go to but, being a city school, I'm afraid they might not be getting pushed to their potential. The City of Buffalo does NOT have great scores esp when they get to HS years. Private is so expensive but I'm sure worth it. Decisions, decisions........
I give credit to you for choosing home schooling! I'm not sure I could do it!
Renee

#21 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

I give anybody who home schools a ton of credit! I'm a usual "lurker" here but have to agree with the struggle of making the right education decisions for your children. My kids 4 & 7 attend public now but we have looked into private. I really like thier current school but the schools in the city of buffalo don't have the greatest performance scores esp once the kids start getting older. If they don't get into one of the "preferred" high schools I'll def send them to private school. Decisions....Decisions....

#22 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,678 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

I hate to be the bad guy but here it goes....Why not look into moving? I mean why would anyone pay all that money in taxes and have the schools suck?

#23 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

because this is our home and it's mortgage free? :funny1:

#24 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

I hate to be the bad guy but here it goes....Why not look into moving? I mean why would anyone pay all that money in taxes and have the schools suck?

My schools don't actually suck. They are considered a pretty good school district with average to high test scores & high graduation rates w/ a high percentage that go on to 4 yr colleges. It's the entire system that sucks so moving doesn't really solve my problem. I want experiential, hands-on, multi sensory learning for my young kids. Schools are not equipped to do this. Too many kids, it takes too much individual attention to do it this way.

I've worked in multiple school districts in NY over my career & they all are primarily paper pushing, sit at your desk operations. They aim at the status quo so anyone above or below that suffers.

My daughter now runs errands for her teacher daily (collecting $$ for another teacher's baby shower, getting a soda from the staff lounge) b/c she's done with her work so fast. :rolleyes: She has to bring in her own books b/c the teacher doesn't have books high enough for her. which is silly b/c 2nd grade is 2 doors down, 3rd grade is near the soda machine! :lol:

we looked into private last year but it will destroy us financially. I tried to immerse myself in the schools, I volunteer, I'm VP of the PTA, I created a reading group after school for struggling readers that I teach every monday....but it's just not enough. I need to change the system to get what I feel is appropriate for teaching early elementary

#25 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

You said something about your school having to let your children in extra curricular school activities? Not in NYS they don't have to let you. YOu are no longer a part of the school. Yes, you pay the same taxes and should they? Yes, but not in NYS. Actually, it's more up to your Super to decide. But NYS is pretty blech when it comes to this sort of thing. You're better off finding activities outside the public school area.

And yes, it is soooo exciting. I look forward to homeschooling my new baby. My husband will be taking over that though. When she is 5, we will switch positions. I will go do his job and he'll come home and be a SAHD. :heart:

I thought I read that the schools have to let you into extra curricular activities but not interscholastic sports. I will check that again. I know my school will let her do the after school stuff (science fair, etc) but I'd like to get her into the assemblies as well. I have a really good relationship w/ the school so it may happen

but if not, we have 2 local homeschool co-ops that I think we would join, they will each be doing gymnastics & my younger one will be in girl scouts, the older one in an art class or something

and the answer to your question is yes I have ADHD & no I cannot sit still!:lol:

#26 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

I give anybody who home schools a ton of credit! I'm a usual "lurker" here but have to agree with the struggle of making the right education decisions for your children. My kids 4 & 7 attend public now but we have looked into private. I really like thier current school but the schools in the city of buffalo don't have the greatest performance scores esp once the kids start getting older. If they don't get into one of the "preferred" high schools I'll def send them to private school. Decisions....Decisions....

Welcome!! don't be shy...we don't bite :)

#27 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Now that is a very good reason! :lol: I will trade ya.

because this is our home and it's mortgage free?
:funny1:

#28 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

I see what your getting at Mama Kel...but you said they will be back into public schools in 2 years? So basically you will get them to a point in education that is higher than others in that age group only to have them go back to public school and follow the same course as the others?:dunno:

It just doesn't make sense to me. I could see if you planned on raising the bar for the rest of their school years. But for 2 years and to only go back to "normal" schooling doesn't seem worth the sacrifice you have to make financially.

But maybe Im missing something?

#29 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

I never said they'd go back in 2 years? :dunno: we don't have a plan for re-entry. They may never go back. One thing at a time

but my main reason for homeschool is that I feel young children need to learn through hands-on, multisensory, active means. As they get older, I think it's still great to learn that way, but not as essential for them.

Again I'm not pulling them cuz the schools are bad, I'm pulling them because I don't believe in teaching via worksheet & sitting at a desk all day when you're 5 & 7.

I see what your getting at Mama Kel...but you said they will be back into public schools in 2 years? So basically you will get them to a point in education that is higher than others in that age group only to have them go back to public school and follow the same course as the others?:dunno:

It just doesn't make sense to me. I could see if you planned on raising the bar for the rest of their school years. But for 2 years and to only go back to "normal" schooling doesn't seem worth the sacrifice you have to make financially.

But maybe Im missing something?

#30 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Welcome!! don't be shy...we don't bite :)

Thanks! It sounds to me that you're making the right decision for your little ones. Especially already being a teacher as you're profession, you're equipped with a lot of the tools to make home schooling a success. I wish you luck!! :smile:

#31 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I thought you said you were sending them back in 2 years? My bad, I must have read it wrong? :dunno:

I know but I'm defeated - as a teacher, as a parent - I'm just defeated. I've been fighting for change forever & the NY state teacher's union is so strong, I just don't see it happening anytime soon :(

and it's not a bad school, it's considered a great school sadly. Being an early childhood teacher, it's just not what I want for my kids. The 'plan' is to transition them back to public school probably around 4th grade. The early childhood experience happens once & it's such a small window. I just want it to be incredible & luckilly I am able to do that for them.

I plan on sending Cate next year & Jess in 2 for 'kindergarten'. They don't really have grades, they do multi-age groupings. We love our current preschool & I want to let her finish it out next year.

#32 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I thought you said you were sending them back in 2 years? My bad, I must have read it wrong? :dunno:

Most of this 'conversation' took place last year when I was thinking about private school - sorry for the confusion :lol:

#33 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Woops.

Old thread'd

#34 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thanks! It sounds to me that you're making the right decision for your little ones. Especially already being a teacher as you're profession, you're equipped with a lot of the tools to make home schooling a success. I wish you luck!! :smile:

Thank you. I hope so. Mama self doubt always rears its ugly head - doesn't it? But I truly feel anyone can do this <3

#35 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

mama kel's sparkle school of awesome!

#36 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

:jump: we can kickoff next school year in family camp. Curriculum: art: tye dye, math: counting rocks, reading: kids set words, writing: wook tagging 101 :lol:

#37 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

i will gladly enroll my kids in mama kel's super sparkly summer school of het and bruh. how much is tuition? :funny1:

#38 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

Met w/ a local homeschool group on Thursday. It was awesome. It definitely made the decision final! :jamguy:

#39 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

Ah, good for you. We started our curriculum last week. He's doing so much better here at home. I could not be any happier with our decision.
I'm glad you finalized your decision. When will you start? Next fall? How do your children feel about it?

#40 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

We will start officially next fall but we kinda live our lives this way already so......They are all for it. My youngest is bummed she won't be riding the bus <3 She's been watching all the kids take the bus forever & now it's finally her turn & NOPE! :funny1:

I anticipate the first week of school being hard - with all the hype. So we're going to go away that week. I think once we get into it & they know what to expect, they'll be fine. They already know how we do things, so as my 7 year old says "It will be better at home with you Mom" <3

#41 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

That's great you've made your decision! Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going in September. :heart:

#42 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

mama kel's sparkle school of awesome!

:jump: we can kickoff next school year in family camp. Curriculum: art: tye dye, math: counting rocks, reading: kids set words, writing: wook tagging 101 :lol:

We can have Abby do a tutorial on how to talk the orbitron dude down when his percentages don't add up to one hundred. :lol:

Good for you Kel- I know this has been on your mind for some time. You're so dedicated. :heart:

#43 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thanks <3