• 17,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

Wish me luck.

#2 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Ah, something I have always meant to try making, too... Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

#3 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

sureurright dancer makes a mean gnocchi :)

#4 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

http://carlastastytr...with-fresh.html

#5 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

thanks erin!

my basic advice is to either mash it like you mean it or get a ricer --- I have since invested (only like $6) and it works like a charm! a food mill will also work

the basic idea is getting all the lumps out of the potato and having it be cool before you try to make the dough

other than that its not too hard!

just takes some time since you literally have to roll each one by hand

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I have my grandmother's ricer, which I'll be using.

Just browned the butter I'm going to use on top of the gnocchi. I could drink it all right now, it smells so good! :smile:

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

They came out pretty well - the missus and my folks all loved 'em, though I thought maybe a little more flour might have been in order - they were almost too light for me, and a hint of chewy and not quite so much melt in yer mouth would have been better.

Or maybe I should have made them a little smaller. Seemed to me that the big potato flavor got in the way of the other flavors at times.

The topping was great - brown butter, sage, a little diced mushroom, just a touch of onion, a dusting of crushed walnut and salt n' peppa.

Looking forward to toying with them again in the future, and over all, I'm happy! :smile:

#8 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Sweet! I'm gonna give these a try in the near future as well... I like 'em with a brown butter sauce and sauteed spinach, the walknuts would go well with that so maybe I'll take a cue from you and add those when I make 'em.

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

Please to let us know how it goes!

#10 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

I will! I'm thinking I can make 'em for my next Foxy's Supper Club get-together.

#11 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

yum! ((gnocchi))

#12 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

i've never made my own... we should give it a try sometime!!

#13 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

glad that it came out well.... first time is always more of a rest run and then you get a feel for how the dough should feel and can adjust from there

I haven't actually made any in like a year... I suppose I should get in at least one batch this winter -- I already did a big ravioli/ lasagna pasta making party but there is always room for more pasta

#14 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

Love Gnocchi - I've made it a few times. Pretty easy, just time consuming

#15 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

well its not very wintery out today (thankfully) but we are going to make a big batch -- we have 7 friends coming over w 5lbs of potato each and so we are probably going to make a few dozen trays worth (and they will be taking home their handiwork)

I made a big *** of sauce this morning and its been simmering since about 10 am (off for the past 2 hrs bc we were out of the house)... time to get showered and dressed and get the table set!

I am going to try to have a big *** of water all boiling so that we can just peel and dice the potatoes and toss them in and then strain and cool them..... then rice and make dough and form

should be about 2 hours or so prep I think? so we will be ready to eat around 7 pm

#16 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

I bought a ricer yesterday...couldn't find one for $6 so I got the OXO for $20 (had a 20% off coupon so only $16)

Can't wait to make some gnocchi!

#17 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

nice!!!!

in the end we did 15 lbs of potatoes, about 12 c of flour (about 10 in the dough and another 2 for surfaces, rolling out etc) and 5 eggs

I think we got over a thousand gnocchi total to take home and ate about 300 last night (fed 7 people).... took about 4 hrs of work in the end with 3 of us working at it pretty much full time (w a few breaks while potatoes boiled/ cooled)

the were pretty good (though I accidentally overboiled one batch.... ooppps!)

#18 Baconman

Baconman
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:17 PM

I LOVE gnocchi!! When I was living in Virginia, I worked the pasta station at this place

http://www.barboursv...adio-restaurant

Some tricks that I picked up were to bake the potatoes, not boil them. This will result in a lighter, fluffier gnocchi. Also, once the potato is out of the oven, work as fast as possible. Working with a hot dough is crucial to the texture of the gnocchi. Now I have gnocchi on my mind. Might have to go buy some potatoes today!!

#19 sillyolbear

sillyolbear
  • VibeTribe
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

I like ricotta gnocchi a little more that potato.
lighter and more fluffy and you can add flavor.
I used to make sundried tomato and scallion
and a yummmie basil.potato gnocchi are
really good pan fried after you boil um

#20 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

my fav. italian place makes 'little pillows of heaven' which are ricotta gnochi...so freaking good