Wax buildup in cat's ears?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

Our 22year old cat Delia seems to have wax buildup in her ears. They feel a little gummy when I rub them on the inside.

She sleeps curled up all the time in front of space heater and I think that is making it worse. Bringing her to vet is not an option as she gets really upset and worked up and I do not want to traumatize her at her age.

She seems uncomfortable - every time I scratch around her ears she tries to scratch it too...

Thoughts?

#2 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,413 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

my only thought is; omg, your cat is 22 years old!?! :shocked:

i would google "cat ear wax removal" for a home remedy :thup:

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

my only thought is; omg, your cat is 22 years old!?! :shocked:

i would google "cat ear wax removal" for a home remedy :thup:

She is 22, beautiful and quite agile I must say!
JP has had her since his senior year of college :heart:

Earlier today she was meowing for attention so I went into the bedroom and sat on the bed to wait for her to come up to receive her attention. She made a flying leap from a foot and a half away and cleared the bed with no problem! ((Delia aka: Boo Boo Kitty))

Sums, I've Googled a bit here and there and it telling me to do what my instincts did which is gently work it out with a tissue or a Q-tip. So, me and delia have a date to watch a movie tonight and work on her ears ;)

#4 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Ok more research has shown me that a good cat ear cleaning solution should be used for best results. Apparently this is a pretty common issue for cats.

I'll call our vet and get a recommendation. :thup:

#5 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,413 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

when i took carlos in the other day the vet mentioned a bit of ear wax. i wonder if it will become a problem for him the future (he is probably not even 2 years old). let me know what you end up using :)

#6 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,613 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

not familiar with that one.

yay! i haven't had to deal with something yet :D

#7 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:17 AM

Well, we did not get the ear cleaner stuff tonight but will definitely get it tomorrow. For tonight we had a good session of ear massaging to move the wax up and out and she was pretty happy with that exercise...I've been using a tissue to remove what is right up around the top for now.

((Delia)) Such a trooper for being a 22 year old kitteh! She's so full of love and wuzzles tonight :heart:

#8 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,413 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

aw :) :heart:

#9 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:35 AM

I forgot to post the vet-recommended ear cleaner....

Derma-Pet broad spectrum cleanser. It was $18 for a 4 oz bottle at the vet.

So far, it works great! I started slow with it, just soaking the corner of a tissue with it and gently pulling the wax up and out of the ear. Once she got comfortable with me messing with the inside of her ear I was able to do the recommended cleaning. Roll the ear back (does not hurt the cat at all) and put a drop or two at the top and let it go into the ear. Then massage it and use a cotton ball to wipe out the wax that comes to the outer side of the ear.

Our Delia is so much happier! She actually purrs when I do it now because she knows it brings relief :heart:

#10 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

:smile::heart:

#11 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,613 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:15 AM

glad she's feeling better :) :heart:

#12 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

:heart:

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,721 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Glad she is feeling better! We do this to Tuna and Henri from time to time. I always joke they get waxy ears from me, their Mama. :funny1:

#14 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Glad she is feeling better! We do this to Tuna and Henri from time to time. I always joke they get waxy ears from me, their Mama. :funny1:

:funny1: