• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SpinSpinNYC

SpinSpinNYC
  • VibeTribe
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

Hi boardies,

Nutritious & I started a record label and our first release comes out next week. We met up with funk legend Duke Williams, ate some dinner, drank tequila and talked mostly about music.

This guy is steeped in rich funk, soul, rock & disco history. Nutritious made some lovely edits for the dancefloor. We are super excited about this project. For your listening pleasure, we are letting everyone hear one of the edits off the EP. Dope Den is running a contest. If you post a comment on the soundcloud link you're entered to win a pair of SOL Republic headphones and a copy of the EP. Enjoy! xo

Listen here: http://soundcloud.co...emes-bermuda-nt

From the forthcoming 6 song EP: Nutritious Presents Duke Williams And The Extremes
EP Worldwide Release 08.14.12
SpinSpinNYC

The sound of Philadelphia met southern soul head on when Duke Williams and the Extremes were signed to Macon, Georgia's Capricorn Records, the label of the Allman Brothers Band, Widespread Panic, Percy Sledge.

With the classy guitar licks of well-known Philadelphia session guitarist T.J. Tindall (you can hear him on Disco Inferno and more) and Duke Williams' Hammond B3 that just MADE you move, the writing and recording team of Duke, TJ and the rest of the Extremes made two hot albums for Capricorn that combined the sound of Philadelphia including famed background singers MFSB with the Memphis Horns in 1973's A Monkey in a Silk Suit is Still A Monkey; and 1974's Fantastic Fedora.

It was the marriage of northern and southern soul: funky, cool, elegant, raw with a pop veneer-- and you can hear it in the cuts featured on the EP, the first two by Duke and TJ and the Extremes, recorded in the 1970's at the legendary Sigma Sound Studio in Philadelphia and "I Can't Wait Till Tomorrow" by Duke Williams and Corey Spags at Global Intelligence Studios in NJ.

Duke's also credited with arrangement of Grace Jones' now prolific rendition of "La Vie en rose" which was produced by Tom Moulton "father of the disco mix".

Enjoy a few Nutritious 'treatments' for the dancefloor as well.

Nutritious Presents Duke Williams And The Extremes
EP Worldwide Release 08.14.12
SpinSpinNYC

#2 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

the rump likes! :thup:

:funny1:

#3 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Good stuff! :thup:

#4 SpinSpinNYC

SpinSpinNYC
  • VibeTribe
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

So glad you're diggin it!

#5 SpinSpinNYC

SpinSpinNYC
  • VibeTribe
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

you'll dig this too

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,409 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Nice, I was really into the whole Philly soul sound back in the 70's :dance:

#7 SpinSpinNYC

SpinSpinNYC
  • VibeTribe
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

so much history there! it's really had a marvelous impact on the music scene there now.

The wiki on Capricorn Records: http://en.wikipedia....pricorn_Records

#8 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Like!!!

#9 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

very cool!!! my 4 year old is shakin' his booty, too!!

#10 SpinSpinNYC

SpinSpinNYC
  • VibeTribe
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

warms my heart!

#11 SpinSpinNYC

SpinSpinNYC
  • VibeTribe
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

BUMP

there's still time to enter to win some headphones and a copy of the EP. Just leave a comment here:
http://soundcloud.co...emes-bermuda-nt

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,423 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

i did! :)

#13 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,843 posts