• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

i'm such a sucker for these internet horror stories about the deadly side effects of rimadyl but my 13 yr old chocolate lab hit crisis mode today. she couldn't stand up and i had to bring the food dish to her so she could eat. she was moaning softly and her hind legs were shaking

i took her to the vet immediately and the dr said that it was severe arthritis. she reassured me that the rimadyl was safe if i monitor her eating/stools and have regular blood tests for her liver function. i feel bad that i didn't start her on this drug earlier. she's an amazing dog and doesn't deserve to suffer.

they also gave me tramadol to give in addition to the rimadyl. i'm hoping for a miracle.

does anyone else use rimadyl for their dog? were the results good?

Posted Image

#2 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

so sorry to hear...we have a great pyrenees who we got from a shelter, no idea how old he is (vet guessed less than 1 when the shelter folks told us he was probably around 2 so now he's around 4) or what could've happened to him but he has a lot of pain in his back and back legs. recently had a bout and our vet put him on rimadyl for 10 days. he actually went from lazy to bouncy in just a few days. but after the dosage was done he was hurting again. a call to the vet and he suggested a daily regime of 1 baby aspirin, 3600 mg of fish oil (3 caps) and 3 glucosamin & chondroitin caps and i've been faithful in giving him the meds every day for a couple weeks now. he is like a puppy, his coat is amazing and he just seems so much happier. i understand your dog is much older but it really has helped. i read that the rimadyl is an nsaid and my sis-in-law is an emergency room nurse says it's a lot like aspirin.

best to you and your buddy, she's a beauty! <3

here's my Max...
Posted Image
<3

#3 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

my miracle didn't come true. she fell seriously ill on friday night in severe pain.

i rushed her to the hospital saturday morning and xrays showed a mass on her spinal cord
and i had to put her down. the options they gave me were all bad.

it's gut-wrenching sad. she was a big part of my life and brought so much joy and happiness.

Posted Image

#4 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

my sympathies to you...so sorry, scarfire. <3

what was her name? just wanted to put a name to her beauty, i've loved many labs...

#5 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

thank you very much mountain mama.

her name was cheddar. she was a rescue so i kept her name. she was born in vermont in november of 1999
just before the turn of the century and was named after the famous vermont cheese. she was the sweetest, smartest most athletic dog you might ever meet. she could swim like michael phelps and catch line drives like derek jeter. i learned a lot of valuable life lessons from her. the house feels so empty without her presence. truly heart-breaking.

Posted Image

#6 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

we had a yellow lab called crackers when i was a kid and our neighbors across the street had a black lab named cheddar at the same time. they were buds.

i'm so terribly sorry for your heart-break... i love your description of her! <3 RIP sweetest, smartest cheddar.

love and light to you, scarfire.

#7 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,364 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

So sorry to read this, Scarfire.

It is, to me, an incredible act of love to make that decision, knowing the personal pain and sadness it will bring. You did good by your friend...

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,285 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

(((Scarfire)))

I have no doubt Cheddar enjoyed a wonderful life with you.

Love, Light, Comfort & Inner Peace :heart:

#9 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

:heart:

#10 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

My heart and love go out to you. I still remember losing my red doberman at twelve and I cried for weeks at his memory. We now are enjoying a pit bull-aussie shepherd puppy. It took us fifteen years before we were able to get another dog. Don't wait to long to fill yout heart. Take care and peace and love from Maine Ray

#11 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

(mountain mama)
(Tim the Beek)
(TEO)
(MeOmYo)
(Rayzeeday)

thank you all for your kind words. they really do help the sadness.

i know i will share my life with another dog. but i will wait until i feel like the time is right and that is not now.

#12 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 8,468 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

so sorry :cry:
cheddar was beautiful! thanks for sharing pics :smile:
i am happy to hear that you will rescue another lucky dog and give it a wonderful life like you gave cheddar :heart:

#13 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

thank you tyedyedee :heart: she had many friends - both human and canine

#14 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,245 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

really sorry to hear this Mike, you know i feel for you deeply. Cheddar sounds like an awesome pup, so glad she got to share her life with you. much love always :heart: :heart: :heart:

#15 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

thank you nancy. i know how you feel about your kitties so you understand the loss. :heart:

#16 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,245 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

i do, i do. and so very recently too :heart: