"Luv yuuuuuuuu" (semi schmoop content)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fin_fang_foom

fin_fang_foom
  • VibeTribe
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

My Mom died last July and we inherited her African Grey parrot (we already had a Blue Streaked Lory and Goffins Cockatoo so we are bird lovers) and every morning when I come downstairs I am greeted with a "Luv yuuuuuuu" in my Mom's voice. It's a little freaky but really awesome - she also talks up a storm and whistles like crazy, but the thing that sticks out is my morning greeting. She also does it when we are about to go out the door, so there is a little associative thing going on there - she really is one super intelligent bird.

Spidergawd, Karen and Lazy Lightning's hubby Tyler can attest.

Thought I would share with you folks cause it's kinda special to me.

#2 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,661 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ive never really spent any time with a parrot. It's a great story, thanks for sharing

One thing I've been told is you should train your parrot to say "help I've been turned into a parrot"

#3 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,832 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

That is awesome! :heart:

#4 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

That is beautiful. I do believe too that our spirits can live on in animals.

Thank u for sharing that.

#5 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

Mitch said that the last time I was over there... So cute!

I think I still like Scarlett with her silverware sounds best of all, tho! :mrgreen:

#6 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,639 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

i would love to get a bird but ophelia would eat it first chance she got :lol:

and plus, they live far too long...i am old already and i have no kids to pass it along to...:dunno:

maybe i should find an older bird needing a home...:huh:

that is an awesome story :clapping: :heart:

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

cool story! :)

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

:smile:

#9 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

Congrats on enjoying your African Grey! I had one that cursed like a sailor...no clue where he got that from. Sort of cute how he used words in perfect context, if he dropped his pizza crust "ah fuck" would come out of his beek. Not so cute when he wanted attention at 3 in the morning and would imitate the smoke alarm, cell phones, house phones, running water or whatever to wake me up. Sadly enough I forgot one spring to clip his feathers and he got wet helping me wash my car....got scared and flew away. Be sure to clip those feathers in you take your grey for walks and such....or have him fly my way :bigsmile:

Also, is your grey a congo (bright red tail) or timney (dull purplish colored tail)?

#10 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

Luv yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Gosh that bird's 'luv yuuuuuuuuuu' is forever burned in my brain (in a good way) So beautiful!

(((Joel and his mom's birds)))

#11 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Sharing is cool <3

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,091 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Great story! :)

#13 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

My personal fav is the smoke detector imitation. Scared the shit out of me the first time. :funny1:

#14 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

so sweet! <3 i'd give much to hear my Moms voice sayin that... (((Moms)))

#15 fin_fang_foom

fin_fang_foom
  • VibeTribe
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Congrats on enjoying your African Grey! I had one that cursed like a sailor...no clue where he got that from. Sort of cute how he used words in perfect context, if he dropped his pizza crust "ah fuck" would come out of his beek. Not so cute when he wanted attention at 3 in the morning and would imitate the smoke alarm, cell phones, house phones, running water or whatever to wake me up. Sadly enough I forgot one spring to clip his feathers and he got wet helping me wash my car....got scared and flew away. Be sure to clip those feathers in you take your grey for walks and such....or have him fly my way :bigsmile:

Also, is your grey a congo (bright red tail) or timney (dull purplish colored tail)?

She's a congo for sure. My moved lived about 5 hours away in PA (from the Cap Dist in NY), and with her decline in the last few years, the bird's physical activities went into decline as well. She's slowly getting back in better physical condition, but there have been no flying attempts. We do let her out frequently as she loves to climb down and explore the house - this is fine with us, but if we are not quick, our molding suffers (loves to chew the wood). No outside ventures as of yet. Her vocabulary besides my greeting consists of:

"What's for supper?" "Are you cold?" "I love you so cold." etc. etc. along with sounds like the smoke detector (as Spidergawd mentioned), the gurgling of the sink, whislting the dah dah dum dah dum <-- like at baseball games in which we yell "CHARGE!" afterwards. She almost has the Guyute whistling part down now. She also carries on a one way conversation when the phone rings complete with "hello" and repeating phone numbers. She's quite the rockstar.

We were a little nervous of her adjustment since she had been with my Mom 20 years, and while I had been around her a bunch in the early days, birds can be quite neurotic and can get to self-mutilating with feather plucking etc.. She's doing fine, though.

#16 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,710 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

What is her name?

Teach her to whistle the theme song from The Andy Griffith Show.
The smart ones pick that one up pretty darn quick.

#17 fin_fang_foom

fin_fang_foom
  • VibeTribe
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

What is her name?

Teach her to whistle the theme song from The Andy Griffith Show.
The smart ones pick that one up pretty darn quick.

Well, my Mom thought she was a boy for a long time, so it was Mitchel... then about 10 years ago she dropped "him" off at our house and she got to hang with our Cockatoo, and low and behold she laid an egg. Now, it's Mitchelle - or usually just plain Mitch.

#18 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,056 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

anything associated with MOM can be schmoopie as you want! :heart:

thanks for sharing this