RIP Vibes MC Mike Potashnick

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#101 vegas

vegas
  • VibeTribe
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

please don't forget Mike's great work with the SoNo Arts Celebration for many years, he practically kept the festival alive in the late 1990's-early 2000's

www.sonoarts.org

and personally, he accompanied my date to GOTV ILCC in 2006, and his actions on the drive up saved me much grief at the Vibes that year . . . RIP way before his time :cry:

#102 katmama

katmama
  • VibeTribe
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

:heart: :heart: :heart:

#103 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

:heart::heart::heart:

#104 BigMamaBlueberry

BigMamaBlueberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

I am shocked beyond belief and full of sadness. Mike P. was one of my very favorite GOTV people and I loved him dearly. He was such a wonderful character and we were truly luckly to have had him.

RIP Michael, you'll always be remembered and cherished :cry1:

#105 Shazzam

Shazzam
  • VibeTribe
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:10 AM

Now come on heaven, let's give a warm, gathering of the vibes welcome to Mike P! Another friend who's been with us from the get go!

I'll never forget his voice....

See you there, thanks for the memories! :rose:

#106 Leda

Leda

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

{{{{{BigMamaBlueberry}}}}}

#107 BAKD

BAKD
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

I remember Mike,he was the the good voice for those guys:heart:
BE well ,in the next one:smile:
.what bad time for us all.

#108 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

{{{{{BigMamaBlueberry}}}}}

#109 Les fermour

Les fermour
  • VibeTribe
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

One more time . . . Show some :heart:

Utter shock & bewilderment at the processing of this solemn news:eek:
Mike was always a piece of the puzzle that fit together to form the whole of Vibes. You never know when . . . you just never know

{{{Thank You Mike P. For The Memories}}}

#110 kindm-s

kindm-s
  • VibeTribe
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

We haven't checked in on the board in a while only to find this terrible news waiting for us.

I met Mike through the Terrapin Family many years ago. He was just one of those people who knew how to make others feel welcome. He was kind enough to take my favorite person in the world under his wing at Terrapin. Through Kim I got to know Mike pretty well. He was always one of the first people we would find onsite. Thinking back on all the really fun times we have shared over the years makes posting this Extremely difficult. It seems just like yesterday we were zooming through Bridgeport in a golf cart laughing and having a blast. He was a great co-pilot.

RIP Mike you really held a very special place in our hearts. May your bean boots always stay dry.

#111 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,949 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

:heart: ((y'all)) :heart:

#112 Bob K

Bob K

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

May your bean boots always stay dry.

I love this.

#113 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Not official yet but I heard there's going to be a gathering at the Flynn Theater in Burlington the afternoon of 2/13. :heart:

#114 dannydonx

dannydonx
  • VibeTribe
  • 104 posts
  • LocationNorth Bergen, NJ

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

R.I.P MAN....

#115 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

This announcement was on his FB page - A Celebration of the life of Michael J. "Mike P." Potashnick will be held Sunday, February 13, 2-5pm at the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts in Burlington, VT. Please submit your photos, video, sound clips and stories. See link for parameters on submissions. We hope to see you there! Link for photos - http://www.atomicpro....com/mikep.html

I understand there will also be one in CT, tho that has not been announced yet.

#116 DJ Easy Wind

DJ Easy Wind
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

:cry1: This is very sad. I never knew Mike, except as the warm and Booming voice of the Vibes. He was a great MC, who got the most out of the crowd, and I'm sure he was a great person! I didn't recognize his name in this thread title though, and I'm sure if it said "RIP Vibes MC Mike Potashnick" had passed away, I'll bet this thread would be even more overflowing with heartfelt condolences...

Much Love and Prayers to his Friends and Family...:heart:

#117 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

http://www.lcmfestiv...ike-p-memorial/

Here is the press release

#118 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,801 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

I didn't recognize his name in this thread title though, and I'm sure if it said "RIP Vibes MC Mike Potashnick" had passed away, I'll bet this thread would be even more overflowing with heartfelt condolences...

Hi VibeGawdz,
This poster has a good suggestion. Can you change the thread subject to "RIP Vibes MC Mike Potashnick"? Please?
KTHNKXBAI IASW

#119 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi VibeGawdz,
This poster has a good suggestion. Can you change the thread subject to "RIP Vibes MC Mike Potashnick"? Please?
KTHNKXBAI IASW

done,
jim

#120 dudeontour

dudeontour
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Hey Tribe,

This is really hard. I fear I might not express myself well enough to describe the sadness or true loss I feel, but I cannot sit here idle and not share some insights I feel I have into a great guy. Some insight others might not have known or seen. I know Mike touched a lot of lives and I wanted to let you know how he affected mine.

Mike was one of the first people I worked with in the world of production.
He was always inspiring and friendly. Always ready to lend a hand. He was an incredible soul, a teacher, a friend and a positive force in the universe.

He might be remembered to many as the voice of the vibes, but to me, for many years, he was the heart of it. This is not to say that any of the other hard working people at the Vibes (way too many to list actually) are not in their own way just as much a force to the success of the Vibes, just that Mike was someone I worked directly with most of the days I spent there and his presence was always felt. He made a great thing even better.

Mike wasn't just the MC, for years he was the Production Manager. Not many people really understand what it takes for a festival (or any production event) to really happen. As the PM, sure, he could've been a hard ass and yelled at people all day to keep to a schedule. After all, there is so much to get done. Setting up, pre show, staging, dealing with artists and their touring personnel, show times, CUT OFF times, tearing down, etc. all of this in the hot sun(well most years)

#121 Bob K

Bob K

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for writing this E!. It is pretty spot-on and echoes a lot of the feelings I have that I haven't been able to put into words.

#122 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

So I am a week behind, and so sad to hear this. We all "knew" Mike by the kind words he spread from the stage.
The between set breaks will seem awfully strange without him.
Peace and light to you Mike!
Love and "Sweeter Memories" to his friends and family.

There's a cloud in the sky and it's raining on you
Still you try to keep dry but your troubles leak through
And you've lost all you could, feeling sad
Choose your reveries
Keep the good, leave the bad
Take a few of these,
the sweeter memories
Don't forget them please, the sweeter memories

To set your mind at ease, the truest remedies
Are the sweeter memories

There's a life full of pain and a life full of glee
So you see that the rain doesn't mean much to me
For I know that it pays making light of living's tragedies
Make your days be as bright
Take a few of these, the sweeter memories (T. Rundgren)

#123 Leda

Leda

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Beautifully written tribute, E! Thanks!

You best make it out to Vibes this summer! It's not the same when you're not there :heart:

#124 imjoyful_47

imjoyful_47
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hey there,
I signed in to check the date for the 2011 Vibes, saw the notice "In Loving Memory: Michael J. Potashnick" and was blown away. With some internet searching I discovered it was indeed the gent I knew in the late 70's/early 80's from my time on stage @ Neshaminy HS (Guys & Dolls - he did set design, one of his first paying jobs) and @ Washington Crossing Open Air Theatre (Pippin).... and the same handsome gent who dated two of my friends!) I had not thought of him in decades and had no idea he was the voice behind Vibes or the mover behind Terrapin Presents. Wow, what a small world. Prayers for safe passage to Michael & vibes of comfort to his family & friends are being sent from Bucks County, PA. Thanks for the memories!
Joy

Edited by imjoyful_47, 23 January 2011 - 09:24 AM.
spelling

#125 ronihart

ronihart
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:39 AM

Mike P was one of the funniest and kindest people I've ever met. He was larger than life...with that unmistakable gravelly laugh, booming voice, always rockin' those rubber boots and a cigarette in his hand...he always had a bear hug to lift your spirits or crack your back. He had a giant heart for everyone, especially his friends. I'll never forget my sister and I getting a personal wake up call from him from the mainstage at GOTV! Let's celebrate his life by celebrating ours, and always remembering how he touched our lives with his own :)

"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

#126 Bob K

Bob K

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

:heart::heart::heart:

Thanks for posting that. I'll never forget that wake up call too -- hilarious!

#127 Leda

Leda

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

Small world, imjoyful_47 - I guess Mike P is *still* bringing people together.

Welcome to the Vibes Message Board Family.

:heart:

#128 PennsylvaniaPete

PennsylvaniaPete
  • VibeTribe
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Just goes to show, you never know. :heart:

#129 thegoodwife

thegoodwife
  • VibeTribe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

met big mike in 09. was instantly enveloped in giant hug and he laughed hysterical 'cause I was in shock [first time at the big show]. felt wonderful and he had a big smile for me and a wave (when his hands weren't full of something going from here to there) whenever i saw him. so sorry to hear he won't be there for us this year. need more people like him.

#130 I MAN

I MAN
  • VibeTribe
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Geez..........:-/

#131 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

____/)__________./

#132 Bob K

Bob K

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:24 AM

I've been missing Mike a lot this summer and just came back to read some of these tributes. He really did touch so many lives. Made me feel good to look through here and see how highly everyone thought of him. Gonna miss you at the vibes Mike :heart:

#133 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

Mike will definitely be missed :heart:

#134 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

:heart: