Photo
- - - - -

**The Un-Official -- Bring the Vibes back to Seaside Park for another 5+ years . . . PLEASE!!! (Thread/Petition)**

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

i love having the sound there for the breeze and vistas
i love the trees even if they are full of noisy parrots
i love that its at the point where ken has the details so dialed in that we have to think hard about what was bad about the fest
i love that its somewhere people can easily commute to without a car
i love that its really centrally located to so many of us
i love that we can help out bridgeport and the firefighters families and the kids of bridgeport

i will follow vibes no matter where it leads, but i aint done loving bridgeport yet! :rose:

well that should be the first thing on the petition :clapping:

#52 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't know how anyone from the city of Bridgeport can have any complaints about Vibes. The city is a rundown mess. Vibes is, if anything, a boost to their economy. Why don't they clean up the city and start rebuilding?

I heard that undesirable posers in reflective vests directed a lost car full of Vibers down a street, pulled them out of the car, beat them up and stole all their stuff on Wednesday night.

I know we all love Bridgeport, it's excellent bike riding turf & it's also great for people who use wheelchairs. We have the breeze off the sound...the beauty of the sound...the roads are great anti-mud structures and we all know the ins and outs of the park. But at what cost to the safety of our group? There were tons and tons of cops this weekend there for OUR safety. It's a bit creepy IMHO. That they would need that much presence to insure our safety. Don't get me wrong, they were cool and all but it's a bit unnerving that the outside element is THAT bad. I think that has to be one of the major points in deciding whether or not to come back.

#53 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Imma hafta vote for Seaside. Just seems to work well there.

#54 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't know how anyone from the city of Bridgeport can have any complaints about Vibes. The city is a rundown mess. Vibes is, if anything, a boost to their economy. Why don't they clean up the city and start rebuilding?

I heard that undesirable posers in reflective vests directed a lost car full of Vibers down a street, pulled them out of the car, beat them up and stole all their stuff on Wednesday night.

I know we all love Bridgeport, it's excellent bike riding turf & it's also great for people who use wheelchairs. We have the breeze off the sound...the beauty of the sound...the roads are great anti-mud structures and we all know the ins and outs of the park. But at what cost to the safety of our group? There were tons and tons of cops this weekend there for OUR safety. It's a bit creepy IMHO. That they would need that much presence to insure our safety. Don't get me wrong, they were cool and all but it's a bit unnerving that the outside element is THAT bad. I think that has to be one of the major points in deciding whether or not to come back.

Is there anything official on this "undesirable posers in reflective vests" scenerio? Sounds like urban legend to me....
And tons and tons of cops for our safety? safety from the residents of Bridgeport? What? Do you think that hordes of the scary inner city folks are gonna gate crash and kill all the white kids? Could it be that police are there because it is a big crowd?

#55 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

this is a family festival...lotsa kids lotsa parents cops help keep minds at ease and less chance of being shaken down by a private security "firm" and keeps the main areas outside camping from being an all out drug fest...

I know I really don't want folks shootin up next to me on the ferris wheel

cops are only a problem if you're a problem

#56 Jakemass

Jakemass
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationArlington, Ma.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'm intrigued by this crouton lake.

Sounds toasty......

#57 supermansid

supermansid
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

. Why don't they clean up the city and start rebuilding?

Hey, that's a great idea! I can't believe nobody thought of that before. I'm going to immediately call the mayor and suggest it to him. I'm sure that the city will be redeveloped to your liking by next year.

#58 Danimal

Danimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'm down for whatever, if its back in Seaside I'll be there. If it moves somewhere else I'll be there... If it does move I vote for Watkins Glen, its a drive for a lot of people but the grounds were awesome.

#59 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm down for whatever, if its back in Seaside I'll be there. If it moves somewhere else I'll be there... If it does move I vote for Watkins Glen, its a drive for a lot of people but the grounds were awesome.

YES!

Watkin's was really an amazing experience!

#60 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

With my family staying at the Holiday Inn and me at the Vibes... we spent a good amount of time in Bridgeport and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE was more than helpful. We had no issues with the locals and they were as nice as pie. The whole story of Vibers getting beat up, that does not pass the smell test.

#61 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

as near as I can tell this is all politicians looking for more tthen the million +$$$ from Ken & co give every year...if they keep insulting them like in these articles I would not blame ken & co for leaving

#62 chameleon_toothbrush

chameleon_toothbrush
  • VibeTribe
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

moving out of bridgeport will be very difficult for many of us staff members since many of us are local.

#63 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

First of all...there's no need for snarky replies.

The reflective vest story was told to us by security when we were told upon arriving that all traffic had been diverted to one single entrance to avoid anyone getting lost and having issues. We had to detour around and go on I95. Why would someone make up that story?

Second, with all the money Vibes brings in and that Ken donates to the city...I think it's a tad shady on the city officials part to not invest that money back into the city to rebuild it. In fact, they should contract out that park for more festivals to make enough money that the city's residents don't have to feel like they are living in a town that CT forgot about.

The cops we asked said they were there for presence. They were cool and having a good time too. You have been a total ignoramus to believe that all that presence is there just to keep the heavy drugs out. I love Seaside...just sucks that the city it's in is a delopitated mess of a ghetto.

#64 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

fool comments = snarky replies...

#65 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm truthful and to the point. Some people can't handle the truth I suppose.

#66 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

truth I can handle. Like Police being there for a presense. No problem with that. But your suggestion that police were there to protect us from the bad inner city element, nah that's not truth, that is being ignorant.

Story about locals robbing people? Dunno, sounds like an urban legend. Nothing in the local papers about it. Wouldn't be the first time a tall story was told about vibes...
Your statement about why don't they clean up Bridgeport? I guess you never lived in an urban area. Thats where the poor folk live. Ya just can't move em out and build a starbucks and an aborcrombie & fitch.
Is bport a ghetto. Yep sure is. But once inside the gates of seaside park, how much of that do you see? I happen to see a beautiful Olmstead designed park with 20,000 freaks enjoying themselves. Despite the harsh realities beyond the gates.

#67 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Excuse me, I grew up poor my whole friggin' life. In fact, I'm still poor. I revolt against Starbucks and Abercrombie & Fitch so you're placing your own judgments back on to me. You're pulling your condescending attitude on the wrong person.

It is not ignorant to suggest that the cops are there to protect us from the outside element, which I am sure could be a huge part of why there was an increase in numbers from last year. Would you like to camp there without the cops? I don't think so. There's something to be said about the environment the park is in and that ALSO includes the air & water pollution factor.

All you are looking for is trouble and someone to bark at. The harsh realities behind the gates are exactly that, REALITY like I've said.

Looks like you have a case of the "holier than thou's" and I'm not playing. I said my peace. Twist and turn it into whatever you want.Posted Image

#68 freshwater dan

freshwater dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

I also like Seaside Park. It's different from all other festivals, especially with the beach and the paved roads for biking and skateboarding. I also like being somewhere accessible by Metro North and/or Amtrak.

#69 GratefulSteve

GratefulSteve
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

I too am also torn about this. I love the setting and convenience of Seaside Park, as well as the availability of shaded camping that a park setting provides. But I am weary of the urban setting and the issues/concerns/costs that come with that. I also seem to be affected each year by the air quality there. I don't smoke (anything - cigs or other), but I come out of there each year feeling like I just smoked a carton of cigarettes. This year seemed particularly bad. I've heard from a few others that have concerns about this or at least about having respiratory illnesses following the Vibes. I feel like a more rural setting away from the factories of Southern CT would help with that.

Is there any place large-enough in rural Northwestern CT or the adjacent NY counties that would work? I don't really like the idea of moving it all the way out to Watkins Glen or back to ILCC.

That said, I will continue to go if it's at Seaside Park. The pros of Seaside still outweigh the cons for me.

Air quality is naturally great at the shore.....cigarette smoke was the primary polutant. ...that's what negatively affected the air quality...

#70 GratefulSteve

GratefulSteve
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

I love Vibes at Seaside Park...great setting, cooling breezes, Long Island Sound, easy to get to....please keep Vibes at Seaside Park....July 18th-21st 2013?

#71 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Air quality is naturally great at the shore.....cigarette smoke was the primary polutant. ...that's what negatively affected the air quality...

Then how do you explain me having these respiratory issues on Wednesday afternoon before the gates even opened?

I'm no scientist - but this thing must have a lot to do with the air quality in seaside park -> http://maps.google.c...009055&t=h&z=17

A massive trash incineration plant merely yards from Seaside Park is likely to affect the air quality in the immediate area.

Also: http://www.environme...ues/asthma.html

Finally - I contest your theory that air quality is better at the shore. Whenever we have high-ozone, poor air quality days here in Maine, it's usually worst near the shore.

#72 VSCT

VSCT
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Love vibes at seaside park. bring it back!

#73 INarvi

INarvi
  • VibeTribe
  • 108 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

This year was my first Vibes and first festival so I have no frame of reference.That said, I really loved Seaside. Having the beach right next to the Green Vibes Stage made for a spectacular stetting.

#74 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

You have been a total ignoramus to believe that all that presence is there just to keep the heavy drugs out. I love Seaside...just sucks that the city it's in is a delopitated mess of a ghetto.

Huh. Guess I'm an ignoramus. As I recall, the increased police presence began in 2010 in response to a very real, very disheartening problem with gas and the crap which goes along with it.

#75 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Meh.

#76 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Meh.

:nulo:

#77 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

Other than being on the beach 10 miles from my home, what good is it?

#78 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,544 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

Less than 5 miles from Tabbooma's house, lots of infrastucture already in place, large population around willing to buy day tickest and spend money and parrots ;)

#79 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

being on the beach 90 minutes from my house and about 15 minutes from my friends' house :smile:

if they move it upstate NY or anywhere else...the prices will be the same and 10 hours to get in...so why change?

#80 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:29 AM

The answer to this question is the same for many questions.... It's all about the benjamins.
Bottom line, if they can make a better bottom line somewhere else, it will be somewhere else.

#81 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

keep it in Bpt...think of the children

the children :heart:

#82 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:48 AM

keep it in Bpt...think of the children

the children :heart:

If it's not in Bridgeport I can't go, and I won't have to worry about my children.

#83 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:13 AM

If it's not in Bridgeport I can't go, and I won't have to worry about my children.

then it's settled then...Bridgeport it is!

besides...who'll interview Ken :smile:

#84 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

Prolly the douchebags at WPLR. Prolly.

#85 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

:lmao:

#86 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Prolly the douchebags at WPLR. Prolly.

:lmao:

:funny1:

...on rainy days I get their station on the south shore of LI...

but they're still douchebags :joker:

:wink:

#87 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

In all seriousity, I think Seaside is a beautiful location. I love being on the shore. :smile:

#88 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Well it's certainly no Hampton Beach, that's fer sure.

#89 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,623 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

thank GOD! :shocked:

#90 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,889 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

That's what's missing from Vibes—fried dough and water slides! Bush league festy.

:iasw:

#91 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,327 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

Personally I love Seaside for the Vibes. The past 2 years they really have their act together and the festival ran smoothly. I would hate to have to start over with all of the kinks at a new venue. I would like some new food vendors, a misting tent if the weather is hot and definitely a farmers market.

#92 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,647 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thread should be titled I like my reserved camping area or don't want to drive far to the Vibes.

#93 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thread should be titled I like my reserved camping area or don't want to drive far to the Vibes.

Lots of love for Seaside Park in this thread...but yeah, the majority of people here seem to like the closeness of Bridgeport. I have not been to Vibes @ Bridgeport, but I have been to festivals in urban areas and rural places, and Ill take rural every time.

I think that it is the proximity and easy travel that compensates for the ghetto locale, people can rationalize away the fact that they are in Bridgeport. eh, so many other wonderful locations. Especially if the city keeps trying to extort the organization.

Also, change is always good. Switching it up can only shake up the energy, and perhaps encourage NEW VIBERS (like me) that choose other, less urban festivals over Vibes. I live in NJ, I like to GO AWAY from the city and see stars and animals and camp! Setting up in the middle of Bridgeport CT for a weekend has never sold me thus far.

just my 2 pennies

#94 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

boo-hiss...boo-hiss

hit up the other 10,000 festivals in the woods mister! :tapfoot:

#95 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,544 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Horsepucky, Tabbooma goes to festivals all over the country and seaside is the nicest with the huge oaks, water and great layout.. Tabbooma is just lucky it is close by, Live Oak in Florida is the best run... Maybe one should attend seaside before naysaying ;) and the vibes will be back in Bridgeport. Tabbooma has spoken

#96 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

Actually, I like the Vibes where it is and if they moved it back it would be in my backyard, and yet, I'd rather drive to Bridgeport for the Vibes.

#97 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,047 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Actually, I like the Vibes where it is and if they moved it back it would be in my backyard, and yet, I'd rather drive to Bridgeport for the Vibes.

this^^^^...wouldn't want wooks in my backyard...that would just be creepy

#98 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

RE: air quality.
Incinerator plant. Mid-sized city. Busy interstate less than a mile from venue. New York City right across the pond.
Is it really a mystery why it's hard to breathe? I cant even have windows down driving there.

RE: Seaside.
Dig it. It offers a unique atmosphere that few festivals can. Other than a light pollution-free location on a mountain top...
Like others have said, I like the music, but the location sells me. Otherwise I'd not bother. I have plenty of woods parties where I live, and for substantially less $.
Remain in Bridgeport

And, uhhh, please bring Ozric Tentacles.

#99 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

10/15/2012

Also addressing the council was Ken Hays, whose contract to run the Gathering of the Vibes summer concert in Seaside Park is up for renewal. Hays said he submitted a new five-year contract offering $50,000 a year, an increase of $10,000 annually, for renting a portion of Seaside Park for his four-day music festival.

Hays said the city's Park Board approved the contract recently.

Read more: http://www.ctpost.co...p#ixzz29f1RVjcn

#100 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,623 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

that is great news, imho :ura1:

i will be excited to be back home :rose: