Photo
- - - - -

**The Un-Official -- Bring the Vibes back to Seaside Park for another 5+ years . . . PLEASE!!! (Thread/Petition)**

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Les fermour

Les fermour
  • VibeTribe
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Everyone I spoke to over the week expressed with great emotion the desire to have the Vibes remain in Seaside Park for at least another 5+ years :heart:

If you agree, please let your thoughts be known below. Keep the Vibe ALIVE!!

#2 gdradio

gdradio
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

signed

but i understand that money talks

#3 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I am torn, while I :heart: seaside park, I would also like to see it go somewhere less urban like ILCC (i know the lines, the rain, the yadda yadda but I always had an amazing experience there).

I know Watkins Glen is HUGE and probably WAY TOOOO expensive, but SBIX was fantastic there. Tons of showers, lots of camping several ways in and out....again just my 0.02

#4 supermansid

supermansid
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

The beautiful setting of Seaside Park is the best thing that the Vibes has going for it. In the fields of upstate New York it is just another festival.

None of the people that I go with will be going back upstate, if that's where it goes.

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Within reason, I will go where the festival is, as long as our family is gonna be there.

Would like to see it stay at Seaside...they really seem to have nailed down how to make the venue work!

#6 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 402 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I would love to see Vibes go back to ILCC. I think it is better suited outside of a city.
:)
(but I will attend if it stays in CT also)

#7 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'd like to see it remain at Seaside. It's a beautiful location and they have most aspects dialed in nicely after returning there in '07. Move to another venue and it's just another festival in a field. And you need to redo all the logistics all over again, which ultimately leads to longer lines and more complaints the first few years. I hope Vibes and Bridgeport can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement so we can stay there :)

#8 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 424 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

I too am also torn about this. I love the setting and convenience of Seaside Park, as well as the availability of shaded camping that a park setting provides. But I am weary of the urban setting and the issues/concerns/costs that come with that. I also seem to be affected each year by the air quality there. I don't smoke (anything - cigs or other), but I come out of there each year feeling like I just smoked a carton of cigarettes. This year seemed particularly bad. I've heard from a few others that have concerns about this or at least about having respiratory illnesses following the Vibes. I feel like a more rural setting away from the factories of Southern CT would help with that.

Is there any place large-enough in rural Northwestern CT or the adjacent NY counties that would work? I don't really like the idea of moving it all the way out to Watkins Glen or back to ILCC.

That said, I will continue to go if it's at Seaside Park. The pros of Seaside still outweigh the cons for me.

#9 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

CT Post article "Bridgeport and Vibes ask: Is it worth it?" http://www.ctpost.co...3904.php#page-1

I'm undecided too. I honestly didn't like the move back to Bridgeport at first, but the place has indeed grown on me.

#10 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Seaside, or some other ocean-side location, please - I have no desire to swelter in a field in NY, nor deal with rustic facilities.

#11 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

I don't smoke (anything - cigs or other), but I come out of there each year feeling like I just smoked a carton of cigarettes.

Same here, but the problem I find is with everything everyone else is smoking, rather than the air quality itself. The air at Seaside was clear this year, except for at ground level *hack*cough*

#12 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

PLEASE STAY AT SEASIDE. This year's VIBES ran like a well-oiled machine and they have it down to a science at Seaside. To move elsewhere would increase chances of fucking something up and will undoubtably bring up new problems to face. I say Seaside forever.

#13 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 424 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

Same here, but the problem I find is with everything everyone else is smoking, rather than the air quality itself. The air at Seaside was clear this year, except for at ground level *hack*cough*

We got there on Tuesday, and I was dealing with respiratory issues there well before the gates opened. There's a massive trash incineration power plant immediately next to the park. That does not promote good air quality.

#14 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

I like seaside. 3 hour drive, beautiful location. im not too sure I would want some giant field. and 4 hours is my limit for a drive. I love vibes, but I would attend other smaller fests if it moved to watkins glen, or even mariaville. of course money talks,but would they get the crowds if they moved?

#15 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:55 AM

Seaside is a beautiful location which is convenient for me b/c we just take the ferry from Port Jeff and it is, at this point, really well organized logistically. The outside element is a bit shady though. I wouldn't mind if Vibes was moved somewhere else. I've read articles about local businesses being mad b/c we are supposedly gated in and can't come out. First, that they would complain is beyond me: I'm sure any local business profits from us being there. Second, maybe if the town of Bridgeport wasn't such a flat out ghetto, more people would be comfortable leaving the secured area of Vibes. I know, I'm not riding my bike alone through that neighborhood during the day, nevermind once the sun goes down.

Anyone remember Plattsburgh with the go-karts?!?! That was a hike and a half.

Croton on the Hudson was a pretty waterfront venue...I wouldn't mind going back there.

#16 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Croton Point Park
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Jack Straw

Jack Straw
  • VibeTribe
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

of course money talks,but would they get the crowds if they moved?

They'd absolutely take a hit with the day passes, but at the same time they'd pick up more full camping passes from the day pass people that decide that it's "all or nothing". But... If you factor in the possible lower overhead from moving somewhere else, the bottom line would likely improve.

#18 djinn_n_juice

djinn_n_juice
  • VibeTribe
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

I would love to see vibes stay at seaside, love the setting and, as others have said, things are working pretty smoothly there now. As others have also said, the venue is, if not the stringest point, definitely a selling point for vibes. The line-up alone would not have gotten me there this year (it was like someone photocopied the lineup from two years ago and tweaked it where necessary), but I come because it's vibes and because it's at seaside. If relocation is necessary, I would have to check out the new venue and see what charms it had to offer before commiting to going there.

#19 KindRU

KindRU
  • VibeTribe
  • 251 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Seaside is an amazing setting with great history (designed by the dude who did Central Park). I also love that it's in CT - that's how i first learned about it - and right on the Sound: who could ask for a better setting. Not being a huge camper, I love the convenience of the hotel shuttles too.

The air quality could also be local foliage. I know when I first moved here I had some allergy issues that sounded like a smokers' cough.

Seaside Please!!!!!

#20 Ingram

Ingram
  • VibeTribe
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

I love seaside. I don't know if the respiratory issue is seaside. Every other festival (all good, Bonnaroo) I get the same respiratory thing. And I'm from Philly so I'm used to poor air quality. I always assumed it was from inhaling the dust from the fields and walking paths.

#21 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 424 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

The air quality could also be local foliage. I know when I first moved here I had some allergy issues that sounded like a smokers' cough.

It could be part of it. I have hayfever and have been dealing with really bad allergies up here in Maine this year. Up here I've been dealing with a lot of sinus and nose related allergy symptoms, so perhaps the pollen from the grass and foliage down there creates a different allergic reaction is me. Every year since 2007 I've had the same respiratory issues at Seaside (and again, I don't smoke anything, am only 33 and am in decent health).

That said, I do still think the air pollution is heavier in Southwestern CT than it is in other places in the Northeast and even CT. I could definitely smell, taste and feel it compared to what I'm used to up here in Maine. It's blind to think having a massive trash incinerator right next to the park isn't affecting the air quality. Those from the area may be used to it, but those not from the area like myself are more affected by it.

I think a return to Croton Point Park would be ideal. It's bigger than Seaside Park (508 acres vs. 375 acres), still a beautiful setting located on water, not adjacent to a questionable urban neighborhood, not adjacent to a massive trash incinerator, surrounded by water on three sides (thus making logistics and security easier - less fencing and less staff needed), directly adjacent to commuter rail and Amtrak, and only about an hour from Seaside Park.

The major question - are Westchester County officials willing or able to give up this park for a week in the middle of the summer to what is now a larger festival than it was in 1997 when the Vibes was originally there? I don't know or even want to speculate the answer to that.

#22 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 424 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I love seaside. I don't know if the respiratory issue is seaside. Every other festival (all good, Bonnaroo) I get the same respiratory thing. And I'm from Philly so I'm used to poor air quality. I always assumed it was from inhaling the dust from the fields and walking paths.

Yeah, but like I said, I always get there early on Tuesday or Wednesday before the gates even open and the dust gets majorly stirred up, and my respiratory issues usually start by midday on Wednesday.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Maine air? :lol:

#23 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Seaside = good
I like Croton Park but then I could just walk there or push my bus in if it broke down on the way...
Croton has a train staion that goes basically right into it. Would bring NYC peeps up easily too.

I understand moving a festival is a pain because its all new agian to not only the staff but the patrons.

Tick tock

#24 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,017 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Seaside, or some other ocean-side location, please - I have no desire to swelter in a field in NY, nor deal with rustic facilities.

I know a nice place in New Hampshire. :cheesy:

#25 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

NYC has had numerous air quality alert days this month. I wouldn't be surprised if the water across the sound was that much different. I know I'm from NJ and I can feel the difference between my burb and the city....but I also feel it at home more then when i'm totally away from the area.

#26 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

I know a nice place in New Hampshire. :cheesy:

I like New Hampshire! :D

#27 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Seaside Please... :) Tabbooma will go where ever the Vibes goes but no way will they get the same day and VIP sales elsewhere.

#28 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

I'm torn. I love that its such a short drive for us now (only about 90 minutes) and over the past 5 years they've really gotten it it running well at Seaside. But I'll admit to enjoying a more rural location for a festival. I work in Manhattan and live about 20 miles outside of NYC, so its nice to be able to get away from all that.

I'll go wherever Vibes goes and its not like I'm saying I don't like Seaside. There are a lot of things I really like about the place. Any way we can just pick up the entire park & move it somewhere a little less urban? :lol:

#29 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,092 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Seaside Please... :) Tabbooma will go where ever the Vibes goes but no way will they get the same day and VIP sales elsewhere.

This is an excellent point :thup:

#30 UnionAve

UnionAve
  • VibeTribe
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

I drove out of Seaside Park Sunday night around 8:30 and made my way over to Route 25 for the trip home. As soon as I was on the highway I started looking around. To my astonishment, I was seeing familiar landmarks. That's when it suddenly dawned on me. "Wait a minute. I'm in Bridgeport?" In other words, Seaside Park during the Vibes is so far removed from being an "urban setting" that Bridgeport might as well be on another planet. When I'm there I completely forget that there's a city out there beyond the fence.
The Vibes are the best 4 days of the year. However, Seaside Park is a big part of what makes it so special. How many festivals can boast that the walk from the parking lot is almost as good as the show itself? Every morning I looked forward to making that walk from the campground to the festival grounds along the long road that runs by the water, feeling the ocean breeze and smiling back at the girls that look my way. I can't imagine that walking across a field in upstate New York will hold the same allure.

#31 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

I can't imagine that walking across a field in upstate New York will hold the same allure.

It does if you're walkin' right! ;)

#32 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

Croton has more shade. It's not as hot. Last time Vibes was there, there was a ginormous bonfire at night. It was a cool place and not very far to walk anywhere.

#33 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,829 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

meh we can move or stay. I don't mind moving. I'm getting sick of going to the same 3 places every summer. ILCC, KeeWanee and Seaside . of the 3 I'd give up seaside first.

#34 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Maine air? :lol:

Last summer my first visit to maine I noticed a huge difference in air quality. You people breath that stuff all the time? So lucky.

#35 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

Croton has more shade. It's not as hot. Last time Vibes was there, there was a ginormous bonfire at night. It was a cool place and not very far to walk anywhere.

Croton is a beautiful place. Last time Vibes was there it was probably the size of Clearwater - i.e.,well less than 7k. I love that park, but ingress/egress could be a serious issue with a 20k+ crowd. There's basically 1 road in and out. And, I'm guessing, the cost to hold it there would certainly be substantial. Not opposed to it, but think that it is logistically and financially unrealistic and has already been take off the table as an option.

#36 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'm intrigued by this crouton lake.

#37 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

True. There is one very long road...that's why they should offer "green" tickets at a discount to people who take public transportation. ;P

I know, I know...it's as fruitless as my requests (begging) to see Dylan at Vibes.

#38 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Let's just cut to the chase, can we have Vibes in my backyard? It would be super convenient for me. :funny1:

#39 charrity

charrity

• VibeTribe
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have to admit - I was not expecting much from Seaside Park - but it was really great. CT does not have much...The Vibes seems to have "perfected" having the festival in Bridgeport...So many happy people! I hope it remains where it is.

Thanks to all involved.

#40 kaylierose

kaylierose
  • VibeTribe
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

vibes at seaside! we aren't leaving!

#41 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Would prefer a more rural setting closer to Mass but I'll "suffer" with Seaside.

It'll suck having to re-establish all the logistics of a new location seeing as they seem to have finally worked everything out.

Que sera, sera

#42 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,434 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

SEASIDE OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!

#43 Orpheus

Orpheus
  • VibeTribe
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

IMO: 2012 was best Vibes in a long time. Bpt. ain't so bad.

#44 Les fermour

Les fermour
  • VibeTribe
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thank You All for your views, support, & comments! Please keep them coming! We are listening!

#45 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,153 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

keep it in the BPT...awesome venue. and logistically they got a sweet system going, as someone mentioned...it ain't broken let's not try and fix it

CT Post article "Bridgeport and Vibes ask: Is it worth it?" http://www.ctpost.co...3904.php#page-1 I'm undecided too. I honestly didn't like the move back to Bridgeport at first, but the place has indeed grown on me.

it seems like the politicians aren't getting hold of any of the monies personally and are looking for personal gain rather than the good of the community

#46 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

I like Seaside. Every other fest I go to is in the woods. So I like the change of scenery.

But with that said I wouldn't be shelling out money above and beyond of what other venues cost. Ken and Vibes have done some nice things for B-Port so I hope they take that into consideration for the next contract

#47 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,048 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

if the issue is cost, Croton doesn't make sense. it is not the venue cost, but related labor cost. that would not be reduced in Croton.

keep it at seaside.

#48 Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn
  • VibeTribe
  • 688 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, CT

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

We LOVE Seaside park - now that hubby has to use a wheelchair - it is perfect at SS park - and as someone above said - its great on the ocean - in the woods it's just another festy.......stay at Seaside park please!

#49 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Let's go back to Red Hook.

My name is mud. ;P

"Batten down the hatches folks!"

#50 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,791 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

i love having the sound there for the breeze and vistas
i love the trees even if they are full of noisy parrots
i love that its at the point where ken has the details so dialed in that we have to think hard about what was bad about the fest
i love that its somewhere people can easily commute to without a car
i love that its really centrally located to so many of us
i love that we can help out bridgeport and the firefighters families and the kids of bridgeport

i will follow vibes no matter where it leads, but i aint done loving bridgeport yet! :rose: