Photo

Sio, almost four years to the date of my adventure in looking for a new job...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

my wife crotchets cock socks. BrotherJason is a proud owner

#102 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

my wife crotchets cock socks. BrotherJason is a proud owner

How does one keep it from falling off?

#103 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Interestingly, i get a new call today from a recruiter regarding another position in my field. This time, they pulled the bachelor degree card. Which is fine, I dont have that. But I can tell anyone, as I told this recruiter, that a piece of paper does not make one qualified to do this job. it takes years of experience and know how in the field to understand in inner workings of commercial building real estate in the metro area.

People are goign to have to come around to the idea that a piece of school papaer is not the end all in knowledge in fields like mine. In fact, it probably wont mean shit. I have highly educated people here that can not find light switches. So if that is the criteria base, good luck on finding competent management in my field.

#104 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

When I was hiring my own staff, the first thing I looked at was personality and the ability to fit in with me and my current team.
Then came experience.
And way down the list was certs and diplomas.

I've always felt that job skills can be taught. Aptitude and attitude cannot.

You're angle is your experience. Make it also your attitude and you'll be in business.

#105 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Law firms see things backwards. They want to see where you went to school, then how you dress, then whether you can complete a sentence or a find a light switch.

#106 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,385 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

I believe you are capable of doing anything you Want, Dave.. :D

#107 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,014 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Interestingly, i get a new call today from a recruiter regarding another position in my field. This time, they pulled the bachelor degree card. Which is fine, I dont have that. But I can tell anyone, as I told this recruiter, that a piece of paper does not make one qualified to do this job. it takes years of experience and know how in the field to understand in inner workings of commercial building real estate in the metro area.

People are goign to have to come around to the idea that a piece of school papaer is not the end all in knowledge in fields like mine. In fact, it probably wont mean shit. I have highly educated people here that can not find light switches. So if that is the criteria base, good luck on finding competent management in my field.

I think college degrees are highly over-rated

#108 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

Easy to say if you have one (I mean that in the nicest way possible).

Degrees are important! I opted out from an outstanding school (Ithaca College with possible entry into Cornell after the first year). I was not ready and my mom was forcing me to do the paperwork, still was accepted to IC. I thought it was best (oh teen Kris, how I love you) to "do my thing" at that time after my first semester.

I apprenticed in the art field and have been self employed for fifteen years as a conservational picture framer, almost got the gig for NBMofA recently. However this economy BLOWS!!! I hope to not put myself in this position again by trusting our fearless leaders so I am contemplating going back. I have gone back to school in the past for my amusement only, could be the real deal now. Like your beloved, I am considering the nursing degree. They make f-ing 90k/yr out here with bennies!

#109 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,650 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Then what am I breaking my ass for?

#110 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

Unless they're Ivy League

:D

(seriously, it depends on the position)

#111 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,889 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:59 AM

Absolutely, unfortunately many employers prefer to read about the degrees rather than experience, skills, ability, personality, integrity, etc...

#112 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,846 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

TASB have you ever considerred looking for a facilities management position with a school?. There are tons of independent schools in NY. May be more of the environment you are looking for

#113 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,429 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:57 AM

When I was hiring my own staff, the first thing I looked at was personality and the ability to fit in with me and my current team.
Then came experience.
And way down the list was certs and diplomas.

This.

If I interview someone who is young (under 30 or so, not that number specifically) OR just right out of college with no experience, I do ask/care about degree, etc. If I interview someone who has been working for a few years and they have an MBA, it does not matter much to me....I want to know what they have done, how they did it, etc. Degree does not matter at that point... Experience and proven ability to achieve is what moves me to hire someone :thup:

#114 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 33,650 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

I'm pursuing a degree in a specific discipline though...

#115 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,846 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

I'm pursuing a degree in a specific discipline though...

The danger in that, as I have learned, is if there is a job shortage in said discipline and you apply for other jobs people ignore you because they think you should be working in the discipline that you have your degree in, where as stated before there are no jobs :joker: :lol:

#116 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Easy to say if you have one (I mean that in the nicest way possible).

Degrees are important! I opted out from an outstanding school (Ithaca College with possible entry into Cornell after the first year). I was not ready and my mom was forcing me to do the paperwork, still was accepted to IC. I thought it was best (oh teen Kris, how I love you) to "do my thing" at that time after my first semester.

I apprenticed in the art field and have been self employed for fifteen years as a conservational picture framer, almost got the gig for NBMofA recently. However this economy BLOWS!!! I hope to not put myself in this position again by trusting our fearless leaders so I am contemplating going back. I have gone back to school in the past for my amusement only, could be the real deal now. Like your beloved, I am considering the nursing degree. They make f-ing 90k/yr out here with bennies!

do it :)

#117 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Unless they're Ivy League

:D

(seriously, it depends on the position)

I take it from the emoticon that you were joking.
I know plenty of people who went to Ivy league schools solely because they were good at scoring touchdowns, or their Daddy graduated from one.