Photo

Sio, almost four years to the date of my adventure in looking for a new job...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#51 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Ooo, what was I thinking? Have you considered a career change? I know of an opportunity! :crazy:

#52 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Listen to TEO!!! :D

#53 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

So start scheming to break out of your cage and be free somewhere else...just don't maul lotsa shit on the way out...they put you in a different cage for that.

#54 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

That scheme requires.....wait for it.....wait for it.....

WAIT FOR IT.....

An employment opportunity. As much as i hate the system we have, it is the game we play. FRNs are needed and a constant stream of them at that.

#55 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

While it's far from easy, sometimes it takes reinventing yourself to get that employment opportunity.

SarahB mentioned she just completed that task. I'm a third of the way through a similar journey. Create your own system, don't let the system create you.

#56 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Right. Start ALL over again. Perhaps rack up a massive debt going back to school? Hoping that upon completion, the entire endeavor was worth the time spent.

The sooner this entire world economy comes crashing down the better. Survival I can do and do well. Playing silly little games created by morons? Not so much.

#57 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Right. Start ALL over again. Perhaps rack up a massive debt going back to school? Hoping that upon completion, the entire endeavor was worth the time spent.

Not that what works for me should work for you, but I'm in the very early planning stages of doing this very thing. And I think I have a few years on you...

#58 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,876 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Posted Image

#59 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,679 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

So is it that your "old" job has been kinda replaced with a new name which translates into shitty pay and bennies?

To be honest Im kinda lost on what exactly is up? I know you hate your current job and cant get out. But are you saying there are no other jobs in your field that can make a decent buck in metro NY?

#60 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Not that what works for me should work for you, but I'm in the very early planning stages of doing this very thing. And I think I have a few years on you...

And we both have the support of incredible partners in our lives...that counts for a ser bunch.

#61 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

So is it that your "old" job has been kinda replaced with a new name which translates into shitty pay and bennies?

To be honest Im kinda lost on what exactly is up? I know you hate your current job and cant get out. But are you saying there are no other jobs in your field that can make a decent buck in metro NY?

I had an interview with a recruiter that pretty much solidified what i already knew. Because of my current job, I am caught in this position with very little room to move back on track. It will be a literal miracle. There are not many jobs, no. After 4 years of searching Ive had one interview now with a recruiter for a better position. I have all the skills, but the title I hold fucks me over.

It is the same shit job for half market value Ive had for four years. Im n ot going anywhere unless it si back to school so i can throw out 10 years of building, or to jail for loosing my cool and curb stomping a fucktards brains out.

Those are my options.

#62 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,989 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Learning how to play the game is part of growing up. If you want to get out of the system, you need to gamble on yourself and, yeah, maybe accumulate some debt, in the process of training for a field that'll get you a job that'll enable you to pay it back. Welcome to rality. The only one who makes or breaks you is you. No whining, Ecclesiastes. There is no try, only do. Be your dream.

#63 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Oh, ima' do something alright.

#64 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I had an interview with a recruiter that pretty much solidified what i already knew. Because of my current job, I am caught in this position with very little room to move back on track. It will be a literal miracle. There are not many jobs, no. After 4 years of searching Ive had one interview now with a recruiter for a better position. I have all the skills, but the title I hold fucks me over.

It is the same shit job for half market value Ive had for four years. Im n ot going anywhere unless it si back to school so i can throw out 10 years of building, or to jail for loosing my cool and curb stomping a fucktards brains out.

Those are my options.

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but you don't throw it all away by getting on a different track...you have the skills, experience and wisdom of those 10 years.

How 'bout this...promise not to curbstomp anyone til August 6th...

#65 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Ooo, what was I thinking? Have you considered a career change? I know of an opportunity! :crazy:

Ahem, get you out of that city too.

#66 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Learning how to play the game is part of growing up. If you want to get out of the system, you need to gamble on yourself and, yeah, maybe accumulate some debt, in the process of training for a field that'll get you a job that'll enable you to pay it back. Welcome to rality. The only one who makes or breaks you is you. No whining, Ecclesiastes. There is no try, only do. Be your dream.

yup

It is not easy, but it sure as hell beats being stuck in a place where you're miserable and feel there is no where to go.

#67 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

Posted Image

Show me where I can apply for the gig that hands me a weekly paycheck for dancing in a green field, please! :lol:

Never worked in the corporate/cubical world, it *does* look like a bit of a nightmare... :shocked:

#68 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

yup

It is not easy, but it sure as hell beats being stuck in a place where you're miserable and feel there is no where to go.

I also like what i do, just not here for half pay at a quarter the brain power. There isn't a single thing i can think of to go back to school for that is a guarantee on return when complete.

#69 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ahem, get you out of that city too.

Are there two jobs that will cover the expenses and accumulation of current debt?

#70 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

TASB, you know I know what you're going through. I fucking BUILT and then MANAGED the infrastructure for a company that grew from 7 to over 100 peeps, and because of politics, personal bullshit, who knows, they "laid me off" when times got tough.

It sucked. I felt all of the same things that you are now. Still do, but it won't change a thing. I had to, you've got to, roll with it.

While looking around for a Manager of Infrastructure job, I noticed all of the Project Managment jobs, and they seemed to be paying even more that what I was before (although I was severely held back, no raise in the last 4 years). So I figured in order to keep moving, keep working and meet more folks in the field, I'd give it a shot.

Took about 1 month toobtain my PMP, and a month later a decent job.

Is it what I want to be doing ultimately? Nope. But I'm working, which I have to say working a shitty job is better than being broke. And I've got my eyes and ears open and I'm trying to make a name for myself as a leader. And a title does not make a leader.

Its all part of the journey. Soemtimes its bumpy, but it alwys smoothes out for a while if you let it.

If you want to chat in private, I'm here for you as well. Peace bro.

#71 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Are there two jobs that will cover the expenses and accumulation of current debt?

Yes, two jobs although neither fashionable. Depends on amount required to amortize current debt.

#72 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

elder :heart:

#73 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

At the risk of sounding "hippy dippy" ....you need to be happy... what makes you happy? DO THAT!

#74 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,679 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Why not go back to doing what you were doing before the shit job?

You have the tools and experience. Sometimes it takes a little "tinkering" of your resume to match a listed job. No one says you have to put your current job position on your resume. List your skills and be you, Im sure you can get back into the old field.

#75 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

Why not go back to doing what you were doing before the shit job?

You have the tools and experience. Sometimes it takes a little "tinkering" of your resume to match a listed job. No one says you have to put your current job position on your resume. List your skills and be you, Im sure you can get back into the old field.

Um, that's what Im trying to do. Get back inot a manager position in my career, instead of this corporate catch all butt fuck deal they call a "coordinator". Which doesn't mean anything. It's simply a manager without the title or the salary. Works out great fo the firm, at my expense.

#76 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,679 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

What is your old title actually? Don't you do building maintenance..not the hands on part, but as a manager?

#77 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

Manager, worked my way up from supervisor of maintenance. Downsize of dept. in 2008. Took job as coordinator. Been fucked ever since.

#78 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

aww man, this is a shitty thread. I'm so sorry Dave. did you already get the 'No thanks" or your just thinking you probably might. did you get the opportunity to tell the history of how you went from Manager to Coordinator? Maybe the fact that they downsized and still wanted to keep you, looks positive.

#79 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,658 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

Dave, I went back to school...Ryan's doing it and Tim's gearing up. It's kind of cool being able to accomplish all this on my own time, and on my own terms. Sure I'll have debt, but at least I'm getting something for it. I've decided to go into a master's program when I graduate in April. Someone like you would kick ass as an adult student. For so many people right now, school is the way to go. Besides...China Cat is an amazing resource when it comes to the mechanics and politics of collegiate happenings. She's an awesome prof and I'm blessed to have her to lean on. :heart:

Anyway...pigfuckers and shit...

My point is...do what you've got to do...

#80 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

If facilities management is what you're passionate about, have you looked at hotels? I'm not sure what your compensation goals are, but a facilities manager job at a major hotel in NYC will pay 90K+

It might take me a while, and I can't fully guarantee it, but I do have some Marriott and Hilton connections who might be able to get me the contact info for someone in corporate at those organizations who oversees such activities in Manhattan. Again, no guarantees as my connections are more front of the house related, but I'd certainly be willing to ask some questions of the people I know if you'd like.

#81 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I can only imagine what it's like to bash your head against a wall that just won't give to your might. heh. You don't seem to me to be a man satisfied with being relegated to position you do not choose. Well obviously, that's the present conundrum, I'm sorry for coming to the situation late. I wonder what it is about you that makes you think you are going to fit in that box, that preconceived notion of what you are and what you can bring to the table that will burst you into the success and gratification that you desire...I guess I just don't understand...from someone as yourself that so clearly sees how present systems do not work for so many....how could it possibly work for you?

I sure as hell don't mean to minimize your pain or struggle in your present circumstance, but fitting into or climbing the social order as it stands now sure seems well beneath your capabilities and talents.

#82 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Dibs on the shotgun. :wink:

#83 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

...from someone as yourself that so clearly sees how present systems do not work for so many....how could it possibly work for you?

I sure as hell don't mean to minimize your pain or struggle in your present circumstance, but fitting into or climbing the social order as it stands now sure seems well beneath your capabilities and talents.

Wisdom.

#84 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,657 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

The sooner this entire world economy comes crashing down the better. Survival I can do and do well. Playing silly little games created by morons? Not so much.

i dont think i have identified more with a post on this board
ever.

#85 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I can only imagine what it's like to bash your head against a wall that just won't give to your might. heh. You don't seem to me to be a man satisfied with being relegated to position you do not choose. Well obviously, that's the present conundrum, I'm sorry for coming to the situation late. I wonder what it is about you that makes you think you are going to fit in that box, that preconceived notion of what you are and what you can bring to the table that will burst you into the success and gratification that you desire...I guess I just don't understand...from someone as yourself that so clearly sees how present systems do not work for so many....how could it possibly work for you?

It is the game we play. Sure, I could ditch long held ideals for where I would like to go in life and succumb tot he notion that this entire society is completely fucked. In fact, i already know that. That does not mean I plan to sit around and wait for the end. I'll still play along and in so prepare myself for however it may unfold the best possible.

I do not seek gratification from my career. if that were the case, i'd still be lookign to make money playing music. That is a dead issue to me. I do what i do now because i am good at it, it can be challenging adn it PAYS well. I judge my personal career success on how many FRNs I can obtain on the basis of my services. Those little squares of paper, as unfortunate as it is, make the world go round. They are a necessary evil and the mor eof them I can claim, the more successful Im playing this moronic game. it's all ameans to an end.

#86 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

.. the more successful Im playing this moronic game. it's all ameans to an end.

yes it is. and as long as you supplement that world with the one that matters (many of us lead double lives around btw) its much more tolerable, sometimes even "not so bad".
its all in the perspective you choose to take.

wish I had found you at Vibes. we're cut from the same rock.
someday.

#87 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

someday.

Jeez people, why is this so hard? Greenfield, MA. September 14th. :)

#88 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Jeez people, why is this so hard? Greenfield, MA. September 14th. :)

With mine and my wife's schedules (she works every Saturday too) I am lucky to get the time away that I do.
Kids changed everything. Some things for the better, some I've had to sacrifice.

But my time away is only temporary. Kids grow. Things change, then change again.

This is why I say "someday"

#89 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yes elder, can you please pencil in Wormtown this year? You will not be disappointed. :grin:

#90 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,883 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have to respect that sacrifice having lived such myself. :heart:

TASB I hope you are able to improve your employment situation in the nearer future. :heart:

Yes, I think the two of you would have a hoot together. Hoping to bear witness to such.

#91 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes, I think the two of you would have a hoot together. Hoping to bear witness to such.

Top of my list for next year:

1. Hang w/ TASB
2. More TEO time

#92 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

With mine and my wife's schedules (she works every Saturday too) I am lucky to get the time away that I do.
Kids changed everything. Some things for the better, some I've had to sacrifice.

But my time away is only temporary. Kids grow. Things change, then change again.

This is why I say "someday"

I put out a tower fulla kibble and a big bowl of water. Seems to work pretty well. :funny1:

Much respect to you for what you're doing.

If there's any way you can make it to Wormtown, it's pretty wonderful. And if not that, Strangecreek next Memorial Day Weekend.

#93 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

dave...im mailing you a little something that might make you feel better :)

#94 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

i don't like this thread... just saying.

please no curbing stomping, brehm. :beer:

#95 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

dave...im mailing you a little something that might make you feel better :)

A cock sock?

#96 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

A cock sock?

better :D

#97 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,658 posts

A dildo?

#98 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

getting colder :lol:

#99 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,658 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

I say nice things and get ignored but talk about cock socks and Augie is all over it. :lol:

#100 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

its the important things in life that get my attention :lol: