Lucid Dreamers

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jojo

Jojo
  • VibeTribe
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

Anyone else out there a dreamer? I'd love to share experiences/tips/triggers. I have to admit, I've been slacking with keeping up with my dream journal. Dreams really do come easier and are easier to remember if you are in the practice of writing them down.

My last lucid dreaming experience was somewhat of a breakthrough for me. Usually I need to get a running start, or jump of a big building or cliff if I want to get flying. This time I was able to project myself above the houses, then back down to the ground, then back up, then back to the ground several times without having to flap my hands like a bird or jump off a cliff or any of that stuff. Haven't had a lucid experience since then though.

#2 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

I can only fly so fast no matter how hard I try. And why do I always choose to fly? And I never seem to go very high, I'm always pretty close to the ground. But I love to lucid dream. Another thing, is when I try to read in my dream, I either have to squint and can't see, or the words keep changing. There is some herb called dream herb or calea you can get on ebay that is supposed to make your dreams really intense. And why are my dreams always so freaky. I don't think I've ever had a normal or nice dream.

#3 Jojo

Jojo
  • VibeTribe
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

The words changing thing, that's supposed to happen, really. It's a trigger in your dreams to let you know that you are dreaming, and bring you into that higher state of consciencness.
Some other triggers to kick your dreams into high gear are looking at your hands, or a clock.

#4 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Only once did I look at my hands, that I can remember.

Here's a link to that dream herb, btw http://www.erowid.or...atechichi.shtml

Someday I'll try it out, I hear it tastes absolutely disgusting though.

#5 Jojo

Jojo
  • VibeTribe
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Some things you can try to trigger dreaming (lucid or otherwise)

Sleep in a different area...the couch, the floor, even sleeping with your head where your feet usually are can trigger dreams.

This next one is for a day when you don't have to go to work: Set your alarm clock to wake you up 2-3 hours before you usually do. This is when your REM state is the strongest.
Wake up for a few minutes...go to the bathroom, get a drink, or just sit up in bed. Don't stay up any longer than a few minutes though. When you go back to bed, your brain wants to fall quick and hard back into REM state. You're more likely to be "aware" in your dream and have a lucid experience.
Another one you'll want to try only if you don't have to wake up at a specific time the next day - eat complex carbohydrates right before going to bed. Yes it goes against everything you've learned about healthy eating and exercise, but it is what it is. The carbohydrates take a while for your body to process, making you want to sleep longer. I'm more likely to try out that one when I've been drinking. Course, when I've been drinking I find it's harder to remember my dreams. Go figure. :lol:

#6 Jesse D

Jesse D
  • VibeTribe
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

I can't stop dreaming about sex. No really. I think I've had like 3 dreams in the last month that weren't about sex... oh well, carry on!

#7 bast

bast
  • VibeTribe
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Some things you can try to trigger dreaming (lucid or otherwise)

Sleep in a different area...the couch, the floor, even sleeping with your head where your feet usually are can trigger dreams.

This next one is for a day when you don't have to go to work: Set your alarm clock to wake you up 2-3 hours before you usually do. This is when your REM state is the strongest.
Wake up for a few minutes...go to the bathroom, get a drink, or just sit up in bed. Don't stay up any longer than a few minutes though. When you go back to bed, your brain wants to fall quick and hard back into REM state. You're more likely to be "aware" in your dream and have a lucid experience.
Another one you'll want to try only if you don't have to wake up at a specific time the next day - eat complex carbohydrates right before going to bed. Yes it goes against everything you've learned about healthy eating and exercise, but it is what it is. The carbohydrates take a while for your body to process, making you want to sleep longer. I'm more likely to try out that one when I've been drinking. Course, when I've been drinking I find it's harder to remember my dreams. Go figure. :lol:

Thanks Jojo that was very insightful. I've been experiencing lucid dreaming for as long as I can remember, more so as a child obvious to me now, it was because of my craptacular diet.
When I was younger, every night I'd dose off and immediately my bed and I would begin to free fall. I'd land, and would visualize sitting up in my bed tuning the TV channel, but each channel showed a potential dream. Some were reoccurring, others were strange places I'd think about. At any point, if things got too heavy, I could zap myself back to the sitting up in my bed position and change the channel.
I should start writing my dreams down again too.:heart:

#8 bast

bast
  • VibeTribe
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

Another weird thing I was never a flier I've hovered over myself quite a bit, I've levitated, but never soared through the sky, I have however swam with the dolphins once after falling asleep watching discovery channel (most likely after a few beers).

#9 JamOnIt247

JamOnIt247
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

I was wondering if any of you have ever had extremely intense dreams when eating chocolate before bed time? I've had many different food items before bed time... and when I have chocolate.. dark chocolate mostly... my dreams are really out of this world! I find myself eating dark chocolate on purpose before bedtime!

just curious.

#10 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

hi dreamers :) i've done a lot of dream work but am super lazy. i don't write stuff down and i have the hardest time falling back asleep in the morning, even if i have a couple of hours i could be dreaming.

i can fly pretty much at will when i realize i'm dreaming. that's what i usually do because it's always the absolute coolest thing i can think of to do. i usually go about tree top level or lower but i've experimented with flying quite high. i find that i get uncomfortable if i go any higher than treetop level though.

#11 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

sometimes i have premonition dreams. like the last one i had (i posted it on the old board) about my son's girlfriend throwing a huge, raging fit at me. well, she threw it at him, but it was about what i dreamed about so my accuracy is close but not 100% :lol:

sometimes i have these dreams that are different from all my other dreams. i've probably had about a dozen or so of them my whole life. i call them "medicine dreams". they are the ones where i feel like i'm really learning something important from the cosmos, big messages.

lastly, i have dreams about friends when they die. the last one, a very old and dear friend had cancer. we'd been out of touch for years but i went a visited her when she was very sick and knew she only had a few months left. a few months after, i had the coolest dream about her. she was healthy (that's how my friends come back to me, healthy to tell me they are fine). i noted the date and a couple of weeks later, when i got official news that she passed, it was the night i had that dream. that's happened like 4 times in my life.

#12 Amber Morgaine

Amber Morgaine
  • VibeTribe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:36 AM

I've been aware & flying in a ton of my dreams lately.... I find I can help myself get lucid by focusing on what I want to dream about as I'm falling asleep... Last week I woke up in the middle of the night and fell back to sleep thinking of the lyrics to one of my songs "Whatever You Want"... I passed out on the line "Go right out the window" and promptly awoke in my dream to opening a window & flying out of it... lol...

I've never taken the herb mentioned above, but I do take a 3mg sublingual melatonin tablet whenever I have at least 8 hours to sleep... Melatonin is the chemical that your brain releases when you dream & your brain only makes melatonin when you sleep in the dark. There are 2 types of melatonin suppliments, but only the sublingual type effects your brain. (Sublingual means melt in your mouth & sublingual melatonin comes in fun flavors like peppermint & orange) You can find sublingual melatonin @ most health food stores with a decent vitamin section for around $6 a bottle. I don't reccomend taking it if you don't have at least 8 hours to sleep, or you will be a little sleepy still. I definitely have a tendency for way funkier dreams when I'm taking melatonin than when I stop it for a while.

#13 mario

mario
  • VibeTribe
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

When ever I fly in my dreams, it feels like the air is thick, and I am "swimming" in air. To get off the ground, I usually have to make some kind of swimming motion with my arms. Once I get moving, I can soar, and move with ease, but getting started, it's a strange experience.

#14 annieL

annieL
  • VibeTribe
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

Back when I was a great flyer in my dreams, I had this dream that I took someone for a fly and was showing off and flew straight for the sun as high as I could go ;which was apparently not safe and careless considering I had someone on my back; any way I lost control on my way down and landed safely in some canal in some city. When I climed out of the canal I was wearing this aweful outfit. It was aweful, I was embarrased and there was nothing I could do. they were my clothes.

#15 aVAdeadhead

aVAdeadhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Whenever I want to fly in a dream, I usually get a runninng start. I haven't just been able to levitate by will yet but I'm working on it!

#16 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

I can fly but I have a hard time controlling my altitude. I frequently "float" uncontrollably until I'm really far bar above the ground and it freaks me out. I'd say I end up about 5,000 feet or so?

I'm going to look for the sublingual melatonin.

#17 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Tyler gave me this great book which may be of interest for anyone who is interested in lucid dreaming:

Posted Image

#18 megmyster

megmyster
  • VibeTribe
  • 986 posts
  • LocationNo place, like the right time

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion...gave the book a start today! :)

#19 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Cool, enjoy your dreaming! :)